USMB Coffee Shop IV

Pop owned and operated a print shop he had inherited from his uncle who had inherited it from his father. Now my brother is the fourth generation of the family to run the print shop. My family has a great reverence for the printed word. Misspellings and poor use of punctuation drives us up a family collective wall.

Yesterday the owners of the bar and grill that sits beside the shop posted a 'closed' sign as fire damaged the property late last week.

"Closed Do To Fire" it read. Now, how can you misspell 'due'?

But up the block and around the corner, a tenant upset with his living conditions spray painted "slum loard" on the siding beside the front door. I suppose you can misspell 'lord', but I believe a real effort has to be made to do it.

But then again, I get upset when I see a 'drive thru' as I know that an 'o' a 'g' and an 'h' are needed to spell 'through'.

"Language" Spenser Tracy once said "is a poor enough means of communication. I think we should say every damn word we can."

I think we should demonstrate what those twelve years of schooling were all about and spell correctly.

What a crotchety old man post this turned out to be.

You know that thing in the dictionary right next to the word? The thing that gives the phonetic spelling of the word? Why don't we spell the word that way? It would make things so much simpler.

If phonics worked, we could not read the word "phonics". Hooky on fonix rily werked fer me!

To everyone experiencing an off day.....

dont-lose-hopeyou-never-know-what-tomorrow-will-bringgood-night-good-night-quote.gif

Pop owned and operated a print shop he had inherited from his uncle who had inherited it from his father. Now my brother is the fourth generation of the family to run the print shop. My family has a great reverence for the printed word. Misspellings and poor use of punctuation drives us up a family collective wall.

Yesterday the owners of the bar and grill that sits beside the shop posted a 'closed' sign as fire damaged the property late last week.

But up the block and around the corner, a tenant upset with his living conditions spray painted "slum loard" on the siding beside the front door. I suppose you can misspell 'lord', but I believe a real effort has to be made to do it.

But then again, I get upset when I see a 'drive thru' as I know that an 'o' a 'g' and an 'h' are needed to spell 'through'.

"Language" Spenser Tracy once said "is a poor enough means of communication. I think we should say every damn word we can."

I think we should demonstrate what those twelve years of schooling were all about and spell correctly.

I also find that we don't spell like we used to. It's to the point where some words are deliberately misspelled. For instance Mortal Kombat should be Mortal Combat. Also, good nite should be good night. One that gets me is Christmas. Some folks spell it Xmas. I always insist on using the correct spelling which is Christmas. Not to mention using Gawd instead of God ...

shakehead.gif
In Cleveland, City of Light, City of Magic, the end zone fans call themselves the "DAWG pound". This does little to engender any respect for Cleveland and Clevelanders.

I do not send text messages. I find Twitter's 140 character limit too limiting. For communication's sake, I wish we could all be clearer, more articulate and far more precise in our use of language.

Dear [MENTION=20704]Nosmo King[/MENTION]

In Germany, a telephone text is called an "SMS" -

Short Message Service

In fact, a brand new verb has grown up around it:

SMSen - to send an SMS

"Ich werde Dich später anSMSen"
("I will text you later")

Telephone-texting is destroying the German language. There are just oodles and oodles of youth out there who cannot string together a single sentence with even one correctly placed and/or conjugated verb in said sentence. It's really kind of sad.

Some people think I am crazy, but when I "SMS", I write in correct German and also in full style, poetic and all that stuff.

Example:

mangled SMS language:

Geht nett. w. e. später Ohren steif.

Full German language:

Ich sage Dir, daß das nicht geht und werde es Dir später erklären. Bis dahin, bitte, halte die Ohren steif!

("That's not gonna work, I will explain it to you later. In the meantime, stay on the lookout!")

I can only assume that texting in the USA is mangling the American-English language as well.

It's really kind of sad.....

Tracy was in class tonight! Still not 100% but getting better slowly. The fact that she turned up at all was a good sign. So good to see her again, I missed her! :)

Remember the other day when I mentioned I took the Altima to get inspected and the check engine light magically came on? They wanted 285.00 to replace the O2 sensor. I put a can of fuel system cleaner in and...voila...the light went off in half an hour. Now why couldn't they have told me to try that? So I'm taking it to get inspected today...at another place of course.

I also find that we don't spell like we used to. It's to the point where some words are deliberately misspelled. For instance Mortal Kombat should be Mortal Combat. Also, good nite should be good night. One that gets me is Christmas. Some folks spell it Xmas. I always insist on using the correct spelling which is Christmas. Not to mention using Gawd instead of God ...

shakehead.gif

The latter is simply another flavor. The speaker may want to emphasize the ejaculation rather than the deity. Or may want to emulate a certain accent. There are infinite nuances in spelling for infinite purposes. As for the X in Xmas it's a shorthand, the X being a long held abbreviation for "Christ" or "cross". (see also Xian).

Now obviously if the writer was quoting the bible and wrote "Gawd" that would be ignorance, but not all variant spelllings are unintentional. There's one right there.

We all have our own irks. Mine is people shortcutting the word "you" with "U". To me that's pronounced "oo" and makes the speaker look like he's talking about Burmese people.

I could never get behind that shortcut for the word Christmas. I won't do the Xmas. And it's not out of any religions belief, rather, just don't want to lose another tradition in my life and times.

Forum List

Back