USMB Coffee Shop IV

Update from the (formerly) frozen North. We're in full Break-up mode which means that the mud is as deep now as the snow was two weeks ago. Once the underlying ice thaws, all the standing water will drain away and terra firma will once again reestablish itself.
Work is really hectic. I may have mentioned a significant increase in the amount of traffic coming through Anchorage. We went from 25-35 flights a day to over 50, almost 60, flights daily. Those are just the flights we handle, there are other companies that handle cargo and the few remaining passenger flights. Between the decrease in fuel production and the increase in traffic, we are now facing a potential jet fuel shortage.
Only two known cases of the virus at the airport (excluding passenger traffic), one was a pilot, the other an ATC staffer. Neither fatal or even hospitalized. Considering the number of people employed at the airport and the potential exposure, I think we're doing pretty damned well.
They're beginning the "open Alaska" protocols today. Lots of places can begin doing business but there are some pretty draconian requirements. Like hairdressers and nail salons can only take one client at a time with a reservation. Not a lot of jobs for most of those providers. A lot of the restaurants plan on continuing curbside service because the allowable number of guests on premises will probably still not pay the rent. Restrictions on travel to outlying communities remain in place because there is only spotty medical care available and they are quite effectively quarantined by geography.
My brothers are planning on coming up in June. I am making a to-do list, at their request. I'll take as much time off as I can and hopefully get a couple of these delayed projects done.
Well, that's all the boring stuff from up here. I am following y'all even if not actively participating. Much love and all best wishes for my CS friends and acquaintances. Keep your heads down and your powder dry.

I so wish you could have that hip surgery while your brothers are there.

The thermometer that was supposed to be delivered in May came yesterday. It doesn't seem to work, but it came.

Still waiting on face masks, yeast, and toilet paper, most still projected to be delivered several weeks from now.

EpicBad Decisions.jpg

My service engine light came on 2 days ago after work. I used my scanner and it looks like I may need a new air pump. I'm also leaking oil, it's gone from just a little bit getting on the ground now and then to an unfortunately large amount. So, it's time for a new car. I'm looking to buy a new car this time, rather than used, but I am not someone who haggles. I haven't even contacted a dealer yet and I'm already frustrated with the search and all the crap that will go into the purchase. It's odd how all the dealerships offer to bring the cars to you to test drive, deliver the car you purchase, things like that because of the coronavirus.

I would suggest you find a CarMax near you somewhere, the listed price is the price, period. There is no haggling and no hassle and the buying experience is stress free. I'm not entirely sure if they sell brand new cars, I bought a used car this way, and I don't mind the haggling process, but I couldn't find a VW near me, and CarMax had what I was looking for. 7 years after I bought the car I still have not had a single issue with this vehicle and is probably one of the best cars I've ever owned.

Do your research and make sure that their price is the fair price, just check prices on what you are interested in on these cars being sold elsewhere (eBay, Cars.com, etc., etc.)

My service engine light came on 2 days ago after work. I used my scanner and it looks like I may need a new air pump. I'm also leaking oil, it's gone from just a little bit getting on the ground now and then to an unfortunately large amount. So, it's time for a new car. I'm looking to buy a new car this time, rather than used, but I am not someone who haggles. I haven't even contacted a dealer yet and I'm already frustrated with the search and all the crap that will go into the purchase. It's odd how all the dealerships offer to bring the cars to you to test drive, deliver the car you purchase, things like that because of the coronavirus.

I would suggest you find a CarMax near you somewhere, the listed price is the price, period. There is no haggling and no hassle and the buying experience is stress free. I'm not entirely sure if they sell brand new cars, I bought a used car this way, and I don't mind the haggling process, but I couldn't find a VW near me, and CarMax had what I was looking for. 7 years after I bought the car I still have not had a single issue with this vehicle and is probably one of the best cars I've ever owned.

Do your research and make sure that their price is the fair price, just check prices on what you are interested in on these cars being sold elsewhere (eBay, Cars.com, etc., etc.)
Carmax is definitely the way to go if you have a car that is a POS. My son's car I bought for him in high school served him well but the check engine light kept coming on for various reasons and the last problem was going to cost nearly as much as the car was worth. We went to Carmax and found a sweet Honda Civic with low miles, they gave him a thousand bucks for the old car and we were out of there in an hour and a half. No muss no fuss. And the Civic has just been great.

CarMax is only used cars, as far as I can tell. I'm getting a new one this time, assuming I find a deal I like in a fairly short time.

I'm going to a dealership tomorrow to check out a new 2019. It looks like a good deal on the website, probably because they want to get it sold and just keep 2020s around. I think it's the only new 2019 they have in their inventory. Fingers crossed I can work something out.

Went to the bank today everyone inside wearing mask there was a time people in a bank wearing mask would have created major panic.
Your bank lobbies are open? If you want to do banking business, you have to use the drive through here, or make an appointment if it's something that can't be done out the car window.
Well, another light in the darkness... I spoke to my daughter yesterday and they are on lockdown, too. Being a military base in a foreign country means they are even more restricted than most of us. The girls are no longer in school, school work being done on line. Hubby's team is no longer going on missions for the duration. My daughter is a bit depressed because she did value her quiet time alone during the day and the time to clean the house, etc. But being confined together has apparently brought the girls back together closer than they have been for years. The giggles and laughter from upstairs, they visit each other's rooms, experiment with hair styles and make up, read online articles and blogs together are a bright spot in my daughter's day. The girls have become friends again. They are also helping a lot more around the house and preparing family meals.

Went to the bank today everyone inside wearing mask there was a time people in a bank wearing mask would have created major panic.
Your bank lobbies are open? If you want to do banking business, you have to use the drive through here, or make an appointment if it's something that can't be done out the car window.
Well, another light in the darkness... I spoke to my daughter yesterday and they are on lockdown, too. Being a military base in a foreign country means they are even more restricted than most of us. The girls are no longer in school, school work being done on line. Hubby's team is no longer going on missions for the duration. My daughter is a bit depressed because she did value her quiet time alone during the day and the time to clean the house, etc. But being confined together has apparently brought the girls back together closer than they have been for years. The giggles and laughter from upstairs, they visit each other's rooms, experiment with hair styles and make up, read online articles and blogs together are a bright spot in my daughter's day. The girls have become friends again. They are also helping a lot more around the house and preparing family meals.
I think they are open because so many people do online banking now.

OK... well how about the new face on USMB?

Not sure I like it. Lacks definition.

I think they need to replace the "love" emoji with a "great post" emoji ..

I just don't see myself sending a guy a "love" emoji unless I'm somehow related.. (Lumpy old school, I guess)

OK... well how about the new face on USMB?

mmm .. the none of my business but my nosy anyway guy is asking what were you doing until 9:23 in the morning?

btw.. pleased to meet you and I'm pleasantly impressed... :eusa_angel:

LOL. Corazon is in Manila, Phillipines. So right now it's almost 8 a.m. there, just a wee bit earlier than Australia. It's going on 1 a.m. in London and it's dinner time in New Mexico. I can sort of work all that in my head but it's tough because I'm one that uses the international date line but it really doesn't compute for me.

Corazon is a sweetheart. We've loved having her in the Coffee Shop

Forum List

Back