USMB Coffee Shop IV

Decided to get a Pack Rat storage unit delivered to the house so we can move out of the Roswell house and still be able to finish up the work in the new house without extending our lease another half a month, it's definitely cheaper with the storage unit in the driveway.

Decided to get a Pack Rat storage unit delivered to the house so we can move out of the Roswell house and still be able to finish up the work in the new house without extending our lease another half a month, it's definitely cheaper with the storage unit in the driveway.

If my thinkin is straight you won't have to handle all your treasures as many times also...

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.
And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Montrovant for continued progress in his transition.
JustAnotherNut for strength and wisdom dealing with challenges.
Gracie & Mr. G in difficult transition and for positive trend to continue.
BigBlackDog aka BBD for healing and wellness
GallantWarrior for pain relief and healing,
Ringel for healing and Mrs. R facing serious health challenges in difficult transition
Seagal and Mr. Seagal.
Beautress for wellness and thoughts with her and her friend EJ and his family.
All those we love and care about who aren't on the list.

And we keep the porch light on so that those who have been away can find their way back.

Sympathy-Quotes-10.jpg

My youngest just graduated from high school last week and had been working with a recruiter to join the Army. He's already taken the ASVAB and has tentatively chosen to be Combat Engineer, though he still has to go to Seattle next week for the other tests. And should have no problem there as well. Then in September, will be sent to Fort Leonard Wood, MO for 14 weeks of training

While I support his decision and have always encouraged my kids that if it's something they really want, then not let anyone (including me) keep them from it......but as a Mom, I don't have to like it and I'm really not sure just how I feel about it. I am proud of him for sure, but also worried/scared/nervous for his chosen path. He seems to think its all about 'blowing shit up'. I told him, just don't blow yourself up.

I've not had any real direct experience with military......so can anyone enlighten me here???

JAN, first thank you and your son for his pending Service to our Country... I am a little biased as I am forever grateful to the U.S. Army for teaching me how to grow up... And hell I was 21 years old when I enlisted... I would not trade the experience for love nor money... Don't get me wrong not everything was hunky dory, but neither is life...
Please believe me that he will not be "blowing shit up" on a regular basis... Until he gets a little hair on his chin he will be a truck driver maybe... Combat Engineers do a hell of a lot other stuff than detect and dispose of mines and bulk explosives. If that is all he wants to do he will be a little disappointed, but that is all right they will keep him busy enough that he won't remember to be disappointed...

I am sincere in my appreciation to both you and him... :salute:

Once a parent, always a parent .. overall it's a great blessing but sheesh, what a heck of an investment of time a money...

My youngest just graduated from high school last week and had been working with a recruiter to join the Army. He's already taken the ASVAB and has tentatively chosen to be Combat Engineer, though he still has to go to Seattle next week for the other tests. And should have no problem there as well. Then in September, will be sent to Fort Leonard Wood, MO for 14 weeks of training

While I support his decision and have always encouraged my kids that if it's something they really want, then not let anyone (including me) keep them from it......but as a Mom, I don't have to like it and I'm really not sure just how I feel about it. I am proud of him for sure, but also worried/scared/nervous for his chosen path. He seems to think its all about 'blowing shit up'. I told him, just don't blow yourself up.

I've not had any real direct experience with military......so can anyone enlighten me here???

JAN, first thank you and your son for his pending Service to our Country... I am a little biased as I am forever grateful to the U.S. Army for teaching me how to grow up... And hell I was 21 years old when I enlisted... I would not trade the experience for love nor money... Don't get me wrong not everything was hunky dory, but neither is life...
Please believe me that he will not be "blowing shit up" on a regular basis... Until he gets a little hair on his chin he will be a truck driver maybe... Combat Engineers do a hell of a lot other stuff than detect and dispose of mines and bulk explosives. If that is all he wants to do he will be a little disappointed, but that is all right they will keep him busy enough that he won't remember to be disappointed...

Hmm I was going to welcome JAN back to the Coffee Shop too--she hasn't been here in awhile--but she seems to have deleted her post? Well good to see her anyway. We have a nephew who was a combat engineer and he said he learned a lot about digging holes and building stuff but actually spent most of his time on base. He did learn how and where to set explosives but rarely got to blow anything up. :)

I am going to apologize to everybody in advance because once I saw this, the d*** song is stuck in my head and I don't want to be alone. . .

35052192_477365496030542_8480088797655072768_n.jpg
I stole this and posted it to my FaceBook.A friend became the perfect straight man and replied with a meme that said, "Why?"

My reply?
Why? because we like you M-O-U-S-E

I am going to apologize to everybody in advance because once I saw this, the d*** song is stuck in my head and I don't want to be alone. . .

I stole this and posted it to my FaceBook.A friend became the perfect straight man and replied with a meme that said, "Why?"

My reply?

Oh I gotta do that. :) (You have a really evil streak in you Ernie. I love it.)

So far, this has been one of those days. And as we have our weekly 42 game this afternoon, I fully intend to keep it going.

62654260_2320372298027963_3581360708857626624_n.jpg

Hmm I was going to welcome JAN back to the Coffee Shop too--she hasn't been here in awhile--but she seems to have deleted her post? Well good to see her anyway. We have a nephew who was a combat engineer and he said he learned a lot about digging holes and building stuff but actually spent most of his time on base. He did learn how and where to set explosives but rarely got to blow anything up. :)

Well I sincerely hope I have not offended JAN... I have a tendency to do that ever so often without trying… :dunno:

Well I sincerely hope I have not offended JAN... I have a tendency to do that ever so often without trying… :dunno:

I don't think you did Ridgerunner. I certainly didn't see anything in your post anybody could have taken offense to. I think she deleted it before she saw you responded maybe? She might have intended to post it somewhere other than the Coffee Shop?

My reply?

Oh I gotta do that. :) (You have a really evil streak in you Ernie. I love it.)
I am truly evil. My last name is very close to Schrodinger, so I collect cat memes, but every once in a while, I give dogs equal time.
pavlovs_dog.png

My youngest was a combat Engineer. He spent his 13 months in Iraq disarming or disposing IEDs. They did get to blow things up occasionally. He breached a wall one night to allow entry to get to some nasty characters.

We finally finished painting the great room, it was what I call a dingy yellow, now the room looks fresh and bright. Will attempt to get the master bedroom next.

No, you didn't offend me at all. I appreciate your comments & support. Foxfyre was right that I had deleted my post before anyone seen it...or so I thought. I didn't want it to sound as whiney as I thought it was or how I felt at the time.

And I do realize there is a lot more to the job than explosives & mine fields......it's just that knee jerk reaction of a Mom that hears her baby is going to be "Combat" anything and atleast part of the duties has to do with explosives...….especially when this one was never that interested. It was always #2 that was the fighter, loves guns & about half crazy (in a good way) that I had expected to join. #3 will be ok, he's got a cool head on his shoulders. I think he's going in for 3 years to start, but may stay longer.

pssst…..about that 'blowing shit up'...….I'm not telling him otherwise.

Thank you for the welcome back, though it may be just a pass thru. I haven't been on the board so much either. Same arguments from the same people about the same people......just scramble the party affiliation now & then.

For #3, I think the explosives part may just be the cherry on top. He's always wanted to travel, excitement & adventure, and after the last few years here at home, even digging holes and building stuff on a base half way across the country would qualify. After having some time to think about this,, I think this will do him a world of good and a chance for him to find himself and just what he's made of. Up until now, he's always seemed to live in #2's shadow and this will give him the chance to step out on his own two feet.

Thank you for the welcome back, though it may be just a pass thru. I haven't been on the board so much either. Same arguments from the same people about the same people......just scramble the party affiliation now & then.

For #3, I think the explosives part may just be the cherry on top. He's always wanted to travel, excitement & adventure, and after the last few years here at home, even digging holes and building stuff on a base half way across the country would qualify. After having some time to think about this,, I think this will do him a world of good and a chance for him to find himself and just what he's made of. Up until now, he's always seemed to live in #2's shadow and this will give him the chance to step out on his own two feet.

I think a lot of us know how you feel as a mom sending her kid off to maybe war? That's how I felt when my son joined the Navy with the goal of becoming a fighter pilot. An old football injury flaring up ended that dream. And then I wavered between relief and sorry that his dream was over. But it all works out.

And passing through or not, its good to see you. We all know what you mean about the same old same old vitriol, hyper partisanship, and utter futility in so many of the political discussions. But every now and then there is a flash of insight, a fogged mind is inspired to see something differently, real education happens. Very very rare. But it happens.

Meanwhile the Coffee Shop remains a refuge where we can set aside all that and just enjoy, encourage, support, and appreciate each other.

Arrgghh! This cat is driving me nuts! I know she's loving on me but she's overflowing onto my keyboard. I have to keep going back and correcting the mess she's helping me make. And I feel like a total heel when I have to push her away. She's old, infirm, and really emotionally needy. Poor thing!

They all get that way towards the end gallantwarrior, I'm sorry to say.
Give the love she's looking for and needs right now.
How have you been lately, Peach? Mr. Peach still tooling around on his "bike"?

I've been pretty busy doings things around and in the house.
Trying to get everything organized also (things no longer needed thrown out) and slowly painting each room.
It's very frustrating for me to try and reconcile with the fact of what used to take a few hours in youth now takes days. !

Mr. P joined the Fraternal Order of Eagles motorcycle club a few months back and they get together and go out on rides for several hours every once in a while.
Then he rides almost every day just traveling around Cochise County.
Mr. P is doing pretty well, it's remarkable how he gets around having only one quarter of his heart working and having MS.
"what used to take a few hours in youth now takes days. !"
I've been thinking that a lot lately. One day it took half an hour to put on a pair of those compression socks to help keep the swelling off my ankles. They were so tight I almost had to cut them off with kitchen shears, but that took 20 minutes. At the end of 20 minutes, I was just mad. I thought it's awful to spend almost an hour to put on socks when in high school, we used to get 10 minutes to leave the gymn, shower, dry off, dress, and get to the next class after stopping by a locker to change books. lol

What a difference a lifetime makes. :lmao:
Had similar experience with compression socks when I was recovering from my knee surgery.
Y'all do know about that, don't you?
I'll have to wear compression socks for a while after surgery, too. How the hell am I supposed to get them on when I cannot bend over? I have one of those sock helper thingies but I can't the socks stretched over it. I hadn't even thought of the horror of removing the socks:shok:

Here is a question to discuss, lol:

Is it easier to get warm....or to stay cool?

This question was on my mind today as I sweated most of my weight in gallons today in 104 degrees at 10am today. ONE HUNDRED FOUR...at only 10AM!!!! wtf!!!
I hate this weather. Hate it hate it hate it. In Los Osos...it usually stayed around 60/65 year round..sometimes it would hit 75 or 80, rarely 90. Which is why I loved the coast. COOL air coming off the ocean. Here? Yuck yuck and double yuck. But the healthcare is awesome here. Still......

So....back to the question:
Staying cool...easier than keeping warm?
Depends on the time of year, I guess. Right now, staying warm is easier than staying cool. In winter, it's the opposite.
104!! Crap, that's hot. I'm sweating like a hog and it's only 67. And then I have to handle hay, which sticks to my sweaty parts and itches.

Forum List

Back