USMB Coffee Shop IV

And here in northeast Ohio and western Pennsylvania, just north of Ollie, we have a place where ducks walk on fish!

where the ducks walk on the fish crazy video of billons of fishes!!!! Part 1 - YouTube

Ah yes Pymatuming Lake, haven't been there in forever....And those are Carp, great game fish, put up a good solid fight, but very few people eat them, and even fewer know how to cook them....

Carp is delicious, but you must gut it and clean it really, really well.

Smoked Carp is outstanding.

And of course, essential in the making of Gefilte Fish!

:D

And here in northeast Ohio and western Pennsylvania, just north of Ollie, we have a place where ducks walk on fish!

where the ducks walk on the fish crazy video of billons of fishes!!!! Part 1 - YouTube

Ah yes Pymatuming Lake, haven't been there in forever....And those are Carp, great game fish, put up a good solid fight, but very few people eat them, and even fewer know how to cook them....

I lived in Minneapolis for a number of years. There is a big Hmong and Asian population up there. The Asian folks loved carp. They would go out of their way to fish for it.

Always tasted terrible to me, but probably was cooking incorrectly.

Carp are the 'throw back' fish in this region. Legend has it that there is something called a 'soap streak' in carp. Failure to thoroughly clean the fish results in a Life Buoy taste.

Carp are the 'throw back' fish in this region. Legend has it that there is something called a 'soap streak' in carp. Failure to thoroughly clean the fish results in a Life Buoy taste.

Our local Indian tribes value carp as a delicacy. Was taught by one of our local Apache friends: The carp has to be large enough to filet or the bones will make it too tedious to eat--very bony fish. It has to be thoroughly gutted and cleaned--discard head and tail. It has huge scales, so it is good to know how to de-scale a fish but not all that difficult to do with a carp.

So take the carp filets--pick any remaining bones out of them before preparing--and soak in lightly salted buttermilk for at least an hour--two is better. Then shake off most of the buttermilk and roll in seasoned flour with a bit of leavening added--or our friend sometimes uses commercial pancake mix to thoroughly coat the fish. Fry in hot oil until done--fish flakes easily--enjoy.

I haven't tried this but kept his recipe just in case we caught a large carp common in New Mexico lake waters. It is quite good prepared the way he does.

Thought for today brought to us by Douglas Adams;

Let us think the unthinkable,
let us do the undoable,
let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself,
and see if we may not eff it after all.

And in case you were wondering, the connection came from recalling the expression; "So long and thanks for all the fish". :D

Last edited:
Vanilla-Ice-Cream-Bowl.jpg

That looks so good......

drool.jpg

I scream, you scream,
we all drool for ice cream!!

True story:
I was filling my gas tank out on Tulane Avenue, one of the seedier environs of New Orleans, when a girl walked by me and said "how 'bout some ice cream?"

I said ... "whaa....?"

"You know --- I scream, you scream..."

:rolleyes:

We had a Cold Stone open up in our town and the next nearest place was 7 miles away. You would imagine that would be a way to mint your own money, right? Initially the place was always busy but the people running it were unfriendly and miserable. Eventually it went out of business.

A new place subsequently opened up across the road and it is doing a roaring trade. Customer service means letting them know that you are happy to have their business.

Funny I come to this thread just as hubby says he is heading to the store to get himself some ice cream and what kind do I want. lol.

Chocolate Chip!! Thats what I want!

It is HOT here today. HOT. Oy. No likey. Gimme back my fog!

Woke up from a three and a half hour "nap"....... Musta needed the sleep...... Now I'll be groggy for the next couple of hours then up late and I have to make the run down to Trinidad tomorrow morning...... Then back.....

Funny I come to this thread just as hubby says he is heading to the store to get himself some ice cream and what kind do I want. lol.

Chocolate Chip!! Thats what I want!

It is HOT here today. HOT. Oy. No likey. Gimme back my fog!

^^^^^ Same here.

Forum List

Back