USMB Coffee Shop IV

A quick update if anyone cares: I ended up buying a 2019 Hyundai Elantra. While it is technically new because I am the first owner, it has 9000 miles on it as it was driven by a dealership manager. Apparently that's not an uncommon practice. Still, close enough to new for me, and I got what seemed like a pretty good price.

It's a base model, other than cargo netting and a first aid kit that came with it, so it doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles. Compared to my 2002 Saturn station wagon, though, it's got a ton of features. :lol:

Hyundai gives good warranties as far as time/distance go, and it's supposed to start at the 9k miles, so that's good. Hopefully I don't need it much. :)

A quick update if anyone cares: I ended up buying a 2019 Hyundai Elantra. While it is technically new because I am the first owner, it has 9000 miles on it as it was driven by a dealership manager. Apparently that's not an uncommon practice. Still, close enough to new for me, and I got what seemed like a pretty good price.

It's a base model, other than cargo netting and a first aid kit that came with it, so it doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles. Compared to my 2002 Saturn station wagon, though, it's got a ton of features. :lol:

Hyundai gives good warranties as far as time/distance go, and it's supposed to start at the 9k miles, so that's good. Hopefully I don't need it much. :)
Congratulations on your new car Montrovant! :):113:

i-just-wanted-to-say-goodnight-meme-for-him.jpg

:smile::bigbed:

Sounds like a plan. Here's hoping you fall in love with it. We all depend on our cars enough that we should drive one we enjoy driving.

Okay we're back up and running yet again everybody. Sorry I wasn't here earlier but hope we don't lose folks in the transition.

And the statistics so far:

The original USMB Coffee Shop opened on 5-4-2010 and acquired 80,455 posts and 3,285,729 views before it closed on 7-30-13.
USMB Coffee Shop II opened on 7-30-13 and acquired 25,935 posts and 486,351 views before it closed on 4-14-14.
The USMB Coffee Shop III opened on 4-15-14 and is closing on 5-15-14 with 2,803 posts and 32,229 views.

The original two Coffee Shops had acquired roughly 100,000 more views before CK had to delete them. I really hate losing all those great photos, especially of those of us who frequent the Coffee Shop, but oh well.

But at any rate, the stats for the Coffee Shop record now stand at 109,193 posts and roughly 3,904,309 views.

375 different people (give or take a few due to name changes) have posted in the Coffee Shop at some time.

I like to think this record is because of the really special people we have learned to get to know and love in the Coffee Shop, and the genuine affection, concern, and encouragement that can be found there. And there's always room for more folks who need or want or appreciate that.

Long live the Coffee Shop!!!
Yo you have any spare toilet paper

I got gold bullion

Alas esalla, we could spare a roll or two maybe. We have two orders out with one batch of toilet paper due to arrive mid May and the second sometime in June. It's crazy.

But welcome to the Coffee Shop and USMB. Happy you found us. Please read over the OP to see what we're all about in here and keep on joining in.

First timers receive a complimentary beverage and since it is bedtime for most of us, we'll make yours a nightcap:
I don't want a drink or to join your club, I do want to be able to wipe my ass as I have become accustomed to and perhaps to know why toilet paper went out of favor

That's okay too though we are a 'club' without dues or membership roll and folks only have to follow a couple of simple rules--no politics/religious arguing or trashing folks--to participate here. Having said that, the answer to your question is that too many folks were so afraid they wouldn't have it, they bought it all leaving none for the rest of us.

Okay we're back up and running yet again everybody. Sorry I wasn't here earlier but hope we don't lose folks in the transition.

The original USMB Coffee Shop opened on 5-4-2010 and acquired 80,455 posts and 3,285,729 views before it closed on 7-30-13.
USMB Coffee Shop II opened on 7-30-13 and acquired 25,935 posts and 486,351 views before it closed on 4-14-14.
The USMB Coffee Shop III opened on 4-15-14 and is closing on 5-15-14 with 2,803 posts and 32,229 views.

The original two Coffee Shops had acquired roughly 100,000 more views before CK had to delete them. I really hate losing all those great photos, especially of those of us who frequent the Coffee Shop, but oh well.

But at any rate, the stats for the Coffee Shop record now stand at 109,193 posts and roughly 3,904,309 views.

375 different people (give or take a few due to name changes) have posted in the Coffee Shop at some time.

I like to think this record is because of the really special people we have learned to get to know and love in the Coffee Shop, and the genuine affection, concern, and encouragement that can be found there. And there's always room for more folks who need or want or appreciate that.

I got gold bullion

Alas esalla, we could spare a roll or two maybe. We have two orders out with one batch of toilet paper due to arrive mid May and the second sometime in June. It's crazy.

But welcome to the Coffee Shop and USMB. Happy you found us. Please read over the OP to see what we're all about in here and keep on joining in.

First timers receive a complimentary beverage and since it is bedtime for most of us, we'll make yours a nightcap:
I don't want a drink or to join your club, I do want to be able to wipe my ass as I have become accustomed to and perhaps to know why toilet paper went out of favor

That's okay too though we are a 'club' without dues or membership roll and folks only have to follow a couple of simple rules--no politics/religious arguing or trashing folks--to participate here. Having said that, the answer to your question is that too many folks were so afraid they wouldn't have it, they bought it all leaving none for the rest of us.
No arguing? Is this a board only for snowflakes that can't take the heat?

Seriously how does an internet board not have arguments, that is the same as saying that everyone must agree with everything that everybody does or thinks and with the perspective worldwide use of a place like this that is just not logical.

Sounds like a plan. Here's hoping you fall in love with it. We all depend on our cars enough that we should drive one we enjoy driving.

I don't really understand that. For me, driving is just a way to get from place to place, not something I foresee ever really enjoying. I just want it to be comfortable, not need a lot of maintenance, get good gas mileage, and have just a little bit of pickup for passing. :p

I got gold bullion

Seriously how does an internet board not have arguments, that is the same as saying that everyone must agree with everything that everybody does or thinks and with the perspective worldwide use of a place like this that is just not logical.

Then you no doubt won't want to spend much or any time in the Coffee Shop. But I wish you well and thanks for stopping by.

I found my first complaint about my new car. It turns out that it has daytime running lights, but not automatic headlights. I didn't realize I only had the DRL on for a while tonight. I'm used to my Saturn, which did have automatic headlights. It feels weird that my 2002 Saturn station wagon had them and my new 2019 Hyundai does not. How is it not a standard feature by now? :p

I found my first complaint about my new car. It turns out that it has daytime running lights, but not automatic headlights. I didn't realize I only had the DRL on for a while tonight. I'm used to my Saturn, which did have automatic headlights. It feels weird that my 2002 Saturn station wagon had them and my new 2019 Hyundai does not. How is it not a standard feature by now? :p

That is strange. Maybe there's some way to fix that?

Just getting caught up, I saw where we were talking early computers... I don't know what they called the computer I sort of used back in the 70's but I had an ARPANET account and a room full of IT guys to operate the 2 rooms worth of computer while I advised my IBM card puncher what he needed to punch....
I used to work with a bunch of ladies who read through police reports and coded sheets of paper to be sent to the card punchers to be fed into rooms full of computers to maintain a database. We've come a long ways, baby!

gallantwarrior

GW several years ago you and I were telling each other war stories about our careers in the airline industry and I asked you if the bear was still inside Anchorage International... If I remember correctly you didn't believe it was... I have proof that it was there at one time... If my recollection serves me correctly this photo was taken of me and the bear in 1986... I was in Anchorage to piss out a fire with a customer that was needing special attention... Some 2-bit charter airline based out of Los Angeles from 1984 to 1990... They had three L-1011's and a a whole shitload of liquor... The liquor lasted longer than the Tristar's did...

I was discharged from the Army in 1978 and said the day I received my separation papers I was not going to shave ever again... I lied... When I worked for Dynair and was offered the position of Manager of Ramp Operations I was a Ramp Supervisor with a beard... People do silly stuff for money... I was going to make about 12 grand a year more taking the promotion... I could buy a lot of razor blades for that... Anyway here is the Big Brown Bear...

View attachment 328640
Ridgerunner,
Who are you? When I started working aviation 22 years ago, I first worked for Dynair, which became Swissair, which is currently Swissport. If that's you in the photo, you look familiar.
That bear is still around. He's been relocated over the years because of multiple renovations and additions to the terminals. The North Terminal is pretty much unused and the South Terminal was expanded several years ago.
I loved the L-1011. It was maintenance and service friendly. Did tend to leak fuel when it got too cold, though.

Congrats, Montro!

I got gold bullion

It wouldn't be so bad if it were after the trees got their leaves.

I got gold bullion

No arguments in the Coffee Shop. Plenty of other places on this board to scratch out eyes and bite backs. Here, we are celebrating something other than bloody victory.

That is strange. Maybe there's some way to fix that?

No, I just have to turn the lights on myself. I actually watched a short video from a guy who brought up reasons he thought things like automatic headlights aren't standard, where he pointed out ways US car lighting has lagged behind a lot of the rest of the world. I'll get used to it, it's just so strange that my crappy old Saturn had a feature like that and it isn't standard in all cars now. :lol:

gallantwarrior

GW several years ago you and I were telling each other war stories about our careers in the airline industry and I asked you if the bear was still inside Anchorage International... If I remember correctly you didn't believe it was... I have proof that it was there at one time... If my recollection serves me correctly this photo was taken of me and the bear in 1986... I was in Anchorage to piss out a fire with a customer that was needing special attention... Some 2-bit charter airline based out of Los Angeles from 1984 to 1990... They had three L-1011's and a a whole shitload of liquor... The liquor lasted longer than the Tristar's did...

I was discharged from the Army in 1978 and said the day I received my separation papers I was not going to shave ever again... I lied... When I worked for Dynair and was offered the position of Manager of Ramp Operations I was a Ramp Supervisor with a beard... People do silly stuff for money... I was going to make about 12 grand a year more taking the promotion... I could buy a lot of razor blades for that... Anyway here is the Big Brown Bear...

View attachment 328640
Ridgerunner,
Who are you? When I started working aviation 22 years ago, I first worked for Dynair, which became Swissair, which is currently Swissport. If that's you in the photo, you look familiar.
That bear is still around. He's been relocated over the years because of multiple renovations and additions to the terminals. The North Terminal is pretty much unused and the South Terminal was expanded several years ago.
I loved the L-1011. It was maintenance and service friendly. Did tend to leak fuel when it got too cold, though.

gallantwarrior

Who am I? I have been trying to answer that question for over 60 years... :laugh: As far as us ever running into each other back then, I have a funny feeling my age and departure from the Airline service business back in the early 90's due to a family illness more than likely limited the possibilities of us ever running into each other... Now the possibility of us knowing Swissport employees with a whole ton of chin whiskers is a little greater... When I went to work for the outfit they were known as ServAir... Early eighties...
I also spent about 6 months in Anchorage back in '81'... Lived in a hold Motel on Spenard Road. That's the one (time) that got away... Wish I would have never left...
Que' Sera Sera say the old folk...

gallantwarrior

View attachment 328640
Ridgerunner,

gallantwarrior

Who am I? I have been trying to answer that question for over 60 years... :laugh: As far as us ever running into each other back then, I have a funny feeling my age and departure from the Airline service business back in the early 90's due to a family illness more than likely limited the possibilities of us ever running into each other... Now the possibility of us knowing Swissport employees with a whole ton of chin whiskers is a little greater... When I went to work for the outfit they were known as ServAir... Early eighties...
I also spent about 6 months in Anchorage back in '81'... Lived in a hold Motel on Spenard Road. That's the one (time) that got away... Wish I would have never left...
Que' Sera Sera say the old folk...
Know Dave Ramirez?

Know Dave Ramirez?

Name is not familiar...

When I was working so many of the A&P Mechanic types were 10 to 20 years older than I was... Former Pan Am, Continental, Qantas employees that were just biding their time before retirement...
There was one young Korean whiz kid named Chae that was an Avionics genius... Like to know what happened to him... My mentor was trying to get him to go to a Maintenance Facility in Arizona and work... I didn't think it was going to be a good fit for the kid...

Forum List

Back