USMB Coffee Shop IV

Good morning everybody. Just finishing up on those chores I wanted to get done on Friday. Later will do a veggie casserole to take to the luncheon. Looking forward to daughter arriving this afternoon. A chilly 37 degrees at our house today but 70's are the forecasted highs all week. Looking at the radar there is no precipitation anywhere closer to us than Oregon and Missouri, both several states away. Sure looks like ya'll in the eastern Midwest and east are getting it though. Enjoy.
Good morning, Foxy. Ooops good afternoon CDT and more east folks.
After 3" of rain with twister warnings (none here) the temps fell like a stone. 65 at 10 when I woke up. I can see 2 clouds from the gazebo the rest of the sky is that deep blue that makes you want to take the day off.

The poker gods were kind last night. I placed in both tournaments and netted about a hundred bucks. I actually made a straight flush out of a 9 of hearts and deuce of spades.

The most frustrating thing to me is in Texas Holdem is to be holding say a six of hearts and a deuce of clubs and of course I fold on the first round of betting. And it is uncanny how often I then sit there and watch the winning hand come up if I had held that six and deuce. I just figure it is the powers that be reminding me that gambling is a sin or some such. :)
Ya know, I have won a lot of hands with an unsuited 6/2, but only when I was in the blind. We talk about that all the time and the answer is always, "And I'll fold that hand the next time too. While any 2 cards can win, Odds are that pocket aces will beat 6 deuce 90% of the time.

I have a hand that I will almost always call with pre flop. That's a 7/4 I may even call a modest raise if they are suited. It's uncanny how often I will flop straights, trips or 2 pair with it. My usually poker folks have even named the hand "Ernest Borgnine" (Borgnine's PT boat in McHale's Nave was PT 73. Close enough I guess.)

I don't think gambling is a sin. It may be a vice, even an addiction in some people. I don't bet scared money. I don't spend my last dime to try to win back my losses. I see when it's just not my day and I stand up and walk away.
I do play 3 or 4 times per week, but it's part of the business I'm in.

Well of course I was joking about gambling being a sin though like anything else, I think it is for some people that it affects badly. It's like Krispy Kreme doughnuts. Some of ya'll can enjoy them in moderation. Some of us can't. :) Interesting about the 7/4 combo though. I'll have to try that one.
The Krispy Kreme analogy is hilarious! I put out a couple dozen Krispy Kremes for poker snacks on Monday and Saturday. Wednesday is cookie day. Occasionally, I'll have pizza delivered.

• Thanks
Reactions: Ava
Good morning all. Been to the park and back. Have a good day.
Wow...early bird today?? :lol:

I like the fact that it is still dark in the mornings, around 7, as I seem to sleep better and later. ( which gives me less time to play on here, though )....oh well...

Thunderstorms forecast for today, then the rest of the week....rain or showers. :D

Good morning everybody. Just finishing up on those chores I wanted to get done on Friday. Later will do a veggie casserole to take to the luncheon. Looking forward to daughter arriving this afternoon. A chilly 37 degrees at our house today but 70's are the forecasted highs all week. Looking at the radar there is no precipitation anywhere closer to us than Oregon and Missouri, both several states away. Sure looks like ya'll in the eastern Midwest and east are getting it though. Enjoy.
After 3" of rain with twister warnings (none here) the temps fell like a stone. 65 at 10 when I woke up. I can see 2 clouds from the gazebo the rest of the sky is that deep blue that makes you want to take the day off.

The poker gods were kind last night. I placed in both tournaments and netted about a hundred bucks. I actually made a straight flush out of a 9 of hearts and deuce of spades.

The most frustrating thing to me is in Texas Holdem is to be holding say a six of hearts and a deuce of clubs and of course I fold on the first round of betting. And it is uncanny how often I then sit there and watch the winning hand come up if I had held that six and deuce. I just figure it is the powers that be reminding me that gambling is a sin or some such. :)
Ya know, I have won a lot of hands with an unsuited 6/2, but only when I was in the blind. We talk about that all the time and the answer is always, "And I'll fold that hand the next time too. While any 2 cards can win, Odds are that pocket aces will beat 6 deuce 90% of the time.

I have a hand that I will almost always call with pre flop. That's a 7/4 I may even call a modest raise if they are suited. It's uncanny how often I will flop straights, trips or 2 pair with it. My usually poker folks have even named the hand "Ernest Borgnine" (Borgnine's PT boat in McHale's Nave was PT 73. Close enough I guess.)

I don't think gambling is a sin. It may be a vice, even an addiction in some people. I don't bet scared money. I don't spend my last dime to try to win back my losses. I see when it's just not my day and I stand up and walk away.

Well of course I was joking about gambling being a sin though like anything else, I think it is for some people that it affects badly. It's like Krispy Kreme doughnuts. Some of ya'll can enjoy them in moderation. Some of us can't. :) Interesting about the 7/4 combo though. I'll have to try that one.
The Krispy Kreme analogy is hilarious! I put out a couple dozen Krispy Kremes for poker snacks on Monday and Saturday. Wednesday is cookie day. Occasionally, I'll have pizza delivered.
I've never had one of those great doughnuts I have long heard about. I wonder if they are as good as Spudnuts, which are made from potato flour. They are so good, especially right out of the fat vat.....but what isn't?? :lol:

Not a cloud in the deepest blue sky you've ever seen! 68 degrees with a slight breeze, and me in my robe out in the gazebo. The humming bird finally found the feeder we put out. Hopefully, he'll spread the word and I'll get pictures.

Got a call from my oldest boy this morning. He's in the process of booking a flight down here for a 5 day visit. I might get some new ink.

This is some of his work.

251875_10151207856793677_623028575_n.jpg

I've never had one of those great doughnuts I have long heard about. I wonder if they are as good as Spudnuts, which are made from potato flour. They are so good, especially right out of the fat vat.....but what isn't?? :lol:

Never had a Spudnut, but Krispy Kremes are far better than Dunkin Donuts, for sure. They have a neon sign they turn on when they are making fresh donuts. Monday evening I returned to Doc's with 2 dozen that were still hot. Made the pick-up smell sooooo good!

Back from physical therapy, feeling pretty good, UPS dropped off my latest Summit Racing order and I have parts in hand to finish the front end restoration and upgrade project on my GMC. So I'm headed for the shop, and when I emerge, the truck will be sitting on all four tires, no longer on jacks. It will be ready for the alignment rack... two and a half years of work will finally be done.

Am I bit excited to back that bad boy out of the shop? Oh you fuckin' A I am... :lol:

Guess what, I went to a friends funeral today and I had to travel 12 miles, only to discover the funeral is tomorrow. I must have misheard my sister over the phone. She said the sixteenth of October and I thought she said the fifteenth. Oh well, at least I found out where to go tomorrow.

Rain, rain, rain, rain, rain... Getting a little bit tired of all the rain. However, I am thankful that it is not snow.

It hardly rained at all during September in England, but since the start of October it has rained pretty well every day. I am expecting that we will soon have reports of flooding.
By the way is anyone using Windows 7 ? Because it downloaded 17 updates today and then I could not connect to the Internet. I had to get Microsoft fix it file before it would work. I have had this problem before with updates, but not as bad as this time. Usually the trouble shooter fixes it.

Rain, rain, rain, rain, rain... Getting a little bit tired of all the rain. However, I am thankful that it is not snow.

It hardly rained at all during September in England, but since the start of October it has rained pretty well every day. I am expecting that we will soon have reports of flooding.
By the way is anyone using Windows 7 ? Because it downloaded 17 updates today and then I could not connect to the Internet. I had to get Microsoft fix it file before it would work. I have had this problem before with updates, but not as bad as this time. Usually the trouble shooter fixes it.

I haven't had that particular problem with Windows 7 but I have had to deal with a large amount of updates if I haven't had that computer on for several days--it doesn't seem to update automatically like my PC does.

57 degrees, chilly wind, grey running skies, going to be in the low forties or high thirties tonight.
Sounds like home to me. That's how it's been here the past few days. Not my favorite weather, I'll grant.
I remember the first gray August in Fairbanks. It was chilly at nigh, and I think we had snow the first week. The river froze by the second half of October. Then it got cold. For five months.
It hasn't gotten cold, yet. The ground a still mushy and the temps have been in the mid 40's this week and Mon-Tue were glorious golden and blue. Even the mountain was "out", Denali (Mt. McKinley) was visible. Of course, I go back to work tonight, I can count on either rain or a cold wind.

I got a new trinket this past weekend. It's a bit different than some of the other things I've collected in the past, but it just called to me.
It is an appliqué that an Ottoman Empire military officer would wear to display his status as an officer. It is made of bronze and was gold plated. Most of the gold is gone, but some bits still remain. It's 1.5 inches across. From the 1600's.

Attachments

• Ottoman Officer Emblem.GIF
    Ottoman Officer Emblem.GIF
    212.7 KB · Views: 68

Forum List

Back