USMB Coffee Shop IV

After a week of heavy snow and cripplingly cold temperatures, we finally made it to the park for a walk yesterday. Daisy the Mutt took full advantage, running headlong into the plowed snow at the edge of the roads only to emerge caked in snow. Walking a miniature poodle in the snow is like dragging a Q-Tip through the snow. Gobs of the stuff the size of golf balls clung to her curly fur. Snow packed its way across every crevasse on her thirteen pound frame. And she enjoyed it thoroughly. All I could see was two dark eyes, a black tip of her nose and a pink tongue hanging from her smiling mouth.

When we got back in the car, she began chewing the snow off of herself the way a four year old eats an ice cream cone, with intensity and no regard for drips.

So, I consider her cleaned by frolic and frozen water. Tonight is dinner at Mom's. The whole family will be there. She is serving roast beef. Mom does not like meat. Not that she's a vegetarian, but the taste of beef or pork or mutton just turns her off. Consequently, she over cooks every cut of meat that comes across her threshold. All flavor, all juices and any semblance to tenderness must be eradicated by force of heat. I was in college when I discovered that roast beef actually has a flavor. I always used a vat of Worchestershire sauce to impart some taste to Mom's roast beef.

And so, the tradition continues tonight.

Woke up to find out that it is Thursday! Funny because it seems like just yesterday it was Wednesday. Mrs. BBD is going to go over to the neighbor's house and quilt all day. I'm going to the computer fix it up place to pick up my desktop Mac and mostly just laze around. Not much happening today. Maybe I will have another cup of coffee and consult with Taco to see how we can best waste the hours of this day. I saw the photo of the Gov's Palace in Williamsburg somebody had posted and suggested it was a man cave. Got a chuckle out of it.

When life hands you dry meat, make a jerky? Trying for a lemon/lemonade thing there, but not sure you can put meat in the sentence and be free from some perv comments. :)

When life hands you dry meat, make a jerky? Trying for a lemon/lemonade thing there, but not sure you can put meat in the sentence and be free from some perv comments. :)
Mom and Pop never bought the most tender cuts of meat available. Mom just figured that roasting anything for hours and hours would not only rid the meat of any contaminates (she still rails against pork as if trichinosis is in every forkful) but might, by sheer force of will and heat, make it tender. Her roast beef is like eating beef flavored dental floss.

After a week of heavy snow and cripplingly cold temperatures, we finally made it to the park for a walk yesterday. Daisy the Mutt took full advantage, running headlong into the plowed snow at the edge of the roads only to emerge caked in snow. Walking a miniature poodle in the snow is like dragging a Q-Tip through the snow. Gobs of the stuff the size of golf balls clung to her curly fur. Snow packed its way across every crevasse on her thirteen pound frame. And she enjoyed it thoroughly. All I could see was two dark eyes, a black tip of her nose and a pink tongue hanging from her smiling mouth.

When we got back in the car, she began chewing the snow off of herself the way a four year old eats an ice cream cone, with intensity and no regard for drips.

So, I consider her cleaned by frolic and frozen water. Tonight is dinner at Mom's. The whole family will be there. She is serving roast beef. Mom does not like meat. Not that she's a vegetarian, but the taste of beef or pork or mutton just turns her off. Consequently, she over cooks every cut of meat that comes across her threshold. All flavor, all juices and any semblance to tenderness must be eradicated by force of heat. I was in college when I discovered that roast beef actually has a flavor. I always used a vat of Worchestershire sauce to impart some taste to Mom's roast beef.

Tonight I am the mom everyone will be joining for dinner :)

My sons birthday today and a standing rib roast is on the menu. I love a house full of everyone, makes me miss the old days when I was needed on a daily basis. Now I just show off I still cook the best and can afford the most. An abundance food is the way to celebrate in my world

We have a dinningroom table that is 4 feet wide and can be anywhere from 4 feet to 10 feet long. We still need a card table or two at Easter and Christmas.

Unfortunately we didn't think quite enough when we bought our house. The dining room can only fit 12. We've moved the larger gatherings to the the ping pong table in the family room....the carpet is a nightmare :lol:

The ex has a great room with the kitchen open from that. We do some things over there occassionally.

My house is a mess. Nothing really flows well, but it's unique and we just fell in love with it.

My sons birthday today and a standing rib roast is on the menu. I love a house full of everyone, makes me miss the old days when I was needed on a daily basis. Now I just show off I still cook the best and can afford the most. An abundance food is the way to celebrate in my world
Today is my birthday too. That's why Mom is cooking dinner. I asked for coffee and cake, but my sins will be punished on the dinner plate

Today is my birthday too. That's why Mom is cooking dinner. I asked for coffee and cake, but my sins will be punished on the dinner plate
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

123_Coffee_and_Cake__3rd_Image.jpg

I'm guessing you're a tad older than my son :) Food is all he ever asks for

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

123_Coffee_and_Cake__3rd_Image.jpg

I'm guessing you're a tad older than my son :) Food is all he ever asks for
I'm a tad older than most! Thank you!

I like just plain tea normally. I also really LOVE Chinese tea though. I put TONS of sugar in it. :D I've tried putting honey in as a substitute for sugar, but it's just not sugary enough for me. Tea with peanut butter toast. I like that for comfort food when I don't feel well.

Mrs. Liberty had tea and peanut butter toast for breakfast for years. Until she linked very dry itchy cracked bleeding hands in the winter to a peanut allergy.

Thankfully, I have no allergies that I'm aware of. If I was allergic to peanuts, I would be so bummed out!

My aunt is allergic to eggs. That tends to be a huge problem because so many things have eggs as an ingredient.
I made a pizza last night and added mushrooms, black olives, swiss cheese, salsa and then extra mozzarella, cooked on the Pizzazz. It was delicious.

I have no food allergies either. I'll eat just about anything but grits and rutabaga.

Good morning everybody. Our morning started off with a water leak at Uncle Ed and Aunt Betty's, so Hombre is up there now trying to take care of the initial emergency before he has to report for his volunteer job. And because their plumber can't get there until this afternoon, I will be taking Uncle Ed to his dental appointment early afternoon so Aunt Betty can wait for the plumber. Geez, it's always something but at least it isn't an urgent care or hospital run.

Forum List

Back