USMB Coffee Shop IV

Good morning, Foxy. Ooops good afternoon CDT and more east folks.
After 3" of rain with twister warnings (none here) the temps fell like a stone. 65 at 10 when I woke up. I can see 2 clouds from the gazebo the rest of the sky is that deep blue that makes you want to take the day off.

The poker gods were kind last night. I placed in both tournaments and netted about a hundred bucks. I actually made a straight flush out of a 9 of hearts and deuce of spades.

The most frustrating thing to me is in Texas Holdem is to be holding say a six of hearts and a deuce of clubs and of course I fold on the first round of betting. And it is uncanny how often I then sit there and watch the winning hand come up if I had held that six and deuce. I just figure it is the powers that be reminding me that gambling is a sin or some such. :)
Ya know, I have won a lot of hands with an unsuited 6/2, but only when I was in the blind. We talk about that all the time and the answer is always, "And I'll fold that hand the next time too. While any 2 cards can win, Odds are that pocket aces will beat 6 deuce 90% of the time.

I have a hand that I will almost always call with pre flop. That's a 7/4 I may even call a modest raise if they are suited. It's uncanny how often I will flop straights, trips or 2 pair with it. My usually poker folks have even named the hand "Ernest Borgnine" (Borgnine's PT boat in McHale's Nave was PT 73. Close enough I guess.)

I don't think gambling is a sin. It may be a vice, even an addiction in some people. I don't bet scared money. I don't spend my last dime to try to win back my losses. I see when it's just not my day and I stand up and walk away.
I do play 3 or 4 times per week, but it's part of the business I'm in.

Well of course I was joking about gambling being a sin though like anything else, I think it is for some people that it affects badly. It's like Krispy Kreme doughnuts. Some of ya'll can enjoy them in moderation. Some of us can't. :) Interesting about the 7/4 combo though. I'll have to try that one.
The Krispy Kreme analogy is hilarious! I put out a couple dozen Krispy Kremes for poker snacks on Monday and Saturday. Wednesday is cookie day. Occasionally, I'll have pizza delivered.
I've never had one of those great doughnuts I have long heard about. I wonder if they are as good as Spudnuts, which are made from potato flour. They are so good, especially right out of the fat vat.....but what isn't?? :lol:

A lot of groups raise money by selling Krispy Kreme donuts up here. Problem is, they ship them up from the Lower 48 and by the time they get sold, they're soggy and not very good. But people flock to buy them, for their reputation, I guess.

Stopping by to say "Hi!"
Not much going on here in the "frozen" North. Getting ready to go horizontal for a few hours before starting my work week. After the ordeal one goes through around 8 am (to get to the University for my classes), I am affirmed in my desire to work grave shift. The traffic is abominable! Not to mention the powers-that-be have decided to begin building a new bridge across Eagle River...this late in the season? Really? That means traffic will be buggered all winter, and in one of the worst stretches of road for accidents. Ah, well...
Check back later. Y'all have a good night.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Well it has been a long eventful day. Good to see old friends popping to say hi, and new friends coming in too. Spoonie, your photos are gorgeous as always. We just aren't getting the great fall color here we always hope for but oh well.....next year.

Now need to find a pillow to rest my weary head and hope the Dr. Pepper I drank a little while ago didn't have enough caffeine to keep me awake.

Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Sunshine,
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Sheila’s friend Shirley,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, and Sheila's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
BDBoop, her sis, and family,
Hombre,
Pix,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Sheila and son Andrew,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj and Nana,
Sheila's sore foot post surgery healing,
Complete healing for Mrs. Ringel and the Ringels in difficult transition,
Pogo's aunt,
Derideo_te for comfort and healing,
Sarah G for comfort and healing,
Ollie and Mrs. O for a complete recovery,
Mrs. Hossfly (Liz) and Hossfly,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
Safe travels for those traveling,
All who are dealing with colds and flu,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Oddball, Sunshine, Jughead, Sheila, and Becki and all the others who have been MIA lately. We hope everyone is okay.

img_0322.png

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

• Thanks
Reactions: Ava
Well... I didn't quite FINISH, finish the truck. Could I put the wheels on it and actually back it out of the shop? Yes, but, there's a couple small details left. Need to move the lower shock mount on the passenger side for one. I forgot about that. I replaced that control arm so I can't put the shock on until I move that mount. Has to be repositioned because of the lift, and then the shocks have to go in upside down. Need a couple new bolts here and there too but, the suspension is basically done. I'll never tear apart an independent front suspension on a 4 wheel drive again. Too much work, too many parts.

The most frustrating thing to me is in Texas Holdem is to be holding say a six of hearts and a deuce of clubs and of course I fold on the first round of betting. And it is uncanny how often I then sit there and watch the winning hand come up if I had held that six and deuce. I just figure it is the powers that be reminding me that gambling is a sin or some such. :)
Ya know, I have won a lot of hands with an unsuited 6/2, but only when I was in the blind. We talk about that all the time and the answer is always, "And I'll fold that hand the next time too. While any 2 cards can win, Odds are that pocket aces will beat 6 deuce 90% of the time.

I have a hand that I will almost always call with pre flop. That's a 7/4 I may even call a modest raise if they are suited. It's uncanny how often I will flop straights, trips or 2 pair with it. My usually poker folks have even named the hand "Ernest Borgnine" (Borgnine's PT boat in McHale's Nave was PT 73. Close enough I guess.)

I don't think gambling is a sin. It may be a vice, even an addiction in some people. I don't bet scared money. I don't spend my last dime to try to win back my losses. I see when it's just not my day and I stand up and walk away.

Well of course I was joking about gambling being a sin though like anything else, I think it is for some people that it affects badly. It's like Krispy Kreme doughnuts. Some of ya'll can enjoy them in moderation. Some of us can't. :) Interesting about the 7/4 combo though. I'll have to try that one.
The Krispy Kreme analogy is hilarious! I put out a couple dozen Krispy Kremes for poker snacks on Monday and Saturday. Wednesday is cookie day. Occasionally, I'll have pizza delivered.
I've never had one of those great doughnuts I have long heard about. I wonder if they are as good as Spudnuts, which are made from potato flour. They are so good, especially right out of the fat vat.....but what isn't?? :lol:

A lot of groups raise money by selling Krispy Kreme donuts up here. Problem is, they ship them up from the Lower 48 and by the time they get sold, they're soggy and not very good. But people flock to buy them, for their reputation, I guess.
They overextended to this area about 10 years ago...they were good if you got them warm and fresh....otherwise, ugh.

So no work today. Buddy had to run somewhere to get power restored to somebody, doesn't know how long it will take. Kind of a relief. The back is a little sore after being worked on yesterday so a day off sounds good. Maybe I'll work on the truck later.

Good morning, Foxy. Ooops good afternoon CDT and more east folks.
After 3" of rain with twister warnings (none here) the temps fell like a stone. 65 at 10 when I woke up. I can see 2 clouds from the gazebo the rest of the sky is that deep blue that makes you want to take the day off.

The poker gods were kind last night. I placed in both tournaments and netted about a hundred bucks. I actually made a straight flush out of a 9 of hearts and deuce of spades.

I've had them and they're really good but I just like fresh baked goods from a lot of places. I really like the cake doughnuts or cinnamon rolls. More than one will make me kind of sick but I do enjoy them now and then.

Good morning everybody. Up earlier than usual today--last day our daughter will be with us as tomorrow she pushes on to California.

Was watching our favorite weather guy last night who says they are predicting a good El Nino this winter that could extend well into next spring and, if it materializes as they hope, could bring some desperately needed moisture to the parched west including above average snowpack for us in New Mexico. I can't tell ya'll how wonderful that would be after all these years of exceptional drought.

But hope everybody is having a good day. Good to see that Bodecea stopped by this morning. It has been awhile since you've been here. And yeah, I would think old Krispy Kremes would not be that appealing unless maybe they were split and toasted? I love doughnuts that way too. Not a problem around here as the bakery is within easy driving distance and when they arrive they are snarfed down right away.

It got down to 49 here overnight but up to 66 already, though it's still 60 in the house. It's my day off
As usual, I'm out in the gazebo with the laptop and camera. I had been out here for maybe 5 minutes when a hummingbird visited the feeder. Dead batteries in the camera, Then I went to check the weather and my mouse died as well. I am now out of AAA's and AA's, but both the camera and mouse are resurrected.

Forum List

Back