USMB Coffee Shop IV

Wow. That's amazing and kind of awful. Here you get called at most once a year but usually only every two to three years but have to show up at the courthouse for a two week period and can wait around all day or maybe an hour or so until they call all the jury pools for that day. And of course if you are put on a trial that takes weeks you're stuck.

I don't serve on a jury every year. If I'm really lucky, I'm just on standby to see if I need to show up for them to choose a panel. I've only made it through the process of being interviewed by the lawyers 5 times - and was not selected (which I believe is due to being a financial analyst as my profession). I've also asked to be excused (successfully) a couple of times due to feeling that I had a conflict of interest.

The cases themselves ranged from a guy being charged with spraying graffiti all over some railroad cars (that was a LONG time ago - clearly not a prosecutable offense in CA these days) - to murder - to drunk driving - to a horrific civil suit involving multiple deaths in a helicopter ride for a charity event.

Mostly, it's a bunch of boring waiting around in an uncomfortable space while lawyers negotiate. The jury pools if just leverage go bring pressure on the defendant.

I don't serve on a jury every year. If I'm really lucky, I'm just on standby to see if I need to show up for them to choose a panel. I've only made it through the process of being interviewed by the lawyers 5 times - and was not selected (which I believe is due to being a financial analyst as my profession). I've also asked to be excused (successfully) a couple of times due to feeling that I had a conflict of interest.

The cases themselves ranged from a guy being charged with spraying graffiti all over some railroad cars (that was a LONG time ago - clearly not a prosecutable offense in CA these days) - to murder - to drunk driving - to a horrific civil suit involving multiple deaths in a helicopter ride for a charity event.

Mostly, it's a bunch of boring waiting around in an uncomfortable space while lawyers negotiate. The jury pools if just leverage go bring pressure on the defendant.
That pretty well describes it. It's easier now when folks can bring their laptops and smart phones though. At least that helps the time pass faster.

504.png

Oh my it's late !

My computer is on the fritz so I'm on the phone and making more typos.
Finished my third charity quilt and jt's so pleasing to do charity Bees quilt tops again. One was rather large, so the last two were baby sized. It was fun, and it's way late so I will try to catch up when the repairman comes in the morning. Hope everybody is well & taking good care of themselves as in an apple a day. Love to all. Night!

It's been a while since I've been in here, the CS not the board. Last Monday I fell into a music rabbit hole some of which you all have already seen. However I finally listened to Pentatonix for the first time today. Yes I know most of you know who they are but I never heard them before. Heard of but never listened too. Their rendition of Hallelujah and Sound of Silence just blew me away, best renditions I've ever heard!!

As I stated I've been immersed in Home Free and Pentatonix videos for a while and anyone who has ever searched videos on You Tube knows all sorts of other videos show up on the right of the screen. I don't watch the "Got Talent" shows but one caught my eye and something made me click on it.
This girl went by the name of Nightbirde and she had a powerful message and song she wrote about what she was going through. She had terminal cancer but she wouldn't let it define her life, that she "was more then the bad things that happened to her". I had to do some further checking into her story and she went through a lot. Just after getting the cancer diagnosis her husband left her, she was in remission three times before if finally returned with a vengeance, she had a double mastectomy and other surgeries. Her song and story was seen by millions, her strength and positive attitude in the face of such adversity I'm sure has also made an impact on millions of people suffering the same or similar problems. R.I.P Jane "Nightbirde" Marczewski February 19, 2022.

She was 31 when she passed.

As I stated I've been immersed in Home Free and Pentatonix videos for a while and anyone who has ever searched videos on You Tube knows all sorts of other videos show up on the right of the screen. I don't watch the "Got Talent" shows but one caught my eye and something made me click on it.
This girl went by the name of Nightbirde and she had a powerful message and song she wrote about what she was going through. She had terminal cancer but she wouldn't let it define her life, that she "was more then the bad things that happened to her". I had to do some further checking into her story and she went through a lot. Just after getting the cancer diagnosis her husband left her, she was in remission three times before if finally returned with a vengeance, she had a double mastectomy and other surgeries. Her song and story was seen by millions, her strength and positive attitude in the face of such adversity I'm sure has also made an impact on millions of people suffering the same or similar problems. R.I.P Jane "Nightbirde" Marczewski February 19, 2022.

She was 31 when she passed.

We do watch AGT and have for years and I remember that audition. Amazing young woman with an incredible attitude.

We are also fans of Pentatonix. Some years ago there was a television competition singing show featuring acapella choirs doing riffing and beatboxing etc. of that style. It was pretty short lived, just a few seasons, but Pentatonix won the third season and it put them on the map.

Last edited:
Ah you're in your element. :)

Over time our granddaughter gets completely fascinated with this or that. From the time she was a middle schooler she totally immersed herself in Nascar and for years was definitely a super fan. Our son and DIL took her to Texas Speedway, Talladega and a couple of other Nascar famous places to see some of those races.

She's in her 30's now and has recently become a hockey super fan and for reasons known only to her, she is totally enthused with the Tampa Bay Lightnings. So some weeks ago, they were playing in Dallas and our son and DIL took her to see them.

Ah you're in your element. :)

Over time our granddaughter gets completely fascinated with this or that. From the time she was a middle schooler she totally immersed herself in Nascar and for years was definitely a super fan. Our son and DIL took her to Texas Speedway, Talladega and a couple of other Nascar famous places to see some of those races.

She's in her 30's now and has recently become a hockey super fan and for reasons known only to her, she is totally enthused with the Tampa Bay Lightnings. So some weeks ago, they were playing in Dallas and our son and DIL took her to see them.
This is the biggest amateur tournament in the nation...A four day festival.

Great action, great food,a time to reconnect with other super fans who also attend annually, and a giant jolt of energy and excitement from al the yoots.

It's been a while since I've been in here, the CS not the board. Last Monday I fell into a music rabbit hole some of which you all have already seen. However I finally listened to Pentatonix for the first time today. Yes I know most of you know who they are but I never heard them before. Heard of but never listened too. Their rendition of Hallelujah and Sound of Silence just blew me away, best renditions I've ever heard!!

I was fortunate enough to see them live a couple years ago.

Forum List

Back