USMB Coffee Shop IV

I've always enjoyed Siamese cats. I've had several. Then I got a Sphynx. Loaded with purrsonality! A couple of things about Sphynx cats, though. They lack fur that helps wick off skin oils so they do need bathing. They get dirty and stinky if you don't help them stay clean. I've also noticed that they are comparatively short lived. The two I've had both died at around 10 years old. Most of my cats live to 18 yrs, or more. The cats I have now, three are from the feral colony I left behind and the fourth was adopted from a co-worker whose kids had left it when they left home.

Hi, gallant, how are you, glad to see you! :)
I had a Siamese when I was child, but it don't live with us so long, we were compelled to give this cat to relatives because it feels not so lucky in our home.

Now I have a rusty cat named Mars (because he has a similar color scheme, like Mars planet :))). He's a real rogue! He runs fast and don't scare my nerf gun - what can I do with him else, lol? :)
Good to see you here, Biker. It would appear that you're improving your life, moving the family into a larger flat, trying different types of work, etc. Is it Spring there yet? While we still have snow on the mountains, lower down we are clear and the ground is unfrozen enough to plant gardens now.
Russians seem to really like their cats. If you watch funny cat videos on the internet many of them are from Russia. I've had cats all my life and find imagining life without them difficult.
Hope to see you in the CS more often.

Hi! In fact, a smaller flat but a larger city, lol :) These two days it was above 30C here, in fact we have a Summer already. I think, next week in Voronezh I could visit river and "open the swimming season". It seems, this summer would be vacationless for me, but I hope to visit Formula-1 cup in Sochi at September...:)

And yes - cats are very lovely for much Russians... For me - too, offcourse.
I'm here and would be here, drinking coffee (and I drink coffee at work every day! :)

Ms. Picolo has a little mean streak. She's catty. Watch out any mice who should stumble into this house!

Yeah, every reputable cat must be able to avoid mouses from home... But when you don't have any mouse - maybe you have a recipe, how to force cat to eradicate cockroaches, lol? :)
Ms. Picolo doesn't let roaches into our home. She doesn't eat them, either, as I have found enough cockroach carcasses around to know she mauls them for sport on her exclusive watch.

Wonderful!!! How can I teach Mars to do the same?

p.s. If your Ms. Picolo would have a children, could you give me one of them? It would be a good reason to visit Russia again and I'll show you anything what do you want to see here :)

I would love to visit your country though I don't have any cat children to offer at this time in our lives. Visiting all over Europe has been on my to do list for a long time.

Oh, without a cats it would be a bit easier! Welcome to Moscow, maybe we'll still have a chance to visit Lenin's Mausoleum (I never wasn't there, but I think, I must visit it while it still works :))

I cannot say that Leinn's Mausoleum has been on my to do list, but hey. It could be interesting. :)

I am one of probably five people that doesn't really like their sandwiches

I am surprised there are that many... But like they say, to each his own... I was unaware of the tradition... Thanks FoxFyre...
I'm not a Chick-fil-a fan either, enough salt in one sandwich to kill a whole colony of slugs.........

My complaint has been too bland--lack of seasoning??? Maybe it's different from store to store. We have only been to the one on Paseo del Norte.
Breaded or grilled patty? I've never had their grilled patty.
Their grilled patty is good. I had to cut out fried stuff to get my cholesterol down. I'm allergic to prescription medicine to reduce cholesterol, and only 1 homeopathic one worked for me at the time. Now, I just stay away from fried foods. It's bad enough to be allergic to tap water. :(

Have you tried flax seed and chia seed? Grind the flax seed to a fluff in a little coffee grinder for maximum effect. No need to grind the chia seed. But both bring cholesterol way down. Add to soups, salads, pretty much anything. We usually put them in smoothies. They don't affect triglycerides though. But salmon, grapes, olive oil, beans, and spinach usually do and those foods also help with cholesterol.

Been in ABQ since Wednesday afternoon, pretty much been running ever since. Thankfully it's been cool and windy because the swamp cooler hasn't been hooked up yet. Getting the prep work done for painting and putting the flood in, painting today and flooring tomorrow (with help). Had to do some minor drywall repair, all that's dry just need to sand. The glue down carpet and old base board is coming up much more easily than I anticipated so that's a plus.
The wife stayed in Roswell this time while I try to get as much done here as possible before I drive back then move here and the cats up here next week. Tight schedule.

Oh and I somehow missed it when we bought the house, one of the bedrooms is painted in semi-gloss....... walls and ceiling........ Who paints bedroom walls and ceilings in semi-gloss......?
That means sanding the entire room, painting on a primer coat then putting on the finish paint........

Got a call out of the blue yesterday from a guy I used to work with. How'd he get my number? He was looking through some old stuff and thought he'd try the one he had. Now, I don't mind old buddies contacting me but after a short conversation I couldn't help but notice he'd make out really well in the USMB Rubber Room. Or maybe on a conspiracy theory forum. I'm not entirely sure I want this level of crazy in my life right now. He used to be a nice enough guy but after the conversation yesterday...I don't know.
My daughter called with a new dilemma to share. My older granddaughter broke up with her boyfriend. He wants understand why but the girl doesn't really have any answers. So he showed up last night at the daughter's place determined to camp on the front porch until the granddaughter spoke with him. My daughter is a soft touch but I'm pretty sure the neighbors will have called the cops to get the kid removed. "True love" at 17 is such a drama!

Oh and I somehow missed it when we bought the house, one of the bedrooms is painted in semi-gloss....... walls and ceiling........ Who paints bedroom walls and ceilings in semi-gloss......?
That means sanding the entire room, painting on a primer coat then putting on the finish paint........
Umm... maybe it was their rec room? Semi-gloss is easier to wash. Just sayin'...

Umm... maybe it was their rec room? Semi-gloss is easier to wash. Just sayin'...
Don't know but the ceiling? :dunno:

Possibly if they were painting the room just keep going with the same paint in the whole room.

Enthusiastic? Sloppy? Really, really wicked?

Possibly if they were painting the room just keep going with the same paint in the whole room.
The reason flat ceiling paint is used is it's formulated to hide imperfections not to mention it splatters less than wall paint. Right now I'm really sore and exhausted and I only painted 2/3s of the great room (13' X 26'), on top of the heavier work I did yesterday and the fact I'm 1500' above where I live in Roswell.......... Thank God I'm getting help tomorrow to lay the floor.

Just wanted to drop in and say hi all! :)

Not sure that the finish matters, does it? As long as the new paint is the same base as the old - water base or oil-base. I've painted over semi-gloss latex with flat or eggshell latex with out problem. Can't paint latex over oil but oil will cover latex. Oil-based paints come in flat too, don't they?...seems that would be easier than sanding. :)

Not sure that the finish matters, does it? As long as the new paint is the same base as the old - water base or oil-base. I've painted over semi-gloss latex with flat or eggshell latex with out problem. Can't paint latex over oil but oil will cover latex. Oil-based paints come in flat too, don't they?...seems that would be easier than sanding. :)
The glossier the paint the less likely a lesser gloss will stick to it, I've seen the results of that, the paint just peeled off in huge sections. You can still find oil based paints outside of an art store??!!!

The glossier the paint the less likely a lesser gloss will stick to it, I've seen the results of that, the paint just peeled off in huge sections. You can still find oil based paints outside of an art store??!!!

Hmmm...good question. :) I bought some just 2 years ago to paint a built in bathroom cabinet that had been painted in the 70's with oil base and latex just would not stick. At a True Value, I think, not sure. I don't know why that wouldn't work on walls as well when covering another oil-base. (the fumes are bad and so is clean-up)

Anyway, I'm not a professional painter but have done a fair amount of interior painting and have never had latex over latex peel off - even matte over semi-gloss. Just hoping to save you the effort of sanding an entire room plus ceiling! :) (short of volunteering to pack up brushes and rollers and take a long road trip)

Hmmm...good question. :) I bought some just 2 years ago to paint a built in bathroom cabinet that had been painted in the 70's with oil base and latex just would not stick. At a True Value, I think, not sure. I don't know why that wouldn't work on walls as well when covering another oil-base. (the fumes are bad and so is clean-up)

Anyway, I'm not a professional painter but have done a fair amount of interior painting and have never had latex over latex peel off - even matte over semi-gloss. Just hoping to save you the effort of sanding an entire room plus ceiling! :) (short of volunteering to pack up brushes and rollers and take a long road trip)
Did remodeling and new construction for years, did my share of painting, I'll take the correct path just to ensure there are no problems down the road. :thup:

Yeah, every reputable cat must be able to avoid mouses from home... But when you don't have any mouse - maybe you have a recipe, how to force cat to eradicate cockroaches, lol? :)
Ms. Picolo doesn't let roaches into our home. She doesn't eat them, either, as I have found enough cockroach carcasses around to know she mauls them for sport on her exclusive watch.

Wonderful!!! How can I teach Mars to do the same?

p.s. If your Ms. Picolo would have a children, could you give me one of them? It would be a good reason to visit Russia again and I'll show you anything what do you want to see here :)

I would love to visit your country though I don't have any cat children to offer at this time in our lives. Visiting all over Europe has been on my to do list for a long time.

Oh, without a cats it would be a bit easier! Welcome to Moscow, maybe we'll still have a chance to visit Lenin's Mausoleum (I never wasn't there, but I think, I must visit it while it still works :))

I cannot say that Leinn's Mausoleum has been on my to do list, but hey. It could be interesting. :)

In Soviet Union Lenin was "A Great Teacher" and so on, I remember many books for children, how Lenin was good and so on...
Now they tell about "his evil eyes", his "cruelty" and so on and on...
As I read about real Lenin - he is just an etalon of self-made man. He wanted career - and he made, what he wanted! Good example to be the same, I think... But to live a bit more than he...

Forum List

Back