USMB Coffee Shop IV

funny-good-night.jpg

I have a question for anyone lurking around. I have a friend who just got a speeding ticket in North Carolina, going 16 miles over the speed limit. She's from Tn, on her way to her brother's house on vacation.

Problem is, she cannot pay her ticket or send in the money. She has to appear in court or get an attorney ($300-400) to appear for her in August. She is a wreck! I told her not to worry, just let it be and never go to N.C. again. She just can't do that. Honestly, don't know if I could either.

She doesn't have any more vacation time after this week. What should she do?

P.S. Googled Speeding ticket in N.C. and it said it could be waivered and cost $50. The cop said she had to appear in court, though and gave her a court date. Is this a scam in a small town?

NC has one particular deal called a "prayer for judgment continued" which is kind of, pay a fine and we'll forget it but don't get caught again. If she wants to fight it, she can go the route of asking for discovery of the radar detector maintenance records, the cop's training record, what other tickets he wrote that day, the road survey that set the speed limit, and then grill the cop in court, yada yada. I've had a ticket just dismissed in a little town where they didn't want to deal with all that. If it was a state trooper that won't work so well. PJC (above) is prolly her best bet, which she should be able to set up by conversation with the DA. But she'd prolly have to do it on the court date, in person.

Also I found out this little tidbit when I was fighting a Tennessee ticket as a NC resident: most states share info on traffic violations so that a violation in one state results in points for a driver from another state ---- however Tennessee is not one of them. So if they tell her in NC that she could get points on her Tennessee license, they're bluffing. :eusa_angel:

HTH.

[Edit - I see the intervening posts mentioned the whole interstate reciprocity thing. That's what I'm talking about above; unless something changed in the last year, Tennessee does not participate in it. North Carolina does.]

Last edited:
you should be able to plead guilty and mail in the fine.

Not necessarily, 16 mph over the limit is considered reckless in some states and requires the ticketed driver goes to court. Considering she is out of state (not a NC resident) that could be waived, she needs to contact the Court.

Can she just show up to the clerk of court? I found a website that showed a NC speeding ticket of 16 miles over the limit should be $50. Would that follow for the entire state?

Uh, I live in NC and I don't think that figure is accurate. Maybe decades ago... or maybe that's the fine but the court costs get added on. Because you know, speeding ticket, whoa, we gonna need a whole new building for that. Friend of mine got nailed for 65 in a 55 and hers was set at like $200-something. Hate to say it but the speeding justice system here is usually described outside the state as "draconian".

How far does she live from the infraction? Local police or state? I have some uh, background in these matters. :eusa_shifty:

Last edited:
Today was slow, only made a third of what we made yesterday on the estate sale, still I'm tired. My brother is coming in Thursday and we'll repeat it all over again for Friday, Sat and Sunday.
Got a lot more to do to get everything else ready.
What's funny is the items we thought would go quickly didn't move and the ones we thought no one would be interested in are gone......

Oh and I still have a 3' x 5' infrared sauna, Kawai piano and a custom made antique dining room set if anyone is interested........ :eusa_whistle:

Well, I collect tea cups and teapots, basically anything "tea".

My dad had a copper tea pot that is now black with use......... other than that, nothing. Almost all the furniture was hand crafted in Taiwan when we lived there including the brass/marble lamps and huge marble ash trays. We're keeping some of the furniture for now (as our part of the inheritance) but getting rid of much of the rest. A few pieces have been distributed amongst the brothers, basically what each wanted and I've offered to "buy" some of it since I'm taking the lion's share.
Basically we're getting pennies on the dollar for most of it.

Today was slow, only made a third of what we made yesterday on the estate sale, still I'm tired. My brother is coming in Thursday and we'll repeat it all over again for Friday, Sat and Sunday.
What's funny is the items we thought would go quickly didn't move and the ones we thought no one would be interested in are gone......

Oh and I still have a 3' x 5' infrared sauna, Kawai piano and a custom made antique dining room set if anyone is interested........ :eusa_whistle:

If your experience is like mine you already peaked, and unless you have new stuff out the next time you'll get dribs and drabs.

Funny, my parents' house also had a Kawai piano. It was not for sale though-- my niece wanted it. So I took it apart and stuffed it into the MINI Cooper -- just to see if I could do it -- and drove it 700 miles to deliver it to her.

I'm sure it had something to do with spinning the MINI 180° on a wet ramp in Tennessee too. Fun times.

If your experience is like mine you already peaked, and unless you have new stuff out the next time you'll get dribs and drabs.

Funny, my parents' house also had a Kawai piano. It was not for sale though-- my niece wanted it. So I took it apart and stuffed it into the MINI Cooper -- just to see if I could do it -- and drove it 700 miles to deliver it to her.

I'm sure it had something to do with spinning the MINI 180° on a wet ramp in Tennessee too. Fun times.

There's new stuff (that wasn't put out) and this time I advertised the estate sale. I'll also put out signs like I did this time only I'll cover a couple of areas I didn't put signs this last time.

Not necessarily, 16 mph over the limit is considered reckless in some states and requires the ticketed driver goes to court. Considering she is out of state (not a NC resident) that could be waived, she needs to contact the Court.

Can she just show up to the clerk of court? I found a website that showed a NC speeding ticket of 16 miles over the limit should be $50. Would that follow for the entire state?

Uh, I live in NC and I don't think that figure is accurate. Maybe decades ago... or maybe that's the fine but the court costs get added on. Because you know, speeding ticket, whoa, we gonna need a whole new building for that. Friend of mine got nailed for 65 in a 55 and hers was set at like $200-something. Hate to say it but the speeding justice system here is usually described outside the state as "draconian".

How far does she live from the infraction? Local police or state? I have some uh, background in these matters. :eusa_shifty:

She lives several hours away. I don't know if it was local or state patrol. I think it's about 9 hours from home. Wow. $200 for 10 over the speed limit. That's a racket. What's even worse, the city she is visiting doesn't take debit or credit cards! My oh my! Sounds like she has to come back to civilization!

Has anyone else started a Facebook page for their pet? I have one for my dog Cooper. In 21 hours, he has nearly 400 'likes'. He has more friends than I do!

Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for
Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Sunshine,
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Sheila’s friend Shirley,
Spoonie, Ringel, and Sheila's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
BDBoop, her sis, and family,
Hombre,
Pix,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Sheila and son Andrew,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj and Nana and friend Tracy,
Sheila's sore foot post surgery healing,
Stat's aunt,
Smilebong for his brother-in-law and family,
Complete healing for Mrs. Ringel and assurance for Ringel
Ollie, Mrs O and family in the loss of their Angie,
Bloodrock's father-in-law in Germany,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
All who are dealing with colds and flu,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Bigfoot, Oddball, and Sunshine.

candle.gif

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

Nothing like being awakened by the phone at 4:00am on a Monday morning. Especially when there was no one on the other end, that is except for a fax machine.

Problem was I couldn't go back to sleep on an empty stomach. Oh well, at least I had breakfast. May try and get back to sleep, should be easy on a full stomach.

Last edited:
Nothing like being awakened by the phone at 4:00am on a Monday morning. Especially when there was no one on the other end, that is except for a fax machine.

Problem was I couldn't go back to sleep on an empty stomach. Oh well, at least I had breakfast. May try and get back to sleep, should be easy on a full stomach.

I woke up early made coffee and decided to go back to sleep for awhile. Nite everbody, see you in the morning. :)

Sometimes you feel like this .. .. .. .. :Boom2: .. :scared1:

Usually you don't

Last edited:
Only if it's George Jetson's mechanical version of Shirley Booth as "Hazel".

Spent a drizzly night at the ballyard Saturday with my brother. We went to see our beloved Pittsburgh Pirates beat the Colorado Rockies in 11 innings. It was also fireworks night and there's nothing Pittsburghers love more than fireworks.

I bought two 14" half round flower planters and they got here Saturday. I went to the garden center and found two refugee 6" pots planted with wave petunias, verbena and millionbelles. Al together, the plants looks as if they might not see August. But I bought them )buy one get one free), and transplanted them yesterday. I hope they pull through and show their real stuff.

Daisy the Mutt spent Friday at Mom's eating rich food and getting her belly rubbed frequently. Saturday night was spent with my sister-in-law as she stayed home from the game. Again, Daisy ate rich food and got her belly rubbed frequently. Sunday, Daisy returned to Pimplebutt where she slept off her orgiastic weekend, then went walkies twice to rid her of all that rich food. And yes, she got her belly rubbed frequently.

All thoughts and preparations are in line for the Pig Roast on August 1. My oldest friend throws a bi-annual wing ding and my brother and I prepare the whole hog for roasting. I buy the port-a-johns for the affair. They are beautiful, so far as port-a-johns go with ample space for the disabled, a light, hand sanitizers and odor suppressants. They are not the work site variety. So, I buy the shitters.

This year's Pig Roast is not just another get together, but to celebrate my friend's daughter's college graduation. I'm really proud of this young woman. I told her that she's the person I intend to borrow money from in my dotage. She is off to Marymount for her post graduate work. I hope she is not too far in debt by the time I'll require food money!

Forum List

Back