USMB Coffee Shop IV

Since we're talking about our surroundings -

Very heavy fog on the lake and around the house this morning and then it started burning off. Then, just as I was about to go in, I saw an adult eagle, carrying an enormous fish fly right across in front of me. Since we're above the lake, he was at my eye level, long slow wing beats with that huge fish. What a lucky sighting and, even though it means cold weather is coming, we're thrilled the eagles are back.

We still have hummingbird feeders out and still see the little guys. We haven't had our peanut butter/seed hangers out but thinking I'll put them out now.

Not a day goes by that we are not thankful to have this beautiful place.

Good morning, everyone. Dark as can be outside. Should be in the low seventies for a few more days.
Thanks Jake. :D This morning is a good one. We have power and those foretasted thunderstorms yesterday---didn't happen...:lol:
Hey, AA. That "cold flash" that went through night before last brought no moisture, which means Ringel in Trinidad should be dry weather as well. Interesting those NW storms come through you to us in SLC and sw to southern Colorado and northeastern NM. I think the skip Foxy in Albuquerque.

Well good morning, (I think that's the common greeting among normal humans......).
Interesting day yesterday, went up to the Springs for dental appointments, dropped off some boxes and other items at the storage unit then started up to the dentists office.
Powers Blvd is the major east most north/south road, Grinnell joins it coming out of Widefield-Security and at that light the speed limit on Powers is 65. We were behind a grey Jeep Cherokee turning north on Powers when I saw this flash of white heading north on powers....... The Jeep broadsided the white Cadillac truck who was going faster than the speed limit and obviously didn't see the red light. The jeeps front end was gone, the truck ended up flipping end over end once and landed in the median right side up. I obviously pulled over, the wife called 911, lots of other people were stopping and of course everyone headed for the truck because the driver could be the most seriously injured. I headed over to the female Jeep driver, basically she was in a mild shock, some light abrasions and crying uncontrollably, an Army corporal joined us and I had him take her over to the side of the road.
Turns out the male pickup driver stated he had a bad back which this exacerbated quite badly but otherwise was uninjured, I never saw him but a half an hour later after the PD took our statements and released us they were still trying to cut him out of his pickup. Later I realized that if it had been a second later he would have broadsided us in my wifes little Prius and I wouldn't be posting this.........
Got to the dentist late, we had called so they knew what had happened then ran some errands, got something to eat and reluctantly went home. Had to stop two thirds of the way home to let my wife drive, guess I was finally relaxing from all the stress and caught myself nodding off behind the wheel. That would not have been good.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413474641.989486.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413474659.371321.jpg

I took these early this morning and this one a few days ago. I love the way our view changes.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413474793.520249.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Helping with a science class. I am supervising the creation of organelles drawn on paper.

Cool. Actually drawing cells undoubtedly helps them to visualize them. What age are the kids?

I used to love doing education programs with my owl and hawk. Its a federal requirement for rehabbers but the details vary by state. We were actually just talking about this last night - about me going back to raptor education. Its a huge commitment to the animals and they're expensive to keep correctly. Thinking about it but previous animal injuries have so trashed my hands, I have to really consider whether or not I want more of the same.

Cold last night in Florida. It got down to the mid 60's. Burrrr!!! Gonna be in the low 80's today. It's been a busy week so I might relax a little and hit the pool.

I hope your day is................:D

funny-gifs-bored2.gif

View attachment 32913View attachment 32914

I took these early this morning and this one a few days ago. I love the way our view changes.

View attachment 32915

Great view! Thanks.
Everything is still green here and smells like peanuts.

Yes peanuts. You see, there's a 350 acre peanut farm bordering my property and the peanuts have been turned over and are drying out a bit before the combines come out and pick them up. Looks (and smells) like a good crop this year. Net/acre should be right about $1,000/acre.

View attachment 32915

Beautiful location. :thup:

This what we wake up to every day:

trinover-7.jpeg

We are working on getting back up to Colorado Springs though, no more Podunk towns for us. This is the view we want to wake up to every day:
1-pikes-peak-and-garden-of-the-gods-jon-holiday.jpg

I'm originally from that neck of the woods. Went to high school in Castle Rock, just up the road a bit. Stupidly, we used to go to "the springs" to party. Nice to see Pike's Peak and remember well driving up to "top of the world". No doubt about it - Colorado has some beautiful scenery.

Like Trinidad better than the Spring but that is only a tourist's reaction.
Trinidad, small town, clannish, small town corruption, severely limited amenities and imploding...... Nope, after living in the DC Metro area for so long we like the amenities big city life has to offer and the Springs rush hour traffic is a joke compared to what we're used to even though the Springs is not a "big city", heck even Denver traffic has nothing on DC.

View attachment 32915

Beautiful location. :thup:

This what we wake up to every day:

trinover-7.jpeg

We are working on getting back up to Colorado Springs though, no more Podunk towns for us. This is the view we want to wake up to every day:
1-pikes-peak-and-garden-of-the-gods-jon-holiday.jpg

I'm originally from that neck of the woods. Went to high school in Castle Rock, just up the road a bit. Stupidly, we used to go to "the springs" to party. Nice to see Pike's Peak and remember well driving up to "top of the world". No doubt about it - Colorado has some beautiful scenery.
I was born in Colorado Springs....so we know goods thing come for there :lol:

Really, all I remember is snow.

View attachment 32915

Great view! Thanks.
Everything is still green here and smells like peanuts.

Yes peanuts. You see, there's a 350 acre peanut farm bordering my property and the peanuts have been turned over and are drying out a bit before the combines come out and pick them up. Looks (and smells) like a good crop this year. Net/acre should be right about $1,000/acre.

I've never heard of that before - smelling peanuts. I remember reading something like - that we have only one strain of peanuts left in the world and that if some sort of plague were to hit it, we would lose them forever.

If you've ever been to Hershey, Pennsylvania, the smell of chocolate permeates everything.

ooo ooo - speaking of things we are losing, WE HAVE BEES!!!!!!!!!!

We keep a hive at our other house. We thought the bees were all gone because we didn't see any for several years. Then, last year, we saw a few, fed them before the winter and this year, we have a very active hive.

We're planning to sell that house and have talked about moving the hive here to the lake but we're afraid to disturb a good thing. Since a new buyer might not be thrilled to have a hive in their yard, we may give it to the guy who does our yard work there. He'd be a great bee parent and we know he'd take good care of them. And, the bees might do better if they stayed in the area.

Right now, we're just thrilled to have an active bee hive.

Forum List

Back