USMB Coffee Shop IV

We've had more than enough on this end of Carolina -- I'm starting to get concerned about my tomatoes getting fungus. They're OK so far but sunshine would not be unwelcome. Rain held off most of the day, got a lot of weeding done. Very easy to pull 'em out by the roots after so much rain.

Are you on the coast or in the mountains?

Yes.

:coffee:

I'm in beautiful rainy WNC, the wettest part of the Appalachians and within sight of the tallest peak east of the Mississippi. Carolinia Agresticia, the forest primeval. :eusa_angel:

It's a different world, I'm in the Triangle

Caffeineloading_zpsaee613b1.png

Good morning, everyone, and a happy Monday to you!

The Adventurers/Explorers & Coffee continues today.

No. 1:

uri-2-727898424d9ac4fc095ac9af9160b5ce02792fed-s40-c85.jpg

That's Uri Berliner, editor of NPR

Er ist ein Berliner?
Wo ist das Gebäck?

Are you on the coast or in the mountains?

Yes.

I'm in beautiful rainy WNC, the wettest part of the Appalachians and within sight of the tallest peak east of the Mississippi. Carolinia Agresticia, the forest primeval. :eusa_angel:

A very different world. I can go down to the next town 17 miles away and it's 12 degrees warmer there than here. And the way the ridges are arranged we get particular weather patterns; lotsa rain but never violent rain; lots of wind in the winter out of the south. And no need for A/C at all -- the hottest I've ever seen it get here, on the peak of the most intense heat wave, was 87.

This year though, I could count on my hands the number of times I've even had to so much as turn a fan on, it's been that cool. Just as often I'm reaching for long sleeves or a jacket.

• Thanks
Reactions: kaz
Yes.

A very different world. I can go down to the next town 17 miles away and it's 12 degrees warmer there than here. And the way the ridges are arranged we get particular weather patterns; lotsa rain but never violent rain; lots of wind in the winter out of the south. And no need for A/C at all -- the hottest I've ever seen it get here, on the peak of the most intense heat wave, was 87.

This year though, I could count on my hands the number of times I've even had to so much as turn a fan on, it's been that cool. Just as often I'm reaching for long sleeves or a jacket.

That's like my sister, she lives in the hills of Maryland an hour outside DC and doesn't even have air conditioning. I like the areas, but being in business, finance and IT, there aren't a lot of job opportunities for me out in the sticks.

Nothing like being awakened by the phone at 4:00am on a Monday morning. Especially when there was no one on the other end, that is except for a fax machine.

Problem was I couldn't go back to sleep on an empty stomach. Oh well, at least I had breakfast. May try and get back to sleep, should be easy on a full stomach.

a few years ago i had a problem with some guys fax machine calling me every night. I left him a few messages to take me off his call list. he didn't . so i took a piece of paper and colored it black with a black marker. coloring it black uses more of their toner because it lays down toner where ever it sees black. I sent it too him about 100 copies which i'm sure was moe than enough to empty out his toner cartridge. he took me off his call list

Yes, that happened to me too. I kept bombing them back with faxes until they removed me. I didn't think of the black though, that's a great idea.

Nothing like being awakened by the phone at 4:00am on a Monday morning. Especially when there was no one on the other end, that is except for a fax machine.

Problem was I couldn't go back to sleep on an empty stomach. Oh well, at least I had breakfast. May try and get back to sleep, should be easy on a full stomach.

a few years ago i had a problem with some guys fax machine calling me every night. I left him a few messages to take me off his call list. he didn't . so i took a piece of paper and colored it black with a black marker. coloring it black uses more of their toner because it lays down toner where ever it sees black. I sent it too him about 100 copies which i'm sure was moe than enough to empty out his toner cartridge. he took me off his call list

Yes, that happened to me too. I kept bombing them back with faxes until they removed me. I didn't think of the black though, that's a great idea.

Fax 'em a picture of a black cat sitting in a coal mine eating licorice at midnight during a power failure. :thup:

a full page of typed text actually only pulls toner to about 10% of the page believe it or not. for yield they estimate a lot less on average. so if you want to drain a toner cartridge, make it all black

a full page of typed text actually only pulls toner to about 10% of the page believe it or not. for yield they estimate a lot less on average. so if you want to drain a toner cartridge, make it all black

Oh yeah, I get it. Toner is expensive. I wasn't thinking that way, I was just trying to tie up their fax machine. If it happens again, I'm going your route as well.

Pop owned and operated a print shop he had inherited from his uncle who had inherited it from his father. Now my brother is the fourth generation of the family to run the print shop. My family has a great reverence for the printed word. Misspellings and poor use of punctuation drives us up a family collective wall.

Yesterday the owners of the bar and grill that sits beside the shop posted a 'closed' sign as fire damaged the property late last week.

"Closed Do To Fire" it read. Now, how can you misspell 'due'?

But up the block and around the corner, a tenant upset with his living conditions spray painted "slum loard" on the siding beside the front door. I suppose you can misspell 'lord', but I believe a real effort has to be made to do it.

But then again, I get upset when I see a 'drive thru' as I know that an 'o' a 'g' and an 'h' are needed to spell 'through'.

"Language" Spenser Tracy once said "is a poor enough means of communication. I think we should say every damn word we can."

I think we should demonstrate what those twelve years of schooling were all about and spell correctly.

What a crotchety old man post this turned out to be.

Just got back from the dentist. My fayth ith numb. oy.

Meanwhile...it is a very nice day today on the central coast. No fog! Big fluffy white clouds and a soft breeze. Feels about 70 out there. I think I will go play in my garden. :)

Pop owned and operated a print shop he had inherited from his uncle who had inherited it from his father. Now my brother is the fourth generation of the family to run the print shop. My family has a great reverence for the printed word. Misspellings and poor use of punctuation drives us up a family collective wall.

Yesterday the owners of the bar and grill that sits beside the shop posted a 'closed' sign as fire damaged the property late last week.

But up the block and around the corner, a tenant upset with his living conditions spray painted "slum loard" on the siding beside the front door. I suppose you can misspell 'lord', but I believe a real effort has to be made to do it.

But then again, I get upset when I see a 'drive thru' as I know that an 'o' a 'g' and an 'h' are needed to spell 'through'.

"Language" Spenser Tracy once said "is a poor enough means of communication. I think we should say every damn word we can."

I think we should demonstrate what those twelve years of schooling were all about and spell correctly.

I also find that we don't spell like we used to. It's to the point where some words are deliberately misspelled. For instance Mortal Kombat should be Mortal Combat. Also, good nite should be good night. One that gets me is Christmas. Some folks spell it Xmas. I always insist on using the correct spelling which is Christmas. Not to mention using Gawd instead of God ...

shakehead.gif

I also find that we don't spell like we used to. It's to the point where some words are deliberately misspelled. For instance Mortal Kombat should be Mortal Combat. Also, good nite should be good night. One that gets me is Christmas. Some folks spell it Xmas. I always insist on using the correct spelling which is Christmas. Not to mention using Gawd instead of God ...

shakehead.gif
In Cleveland, City of Light, City of Magic, the end zone fans call themselves the "DAWG pound". This does little to engender any respect for Cleveland and Clevelanders.

I do not send text messages. I find Twitter's 140 character limit too limiting. For communication's sake, I wish we could all be clearer, more articulate and far more precise in our use of language.

Spenser?

An easy way to send all those faxes would be to tape about six sheets of black colored paper together lengthwise, and start the fax . . . after the fax has passed through the first page, take the opposite end of the black colored paper strip and flip it over once. Tape that end to the end that has already passed through, creating a continuous strip or an endless loop. Not only would this take care of the toner cartridge, but also their paper supply ... :lol:

We had a visit this weekend from one of my long lost cousins. She lives down in deepest darkest West Virginia. It's always good to see her and catch up.

I asked how her family was and she told me that her daughter had just come home from Tanzania. "That's fascinating!" I said "What was she doing in Tanzania?"

I expected to hear how she had been staffing a school or hospital. Perhaps she was digging wells or engineering roads. But those situations were mundane after the tale my cousin spun.

Her church group sponsored five young congregants to go to the most heavily witchcraft influenced areas of sub-Saharan Africa to convince folks to abandon witchcraft and become Pentecostal Christians. The erected what my cousin called a "Demon Tent" in which witches gathered to hear my cousin's daughter sing and dance in her effort to exorcise imps, devils and sundry evil spirits from their troubled minds.

She was accosted on a main Tanzanian village lane, but no harm came to her. She went to Africa with an attitude about the culture there that was informed by ignorance. She encounter a wee bit of trouble and her suspicions were confirmed. She is now home with a case of diarrhea and an outlook about Africa that is bitter and suspicious. In other words, she got what she came for.

Having spent many years in Africa there are a lot of misconceptions out there. Africa is both beautiful and desolate at the same time. What is fascinating is how western culture has been Africanized as opposed to Africa becoming Westernized. That is an impressive feat considering how successful western culture is elsewhere in the world. :D

Kneads Moar Fruhstrayshun!!!

Forum List

Back