USMB Coffee Shop IV

My shoulder is improving, albeit slowly. Helped no doubt by the warmth of the eastern Mediterranean sun. I'm living in the birthplace of Aphrodite right now. So many myths and legends have passed through this place.

.. Shoulder .. "warmth of the eastern Mediterranean sun". you say .. hobnobbing with Aphrodite . :)

.. what's the polite way to say that I'm kinda envious... :dunno:

(We just got our first frost, goodbye garden .. hello autumn...)

P916--O2497_l.jpg

Which reminds me, I have a couple of grape vines in the back yard, obviously came with the house. Unfortunately we've had a good amount of rain otherwise they'd be dead by now and fairly easy to remove. Now I have to hack em back and hit em with some root killer.
The Red Maple in the back is almost dead though, that's a good thing, looks like it may have been planted withing the last couple of years as have to regular Maples up front, one is (unfortunately) thriving the other is half dead........

I got an offer for the new job. I'd be getting paid $3/hr more than I am now. It's further away by about 12 miles, so I'll have to drive more. With a 6PM start time, traffic could be bad on the way there, making it perhaps as much as a 45 minute drive. The drive home shouldn't be more than 25 minutes. It takes me no more than 10 minutes to get into and home from work now. On the other hand, I need to work about 47 hours now to make what I'd get for 40 hours at the new job. The new one is also medical, which is both the general field of my degree and something I feel fairly confident can lead to a long-term career, whether at this company or another; I'm not sure about the printing company job.

I'm awaiting emails regarding background check and drug screening from the new place. Once I've gotten that going, I'll probably put in my 2 weeks notice at my current job. The new job won't start until Nov. 4, so I may take a week or so in between to go visit Florida. Of course, it's always possible the current job will make some sort of counter-offer, so we'll see. :dunno:

Was going to go out and pick up free pallets today........ Not gonna happen, the weather guessers got it right, it's raining........

Which reminds me, I have a couple of grape vines in the back yard, obviously came with the house. Unfortunately we've had a good amount of rain otherwise they'd be dead by now and fairly easy to remove. Now I have to hack em back and hit em with some root killer.
The Red Maple in the back is almost dead though, that's a good thing, looks like it may have been planted withing the last couple of years as have to regular Maples up front, one is (unfortunately) thriving the other is half dead........

It sounds like you've settled down old friend, no moves for a while I'm thinkin. All the best to you and yours Ringel.

I added a lot of top soil and steer manure to the garden last fall, huge improvement but still not quite there with the corn. Top soil and manure are pretty cheap this time of year and I like to add most soil amendments this time of year.

Was going to go out and pick up free pallets today........ Not gonna happen, the weather guessers got it right, it's raining........

Two hours later and the sun is out and it looks like everything is past us and moving east. Got some good soaking rain though. And blessedly our roof didn't leak since our roofer cleaned out the blocked canale. Repairs next Wednesday and we should be good to go even if it snows.

Balloon Fiesta time in Albuquerque with the first mass ascension in the morning. Hundreds of thousands of extra people in town. The considerable extra traffic plus heavy rain made getting Aunt Betty to her eye doctor appointment mid day interesting--at one point I thought I might have to install an outboard motor on my Subaru--but we made it fine.

Some photos from last year's fiesta. . .
Balloon-Aerial-View-1-1600x900.jpg

18_PauldeBerjeois.jpg
albuquerque-balloon-festival-new-mexico.ngsversion.1506540204447.adapt.1900.1.jpg
151004123720-03-balloon-fest-restricted-super-169.jpg
hot-air-baloon-cover.jpeg

It sounds like you've settled down old friend, no moves for a while I'm thinkin. All the best to you and yours Ringel.

I added a lot of top soil and steer manure to the garden last fall, huge improvement but still not quite there with the corn. Top soil and manure are pretty cheap this time of year and I like to add most soil amendments this time of year.
Yeah, we've settled down for now......, maybe forever, well see. I've got a lot of work to do on this old house (it's my age)...... :lol:
At this time the yard is secondary to the house, the back yard at least. Still trying to get the wife to get rid of stuff but she's resisting so I simply back off. Of course that means I'm going to have to find funds and materials to build a shed in the back for storage, fairly soon.

What do you have against grapes????? They can be mighty tasty, make great jelly and fermented for some veeno.

Just keep the vines cut back or they will take over your yard....maybe even the neighbors too

I got an offer for the new job. I'd be getting paid $3/hr more than I am now. It's further away by about 12 miles, so I'll have to drive more. With a 6PM start time, traffic could be bad on the way there, making it perhaps as much as a 45 minute drive. The drive home shouldn't be more than 25 minutes. It takes me no more than 10 minutes to get into and home from work now. On the other hand, I need to work about 47 hours now to make what I'd get for 40 hours at the new job. The new one is also medical, which is both the general field of my degree and something I feel fairly confident can lead to a long-term career, whether at this company or another; I'm not sure about the printing company job.

I'm awaiting emails regarding background check and drug screening from the new place. Once I've gotten that going, I'll probably put in my 2 weeks notice at my current job. The new job won't start until Nov. 4, so I may take a week or so in between to go visit Florida. Of course, it's always possible the current job will make some sort of counter-offer, so we'll see. :dunno:

Congrats on the job offer. It sounds like what you've been looking for. Hopefully the traffic will be going the other way.

Corn needs lots of nitrogen and heat. Grass clippings or 'greens' & coffee grounds are good for that. Planting early peas where you want the corn is a good idea too......the peas add nitrogen to the soil while they grow and when they are done producing is about the time to plant corn. Turn the used pea vines under before planting corn...….or plant them close together. Beans are another good one to plant near corn

What do you have against grapes????? They can be mighty tasty, make great jelly and fermented for some veeno.

Just keep the vines cut back or they will take over your yard....maybe even the neighbors too
I'm not a gardener by any stretch of the imagination and they're in the way of where I want to put my shed.

I'm not a gardener by any stretch of the imagination and they're in the way of where I want to put my shed.

well I tried...…..but I can't blame ya really. I have a grape vine that I didn't mess with this year and it nearly covered one corner of the yard. I'm tempted to take it out as well since I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep it cut back enough as I have too many other yard projects to keep me busy

Sounds like things are looking up Montro. Keeping my fingers crossed for it all to go just as it should.

well I tried...…..but I can't blame ya really. I have a grape vine that I didn't mess with this year and it nearly covered one corner of the yard. I'm tempted to take it out as well since I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep it cut back enough as I have too many other yard projects to keep me busy

Yeah. There is a 20 foot block wall all the way across the back of our lot--the lot is longest at the back and narrows down at the front. When we moved in, the entire wall was covered with honey suckle vines, but unfortunately they were only alive on the outside two or three feet out from the wall--all the interior was dead and creating a lot of weight on the wall as well as providing a lot of cover for unwanted rodents etc. So we finally bit the bullet and had it all taken out. I miss it, but we have to be practical in these matters. We also had a lovely old apple tree taken out as it was beginning to split at the trunk and keeping the THOUSANDS of little apples plus leaves cleaned up out of our yard and the pain to the neighbors as it overlapped theirs just was too much for us 'old folk' anymore. I miss it too, but it has certainly simplified our lives.

I figured out how to get at least half of my materials for the shed free......., more pallets. Been watching videos on pallet built structures and there's some pretty nice ones so I have to start collecting. At least one guy built a shed with completely free materials, used almost all mortise and tenon construction so very few nails or screws used. He even made his own door hinges out of nails and metal tubing, used 55 gal metal drums he flattened out for the roofing. It was a small shed, he used "burned" (used) diesel oil to stain the wood.

hqdefault.jpg

Forum List

Back