USMB Coffee Shop IV

I concede. He really REALLY doesn't like Village Inn. :) (But I honestly have eaten there a lot over the years and never got a bad meal. I mean it is what it is--think Denny's or Applebees--not exactly fine dining--but I have enjoyed the food.)

That first frost of the season crept along the lawns last night. It crunched under Daisy the Mutt's paws as she went outside this morning. Here it is mid October and not one tree has changed its green leaves for gold, red, russet and yellow.

Trick-or-treat candy has been on the store shelves since August, but I believe the treats sold now will actually make it to Halloween night.

The local Jaycees used to run a 'Haunted House' two blocks up the street in the old Lincoln Elementary school building. They would start working on it around the end of July. They built a labyrinth of plywood sheets painted flat black, a room where they set up a war surplus casket with a ghoul laying inside waiting to pop out and make the girls scream. Someone got the front end from an old Ford Fairlane; the headlights, grill, bumper and all that chrome. It would swing down from the ceiling, horn blaring and the headlights on. It swept just over head out of the dark.

On Halloween night the Haunted House would run until 9:00. Then the costumed crowd and 'actors' would canvass the neighborhood for treats. As the Luxurious Pimplebutt Estate was a mere two blocks down the street, my candy budget would be about the same as an electric bill in January. A dozen big bags of Reese's Cups poured into a three gallon stainless steel salad bowl would usually do the trick.

But the old Lincoln Elementray was torn down seven years ago to make for more parking at the Northside Dommunity Church. Trunk-or-Treat events are now the fashion. Kids dressed up for Halloween now go to the park or a supermarket parking lot and walk from car to car where generous adults open the trunk of their cars and pass out candy from there.

It keeps the kids off the dark streets in neighborhoods and provides a nice, safe atmosphere. But nice and safe just aren't supposed to be part of the Halloween experience. A little scary is what the holiday calls for. C'est la vive!

I may be in line for a promotion at work. Promotion may be the wrong word; I'm being considered for a different position. It would have wider responsibility, but would also pay more, so I guess promotion might fit. I don't know for sure I'll be getting it, or even if it will entail being hired directly by the company (I'm still working for the staffing company at this point), but my current work is starting to leave me with pain in my hand from flipping through cards for 40-50 hours a week, so it's probably a good idea for me to change things up a bit if I can. :p

I'm trying to decide if I want to buy myself a PlayStation for my birthday, or if I should wait and hope for a good Black Friday or Cyber Monday deal. I want to get it because The Last of Us 2 is coming out in February; I thought the first game was excellent and the trailers for the second look great. If I get the PS4 soon, I'll get the remastered version of the original game for free, I think. I actually tried to buy a system on ebay, but they wouldn't process my payment for some unknown reason, so I ended up having to get that transaction cancelled. I'd have to spend about $430 (for the console and a PS Pro subscription), and I'm also still considering getting a new video card and monitor some time soonish, so I'm not sure if I want to put out that kind of money.

Overtime is nice for the money, but it's been a bit annoying not getting home during normal business hours. Makes it hard to make appointments. :p
I spent about half my career as a contractor and it was very difficult to "go to the dark side" and accept a direct position. The key for me was being tired of overtime and a solid 401K plan. It ended up being a good decision to spend the last years of my career as a direct. Just my 0.02c. Good luck!

Hombre and I did just the opposite. Finally had our fill of working for a tyrannical and unreasonable boss, even though the money was really good, didn't want to start over with another firm, and we went back into business for ourselves for the rest of our working for pay experience. That turned out to be a good decision for us.
Congrats, that always impresses me when people are able to run their own business successfully. I did try that many years ago during my contracting years partnering with a couple of other engineers in a staffing company. We started out gangbusters but I soon found out how money can cause some people to lose all control. Fortunately I left the partnership before the you-know-what hit the fan :)

Saturday morning!

That's one hungry little billy goat.

Let the cartoon begin!

Good morning Oddball. :) Love your weekly Saturday morning cartoons. :)

I love bringing them to you....Was on a tight travel schedule last week and had no time.

Shame on you for having a life. (Kidding of course) :)

Driving from the Wisco northwoods to Naples, Florida...Good work, with some awesome recreational possibilities while in the neighborhoods.

A little golf here, maybe SCUBA @ Key Largo, and some possible paragliding (good weather permitting) @ Henson Gap, Tennessee on the return trip.

Life is good. :)

I may be in line for a promotion at work. Promotion may be the wrong word; I'm being considered for a different position. It would have wider responsibility, but would also pay more, so I guess promotion might fit. I don't know for sure I'll be getting it, or even if it will entail being hired directly by the company (I'm still working for the staffing company at this point), but my current work is starting to leave me with pain in my hand from flipping through cards for 40-50 hours a week, so it's probably a good idea for me to change things up a bit if I can. :p

I'm trying to decide if I want to buy myself a PlayStation for my birthday, or if I should wait and hope for a good Black Friday or Cyber Monday deal. I want to get it because The Last of Us 2 is coming out in February; I thought the first game was excellent and the trailers for the second look great. If I get the PS4 soon, I'll get the remastered version of the original game for free, I think. I actually tried to buy a system on ebay, but they wouldn't process my payment for some unknown reason, so I ended up having to get that transaction cancelled. I'd have to spend about $430 (for the console and a PS Pro subscription), and I'm also still considering getting a new video card and monitor some time soonish, so I'm not sure if I want to put out that kind of money.

Overtime is nice for the money, but it's been a bit annoying not getting home during normal business hours. Makes it hard to make appointments. :p
I spent about half my career as a contractor and it was very difficult to "go to the dark side" and accept a direct position. The key for me was being tired of overtime and a solid 401K plan. It ended up being a good decision to spend the last years of my career as a direct. Just my 0.02c. Good luck!

Hombre and I did just the opposite. Finally had our fill of working for a tyrannical and unreasonable boss, even though the money was really good, didn't want to start over with another firm, and we went back into business for ourselves for the rest of our working for pay experience. That turned out to be a good decision for us.
Congrats, that always impresses me when people are able to run their own business successfully. I did try that many years ago during my contracting years partnering with a couple of other engineers in a staffing company. We started out gangbusters but I soon found out how money can cause some people to lose all control. Fortunately I left the partnership before the you-know-what hit the fan :)

We had the same experience with our first business. We decided then and there that never again.

We had the same experience with our first business. We decided then and there that never again.

The back stabbing and the price dumping is the dark side of all that.

That first frost of the season crept along the lawns last night. It crunched under Daisy the Mutt's paws as she went outside this morning. Here it is mid October and not one tree has changed its green leaves for gold, red, russet and yellow.

Trick-or-treat candy has been on the store shelves since August, but I believe the treats sold now will actually make it to Halloween night.

The local Jaycees used to run a 'Haunted House' two blocks up the street in the old Lincoln Elementary school building. They would start working on it around the end of July. They built a labyrinth of plywood sheets painted flat black, a room where they set up a war surplus casket with a ghoul laying inside waiting to pop out and make the girls scream. Someone got the front end from an old Ford Fairlane; the headlights, grill, bumper and all that chrome. It would swing down from the ceiling, horn blaring and the headlights on. It swept just over head out of the dark.

On Halloween night the Haunted House would run until 9:00. Then the costumed crowd and 'actors' would canvass the neighborhood for treats. As the Luxurious Pimplebutt Estate was a mere two blocks down the street, my candy budget would be about the same as an electric bill in January. A dozen big bags of Reese's Cups poured into a three gallon stainless steel salad bowl would usually do the trick.

But the old Lincoln Elementray was torn down seven years ago to make for more parking at the Northside Dommunity Church. Trunk-or-Treat events are now the fashion. Kids dressed up for Halloween now go to the park or a supermarket parking lot and walk from car to car where generous adults open the trunk of their cars and pass out candy from there.

It keeps the kids off the dark streets in neighborhoods and provides a nice, safe atmosphere. But nice and safe just aren't supposed to be part of the Halloween experience. A little scary is what the holiday calls for. C'est la vive!

Was super busy yesterday and missed your wonderful periodic little anthology that I look forward to Nosmo. Hope you and Daisy are well.

We were just discussing in the Coffee Shop this past week the dilemma of a changing culture and Halloween. Yes spooky and scary but FUN are the traditional experience of that particular observance from when we were kids. And probably still is in small towns across America. But in too many places it has also become something more sinister, more mean, more dangerous.

Hombre and I are still struggling with whether we will decorate the porch and welcome the kids, or encourage them to go to one of the Trunk & Treat events at local churches etc. The first is the tradition for us. But perhaps the latter is the safer tradition and memory for them.

That really wasn't the issue with our business which was a service provided to other businesses. Our business partners were savvy and seemed so solid, but once we had formed our small corporation, they turned out to be more difficult to work with, got in personal trouble with the IRS that we feared could jeopardize us, and got a divorce which really complicated things. So we formally opted out.

As GW can testify, going into business with somebody is akin to a marriage, and just as stressful when things go sour. We have never ever regretted or second guessed ourselves that it was the smart thing to do to part ways when we did.

Always indulge myself with this one, when Stateside.

Unavailable in Europe.

key%2Blime%2Bpie%2BCollage%2B1.png

My fave, too! I'm not much into pies but I can always manage to stuff a piece of Key lime pie down the hatch.

A really good key lime or lemon meringue pie is my absolute favorite. Unfortunately our friend Dana that I cook for a lot takes meds that cause a bad reaction if she eats lemon or lime and Hombre doesn't care for either pie all that much. So I don't make them any more. But I sure do like them.
Then have a piece of pie as a treat when you are out somewhere. Village Inn up here makes very tasty key lime pies and their lemon meringue is probably good, too. I'm not fond of the meringue, though.

We almost never have dessert when we go out for whatever reason--I suppose because my aunt or Dana almost always pay for the meal. But I almost always serve dessert when they eat at our house which is our way of paying them back for their generosity. We get the treat of a meal out. They get the treat of a home cooked meal that they rarely get.

But I haven't tried the Village Inn's fare in quite awhile. One of these days maybe. They used to make the world's best French dip. They also used to make terrific French crepes but at some point discontinued that.

I used to go to Village Inn fairly frequently with friends while we were out and about late at night/early morning. The food wasn't great, but nor did I find it terrible. I tended to get French toast or pancakes, though, along with lots of coffee (the real reason we went there).
Most of us go to Village Inn because it's open after hours and early mornings. You don't necessarily go for the food, you do take a bunch of friends, though. I don't go as often as I used to. Few friends who have a schedule that allows us to get together often. That, and the partner made some asinine comment to a server once that she took the wrong way. He was being cute and flirting but he has almost no social skills so sometimes he says some pretty stupid, and potentially offensive, things.

Not doin' so good, ended up yesterday with a full blown head cold. Still the wife wanted to go up to Hyde Park in the mountains above Santa Fe to see the Aspens. It was pretty, got some good picts and amazingly felt pretty good while we were up in the mountains, feel pretty shitty now that we're home.

Hombre and I are still struggling with whether we will decorate the porch and welcome the kids, or encourage them to go to one of the Trunk & Treat events at local churches etc. The first is the tradition for us. But perhaps the latter is the safer tradition and memory for them.

Just remember.....it's not up to the kids how & where to celebrate the holiday. Some may not have the opportunity to go elsewhere. And don't forget, you have played a part in their memories as well, by just being there. Let the numbers of kids from last year be your deciding factor of whether or not you decorate & participate...….if you had less than 5 kids last year, then maybe it's time to move on & let it go but if you had 20 or more kids, you'd better dust off the decorations & buy some candy,. (or whatever numbers you set)

When my kids were of the age, we did several things and would depend on availability. When they were little, there was a local church that did a 'trunk or treat' but they stopped after a couple of years. So then I took them to the local mall where many of the stores would hand out candy, plus a church group put on activities & games throughout the mall, giving out candy or stickers for participating. The school and our church would each host a 'Harvest Carnival' with games & activities giving out candy as well. But every year, I'd make sure to take them around the neighborhood......just because of the tradition and they enjoyed every bit of it.

ok, maybe I enjoyed it too and my own memories of the fun of trick or treating door to door....because that's all I had.

That really wasn't the issue with our business which was a service provided to other businesses. Our business partners were savvy and seemed so solid, but once we had formed our small corporation, they turned out to be more difficult to work with, got in personal trouble with the IRS that we feared could jeopardize us, and got a divorce which really complicated things. So we formally opted out.

As GW can testify, going into business with somebody is akin to a marriage, and just as stressful when things go sour. We have never ever regretted or second guessed ourselves that it was the smart thing to do to part ways when we did.
Yes I absolutely felt like I was trapped in a 'bad marriage'. Once I saw what was going on and that he wasn't going to change, I called a meeting with the company lawyer and was formally bought out. I was never so relieved in my life!

Not doin' so good, ended up yesterday with a full blown head cold. Still the wife wanted to go up to Hyde Park in the mountains above Santa Fe to see the Aspens. It was pretty, got some good picts and amazingly felt pretty good while we were up in the mountains, feel pretty shitty now that we're home.

Hope you are feeling better soon. Did you go all the way up on your aspen tour? There is one vista on that road--might be between Hyde Park and the Ski Basin, can't remember for sure--that has a huge expanse of aspen spread across the face of the mountain that is the most outstanding to be found anywhere.

Speaking of colds, 007 mentioned he had a bad one the last time he posted and I don't think he has posted since. Anybody know if he's been around?

Forum List

Back