USMB Coffee Shop IV

Morning all! Today is National Hammock Day.

hammock-day.jpg

29fb6fdfbc67cb48e3c9fa3defbb0906.jpg

Good morning all. After everybody was up at O-dark-thirty to get Uncle Ed to the hospital by 6:30 a.m. yesterday morning and then a loooooooong day at the hospital, we were all pretty trashed last night. I fell asleep on the couch, slept right through the vigil posting--sorry about that. The doc said the surgery went well though and he should be released later this morning or early afternoon and Aunt Betty and I will go get him. (Hombre has his volunteer job at the hospital today.)

But Hombre was really worn out and slept in this morning--he almost never does that--so I jumped up and rushed around and got the trash barrels rolled out. The first truck has been coming close to 8 a.m. for weeks now. So I rush around, get the cart out to the curb and it is now 8:41 and haven't seen hide nor hair of him nor do I hear him working anywhere in the neighborhood. That wouldn't fall within Murphy's Law I think but there must be some sort of syndrome for that?

I wouldn't want chocolate syrup on that ice cream up there--for me it is barely thawed frozen strawberries with lots of juice. Chocolate is okay in a pinch though. :)

My last go around with dishonest repair shops, I was told that the air conditioner in my car was fried and I would need a new one at something like $500 or so. I had the presence of mind to get a second opinion. The second opinion guy quickly identified the problem, fixed it, and charged me $20. Moral of story: if it just seems a bit odd or too coincidental or you otherwise aren't 100% confident, that second opinion can save you a bundle.

More coffee. . . .

Just a quick observation up there. . . Mertex's bacon up there is just a tad underdone for me. I want my bacon just exactly to the crisp, but not overly brittle stage--no soft spots.

Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for
Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Sunshine,
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Sheila’s friend Shirley,
Spoonie, Ringel, and Sheila's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
BDBoop, her sis, and family,
Hombre,
Pix,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Sheila and son Andrew,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj and Nana and friend Tracy,
Sheila's sore foot post surgery healing,
Stat's aunt,
Smilebong for his brother-in-law and family,
Complete healing for Mrs. Ringel and assurance for Ringel
Ollie, Mrs O and family in the loss of their Angie,
Bloodrock's father-in-law in Germany,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
All who are dealing with colds and flu,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Bigfoot, Oddball, and Sunshine.

candle.gif

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you all for keeping vigil for my brother in law. He passwed away, and we are having a memorial for him at the Coudersport, PA Legion Club this Saturday.

Just now saw this. So sorry for your loss Smilebong. We'll keep vigil with you and yours through the memorial service.

Not much you can fix on an air conditioner for $20. Hopefully just a loose connection and a recharge. Otherwise, this story has another chapter.

Never can spend enough time with my kids, but they have to return to life in Colorado. School begins soon and they need to prepare. My youngest is looking forward to a tidy sum in bonus money. Seems her math students did very well on a Calculus test (not sure if it is state or national). Apparently it allows you to avoid a college math class or two.

Trying to focus on their return for oldest daughter's renewal of vows at the end of August. :)

Middle daughter's school is light on the supply budget. Several family members have granted her various sums to supplement. Seems like both of them take a little from their pay to buy classroom stuff.

Not much you can fix on an air conditioner for $20. Hopefully just a loose connection and a recharge. Otherwise, this story has another chapter.

It was something very minor but I can't remember what it was. At any rate the A/C worked great in the car after that and was still working when we sold it several years later.

Never can spend enough time with my kids, but they have to return to life in Colorado. School begins soon and they need to prepare. My youngest is looking forward to a tidy sum in bonus money. Seems her math students did very well on a Calculus test (not sure if it is state or national). Apparently it allows you to avoid a college math class or two.

Trying to focus on their return for oldest daughter's renewal of vows at the end of August. :)

Middle daughter's school is light on the supply budget. Several family members have granted her various sums to supplement. Seems like both of them take a little from their pay to buy classroom stuff.
It's great to see students doing well in calculus. If they successfully complete it in grade 12 with good grades, they may indeed be exempt from the introductory calculus class in college. Some students do both matrix algebra (linear algebra) and calculus in high school. This way they are one step ahead when entering college and can focus on the more advanced math like integral calculus, and differential equations...:thup:

Last edited:
And on this day in history in . . .

1963 Beatles release "Introducing the Beatles". Almost every song on that iconic album is well known to all.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g3UHYvfwgA]Introducing... THE BEATLES - YouTube[/ame]

1967 Jimi Hendrix quits as opening act of the Monkees' tour. Do you suppose it was a slow news day or why would that make anybody's memorable events in history list?

1983 - Dick Smith makes 1st solo helicopter flight around the world.

dicksmit1__jpg_240x180_crop_q85.jpg

There is an hour and forty minute personal documentary of that event here. (I confess I did not take the time to watch/listen to it.)
Video Overview Dick Smith Explorer (1983) on ASO - Australia's audio and visual heritage online

2013 - Scientific studies reveal that dolphins have unique names for one another, much like humans do. Now I am a student of science and am intensely interested in many scientific things. But I do have to wonder how in the heck they figured out what dolphins call each other?
Dolphins Whistle 'Names' To Each Other, Underwater Recorders Show

Have ya'll seen this? You can't tell me they have no ability to reason. (That is a a piece of bread that he is using). . . .

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBuPiC3ArL8]Clever Bird Goes Fishing - YouTube[/ame]

And here in northeast Ohio and western Pennsylvania, just north of Ollie, we have a place where ducks walk on fish!

[ame=http://youtu.be/evZeG8GYst8]where the ducks walk on the fish crazy video of billons of fishes!!!! Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

Remember the other day when I mentioned I took the Altima to get inspected and the check engine light magically came on? They wanted 285.00 to replace the O2 sensor. I put a can of fuel system cleaner in and...voila...the light went off in half an hour. Now why couldn't they have told me to try that? So I'm taking it to get inspected today...at another place of course.

isn't that amazing. years ago i was told i needed a new transmission. it turned out it was only some vent tube or something blocked.

One of my favorite sayings I have to remind myself of often is "Don't make things harder than they have to be."

And this is one I have to remind myself of almost every day:

10488002_729048463808368_6556094696938207922_n.jpg

Remember the other day when I mentioned I took the Altima to get inspected and the check engine light magically came on? They wanted 285.00 to replace the O2 sensor. I put a can of fuel system cleaner in and...voila...the light went off in half an hour. Now why couldn't they have told me to try that? So I'm taking it to get inspected today...at another place of course.

isn't that amazing. years ago i was told i needed a new transmission. it turned out it was only some vent tube or something blocked.
I have a cousin who had a paint shop. While I was in Vietnam he charged my wife a small fortune for repairing and painting a fender dent. When I came home and found out I went to his shop where they had four outside stalls for painting. All four were occupied with one car getting about it's 10th coat of lacquer. I drove into his gravel parking lot and proceeded to rip around it in my car, raised a cloud of dust that could be seen for miles. He and his crew just stood helplessly by. I problably spent 2 minutes on his property and never said a word to anyone. He knew what it was for and next day came by my house and offered the money back. I wouldn't take it but told him to buy lacquer for his cars.

Forum List

Back