USMB Coffee Shop IV

And on this day in history, July 20. . . .

1964 - Jan and Dean's "Surf City" was the first surfin' record to go #1 on the charts. They are credited with being the pioneers of the genre that was made wildly popular when the Beach Boys adopted it as their signature style.

Jan and Dean Surf City - YouTube

1969 - Neil Armstrong and Edwin Aldrin, Apollo 11, were the first men to walk on the moon with Michael Collins remaining in orbit in the command module. How many of us watched it live when it happened? I did. :)

Cronkite Anchors First Moonwalk - YouTube

1984 Vanessa Williams is asked to resign as Miss America when it became public that she had posed for Playboy. I wonder if that would be a disqualification now?

And when we think that modern weather is so much more unusual than it used to day, it is helpful to note that on this day in 1890, snow and hail was reported in Calais, Maine.

--- which they pronounce "callous" :lol:

I know the town well; it's the gateway to Canada on Nova Scotia trips. Been through it several times.

Beautiful Sunday here in northwestern Illinois. Coffee was good. Mass was good. Life is good. Hope everybody has a great day.

Beautiful day in North Carolina as well. Overcast and raining. Trust me, in July it doesn't get better than that. You don't realize how much you miss rain until you don't have it.

That's for sure. We're having a pretty normal monsoon after years of not bad drought, not extreme drought, but exceptional drought (meaning they have nothing in the record to compare it to.) So here's to the rain and may everybody get all they want and not too much :)

We've had more than enough on this end of Carolina -- I'm starting to get concerned about my tomatoes getting fungus. They're OK so far but sunshine would not be unwelcome. Rain held off most of the day, got a lot of weeding done. Very easy to pull 'em out by the roots after so much rain.

Now if they would only brush themselves. with all of the rain we've been having the pool keeps getting a coating of algea. I have to brush the thing like every other day. the rain brings the PH down and algea loves that. but it was nice floating around in it later

these little guys were everywhere. you had to check under the lounge cushions or you'd sit on one

One option to take care of the algae is to get a batch of large algae eaters, and let them loose into the pool. That should do it. Then the only issue is what to do with the algae eaters when it's time to go into the pool ... :lol:

large_Algae_Eater.jpg

Now if they would only brush themselves. with all of the rain we've been having the pool keeps getting a coating of algea. I have to brush the thing like every other day. the rain brings the PH down and algea loves that. but it was nice floating around in it later

these little guys were everywhere. you had to check under the lounge cushions or you'd sit on one

One option to take care of the algae is to get a batch of large algae eaters, and let them loose into the pool. That should do it. Then the only issue is what to do with the algae eaters when it's time to go into the pool ... :lol:

large_Algae_Eater.jpg

I think the chlorine would take them out

I have a question for anyone lurking around. I have a friend who just got a speeding ticket in North Carolina, going 16 miles over the speed limit. She's from Tn, on her way to her brother's house on vacation.

Problem is, she cannot pay her ticket or send in the money. She has to appear in court or get an attorney ($300-400) to appear for her in August. She is a wreck! I told her not to worry, just let it be and never go to N.C. again. She just can't do that. Honestly, don't know if I could either.

She doesn't have any more vacation time after this week. What should she do?

P.S. Googled Speeding ticket in N.C. and it said it could be waivered and cost $50. The cop said she had to appear in court, though and gave her a court date. Is this a scam in a small town?

I have a question for anyone lurking around. I have a friend who just got a speeding ticket in North Carolina, going 16 miles over the speed limit. She's from Tn, on her way to her brother's house on vacation.

Problem is, she cannot pay her ticket or send in the money. She has to appear in court or get an attorney ($300-400) to appear for her in August. She is a wreck! I told her not to worry, just let it be and never go to N.C. again. She just can't do that. Honestly, don't know if I could either.

P.S. Googled Speeding ticket in N.C. and it said it could be waivered and cost $50. The cop said she had to appear in court, though and gave her a court date. Is this a scam in a small town?

you should be able to plead guilty and mail in the fine.

But who do you plead guilty to?

Not necessarily, 16 mph over the limit is considered reckless in some states and requires the ticketed driver goes to court. Considering she is out of state (not a NC resident) that could be waived, she needs to contact the Court.

Not necessarily, 16 mph over the limit is considered reckless in some states and requires the ticketed driver goes to court. Considering she is out of state (not a NC resident) that could be waived, she needs to contact the Court.

Can she just show up to the clerk of court? I found a website that showed a NC speeding ticket of 16 miles over the limit should be $50. Would that follow for the entire state?

Today was slow, only made a third of what we made yesterday on the estate sale, still I'm tired. My brother is coming in Thursday and we'll repeat it all over again for Friday, Sat and Sunday.
Got a lot more to do to get everything else ready.
What's funny is the items we thought would go quickly didn't move and the ones we thought no one would be interested in are gone......

Oh and I still have a 3' x 5' infrared sauna, Kawai piano and a custom made antique dining room set if anyone is interested........ :eusa_whistle:

Can she just show up to the clerk of court? I found a website that showed a NC speeding ticket of 16 miles over the limit should be $50. Would that follow for the entire state?

Good question but from what I gather she's not a NC resident, has no vacation time and I don't live in NC which is why I recommended she contact the Court and explain her situation.

Decades ago I got a ticket in WV, never paid it, never went to court and continued to drive in WV for years afterwards....... I just didn't do 75 in 55 zones in WV any more....... :eusa_angel:

Today was slow, only made a third of what we made yesterday on the estate sale, still I'm tired. My brother is coming in Thursday and we'll repeat it all over again for Friday, Sat and Sunday.
What's funny is the items we thought would go quickly didn't move and the ones we thought no one would be interested in are gone......

Oh and I still have a 3' x 5' infrared sauna, Kawai piano and a custom made antique dining room set if anyone is interested........ :eusa_whistle:

If people want you to come down on items and you are not willing, you might want to take their number and at the end of the sale you may want to consider a lower price and call them.

Good question but from what I gather she's not a NC resident, has no vacation time and I don't live in NC which is why I recommended she contact the Court and explain her situation.

Decades ago I got a ticket in WV, never paid it, never went to court and continued to drive in WV for years afterwards....... I just didn't do 75 in 55 zones in WV any more....... :eusa_angel:

Somebody has told her they could come to Tn to get the fine. I highly doubt they would bother. But she's scared and never does anything illegal...except drive too fast,lol.

Somebody has told her they could come to Tn to get the fine. I highly doubt they would bother. But she's scared and never does anything illegal...except drive too fast,lol.

Yeah, a lot of states started "cooperating" years ago so that one state can go after another state's residents for unpaid traffic fines, etc. She really needs to contact the Clerk of the Court and explain her situation.

If people want you to come down on items and you are not willing, you might want to take their number and at the end of the sale you may want to consider a lower price and call them.

Have already done that. Also if the estate (as in my deceased dad) has to file income taxes we can donate the big items and take the actual retail value (at least for now until that tax writeoff is done away with). :evil:
Thar way instead of getting a $100 for the $2800 custom dining room set we use it to off set any potential tax burden.......

Yeah, a lot of states started "cooperating" years ago so that one state can go after another state's residents for unpaid traffic fines, etc. She really needs to contact the Clerk of the Court and explain her situation.

Thanks. I just talked to her. She's going tomorrow. Just her luck Tn would be one of those reciprocal states. Thanks for your input. I need to rep you, but I'm out for today. Will do tomorrow!

Last edited:

Have already done that. Also if the estate (as in my deceased dad) has to file income taxes we can donate the big items and take the actual retail value (at least for now until that tax writeoff is done away with). :evil:
Thar way instead of getting a $100 for the $2800 custom dining room set we use it to off set any potential tax burden.......[/

Excellent. You really have it together. Sorry for your loss.

Well, I collect tea cups and teapots, basically anything "tea".

Forum List

Back