USMB Coffee Shop IV

In the 1970's I briefly attended a painting class by a lady named Gladys Mayer, who knew Rudolph Steiner and was a student of his painting style. The above picture is not by her, but is in her style. Probably by one of her students. Unfortunately nobody seems to have put her pictures on the internet. But I remember them as beautiful when I visited her house. Tragically I heard she was knocked down and killed by a motorcycle.
Sorry to hear your painter instructor died. Prayers up! ^

If you are interested in painting, Gladys Mayer wrote a couple of books on colour, and they are for sale on amazon. I have copies which I brought from her in the 1970's and I wish now I had spent more time in her class.

Here is a link about Gladys, with a photo of her standing in front of one of her pictures.

Gladys Mayer | anthropopper
Thanks, Dajjal. I already paint, except my paint is neither from tubes, cans, bottles, nor boxes of powder. My paintbrush is a needle, and my color comes from broadcloth and preprinted calicos with a few batiks thrown in now and then. when the sketch is made, it is a quilt top, and to finish it often takes more time than the sketch. Its frame is a double fold of bias binding, and most of my patrons receive my work through a quilter's charity bees group. If I knew how to take pictures, someone would have to explain how to use a camera over and over until the information finally sunk in, and I could have pictures. My husband of 44 years used to photograph them, but he died two and a half years ago, so now, I just yammer about other people's quilts at my quilt thread that was remanded to the archives in Arts and Crafts where other artists share their stuff. Artful Homemade Quilts Have A Way . The only quilts I can show were pictures of old quilts I made, which I found in the archives here. Unfortunately, my old avatar had some pictures saved, but I can't access from there since I have no idea what my password is there. We went through a phase of having to replace passwords with a new assigned one due to security, and I couldn't remember my old mail address password for information nor the new password I used only once after putting my old laptop on "remember password," or something novel like that, and I can't find my old book in which I had recorded passwords to websites I was a member of. lol My husband's dementia case had strange outcomes, because all my other important papers disappeared also as his illness changed his behavior from being a strong man of answers to a childlike person who'd drive until he ran out of gas, and when the sheriff in the area of our parked truck would call me, I'd sometimes have to drive 200 miles to go and get him, buy gas, and drive 2 cars home, usually with my sister's husband's assistance. That's why I had to leave USMB. He needed to be watched constantly, which means I couldn't spend 5 minutes online to say sayonara nor think about anything except where he was at all times. He was too proud to ask for permission to drive his own car, because he knew the answer would be that I would be the driver. People with his form of dementia can seem to be deliberately ornery, but they're not. They forget to remember they are not supposed to drive, and once when he was in a nursing facility for another health issue, a nurse had to tackle him after a chase that lasted half an hour. He was running toward a nearby busy street because he decided to go somewhere, but he didn't remember where he was nor why he was there. They ended their care for him 2 days later. When he got home, I could pretty much contain him, but I tried to be sure he was happy because he still had enough focus to enjoy a movie, so I made sure that every day he had 3 or 4 cds to watch by gleaning them at Goodwill and some antique shops that had cds for sale for under $4 each. Housework and living details suffered for the next few months, and it was always safe to let him walk the dog when he felt up to it, but that came to a halt when he lost his speech the week before he died. He was watching a video, and I thought he just fell asleep as he often did when watching, but he didn't wake up when I asked him how he liked the movie, there was no response. scuse my reliving the worst day of my life. I had to relearn how to live on my own, and it took a couple of years. I'm still learning new stuff about getting by in life every day without wonderful him.
I don't know what to say except............:11_2_1043:

My shoe saga.....

A few weeks ago I ordered a pair of Skechers loafers, selected XW (extra-wide)........ A pair of wide fit shows up. It's via Amazon so I send them back asking for the XW...... A week later the shoes show up..... yup, wide not XW. Either someone doesn't know the difference or the shoes, despite being advertised in XW don't come in XW in that style. Finally send them back and order a different style that arrives today, the hard print on the box says they're extra-wide but the sticker only says wide....... Try em on and that are indeed XW. Finally......

The shoes I wanted.

mens-modern-comfort-skechers-diameter-brown.jpg

The ones I settled for.

64589_COG.jpg

These are almost exactly the ones I'm replacing, the ones that are completely broken in, ratty, worn soles and comfortable..... :lol:

Having a 4E width can suck sometimes.

I've figured out they don't make shoes in my size so I mostly just make do. But a good shoe can make all the difference I have three collapsed vertebrae in my back that can really give me fits. But if I wear the right shoe, the arch support and other support it gives me affects my posture and movement and makes all the difference in the pain level. And for what it is worth, aesthetically I like the shoe you finally got more than the shoe you wanted. :)

Have you talked to your doctor about writing a prescription to purchase orthopedic shoes? My wife and I did about 25 years ago and lower back pain went away. The doctor can direct you to an orthopedic shoe store where you pick out any style shoe and then you step in a box that looks like Etch-A-Sketch and stand in it to make a mold. Then they make a pair of insoles from the mold and put it into the shoe you picked . The results are amazing. Medicare will pay all or part of the cost for the insoles. If you try to go back to regular shoes you will notice the difference immediately.

Thanks for the tip and if it comes to it, I'll consider that. But for now I do very well with a good walking or running shoe or any other with proper arch support that gives me good posture. As opposed to my beloved soft sole Minnetonka moccasins that I prefer to wear around the house. :) If I'm up doing housework or cooking or something else that has me on my feet for some time, my back will be killing me if I'm wearing those moccasins. Switch to good shoes and I am much better. A daily hemp oil capsule (little or no thc) and an occasional ibuprophen or naproxen keeps me up and running very nicely.

I do recommend the hemp oil. When I remember to take it I need very little pain med if any at all.

Just came on here, and saw this.....coincidence.

I bought some hemp oil today from the health shop. I shall take it daily off a spoon.

Just make sure it isn't the potent stuff with a lot of thc. I order capsules on line (through Amazon) and they contain little or no thc--certainly too small an amount to affect a drug test--but it does seem to significantly reduce the pain level without the downsides of the NSAIDS.

What is thc?

I've developed problems with my shoulder.

I've figured out they don't make shoes in my size so I mostly just make do. But a good shoe can make all the difference I have three collapsed vertebrae in my back that can really give me fits. But if I wear the right shoe, the arch support and other support it gives me affects my posture and movement and makes all the difference in the pain level. And for what it is worth, aesthetically I like the shoe you finally got more than the shoe you wanted. :)

Have you talked to your doctor about writing a prescription to purchase orthopedic shoes? My wife and I did about 25 years ago and lower back pain went away. The doctor can direct you to an orthopedic shoe store where you pick out any style shoe and then you step in a box that looks like Etch-A-Sketch and stand in it to make a mold. Then they make a pair of insoles from the mold and put it into the shoe you picked . The results are amazing. Medicare will pay all or part of the cost for the insoles. If you try to go back to regular shoes you will notice the difference immediately.

Thanks for the tip and if it comes to it, I'll consider that. But for now I do very well with a good walking or running shoe or any other with proper arch support that gives me good posture. As opposed to my beloved soft sole Minnetonka moccasins that I prefer to wear around the house. :) If I'm up doing housework or cooking or something else that has me on my feet for some time, my back will be killing me if I'm wearing those moccasins. Switch to good shoes and I am much better. A daily hemp oil capsule (little or no thc) and an occasional ibuprophen or naproxen keeps me up and running very nicely.

I do recommend the hemp oil. When I remember to take it I need very little pain med if any at all.

I bought some hemp oil today from the health shop. I shall take it daily off a spoon.

Just make sure it isn't the potent stuff with a lot of thc. I order capsules on line (through Amazon) and they contain little or no thc--certainly too small an amount to affect a drug test--but it does seem to significantly reduce the pain level without the downsides of the NSAIDS.

What is thc?

Hope she answers soon. I have a sore toe.

What is thc?

THC is the ingredient in cannabis that makes you high.

Bad shoulder--might be arthritis or in my case adhesive capsulitis or 'frozen shoulder' syndrome. I can use my left shoulder/arm just fine with some limitations and some pain now and then. Have had cortisone shots and physical therapy but oh well. Could be worse.

But the hemp oil does help. Keeps in inflammation down in my shoulder and in my back that significantly eases the pain without resorting to pain killers with a lot of unwanted side effects.

It's a good time of year, but too cold...Brrr

49938421_2020778661332376_8452601814414524416_n.jpg

Is that where you live? What I know of Russian winters is from WWII footage of the German invasion in which the weather always looked dreadful. Or from the movie Dr. Zhivago and that scene of the country house all encased in sparkling ice.

With a country as large and diverse as yours is in terrain and climate I know my personal impressions are really silly and naive, but I sort of like them. :)

In the 1970's I briefly attended a painting class by a lady named Gladys Mayer, who knew Rudolph Steiner and was a student of his painting style. The above picture is not by her, but is in her style. Probably by one of her students. Unfortunately nobody seems to have put her pictures on the internet. But I remember them as beautiful when I visited her house. Tragically I heard she was knocked down and killed by a motorcycle.

If you are interested in painting, Gladys Mayer wrote a couple of books on colour, and they are for sale on amazon. I have copies which I brought from her in the 1970's and I wish now I had spent more time in her class.

Here is a link about Gladys, with a photo of her standing in front of one of her pictures.

Thanks, Dajjal. I already paint, except my paint is neither from tubes, cans, bottles, nor boxes of powder. My paintbrush is a needle, and my color comes from broadcloth and preprinted calicos with a few batiks thrown in now and then. when the sketch is made, it is a quilt top, and to finish it often takes more time than the sketch. Its frame is a double fold of bias binding, and most of my patrons receive my work through a quilter's charity bees group. If I knew how to take pictures, someone would have to explain how to use a camera over and over until the information finally sunk in, and I could have pictures. My husband of 44 years used to photograph them, but he died two and a half years ago, so now, I just yammer about other people's quilts at my quilt thread that was remanded to the archives in Arts and Crafts where other artists share their stuff. Artful Homemade Quilts Have A Way . The only quilts I can show were pictures of old quilts I made, which I found in the archives here. Unfortunately, my old avatar had some pictures saved, but I can't access from there since I have no idea what my password is there. We went through a phase of having to replace passwords with a new assigned one due to security, and I couldn't remember my old mail address password for information nor the new password I used only once after putting my old laptop on "remember password," or something novel like that, and I can't find my old book in which I had recorded passwords to websites I was a member of. lol My husband's dementia case had strange outcomes, because all my other important papers disappeared also as his illness changed his behavior from being a strong man of answers to a childlike person who'd drive until he ran out of gas, and when the sheriff in the area of our parked truck would call me, I'd sometimes have to drive 200 miles to go and get him, buy gas, and drive 2 cars home, usually with my sister's husband's assistance. That's why I had to leave USMB. He needed to be watched constantly, which means I couldn't spend 5 minutes online to say sayonara nor think about anything except where he was at all times. He was too proud to ask for permission to drive his own car, because he knew the answer would be that I would be the driver. People with his form of dementia can seem to be deliberately ornery, but they're not. They forget to remember they are not supposed to drive, and once when he was in a nursing facility for another health issue, a nurse had to tackle him after a chase that lasted half an hour. He was running toward a nearby busy street because he decided to go somewhere, but he didn't remember where he was nor why he was there. They ended their care for him 2 days later. When he got home, I could pretty much contain him, but I tried to be sure he was happy because he still had enough focus to enjoy a movie, so I made sure that every day he had 3 or 4 cds to watch by gleaning them at Goodwill and some antique shops that had cds for sale for under $4 each. Housework and living details suffered for the next few months, and it was always safe to let him walk the dog when he felt up to it, but that came to a halt when he lost his speech the week before he died. He was watching a video, and I thought he just fell asleep as he often did when watching, but he didn't wake up when I asked him how he liked the movie, there was no response. scuse my reliving the worst day of my life. I had to relearn how to live on my own, and it took a couple of years. I'm still learning new stuff about getting by in life every day without wonderful him.

First of all....I am so very sorry for your loss :smiliehug:

Even though my husband hasn't been officially diagnosed with dementia, much of his behaviors sound very much like your husbands. But my husband's mental capacity is unpredictable as some times he seems to be very aware, understands and remembers.....then other times not so much...and other times somewhere in between 'knowing' and 'lost'. And those times, I'm not sure if he's 'with us' or in his own little world as he can make sensible enough conversation, but it still leaves me wondering if he realizes or not. It's almost like being in a parallel mentality....if that makes any sense.

These last few days he's been something of a handful. Late Saturday/early Sunday we had a big wind storm & lost power. He became agitated even though we got him hooked up to the big oxygen tank and several flashlights....which he kept shining just to have the light, even at 2am. But he wanted us to find the propane lanterns and to hook up the generator. I tried to explain to him that being so late, we didn't really need those things right now and they could wait until morning. Then he kept asking for the keys which we reminded him he couldn't drive. Our son hid all the keys, just to be sure he didn't take off while we slept. Then our son heard something, and found him in the garage. After he got him back in the house, we finally went to bed......at 4am

Then last evening he awoke and got up to use the bathroom, but had done so too suddenly and blacked out and landed with a crash. At first he didn't respond right away when I asked if he was alright. I knew he was still alive because I could hear him breathing. But it did concern me that he remained unconscious for a good minute or two after falling. Once we got him conscious and back into bed, he was fine other than a couple of bumps & scratches.

We had 'THAT' conversation again today.....about what is best for his care, to stay home or go to a facility. For now we agreed for him to stay home, but have a caregiver come in now & then, just so I can get away for some down time.
Thanks, Just. It's been 2.5 years ago that he passed.

Hope you have a good neurologist nat his disposal.. And a registered naturopath if all else fails. One of these mornings, they're gonna find a cure. Some say they already have. I never had that option without a computer. If he gets confused and attacks you, you will need help. Keep the sheriff's number written down by the phone. If he disappears, do not wait around until he calls. Use the sheriff's, constable's, or police's number you wrote down by the phone. If he plays hide the phone, be sure you have another somewhere, or have your landline restored if you don't already have one. Be sure you have the emergency room/hospital's phone number right close as well.

No matter what he says or does, reassure him that you love him. Try to say it as kindly as you can under duress, and remind him of all the good things he did that make you proud of him. One night my husband carved a slit in my middle toe. Instead of understanding, I was really mad and told him in no uncertain terms that if he ever hurt me again, that I would hurt him back. That was definitely not a good thing to say, and I will regret saying it till my dying day, because he was always reserved, thoughtful, and the best good friend I ever had, through thick and thin. It could have led to dire consequences, and that's what bothers me about my shock of both pain and him standing over me with my toe bleeding from the bifurcation of the toenail and soft tissue cut. I also said something else like "I do not like being your jailer." Because he was always disappearing. It bothers me that I said something like that to no end. They keep wandering, and saying stupid stuff like I did could lead to depression of one or both of you. I just hope and pray that if he truly has the disease you can be kind under fire like Jesus was the day they tried and killed him. Be sure and stay in touch with medical advances, just in case there's a breakthrough or some new medication that prevents the wandering.. I thought my keeping him at home would enable him to remain a free man. It did. That's the sole comfort I had for keeping him at home. The neurologist may be able to give him some kind of comfort and reverse symptoms that can be crazymakers in any home.

Experts are now calling Alzheimer's Disease "Diabetes III." Autoimmune diseases can be heinous, not to mention disabling. My prayers are up for you and your husband. I hope you learned something from my regrets. Big hug for you, Justanother. :huddle:

I just realized that raisins are grape jerky and prunes are plum jerky. Who knew?

Back in elementary school they used to serve stewed prunes in the school lunch and I think I was probably the only kid that went back for seconds. I've always loved prunes. I even have my own tree now..
You probably like lima beans also...... I knew right off your were strange...... :D

I may be strange, but that's where I draw the line, at lima beans..:04:

In my opinion everybody should draw the line at lima beans. And their sister butter beans. I hated them as a kid and I still do. I was told as a child I had to eat them and could not leave the table until I did. I hid a lot of them under the dining room rug. :)

I don't think I've ever had butter beans, but my parents were much the same about food. You have to eat what's provided and not leave the table until you do. I didn't like lima's, but Dad suggested adding ketchup to change the flavor. He didn't understand I wasn't a big fan of ketchup either, but it did help to improve the flavor of the lima's. But I've never eaten them since and hubs never liked them either, yet we both enjoy other types of beans. And anytime we have ham, it's assured ham & bean soup with cornbread will be in the near future.

IMO, ketchup only belongs on French fries and meatloaf.

I just realized that raisins are grape jerky and prunes are plum jerky. Who knew?

Back in elementary school they used to serve stewed prunes in the school lunch and I think I was probably the only kid that went back for seconds. I've always loved prunes. I even have my own tree now..
You probably like lima beans also...... I knew right off your were strange...... :D

I may be strange, but that's where I draw the line, at lima beans..:04:

In my opinion everybody should draw the line at lima beans. And their sister butter beans. I hated them as a kid and I still do. I was told as a child I had to eat them and could not leave the table until I did. I hid a lot of them under the dining room rug. :)

I don't think I've ever had butter beans, but my parents were much the same about food. You have to eat what's provided and not leave the table until you do. I didn't like lima's, but Dad suggested adding ketchup to change the flavor. He didn't understand I wasn't a big fan of ketchup either, but it did help to improve the flavor of the lima's. But I've never eaten them since and hubs never liked them either, yet we both enjoy other types of beans. And anytime we have ham, it's assured ham & bean soup with cornbread will be in the near future.

IMO, ketchup only belongs on French fries and meatloaf.
Ketchup on french fries........ Heathen!!!!

I remember the classic frozen mixed vegetables had lima beans, that never bothered me because the were mixed with other vegetables. One vegetable I hated was brussels sprouts until I discovered malt vinegar, cook the sprouts then soak in malt vinegar. :thup:

First of all....I am so very sorry for your loss :smiliehug:

Even though my husband hasn't been officially diagnosed with dementia, much of his behaviors sound very much like your husbands. But my husband's mental capacity is unpredictable as some times he seems to be very aware, understands and remembers.....then other times not so much...and other times somewhere in between 'knowing' and 'lost'. And those times, I'm not sure if he's 'with us' or in his own little world as he can make sensible enough conversation, but it still leaves me wondering if he realizes or not. It's almost like being in a parallel mentality....if that makes any sense.

These last few days he's been something of a handful. Late Saturday/early Sunday we had a big wind storm & lost power. He became agitated even though we got him hooked up to the big oxygen tank and several flashlights....which he kept shining just to have the light, even at 2am. But he wanted us to find the propane lanterns and to hook up the generator. I tried to explain to him that being so late, we didn't really need those things right now and they could wait until morning. Then he kept asking for the keys which we reminded him he couldn't drive. Our son hid all the keys, just to be sure he didn't take off while we slept. Then our son heard something, and found him in the garage. After he got him back in the house, we finally went to bed......at 4am

Then last evening he awoke and got up to use the bathroom, but had done so too suddenly and blacked out and landed with a crash. At first he didn't respond right away when I asked if he was alright. I knew he was still alive because I could hear him breathing. But it did concern me that he remained unconscious for a good minute or two after falling. Once we got him conscious and back into bed, he was fine other than a couple of bumps & scratches.

We had 'THAT' conversation again today.....about what is best for his care, to stay home or go to a facility. For now we agreed for him to stay home, but have a caregiver come in now & then, just so I can get away for some down time.
Thanks, Just. It's been 2.5 years ago that he passed.

Hope you have a good neurologist nat his disposal.. And a registered naturopath if all else fails. One of these mornings, they're gonna find a cure. Some say they already have. I never had that option without a computer. If he gets confused and attacks you, you will need help. Keep the sheriff's number written down by the phone. If he disappears, do not wait around until he calls. Use the sheriff's, constable's, or police's number you wrote down by the phone. If he plays hide the phone, be sure you have another somewhere, or have your landline restored if you don't already have one. Be sure you have the emergency room/hospital's phone number right close as well.

No matter what he says or does, reassure him that you love him. Try to say it as kindly as you can under duress, and remind him of all the good things he did that make you proud of him. One night my husband carved a slit in my middle toe. Instead of understanding, I was really mad and told him in no uncertain terms that if he ever hurt me again, that I would hurt him back. That was definitely not a good thing to say, and I will regret saying it till my dying day, because he was always reserved, thoughtful, and the best good friend I ever had, through thick and thin. It could have led to dire consequences, and that's what bothers me about my shock of both pain and him standing over me with my toe bleeding from the bifurcation of the toenail and soft tissue cut. I also said something else like "I do not like being your jailer." Because he was always disappearing. It bothers me that I said something like that to no end. They keep wandering, and saying stupid stuff like I did could lead to depression of one or both of you. I just hope and pray that if he truly has the disease you can be kind under fire like Jesus was the day they tried and killed him. Be sure and stay in touch with medical advances, just in case there's a breakthrough or some new medication that prevents the wandering.. I thought my keeping him at home would enable him to remain a free man. It did. That's the sole comfort I had for keeping him at home. The neurologist may be able to give him some kind of comfort and reverse symptoms that can be crazymakers in any home.

Experts are now calling Alzheimer's Disease "Diabetes III." Autoimmune diseases can be heinous, not to mention disabling. My prayers are up for you and your husband. I hope you learned something from my regrets. Big hug for you, Justanother. :huddle:

I am so sorry hun, I can't imagine what you must have went thru You are a stronger person than I could ever be. Please don't live your life in regret or to let it bother you for being human under such circumstances. I realize that's hard to do, because you loved him & knew whatever he did, it wasn't intentional or that he realized what he was doing. I would think he didn't hold it against you, and you shouldn't either. :smiliehug:

Thankfully my husband isn't in the same degree. When his mind wanders, he's like a sleepwalker, that you're not supposed to argue with or wake up. Most of the time I just play along with him, but there are sometimes that I've lost patience and argued with him. There are other times when he is coherent and engaging. I've mentioned his behaviors to the Dr and she said it's more from the effects of the drugs he's been on for nearly 3 years.

Though I don't think he has the strength to go very far without help so I don't think he'd wander far and I really hope I'm not speaking too soon. But if he does become a problem, either wandering or attacking me or the boys, then I will put him in a home or facility for everyone's safety.

I remember the classic frozen mixed vegetables had lima beans, that never bothered me because the were mixed with other vegetables. One vegetable I hated was brussels sprouts until I discovered malt vinegar, cook the sprouts then soak in malt vinegar. :thup:

In truth, there's not a lot of foods that I won't eat. Except Kimchi, I don't even be in the same room as that nasty crap *shudder*…...or weird stuff like bugs or worms or things like that.

And that ketchup on fries??? Homemade fries with real potatoes and lots of salt, with a glob of ketchup on the side for dipping YUM

In truth, there's not a lot of foods that I won't eat. Except Kimchi, I don't even be in the same room as that nasty crap *shudder*…...or weird stuff like bugs or worms or things like that.

And that ketchup on fries??? Homemade fries with real potatoes and lots of salt, with a glob of ketchup on the side for dipping YUM
Nope not even ketchup on home fries. I won't put ketchup on baked or mashed potatoes so why would I put ketchup on fried potatoes? As for fries give me boardwalk fries with malted vinegar..... absolute heaven!!
Pretty much the only things I put ketchup on are meatloaf and hamburgers.

Forum List

Back