USMB Coffee Shop IV

We are running last minute doctor's appointments--my eye appointment, Hombre's appointment, and leaving now to go get Aunt Betty to take her to her appointment. Then packing tomorrow and early Wednesday we are off to Arkansas for most of a week.
Ar Kansas eh...... :eusa_whistle:

:D

No that would be the river as pronounced in Wichita. :) We're going to ARRRRR -kin - saw. Leaving early in the morning so probably will be off line until late afternoon or evening if we even feel like dragging out the computers even then. I haven't mastered doing USMB on my phone.

We are running last minute doctor's appointments--my eye appointment, Hombre's appointment, and leaving now to go get Aunt Betty to take her to her appointment. Then packing tomorrow and early Wednesday we are off to Arkansas for most of a week.

No that would be the river as pronounced in Wichita. :) We're going to ARRRRR -kin - saw. Leaving early in the morning so probably will be off line until late afternoon or evening if we even feel like dragging out the computers even then. I haven't mastered doing USMB on my phone.
I've always pronounced it Ar Kansas........ Cause that's the way it's spelled..... :D

I've always pronounced it Ar Kansas........ Cause that's the way it's spelled..... :D
Or Arkan Sas.

Wow. The San Jose Sharks and Vegas Golden Knights played game 7 in their playoff series last night, and it was crazy. For context, the Golden Knights had been up 3 games to 1 in the series, but the Sharks won the last 2 games to even the series at 3-3. In last night's game, the Golden Knights scored a goal in the first period, another goal in the second period, then another goal in the third to make it 3-0 with about 10 minutes remaining. Then one of the Knights got a 5 minute major penalty. In the NHL, when a player gets a 5 minute major, the other team gets a power play during which they can score as many goals as they are capable of, where in a normal 2 minute penalty if the team on the power play scores, the power play ends. 6 seconds into the major, the Sharks score. 55 seconds in, they scored again. 3 minutes and 40 seconds in, they scored again to tie it at 3. 4 minutes and 8 seconds in, they scored AGAIN to take a 4-3 lead. I've seen quite a few 5 minute power plays in the NHL, and I don't ever remember seeing a team score 4 goals during one. Actually, I'm not sure if I've ever seen a team score 3 goals during a major power play. As if that weren't enough, the Golden Knights pulled their goalie late in the game and scored with 47 seconds left to tie it at 4-4. The game went to overtime, and the Sharks scored with 1:41 left in the first overtime period to complete their comeback win in the game and the series.

I'm not a fan of either team, and the game doesn't really matter for my team (the Islanders), because it's in the wrong conference. It was just an incredible turn of events, really exciting stuff.

Save, found a new toy for ya to play with.

star-wars-cat.jpg

What makes you think I don't already have one?

Movie Night tonight went well. North by Northwest and that wrapped up Hitchcock Month. I showed them Saboteur, Lifeboat, Dial M for Murder and North by Northwest. March was Stanley Kubrick Month. Paths of Glory, Lolita, AClockwork Orange and Dr. Strangelove. May is Frank Capra Month. Meet John Doe, you Can't Take it with You, State of the Union, Mr. Deeds foes to Town and finally Mr. Smith goes to Washington. We'll take a break for the summer, but come back swinging in September with The Thin Man, The African Queen, Adam's Rib and My Favorite Wife.

The second Tuesday of each month at the Learning Center is a lecture series called Leaders and Legends. This month was a lecture by noted local historian and Professional Lamd Surveyor, my cousin Tom. He is Aunt Dorothy's boy. Dorothy was the baby of the family and my Grandfather and Uncle Ducky's sister. He spoke on the Point of Beginning. It is the point from which all rectilinear survey in the United States is based.

Pennsylvania and Virginia were, of course two of the original 13 colonies. Land survey there was haphazard at best. Property descriptions from the colonial era are almost laughable to read. "From a rock three leagues south of the south bank of the Monongahela River, paced four leagues to a promontory facing west southwest thence to a great oak...". you get the idea.

If land was to be parceled out to sell and govern, a better system had to be established. So the founding fathers decreed that the junction of Pennsylvania's western border and Virginia's northern most point on the north bank of the Ohio River, the rest of the nation would begin. West Virginia wasn't established until the Civil War so what is now WV was once the Commonwealth of Virginia. So everyone living in Ohio and west of here can trace their property lines right back here to East Liverpool.

Early American land surveyors based all there horizontal control from the point down on Harvey Avenue in the East Emd of town. Incredible, ain't? Every state, county and township line from here on West has the DNA of East Liverpool. Every parcel of land within every state can find its origins right here.

Just checking in from the foot of Magazine Mountain. Long drive and uneventful. Terrible accommodations at the Clarion in Elk City OK last night and their wifi set up was so poor to be pretty much unusable. Beautiful here in ARRRRRR kin saw though--green and lush and not too hot yet but uncomfortably chilly either. All is well. Will make a quick run where Hombre's sister's brother-in-law is in the hospital--he was their classmate in Texas so Hombre knows him well so he is also now a long time friend of mine.

Hooked up her infusion pump today, turns out to be a pump the size of a large phone/small pad only thicker and a large IV bag all carried in a backpack....... She's already tired of dragging it around. Stopped at the house afterwards to look it over now that it's empty and take measurements then off to World Market for my coffee. Now we're waiting on dinner to be ready, different groups prepare and serve free dinners here at the facility we stay at.

The landlords came around today to measure up the flat for central heating, they also said they would redecorate the entire flat over the next couple of years. That seems to indicate they are not planning to evict me as they talked about decorating some of the rooms next year. By that time the new laws should be in place to protect tenants like me from getting two months notice, so I am feeling a little safer.

The landlords came around today to measure up the flat for central heating, they also said they would redecorate the entire flat over the next couple of years. That seems to indicate they are not planning to evict me as they talked about decorating some of the rooms next year. By that time the new laws should be in place to protect tenants like me from getting two months notice, so I am feeling a little safer.
With luck, you'll end up in some nicer digs. That would be nice, considering the mess and inconvenience renovations entail.

The Islanders play the first game of their second-round series tonight. This is only the second time they've won a round in the playoffs since 1993. The first round was the first time they swept a series since they won the Cup in 83. There hasn't been a lot to cheer for over the years, but they have looked very good this season, so I'm excited. A lot more excited than I am for the NFL draft; why do they make such a spectacle of that? It's so boring to try to watch! :lol:

Damn and blast it. My backup computer has died. I used it as a word processor, and now its gone bye byes.
Fortunately I still have my main computer.

Still in the lovely Arkansas Ozarks. Wonderful weather except cloudyish and spitting a few sprinkles now and then today. That would be welcome in July and August to cool things down but makes it rather chilly in April.

Too much going on and people around all the time so I don't have a lot of computer time. But all is well.

Forum List

Back