USMB Coffee Shop IV

Speaking of beaches, I'd love to get back down to Cancun, stay on the Isla de Mujeres (Isle of Women for you English speakers).

7-23-09-Beach-Club-Restaurant-Isla-Mujeres.JPG

Go swimming with the fishies.......

cancun-snorkelling.jpg

any way to close out all that stuff to the right? all of the posts are like 3 words wide and 20 rows long.

Nope. Can't eliminate the space to the right apparently. A LOT of folks have petitioned for that on C_K's 'bugs' thread in Announcements and apparently that is something that can't be done.

Initially the programming allowed only the post you were responding to to be quoted with an arrow serving as link to other posts in the threads. But some of us saw that this made the context of a continuing discussion too difficult to follow and was tedious and cumbersome to use. Another site I post at uses that system and after years there now, I still hate it.

The trick is to physically delete the top layers if multi-quotes become a problem. It is less of a problem for those of us using PCs or laptops with big monitors I think. Probably maddening for those of you posting on smart phones or other small screens.

What does the red OP next to my name mean? Never mind it's gone.

The red OP shows up beside the name of the person who started the thread--wrote the OP :) You'll see the red OP beside my name here in the Coffee Shop for instance. So it won't show up in threads you post in that others have started, but only your own. Not sure why somebody thought that important, but some seem to like it and it doesn't hurt or hinder anything.

Good morning! I've been in the car for several hours on the way to the beach...only 6 more hours to go. I can't wait to climb into the hot tub with a giant glass of bourbon, served neat of course.
A 10 hour drive to the beach and you want to climb in a hot tub?:biggrin:

I know right. The house is on the beach. After I run down to the beach and put my feet in water then it will be hot tub time. These long rides make my muscle ache something terrible. Nothing a little booze and hot tub won't rectify. ;)
A ride to the beach from here is 10 minutes at the most unless it's spring break. Then it could take several days to make it the 6 miles to the Gulf

Alabama has some pretty beaches. Orange Beach is marvelous this time of the year.
I am right on a creek that will take me to Wolf's Bay and on to Orange Beach It would likely take an hour and a half by kayak. The Beach Express will get me there in 7 or 8 minutes.
Look for the little "Home" icon near top center.
snapshot5.png

Good morning! I've been in the car for several hours on the way to the beach...only 6 more hours to go. I can't wait to climb into the hot tub with a giant glass of bourbon, served neat of course.

I know right. The house is on the beach. After I run down to the beach and put my feet in water then it will be hot tub time. These long rides make my muscle ache something terrible. Nothing a little booze and hot tub won't rectify. ;)
A ride to the beach from here is 10 minutes at the most unless it's spring break. Then it could take several days to make it the 6 miles to the Gulf

Alabama has some pretty beaches. Orange Beach is marvelous this time of the year.
I am right on a creek that will take me to Wolf's Bay and on to Orange Beach It would likely take an hour and a half by kayak. The Beach Express will get me there in 7 or 8 minutes.
Look for the little "Home" icon near top center.View attachment 31822

That's awesome. It's such a lovely area. I guess I live near the coast as well if you count the Three Rivers as a coast. :)

My brother had a brush with homeland security and the U.S. Marshall's Service this week.

My brother now owns and operates the print shop that has been our family business since 1921.Over the years of operations, the shop has had its share of nefarious characters as clients. Crooked politicians, unsavory business owners and bookies from the local thoroughbred race track have all been customers of the shop. But Monday...

Three fellas from Yemen walked into a print shop. Two were adults and the third was a twelve year old boy. Only one of the adults spoke English. He explained that he wanted color copies of their Yemenese passport visas and their Yemanese birth certificates. My brother obliged them and sold them copies of everything they asked. The adult Yemanese saluted my brother by placing his thumbs together, forming a goal post looking arraignment and placing his hands on his forehead. Kinda like antlers, but the thumbs were together above his brow rather than planted on the upper corners of his head.

But on Tuesday...

One of the non-English speakers and the boy returned for more copies of documents. As the Middle Eastern customer spoke no English, he had a friend type the instructions to my brother on a cell phone app. The Yemnanese adult simply showed his phone to my brother and more copies were made and sold. Fine. Cash sale, no hassles.

But an hour later...

Five big black SUVs pulled up in front of the shop. Out hopped a small cadre of armed agents all wearing bullet proof vests festooned with stun grenades and badges. They came into the shop and asked my brother if he had seen the guy who was pictured on the warrant they produced.

That guy was named Scott Chaffee and he is a fugitive on the run from the long arm of the law. Mr. Chaffee had obtained an illegitimate driver's license using the address of the building right next door to the print shop. He had no connection to the Yemenese fellows who were in the shop just a few minutes before.

But the sight of Middle Easterners in the small river town here in Ohio coupled with the roll out of the Marshall's Service gave my brother quite a start! You just never know what's next when you run a print shop.

Back in the first grade, the teacher asked us what our fathers did for a living. Pop anticipated such questions to his first born on his first day of school. "My Daddy makes money at the printing shop!" I answered most precociously.

Hmmm. Interesting story Nosmo. I would think somebody would find wanting color copies of visa/passport documents and birth certificates quite interesting. Didn't it used to be illegal to make photocopies of paper money? Somewhere it seems to me it should be illegal to make photocopies of sensitive documents like that too, but then again. . . .I dunno. Arguments to be made both ways.

Interesting story back when the feds were tracking down Timothy McVeigh after the Oklahoma City bombing, McVeigh stayed at my Sister and BIL's Super 8 motel in a little town just east of here. Somehow they found out about it and showed up at the motel, confiscated the page of the registry where he had signed in--they did allow my BIL to take a photo copy of it first because other signatures were also on the page--and they confiscated some other related stuff. You never know what significance something like that might have.

That's awesome. It's such a lovely area. I guess I live near the coast as well if you count the Three Rivers as a coast. :)
Pittsburgh must be great during Spring Break. I bet the traffic is better anyway.

Interesting map. Is Wolf Bay et al sea water? Or fresh water?

Pittsburgh must be great during Spring Break. I bet the traffic is better anyway.

If only. It's so cold here during Spring Break. Most of the college kids flee to sandier locations with Palm trees. I always stayed in the city during Spring Break and worked.

So I ended up waiting for the doctor because they are always late. :rolleyes: The drugs were good cuz I woke up in the recovery room and finally was offered something to drink! :eek: Felt like nectar after not being allowed anything for 13 hours!!! Came home and crashed. Yes, it is akin to labor pains and no, the drugs barely take the edge off. Eventually I fell into an exhausted sleep and woke up at 5 am today. Very bruised and battered but the worst of the pain is gone. Now the healing begins! :)

So I ended up waiting for the doctor because they are always late. :rolleyes: The drugs were good cuz I woke up in the recovery room and finally was offered something to drink! :eek: Felt like nectar after not being allowed anything for 13 hours!!! Came home and crashed. Yes, it is akin to labor pains and no, the drugs barely take the edge off. Eventually I fell into an exhausted sleep and woke up at 5 am today. Very bruised and battered but the worst of the pain is gone. Now the healing begins! :)

Okay then. I can switch my positive thoughts to healing and glad it is over for you, Deri. I'm sure you do feel like you've been hit by a Mack truck and worse, but better than you would have felt had you tried to pass that sucker. You deserve some major league pampering.

Okay then. I can switch my positive thoughts to healing and glad it is over for you, Deri. I'm sure you do feel like you've been hit by a Mack truck and worse, but better than you would have felt had you tried to pass that sucker. You deserve some major league pampering.

Going to go and pamper myself right now. I have successfully completed all 3 of of my major work efforts today so I am going to go and make myself a margarita!

5e7b0f46044f3acbb2a4c001169c8f23.jpg

Hi All. Just wanted to check in. I have had kind of a rough hospital stay and recovery throughout August and wanted you all to know I haven't abandoned you.

It started with that Echocardiogram I told you about in May. It turned out to be serious but my heart is good. I will check in again as I am healing. I must admit I was hoping to find Becki posting. Good to see you all again tho. :)

[QUOTE="Foxfyre, post: 9789556, member: 6847]

Hmmm. Interesting story Nosmo. I would think somebody would find wanting color copies of visa/passport documents and birth certificates quite interesting. Didn't it used to be illegal to make photocopies of paper money? Somewhere it seems to me it should be illegal to make photocopies of sensitive documents like that too, but then again. . . .I dunno. Arguments to be made both ways.

Interesting story back when the feds were tracking down Timothy McVeigh after the Oklahoma City bombing, McVeigh stayed at my Sister and BIL's Super 8 motel in a little town just east of here. Somehow they found out about it and showed up at the motel, confiscated the page of the registry where he had signed in--they did allow my BIL to take a photo copy of it first because other signatures were also on the page--and they confiscated some other related stuff. You never know what significance something like that might have.[/QUOTE]

If they were real terrorists, why not just buy a color HP printer for $70 at Walmart?

Hi All. Just wanted to check in. I have had kind of a rough hospital stay and recovery throughout August and wanted you all to know I haven't abandoned you.

It started with that Echocardiogram I told you about in May. It turned out to be serious but my heart is good. I will check in again as I am healing. I must admit I was hoping to find Becki posting. Good to see you all again tho. :)

Awww I thought you had abandoned us for parts unknown because you didn't approve of the new software...I wish we'd had you on the vigil list, and I hope you're feeling better.:smiliehug:

Forum List

Back