USMB Coffee Shop IV

Last edited:
I love 68 and sunny. 90? Not so much, later on in the week we'll get a little cooler. Stick around, we'll cheer you up.

Supposed to be near 100 here tomorrow. One truism about NC: don't like the weather...wait 10 minutes.

NC was where I learned to hate hot weather. I was miserable down there. It's even worse there in the summer than here and we get some high humidity here.

My father was from Gastonia NC. I was there once, when I was 9. I sure loved those lightening bugs. I learned to shoot then too. Shook up my cousin. They set up a crate with straw in it and he took the first shot, then told me to aim where he shot it. I did. He said I missed, I said I didn't. He went to the crate and found two bullets right there and only one hole. It was like Robin Hood. I was so proud of myself.

Busy day today.

Started out collecting about 700 Flags from the cemeteries. (Can't leave them until they rot)

Then while searching for the Army Inspector generals Address or Email I found an on line formal complaint form.

I filled it out. Chaplain Corps will hear from this ole Sergeant...

10556340_10152523221917808_2627319246887610346_n.jpg

Two words Foxfyre: Junk mail. ;)

Anyone in favor of a don't mail list?

The fact that all that junque mail is delivered only affirms the point.

A do-not-mail list would presumably have the same effect as the do-not-call list: increasing the harassment exponentially.

I don't know about you, but I'm on the "do-not-call" list for both our landline and my cell phone and I never get any of those pesky calls we used to get a lot. The only ones that call are the Sheriff Dept wanting money, and now the Fire Department. Guess they think they don't have to obey the rules.....:eek:

We haven't hit 100 degrees yet, this summer, (although it feels like it) and the weatherman said we're getting a cold front soon....hope it goes down to at least 70.....it's been 95 every day this week.

beat-the-heat.jpg

Air catditioner?

:D

There were two different times when a boyfriend had to build either a perch or a walkway for my cats. One time I had moved to a converted garage on someone's property. It was a nice conversion, and the house and garage were surrounded by a big fenced yard and garden. But, the people in the main house had a big dog. My cat got to roam free, but I felt she would want to be able to get out of reach of the dog if necessary. So my friend build a perch for the cat to climb up on just outside my back door. It was a ladder leading to a platform, built on the deck outside my kitchen window.

Another time, years later and a different cat and boyfriend, I had moved to the upstairs flat in a house, and the stairway was an indoor stair way. To make it easy for the cat to go in and out, my then boyfriend build a walkway from the upstairs window down to the roof of the carport and then a step ladder down to the lawn, also a fenced yard. Both of these worked quite well for the cats.

That's what this photo reminded me of--adapting your house to suit the cat's needs. :)

Our first house was a split level with a garage jutting out in front of it. Our cat was really mean. He would go get the attention of the neighbors dog until it started chasing him, then he would jump up on the roof of our garage and tease the dog until the dog got tired and went home. Then the whole thing would start all over again.

I don't really believe in inside cats. My cats have always been inside/outside cats. My last cat was with us for 20 years. I still miss her. I want a kitty!

[MENTION=36767]Bloodrock44[/MENTION] has a pair of cute kitties looking for good homes! :eusa_whistle:

There were two different times when a boyfriend had to build either a perch or a walkway for my cats. One time I had moved to a converted garage on someone's property. It was a nice conversion, and the house and garage were surrounded by a big fenced yard and garden. But, the people in the main house had a big dog. My cat got to roam free, but I felt she would want to be able to get out of reach of the dog if necessary. So my friend build a perch for the cat to climb up on just outside my back door. It was a ladder leading to a platform, built on the deck outside my kitchen window.

Another time, years later and a different cat and boyfriend, I had moved to the upstairs flat in a house, and the stairway was an indoor stair way. To make it easy for the cat to go in and out, my then boyfriend build a walkway from the upstairs window down to the roof of the carport and then a step ladder down to the lawn, also a fenced yard. Both of these worked quite well for the cats.

That's what this photo reminded me of--adapting your house to suit the cat's needs. :)

Our first house was a split level with a garage jutting out in front of it. Our cat was really mean. He would go get the attention of the neighbors dog until it started chasing him, then he would jump up on the roof of our garage and tease the dog until the dog got tired and went home. Then the whole thing would start all over again.

I don't really believe in inside cats. My cats have always been inside/outside cats. My last cat was with us for 20 years. I still miss her. I want a kitty!

[MENTION=36767]Bloodrock44[/MENTION] has a pair of cute kitties looking for good homes! :eusa_whistle:

You probably would have to pry them out of his and Munchkin's hands....they are adorable and he's not giving them away....I don't think....:D

You probably would have to pry them out of his and Munchkin's hands....they are adorable and he's not giving them away....I don't think....:D

I know...I am just busting him! :D

Oh hell no [MENTION=42916]Derideo_Te[/MENTION] [MENTION=43625]Mertex[/MENTION] my babies are going nowhere. I'll post pics when I can get them to sit still together.

I just found out that the 2nd friend of my son's who passed away was from a heroin overdose. what are these kids thinking? are they even thinking

Not if they're on heroin they're not. My condolences to you and your son, and the poor kid's family.
Unfortunately this is an all too familiar scene. Many of us know someone who's family has been tragically affected by drug addiction. We need to try harder to convince kids to stay off the stuff.

I recall back when Reagan was President we had a "Just Say No" to drugs campaign, which was headed by then First Lady Nancy Reagan. Kids often look up to important figures. The best way to get kids attention on this issue is by having role models and celebrities visit schools, and have them stress the dangers of drug addiction. Parents also need to take a proactive role, and monitor their kids behavior.

I have 2 Cowboy hats.

I have owned one of them for about 40 years, Black, with a feathered belt.

The other was given me by my troops as a PCS (Permanent Change of Station) (Or goodby present)gift back in 82. It is a tan Stetson. One of those $145 ones. It never did get worn much.....

I just found out that the 2nd friend of my son's who passed away was from a heroin overdose. what are these kids thinking? are they even thinking

Not if they're on heroin they're not. My condolences to you and your son, and the poor kid's family.
Unfortunately this is an all too familiar scene. Many of us know someone who's family has been tragically affected by drug addiction. We need to try harder to convince kids to stay off the stuff.

I recall back when Reagan was President we had a "Just Say No" to drugs campaign, which was headed by then First Lady Nancy Reagan. Kids often look up to important figures. The best way to get kids attention on this issue is by having role models and celebrities visit schools, and have them stress the dangers of drug addiction. Parents also need to take a proactive role, and monitor their kids behavior.

Some people have what are known as addictive personalities and are more prone to substance abuse. Identifying them young and teaching them that they have this propensity is good preventative measure. That doesn't cover everyone but it is a place to look.

In addition the schools do a good job with educating kids but you are correct that parents play the biggest role of all. When it came time to have that talk with my own daughter I was perfectly honest and told her that her mother had never touched any illegal drugs. :D

That opened the door and I explained to her that a lot of what she had been told was not completely accurate. I told her that marijuana wouldn't hurt her but being caught by the police with it would do her far more harm than the drug itself could ever do. She heeded my advice and never touched anything.

A do-not-mail list would presumably have the same effect as the do-not-call list: increasing the harassment exponentially.

I don't know about you, but I'm on the "do-not-call" list for both our landline and my cell phone and I never get any of those pesky calls we used to get a lot. The only ones that call are the Sheriff Dept wanting money, and now the Fire Department. Guess they think they don't have to obey the rules.....:eek:

There are 2 exclusions for the Federal DNC law: 1) professional fundraisers 2) anyone who you've done business with during the past 18 months

Supposed to be near 100 here tomorrow. One truism about NC: don't like the weather...wait 10 minutes.

NC was where I learned to hate hot weather. I was miserable down there. It's even worse there in the summer than here and we get some high humidity here.

My father was from Gastonia NC. I was there once, when I was 9. I sure loved those lightening bugs. I learned to shoot then too. Shook up my cousin. They set up a crate with straw in it and he took the first shot, then told me to aim where he shot it. I did. He said I missed, I said I didn't. He went to the crate and found two bullets right there and only one hole. It was like Robin Hood. I was so proud of myself.

Sorry but that's disgusting.

Sorry but that's disgusting.

How so?

Every time I tried the Do Not Call list it seemed to increase the calls. I do get the occasional (mail) solicitation from the local rescue squad -- the same guys who came out to rescue Hobbes twice. :bow2:

Forum List

Back