Sheila's sore foot post surgery healing,
Stat's aunt,
Smilebong for his brother-in-law and family,
Complete healing for Mrs. Ringel and assurance for Ringel
Ollie, Mrs O and family in the loss of their Angie,
Bloodrock's father-in-law in Germany,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
All who are dealing with colds and flu,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Bigfoot, Oddball, and Sunshine.

candle.gif

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you all for keeping vigil for my brother in law. He passwed away, and we are having a memorial for him at the Coudersport, PA Legion Club this Saturday.

Sorry to hear of your loss, [MENTION=44344]Smilebong[/MENTION]. You and your family will be in my thoughts.

Nothing like being awakened by the phone at 4:00am on a Monday morning. Especially when there was no one on the other end, that is except for a fax machine.

Problem was I couldn't go back to sleep on an empty stomach. Oh well, at least I had breakfast. May try and get back to sleep, should be easy on a full stomach.

a few years ago i had a problem with some guys fax machine calling me every night. I left him a few messages to take me off his call list. he didn't . so i took a piece of paper and colored it black with a black marker. coloring it black uses more of their toner because it lays down toner where ever it sees black. I sent it too him about 100 copies which i'm sure was moe than enough to empty out his toner cartridge. he took me off his call list

Motivation!!

We've had more than enough on this end of Carolina -- I'm starting to get concerned about my tomatoes getting fungus. They're OK so far but sunshine would not be unwelcome. Rain held off most of the day, got a lot of weeding done. Very easy to pull 'em out by the roots after so much rain.

Are you on the coast or in the mountains?

Yes.

:coffee:

I'm in beautiful rainy WNC, the wettest part of the Appalachians and within sight of the tallest peak east of the Mississippi. Carolinia Agresticia, the forest primeval. :eusa_angel:

In other words, you are in utopia.

Pop owned and operated a print shop he had inherited from his uncle who had inherited it from his father. Now my brother is the fourth generation of the family to run the print shop. My family has a great reverence for the printed word. Misspellings and poor use of punctuation drives us up a family collective wall.

Yesterday the owners of the bar and grill that sits beside the shop posted a 'closed' sign as fire damaged the property late last week.

"Closed Do To Fire" it read. Now, how can you misspell 'due'?

But up the block and around the corner, a tenant upset with his living conditions spray painted "slum loard" on the siding beside the front door. I suppose you can misspell 'lord', but I believe a real effort has to be made to do it.

But then again, I get upset when I see a 'drive thru' as I know that an 'o' a 'g' and an 'h' are needed to spell 'through'.

"Language" Spenser Tracy once said "is a poor enough means of communication. I think we should say every damn word we can."

I think we should demonstrate what those twelve years of schooling were all about and spell correctly.

What a crotchety old man post this turned out to be.
Spenser?

True story:
Driving into Texas bound for San Antonio, I witnessed a highway sign that read, and I quote:

SPEED
FINES
DOBLES

On the other hand my favourite Mark Twain quote goes:

If K-A-T doesn't spell "cat", what does it spell?

Pop owned and operated a print shop he had inherited from his uncle who had inherited it from his father. Now my brother is the fourth generation of the family to run the print shop. My family has a great reverence for the printed word. Misspellings and poor use of punctuation drives us up a family collective wall.

Yesterday the owners of the bar and grill that sits beside the shop posted a 'closed' sign as fire damaged the property late last week.

But up the block and around the corner, a tenant upset with his living conditions spray painted "slum loard" on the siding beside the front door. I suppose you can misspell 'lord', but I believe a real effort has to be made to do it.

But then again, I get upset when I see a 'drive thru' as I know that an 'o' a 'g' and an 'h' are needed to spell 'through'.

"Language" Spenser Tracy once said "is a poor enough means of communication. I think we should say every damn word we can."

I think we should demonstrate what those twelve years of schooling were all about and spell correctly.

I also find that we don't spell like we used to. It's to the point where some words are deliberately misspelled. For instance Mortal Kombat should be Mortal Combat. Also, good nite should be good night. One that gets me is Christmas. Some folks spell it Xmas. I always insist on using the correct spelling which is Christmas. Not to mention using Gawd instead of God ...

shakehead.gif

The latter is simply another flavor. The speaker may want to emphasize the ejaculation rather than the deity. Or may want to emulate a certain accent. There are infinite nuances in spelling for infinite purposes. As for the X in Xmas it's a shorthand, the X being a long held abbreviation for "Christ" or "cross". (see also Xian).

Now obviously if the writer was quoting the bible and wrote "Gawd" that would be ignorance, but not all variant spelllings are unintentional. There's one right there.

We all have our own irks. Mine is people shortcutting the word "you" with "U". To me that's pronounced "oo" and makes the speaker look like he's talking about Burmese people.

Just got back from the dentist. My fayth ith numb. oy.

Meanwhile...it is a very nice day today on the central coast. No fog! Big fluffy white clouds and a soft breeze. Feels about 70 out there. I think I will go play in my garden. :)

For Gracie --- I think I posted this before but that was another coffee shop... speech therapy around 2:30

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V-YVNCizBc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V-YVNCizBc[/ame]

Last edited:
Okay, this is wierd (weird spelled wrong...... :eusa_whistle:). Got a call this morning from Dell stating the shipment of my wifes new computer was delayed and by federal regulation I had to "select" # one if I still wanted the laptop or the order would be cancelled. The new arrival date would be the 28th....... it arrived about 2 hours later.........

Maybe I'm getting a second one for free......... :dunno:

As for this it's win 8.1, setup pissed me off, in fact the whole interface is as bad as I remember from when I beta tested it.
Told the wife she could play with it until she get's so frustrated the house starts shaking with her yelling and then I'll download and install Classic Shell....... (I want her to feel my pain.......) :D

You know that thing in the dictionary right next to the word? The thing that gives the phonetic spelling of the word? Why don't we spell the word that way? It would make things so much simpler.

You know that thing in the dictionary right next to the word? The thing that gives the phonetic spelling of the word? Why don't we spell the word that way? It would make things so much simpler.

I no wat u meen. :thup

Finally have the initial setup done, loading Avast, Malwarebytes and Firefox. The computer comes with MacAfee LiveSafe but I've yet to find out how to access the program on the computer to turn it off.
Connected it to the Homegroup but had to reconfigure the wifes old laptop for this Homegroup so the two are now sniffing each others butts, getting to know one another........ Once that's done I'll transfer her files, favorites, and browser settings over to the new one.

Oh and to save myself the headaches I installed Classic Shell already....... Don't need to hear, "dear! How do I do this?" every five minutes......

Last edited:
Finally have the initial setup done, loading Avast, Malwarebytes and Firefox. The computer comes with MacAfee LiveSafe but I've yet to find out how to access the program on the computer to turn it off.
Connected it to the Homegroup but had to reconfigure the wifes old laptop for this Homegroup so the two are now sniffing each others butts, getting to know one another........ Once that's done I'll transfer her files, favorites, and browser settings over to the new one.

Oh and to save myself the headaches I installed Classic Shell already....... Don't need to hear, "dear! How do I do this?" every five minutes......

Good thinking. Definitely. :thup:

Been a long time since I've been out on the board. About a thimble's full of sense to a gallon of crazy. I just hope aliens don't log onto USMB first when they show up. :)

Harper's two aunts returned to Colorado this afternoon. That poor child is going to be seriously bored Tuesday.

[MENTION=41527]Pogo[/MENTION]...thanks for the Cosby stint, lol.

I just now woke up from a wee nap. My face got UN numb and my back gum was so sore from the two jabs of his needle, it felt like a sinus infection it hurt so bad. So....I took an advil and went to sleep. I feel better now. :)

I also find that we don't spell like we used to. It's to the point where some words are deliberately misspelled. For instance Mortal Kombat should be Mortal Combat. Also, good nite should be good night. One that gets me is Christmas. Some folks spell it Xmas. I always insist on using the correct spelling which is Christmas. Not to mention using Gawd instead of God ...

shakehead.gif

The latter is simply another flavor. The speaker may want to emphasize the ejaculation rather than the deity. Or may want to emulate a certain accent. There are infinite nuances in spelling for infinite purposes. As for the X in Xmas it's a shorthand, the X being a long held abbreviation for "Christ" or "cross". (see also Xian).

Now obviously if the writer was quoting the bible and wrote "Gawd" that would be ignorance, but not all variant spelllings are unintentional. There's one right there.

We all have our own irks. Mine is people shortcutting the word "you" with "U". To me that's pronounced "oo" and makes the speaker look like he's talking about Burmese people.
The texting culture obviously doesn't help. When you do something often enough, it becomes routine. Kids nowadays are texting so often that they eventually wind up adopting text jargon as their common language. This will cause major issues when they enter the workforce and can't do simple tasks like writing a report.

I am guilty of xmas and thru. Faster to type. But the text cell phone crap drives me bonkers. And typos are common by most but flat out ignorance drives me bonkers too.

Forum List

Back