USMB Coffee Shop IV

I was just reading up on the latest ID theft scam. Has everybody still working received their W-2s? If not, you need to file a police report and request new ones from your employer. Apparently thieves are stealing them out of mailboxes and the W-2s give them all the information they need to file a tax return and grab a refund. And of course if the IRS smells a rat and conducts an audit, they won't be auditing the thieves. They'll be auditing you.

Oh I forgot to mention it, her Prius is in the shop, the coolant transfer tank was bad and the coolant flow valve (what Toyota uses as a thermostat) was stuck, add the O2 sensor and we're looking at around $2K in repairs. Probably won't have it ready for tomorrow so we'll have to take my truck......... Luckily gas is fairly cheap right now.......

Ouch. Makes us wish there was medical insurance for cars. Safe travels and the interview is in Albuquerque and not El Paso?

Hombre's Subaru Forrester is needing a timing belt assembly which will be just under $1k to put on and that is painful enough. But the damage would be so severe if it broke or came loose at high speeds, we don't dare put it off.
This week Albuquerque, next week El Paso. Actually there are "extended warranties", basically insurance for repair work, the cost and coverage depends on the age and condition of the vehicle. If the vehicle is older than 10 years with "X" number of miles they won't cover it but with any insurance the devil is in the details, what is covered and what isn't. A lot of dealers and many national mechanic chains offer maintenance coverage also, with some you pay up to half of what it would cost to do each one individually and guarantees them constant business. Besides if they find something wrong with the vehicle often the person will have the work done there since the vehicle is already at the shop getting an oil change, etc........

Last edited:
Car medical insurance is called an extended warranty.

What is that power cord by the door in peach's picture? Cats are concerned.

My shoulders were sore Monday after all the shoveling. Tuesday had no snow, but last night it started up again. Most were cleand up before work today.

Beware of wear and tear warranties, that is where most repairs happen and many warranties won't cover it. Things have to break. Never buy one that comes in the mail.

None of my Cats have ever been interested in any power cords or outlets.
They aren't like little kids, they know better. :)

When I got up this morning it was bright and sunny, the wife woke up a couple of hours later and asked where the called for rain and clouds were. As if right on schedule I looked outside just in time to see the wind pick up and fog move in in a matter of a minute. It's been flurrying off and on since.

Beware of wear and tear warranties, that is where most repairs happen and many warranties won't cover it. Things have to break. Never buy one that comes in the mail.
Pretty much why I don't have one, against my objections the wife bought one of those for her Prius, a few years ago it had to have some work done (forget what it was), no that wasn't covered....... Won't buy one again.

Pretty much why I don't have one, against my objections the wife bought one of those for her Prius, a few years ago it had to have some work done (forget what it was), no that wasn't covered....... Won't buy one again.

Yes, we do buy service warranties, if reasonable, on major appliances that frequently need repair work, such as our big screen HD TV. But we don't buy them on the cars just because they cover so little that is likely to break. Hombre's Forrester turns 10 years old this year, but still runs like a new one and has never needed major repairs of any kind--the basic Subaru periodic maintenance is expensive enough though. My Subaru Impreza Outback will turn 20 years old this year, still looks good, and also runs like a new one and has never needed major repairs. But we have kept it well maintained.

No snow in Foley.... 48 with rain moving in off the gulf. It's raining lightly right now, but it should get real wet here pretty soon. Maybe a couple inches before we're done today.
Interesting the different climates we all live in. Foxy gets about 9 and a half inches of rain per year and that same total is a not terribly unusual total for a single day here. The top 2 US cities with the highest annual rainfall totals are Mobile, AL and Pensacola, FL. Foley is about half way in between.

No snow in Foley.... 48 with rain moving in off the gulf. It's raining lightly right now, but it should get real wet here pretty soon. Maybe a couple inches before we're done today.
Interesting the different climates we all live in. Foxy gets about 9 and a half inches of rain per year and that same total is a not terribly unusual total for a single day here. The top 2 US cities with the highest annual rainfall totals are Mobile, AL and Pensacola, FL. Foley is about half way in between.

You get more rain than Seattle?

One of the other things I discovered a couple of years after buying the 04 Prius, the tires they designated to fit the car were too narrow for the weight so filling them to manufacturer's specifications (32psi) meant they only lasted a year, filling the tires to 42 psi front and 40 back meant the tires would now last three or more years. Learned that the hard way........

I've never had a cat mess with a cord either, except for the blinking Christmas tree lights, but I guess the temptation is just too much there. :D

Rabbits, on the other hand, LOVE to chew on cords. I have to hide all of my cords and I even made a contraption to hide my cords with a plastic tote lid and a couple of other things. :lol: He already ruined one mouse on me, but I outsmarted him and got myself a cordless mouse.

Since we were just talking about him, apparently Superman is getting a new power and a bit of a new look for his suit :
COMICS New Power New Costume More Big Reveals From SUPERMAN 38

And a new job.
He quit the daily planet.
BBC News - Superman Clark Kent quits reporting at the Daily Planet

Well the new duds aren't too extreme--he still looks supermanish--but a new job? Quitting in protest? I dunno. I never knew Superman to be political in any way, but I left the media as a career option for much the same reasons. But I can see Clark Kent as a blogger. :)

I've never had a cat mess with a cord either, except for the blinking Christmas tree lights, but I guess the temptation is just too much there. :D

Rabbits, on the other hand, LOVE to chew on cords. I have to hide all of my cords and I even made a contraption to hide my cords with a plastic tote lid and a couple of other things. :lol: He already ruined one mouse on me, but I outsmarted him and got myself a cordless mouse.
Our cats never bothered the cord. Neither have any of our dogs. We've had critter visitors though that I really had to watch because we hadn't 'electric proofed' the house for them.

I'm not sure if I'll get back here tonight dear ones, so I'm going to sign off a few hours early. Everybody have a good night, and let's all be up bright eyed and bushy tailed at the coffee bar in the morning.

Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Sunshine,
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Sheila’s friend Shirley,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, Hombre, and Sheila's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Sheila and son Andrew,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj,
Complete healing for Mrs. Ringel and the Ringels in difficult transition,
Ollie and Mrs. O,
GW's daughter's friend Sachendra,
Ernie's friend and colleague Max and Mrs. Ernie,
Boedicca's mom for healing and relief from pain,
Foxfyre's Aunt Betty,
Mrs. BBD's knee,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
Safe travels for those traveling,
All who are dealing with colds and flu,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Oddball, Sunshine, Jughead, Sheila, and Becki and all the others who have been MIA lately. We hope everyone is okay.

porch-light-4962220.jpg

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

Vacation is upon me.

Airline ticket was purchased about a month ago.
Car rental arranged about a week ago.
Work email shutdown a few hours ago.
Bag packed a few minutes ago.
I'm ready.

Visiting family in CA and going to an awesome tribal arts show in San Francisco.
Bonus, my twin brother is also flying into CA and I haven't seen him in almost two years. We arrive at SFO within minutes of each other and will be driving to our parents house together, we'll have a good solid hour + to get caught up with each other on the drive before the rest of the family sees us.

Forum List

Back