USMB Coffee Shop IV

My favorite is a hot german potato salad that I pretty well wing it but is pretty much this:

Boil 3 or 4 medium potatoes in salted water about 15 minutes or so to medium firm stage. Slice fairly thinly.

Brown 3 or 4 slices bacon to crumble stage and crumble them. Reserve bacon fat in the skillet.

Add roughly a tablespoon of flour, 2 or so tablespoons sugar, about a third cup of water and a fourth cup white or apple cider vinegar to the bacon fat in the skillet - stir and simmer until thickened.

Add crumbled bacon, potato slices and chopped green onions to skillet and stir until coated and heated through. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm.

I would substitute turkey for the bacon :eusa_whistle::eusa_whistle:

But it sounds good.

The funny part is: most of the Germans I know like their Kartoffelsalat cold.

Curious to know what @bloockrock44 and [MENTION=15726]Hossfly[/MENTION] remember from their days in the land of Beer, Bread, Bratwursts and Broads. :D
Mein alt Frau is the best German cook alive. I eat like a Burgermeister all the time. Jul 15-Aug 15 we will be in Bavaria and I'll gain 15 pounds. Can't wait. As for Kartoffel salat, nobody makes it better than Bavarians.

Ich wohnte semmtliche Jahre in Muenchen. Manchmal, wuensche ich, ich waere nochmal dort.

Howdy, and good afternoon!
I got the cat confinement facility fully installed. Went down to milk goats, came back, and Sherman was sitting under the pick-up...outside the "cage". I located a few more holes and covered them up. It's pretty amazing the tiny spaces that cat can squeeze himself through.
So much left to do, so little time...the girls will be her Sunday night!

I would substitute turkey for the bacon :eusa_whistle::eusa_whistle:

But it sounds good.

The funny part is: most of the Germans I know like their Kartoffelsalat cold.

Curious to know what @bloockrock44 and [MENTION=15726]Hossfly[/MENTION] remember from their days in the land of Beer, Bread, Bratwursts and Broads. :D
Mein alt Frau is the best German cook alive. I eat like a Burgermeister all the time. Jul 15-Aug 15 we will be in Bavaria and I'll gain 15 pounds. Can't wait. As for Kartoffel salat, nobody makes it better than Bavarians.

Ich wohnte semmtliche Jahre in Muenchen. Manchmal, wuensche ich, ich waere nochmal dort.
Munich is a great city. Lived there 2 years.

article-0-196038FD00000578-620_634x389.jpg

I like Swedish potato salad for a change of pace. It uses sour cream instead of mayo, or a combo of the two, along with dill. I find it a bit more refreshing than a traditional potato salad.

I love traditional potato salad but I also love dill and sour cream. I'll have to try that one.

Well, Thursday night is over. Well, almost. The class I would attend is over, so that makes me happy but it hurts not being there. :(

:smiliehug:

The good thing about bad times like this is once its over, it's easy to forget. You'll be back in action soon and ready to take on the world! You're young and strong. My son is going through the same thing, but he's not active like you are and had no ill side effects.

Two more days of no class to go and I should be okay. I am surprised that my body is not yet screaming at me to do some exercise. Obviously its taking its sweet time recovering!

A small milestone this morning - my first solid food since the op. A piece of toast with honey and a warm cup of tea. Feels good to actually be able to eat some normal food again, even if I can only chew on one side of my mouth. Its a start!

I haven't been around much today but we got a lot moved. It looks like we'll be in tomorrow. I've been dreading this day but the weather was outstanding. 70 and low humidity. The cable guy came and that is all setup so all we have to do is hook everything up.

I think I'm off to bed as well.

:) Have a good night.

Busy week! I took the day off but, for the most part, was dealing with the mundane day to day errands. Returned the new weed whacker that needed only a carburetor adjustment when I found that Husqvarna uses special screws so only "trained service professionals" can make adjustments. Damn! I've used and maintained 2 cycle engines for better than 50 years but somehow I'm not qualified to adjust my own carb?

Picked up more of those $8 Edison light bulbs for the Mason jar lights at the bar, unnecessarily replaced a circuit breaker here at the house because a squirrel ate through the Romex running under the deck to the gazebo, picked up the wife's meds and a couple tee-bones for supper.

Supper is done and I'm beat. I'll be glad to go back to work tomorrow so I can rest up.

Well, Thursday night is over. Well, almost. The class I would attend is over, so that makes me happy but it hurts not being there. :(

:smiliehug:

The good thing about bad times like this is once its over, it's easy to forget. You'll be back in action soon and ready to take on the world! You're young and strong. My son is going through the same thing, but he's not active like you are and had no ill side effects.

Two more days of no class to go and I should be okay. I am surprised that my body is not yet screaming at me to do some exercise. Obviously its taking its sweet time recovering!

A small milestone this morning - my first solid food since the op. A piece of toast with honey and a warm cup of tea. Feels good to actually be able to eat some normal food again, even if I can only chew on one side of my mouth. Its a start!

I bet that tasted really good...after not eating for some time. Hope you start feeling a lot better soon, Noomi.

Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for
Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Marg’s mom,
Sunshine,
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Blackhawk’s mom,
Newby's mom,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Sheila’s sore foot and friend Shirley,
Meister and his mom,
Testarosa
Drake's injured friend,
PixieStix's sister,
Hollie's stepdad,
Coyote's father-in-law,
Spoonie, Ringel, Sheila, and 007's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
BDBoop, her sis, and family,
Hombre,
Avg-Joe & furry companion Boo
Pix,
Becki!!! and Becki’s hubby,
Smilebong for his brother-in-law and family,
Ernie and his friend Royce's family, especially Alisha, as they prepare for the final goodbye,
Sheila and Andrew,
Noomi's post surgery healing.
Noomi’s Auntie Marj and Nana and cousin,
Ollie's daughter Angie,
Mertex as she prepares for the final goodbye for her friend,
Ringel and his family in transition and Mrs. Ringel's impending surgery,
Grandma and family dealing with death of extended family member,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
All who are dealing with colds and flu,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Bigfoot, Oddball, and Sunshine.

candle.gif

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

My dad cooked an awesome casserole for us tonight. He chucked in a heap of spices and some french onion soup and it actually tasted so freaking good I went back for seconds. Sooo good to be able to begin to eat solids again. My tummy is nice and full. :)

Greetings, y'all!
Dreary, overcast morning here. We really needed this rain, though. It would be ironic if, after the beautiful weather we've been having, this rain kept up while my girls are here. I was hoping to get a few things done and spend some time outdoors with them.

Greetings, y'all!
Dreary, overcast morning here. We really needed this rain, though. It would be ironic if, after the beautiful weather we've been having, this rain kept up while my girls are here. I was hoping to get a few things done and spend some time outdoors with them.

They might be girls, GW, and made of sugar and spice but I can promise you that they won't melt in the rain! :D

Forum List

Back