USMB Coffee Shop IV

It's a good time of year, but too cold...Brrr

49938421_2020778661332376_8452601814414524416_n.jpg

Is that where you live? What I know of Russian winters is from WWII footage of the German invasion in which the weather always looked dreadful. Or from the movie Dr. Zhivago and that scene of the country house all encased in sparkling ice.

With a country as large and diverse as yours is in terrain and climate I know my personal impressions are really silly and naive, but I sort of like them. :)

I think, all Germans from WWII winter forests near the Moscow now work at Russian municipal services. Because for them winter with a snowfalls "suddenly coming" every year, lol :)

Yes, this photo is typical for Russian December or January, and beautiful snow is a great compensation for cold weather.

Hm, if you mean Dr. Zhivago by David Lean - it would be interesting to watch it. Wiki says there are a some kitches in film - it would be interesting too, lol :) But in opposite I remember "Panfilov's 28" movie (), they have at least trailer at English. This is good reconstruction, so since I've seen it another movies about war I compare with it.

I remember the classic frozen mixed vegetables had lima beans, that never bothered me because the were mixed with other vegetables. One vegetable I hated was brussels sprouts until I discovered malt vinegar, cook the sprouts then soak in malt vinegar. :thup:

In truth, there's not a lot of foods that I won't eat. Except Kimchi, I don't even be in the same room as that nasty crap *shudder*…...or weird stuff like bugs or worms or things like that.

And that ketchup on fries??? Homemade fries with real potatoes and lots of salt, with a glob of ketchup on the side for dipping YUM
Nope not even ketchup on home fries. I won't put ketchup on baked or mashed potatoes so why would I put ketchup on fried potatoes? As for fries give me boardwalk fries with malted vinegar..... absolute heaven!!
Pretty much the only things I put ketchup on are meatloaf and hamburgers.

Ketchup is a lifeline, when you forced to eat not so tasty food, being at diet :)
But these week I'm eating "okroshka" every evening. I just take scallion, green peas, chicken meat and boiled eggs and mix them all with kefir and a bit of salt - it's awesome soup!

I remember the classic frozen mixed vegetables had lima beans, that never bothered me because the were mixed with other vegetables. One vegetable I hated was brussels sprouts until I discovered malt vinegar, cook the sprouts then soak in malt vinegar. :thup:

I'm not sure I would want the malt vinegar on my sprouts. The only way to have brussel sprouts is to cut them in half toss them in olive oil, salt, and pepper (preferably freshly ground black pepper) and spread them cut side down on a cookie sheet or jelly roll pan and roast in the oven at 400 degrees f for 25-30 minutes or until lightly charred in spots on top and the cut sides are toasted. They are good just like that or sprinkle a little Italian seasoning or parmesan on to serve.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Saveliberty's mom for successful surgery and quick healing
TheLiq and family who need prayers and positive vibes now
Drifter's friend's mother now homeless
Montrovant in difficult transition
Nosmo's mom back in the hospital
Drifter for smooth sailing in her new job.

JustAnotherNut for strength and wisdom dealing with challenges.
Beautress's friend EJ undergoing chemo.
Gracie & Mr. G for positive trend to continue.
Ringel and Mrs. R facing serious health challenges with resulting financial challenges.
GallantWarrior for healing and wellness.
All those we love and care about who aren't on the list.

And we keep the porch light on so those who have been away can find their way back and we rejoice when they do!!!

Cats-and-Dogs-Sleeping-Together-Are-so-Cute-Youll-Melt-07.jpg

I just realized that raisins are grape jerky and prunes are plum jerky. Who knew?

Back in elementary school they used to serve stewed prunes in the school lunch and I think I was probably the only kid that went back for seconds. I've always loved prunes. I even have my own tree now..
You probably like lima beans also...... I knew right off your were strange...... :D

I may be strange, but that's where I draw the line, at lima beans..:04:

In my opinion everybody should draw the line at lima beans. And their sister butter beans. I hated them as a kid and I still do. I was told as a child I had to eat them and could not leave the table until I did. I hid a lot of them under the dining room rug. :)

I don't think I've ever had butter beans, but my parents were much the same about food. You have to eat what's provided and not leave the table until you do. I didn't like lima's, but Dad suggested adding ketchup to change the flavor. He didn't understand I wasn't a big fan of ketchup either, but it did help to improve the flavor of the lima's. But I've never eaten them since and hubs never liked them either, yet we both enjoy other types of beans. And anytime we have ham, it's assured ham & bean soup with cornbread will be in the near future.

IMO, ketchup only belongs on French fries and meatloaf.

Butter Beans are large dried Limas, usually served on top of cornbread and cooked with ham/salt pork in them.

I like them!

In truth, there's not a lot of foods that I won't eat. Except Kimchi, I don't even be in the same room as that nasty crap *shudder*…...or weird stuff like bugs or worms or things like that.

And that ketchup on fries??? Homemade fries with real potatoes and lots of salt, with a glob of ketchup on the side for dipping YUM
Nope not even ketchup on home fries. I won't put ketchup on baked or mashed potatoes so why would I put ketchup on fried potatoes? As for fries give me boardwalk fries with malted vinegar..... absolute heaven!!

And you call me strange????? Are you a Canuck, hey?

Back in elementary school they used to serve stewed prunes in the school lunch and I think I was probably the only kid that went back for seconds. I've always loved prunes. I even have my own tree now..
You probably like lima beans also...... I knew right off your were strange...... :D

In my opinion everybody should draw the line at lima beans. And their sister butter beans. I hated them as a kid and I still do. I was told as a child I had to eat them and could not leave the table until I did. I hid a lot of them under the dining room rug. :)

I don't think I've ever had butter beans, but my parents were much the same about food. You have to eat what's provided and not leave the table until you do. I didn't like lima's, but Dad suggested adding ketchup to change the flavor. He didn't understand I wasn't a big fan of ketchup either, but it did help to improve the flavor of the lima's. But I've never eaten them since and hubs never liked them either, yet we both enjoy other types of beans. And anytime we have ham, it's assured ham & bean soup with cornbread will be in the near future.

Butter Beans are large dried Limas, usually served on top of cornbread and cooked with ham/salt pork in them.

I like them!

Then no thanks and definitely not on top of my cornbread

I have seen malted vinegar on fries..and I think fried fish before.

It's a thing, I suppose. :dunno:

I like them!

Then no thanks and definitely not on top of my cornbread

Don't knock it 'til you try it. 1000% tastier than green Limas.

Yes, Skippers or Ivars (fish & chips food places), serve malted vinegar as a condiment. It is great on the fish, meh on fries

Yes, Skippers or Ivars (fish & chips food places), serve malted vinegar as a condiment. It is great on the fish, meh on fries

It's not a stretch that when the fries are right next to the fish...like chocolate n peanut butter.

It's not a stretch that when the fries are right next to the fish...like chocolate n peanut butter.

Maybe for some, but I'll take a bite of the fish, then pour the vinegar inside.....so it doesn't touch my fries.

and don't even include chocolate & peanut butter.....that's a whole different story

I just realized that raisins are grape jerky and prunes are plum jerky. Who knew?

What's a cheeseburger without ketchup and "meatloaf" should be smothered in mushroom gravy.

(okay sure, it could be barbequed)

.. but .. we can still be friends... :)

Last edited:

What's a cheeseburger without ketchup and "meatloaf" should be smothered in mushroom gravy.

Cheeseburger with mayo, mustard, lettuce and onions. No gravy on meatloaf, but Salisbury Steak with mushroom gravy is great

Cheeseburger with mayo, mustard, lettuce and onions. No gravy on meatloaf, but Salisbury Steak with mushroom gravy is great

Oh, as for me, I prefer hamburger with venison. Really tasty

Oh, as for me, I prefer hamburger with venison. Really tasty

Venison burger??? Yep, that's even better, or elk burger

Salt & vinegar on fries is great if you don't overdo the malt vinegar right away (acquired taste) but ketchup or ketchup & mayo is usually my preference.

Salt & vinegar on fries is great if you don't overdo the malt vinegar right away (acquired taste) but ketchup or ketchup & mayo is usually my preference.

Also dipping fries in a shake, or tartar sauce is pretty good too. That's how my husband liked to eat them

Okay .. close enough but could I negotiate for avocado and a least thin sliced tomato..

btw .... :th_yourecute:

Forum List

Back