USMB Coffee Shop IV

Good morning everybody. Cooler and overcast this morning--low 30's--but the forecast is dry - dry - dry. They probably are getting a dusting on the mountain but nothing significant. Looks like everything in the mid section of the country from Arkansas east to the coast will be getting the worst of it today.

I'm feeling quite a bit better but not 100%. Have a meeting at 11 that won't take long. We got everything tidied up for the housecleaning crew who will arrive in an hour or so. Coffee is good this morning. Hope everybody is having a good Monday and will have a good week.

Thanks Foxy, and may your day go well, also. The last two days have been a whirlwind of fun and excitement for us. The weather was in the 70's and fun was had by all. This week's weather expected to be in the high 60's and sunny, too. Very uncommon for this time of year, but it seems when storms hit in the opposite end of the map, we have to have spring-like weather year-round much to my dismay for I love our marine climate and miss it. This is the second winter out of two, we have had spring-like weather and trees blooming beautiful pink blossoms while others become even more green and filled-in, in February.

I miss the soft rain and beautiful mist that hangs in the forest right outside my windows. Oh well, such a small deal, really and I shall not complain, considering.

Five degrees this morn.

Wanna swap?
Nope. 69 here.

Ugh, it looks as though our external hard drive is dying. I've been able to pull some of the stuff off it (it will connect at times, but is inconsistent) but it has more on it than I have free space on my pc's. I tried pulling it from the enclosure and plugging it into my pc, just to test if it might be a problem with the enclosure rather than the drive itself, but my pc wouldn't boot with it plugged in. I wasn't trying to boot to the external drive, just have it plugged in to look at the files while running through my normal drive. I got an error message about 4th master drive or something, so annoying.

I wonder if I should just buy a new internal HD and plug it into this enclosure? Maybe that's a cheaper alternative. I hate when HDs die! :mad:
Download and burn a bootable (ISO) copy of Mac Pup Linux (it runs on RAM), make sure your computer is set to boot from the optical drive first and your external is connected then boot with Mac Pup in the drive. When it's running it should see the external and what's on it, you can then pull as much off that HD as hasn't been corrupted and lost. Have a bunch of thumb drives ready.

I'll give it a shot when I've got a new storage device available, thanks.

Although I must admit to having no idea at all what Macpup does that allows it to boot with the external plugged in. :lol:
It doesn't need a hard drive, like the ancient DOS it runs off the disc media it's on using the system RAM. It doesn't matter what operating system is on your hard drive it can see all the files under Windows or Mac that are stored on the hard drive and allow the user to move those files to another storage device.

Good morning everybody. Cooler and overcast this morning--low 30's--but the forecast is dry - dry - dry. They probably are getting a dusting on the mountain but nothing significant. Looks like everything in the mid section of the country from Arkansas east to the coast will be getting the worst of it today.

I'm feeling quite a bit better but not 100%. Have a meeting at 11 that won't take long. We got everything tidied up for the housecleaning crew who will arrive in an hour or so. Coffee is good this morning. Hope everybody is having a good Monday and will have a good week.

Thanks Foxy, and may your day go well, also. The last two days have been a whirlwind of fun and excitement for us. The weather was in the 70's and fun was had by all. This week's weather expected to be in the high 60's and sunny, too. Very uncommon for this time of year, but it seems when storms hit in the opposite end of the map, we have to have spring-like weather year-round much to my dismay for I love our marine climate and miss it. This is the second winter out of two, we have had spring-like weather and trees blooming beautiful pink blossoms while others become even more green and filled-in, in February.

I miss the soft rain and beautiful mist that hangs in the forest right outside my windows. Oh well, such a small deal, really and I shall not complain, considering.

So lucky. :(

• Thanks
Reactions: Ava
Ugh, it looks as though our external hard drive is dying. I've been able to pull some of the stuff off it (it will connect at times, but is inconsistent) but it has more on it than I have free space on my pc's. I tried pulling it from the enclosure and plugging it into my pc, just to test if it might be a problem with the enclosure rather than the drive itself, but my pc wouldn't boot with it plugged in. I wasn't trying to boot to the external drive, just have it plugged in to look at the files while running through my normal drive. I got an error message about 4th master drive or something, so annoying.

I wonder if I should just buy a new internal HD and plug it into this enclosure? Maybe that's a cheaper alternative. I hate when HDs die! :mad:
Download and burn a bootable (ISO) copy of Mac Pup Linux (it runs on RAM), make sure your computer is set to boot from the optical drive first and your external is connected then boot with Mac Pup in the drive. When it's running it should see the external and what's on it, you can then pull as much off that HD as hasn't been corrupted and lost. Have a bunch of thumb drives ready.

Er . . . what? :D
Μήπως δεν μιλούν την Ελληνική γλώσσα

Ringel05 eliminated the Chinese writing I was getting for over a month, hanging around my tabs at the top of pages. He is one sharp guy worth listening to. :udaman:
Now I have a swelled head........ Ego, people, ego........ Get your minds out of the gutter. :D

:razz: yeah sure.

Ringel05 eliminated the Chinese writing I was getting for over a month, hanging around my tabs at the top of pages. He is one sharp guy worth listening to. :udaman:
Now I have a swelled head........ Ego, people, ego........ Get your minds out of the gutter. :D

:eusa_eh:
:lol:
BTW AA, it wasn't aimed at you. I was just going to post the first sentence and realized there were some here who would have fun with it, so I decided to have fun with it...... :D

Mmm-hmmm. :tongue:

It's snowing again, only one to three inches by this afternoon but it's also supposed to snow tonight. Right now it's too warm (33 degrees) for it to stick.

It's snowing again, only one to three inches by this afternoon but it's also supposed to snow tonight. Right now it's too warm (33 degrees) for it to stick.

And you live in Colorado? Wow! I thought you guys got lots of snow too. Maybe just in the more mountainous regions? For my job, I used to type for Vail Valley Hospital. :) LOTS of skiing injuries.

Even a small amount in an enclosed space gives me an instant headache, makes me irratable and wipes me out energy wise and there are people who are affected much worse than I am.

So . . . you want to ban perfume? :D
Personally I'd have no problem with banning it but that's just me...........
Did you know why people started using perfume? It was to cover up the body odors because people didn't bath as often.

Yes, in the Victorian days. I've read about that before. I don't know how sensitive you are to it, but I also get headaches from certain kinds of perfume. Other kinds are not as strong, so they don't bother me. The only kind of perfume I wear is Giorgio because, as long as you only use one or two squirts, you might not be able to smell it unless you were sniffing me. Lol.
In fairly open areas, unless someone bathed in perfume, it doesn't bother me, up close and personal...... No way.

Yeah, some people just wear way too much, and now we have that terrible smelling "Axe" cologne and body spray for men. Ugh. I hate the smell of that. I like the old Drakkar for men. That smells fantastic and it has a more mild smell.

Drakkar-Noir-Guy-Laroche-6.7-ounce-Eau-de-Toilette-Spray-for-Men-L10927913.jpg
That brings back some memories! I used to apply Drakkar Noir, in small amounts. I have a reaction to most perfumes and aftershaves that have an alcohol base. Perfumes with an oil base are easier to deal with. Makes me an expensive date, if you want to entice me with scent. Hoppes 9 is usually a safe bet, though!

So . . . you want to ban perfume? :D
Personally I'd have no problem with banning it but that's just me...........
Did you know why people started using perfume? It was to cover up the body odors because people didn't bath as often.

Yes, in the Victorian days. I've read about that before. I don't know how sensitive you are to it, but I also get headaches from certain kinds of perfume. Other kinds are not as strong, so they don't bother me. The only kind of perfume I wear is Giorgio because, as long as you only use one or two squirts, you might not be able to smell it unless you were sniffing me. Lol.
In fairly open areas, unless someone bathed in perfume, it doesn't bother me, up close and personal...... No way.

Yeah, some people just wear way too much, and now we have that terrible smelling "Axe" cologne and body spray for men. Ugh. I hate the smell of that. I like the old Drakkar for men. That smells fantastic and it has a more mild smell.

Drakkar-Noir-Guy-Laroche-6.7-ounce-Eau-de-Toilette-Spray-for-Men-L10927913.jpg
That brings back some memories! I used to apply Drakkar Noir, in small amounts. I have a reaction to most perfumes and aftershaves that have an alcohol base. Perfumes with an oil base are easier to deal with. Makes me an expensive date, if you want to entice me with scent. Hoppes 9 is usually a safe bet, though!

I love the scent of Drakkar. It's mild and clean smelling. You are probably right. It's probably the alcohol that is irritating to a lot of people.

That's all Greek to me!

First, the weather: it's 45 degrees here, trying to rain, too! We still have no significant snowfall, 6-8 inches, at best, a little more up at the country place (10-14" there). My partner had the truck washed yesterday. What a waste of money! It stayed clean for two blocks, maybe. With temps above freezing to the past two days, the roads are a mucky mess.
My "foster children" arrived yesterday. They seem like nice young people and were happy to have the help at the airport. They took a rain check for dinner, preferring to get checked into their temporary lodging and letting their dogs settle down a bit. The young lady observed how much my daughter resembles me in looks and mannerisms. My poor daughter!
I've been nursing some nasty cuts on both hands the past few days. Sherman, the terrorist cat, pulled one of his table-top skids, knocking a cup of coffee to the floor. I made an attempt to catch it before it fell, over-balanced, and landed hands first among the shards of cup and the pool of coffee. Although I bandaged the cuts, two particularly bad ones bled for almost two days! I woke up from my nap that evening with both hands caked in blood. I'm about ready to skin that cat, he's such a troublemaker.
Guess I'd better quit goofing off and finish grading papers. I have most of the assignments graded and ready to return to my students. I fully expect my "challenger" to quibble about his test grade, it's the nature of this particular beast, certainly.
Spaeter, CS fellow travelers!

And you live in Colorado? Wow! I thought you guys got lots of snow too. Maybe just in the more mountainous regions? For my job, I used to type for Vail Valley Hospital. :) LOTS of skiing injuries.
I'm in the foothills, south central Colorado and yes, the high mountains tend to get a lot of snow as do the eastern high plains and the Palmer Divide. Generally if the weather pattern is from the west or north we tend not to get much, the mountains and ridges are in the way, if it comes up from the south that's another matter as it's pulling in moisture off the pacific and drawing it in. Then we really get snow. It was like that in the DC region also.

Five degrees this morn.

Wanna swap?

Hey PC!!!! Always pleased when you stop by. :) But no, I don't wanna swap. I've lived in country when the temp finally made it up to zero for the first time in a week, we thought we were having a heat wave. I don't adjust to that as easily these days as I used to. :)

First, the weather: it's 45 degrees here, trying to rain, too! We still have no significant snowfall, 6-8 inches, at best, a little more up at the country place (10-14" there). My partner had the truck washed yesterday. What a waste of money! It stayed clean for two blocks, maybe. With temps above freezing to the past two days, the roads are a mucky mess.
My "foster children" arrived yesterday. They seem like nice young people and were happy to have the help at the airport. They took a rain check for dinner, preferring to get checked into their temporary lodging and letting their dogs settle down a bit. The young lady observed how much my daughter resembles me in looks and mannerisms. My poor daughter!
I've been nursing some nasty cuts on both hands the past few days. Sherman, the terrorist cat, pulled one of his table-top skids, knocking a cup of coffee to the floor. I made an attempt to catch it before it fell, over-balanced, and landed hands first among the shards of cup and the pool of coffee. Although I bandaged the cuts, two particularly bad ones bled for almost two days! I woke up from my nap that evening with both hands caked in blood. I'm about ready to skin that cat, he's such a troublemaker.
Guess I'd better quit goofing off and finish grading papers. I have most of the assignments graded and ready to return to my students. I fully expect my "challenger" to quibble about his test grade, it's the nature of this particular beast, certainly.
Spaeter, CS fellow travelers!

GW, get thee to the emergency room or urgent care and have those cuts professionally taken care of. You might need a stitch or two but certainly need a professional to make sure you don't have any glass shards in the wounds and to ensure you don't get an infection that you can't take care of yourself.

Although I must admit to having no idea at all what Macpup does that allows it to boot with the external plugged in. :lol:
It doesn't need a hard drive, like the ancient DOS it runs off the disc media it's on using the system RAM. It doesn't matter what operating system is on your hard drive it can see all the files under Windows or Mac that are stored on the hard drive and allow the user to move those files to another storage device.

Maybe what I really don't understand is why my usual HD won't boot when I plug in the wonky external. I get that it's dying, but why not just boot up the pc as usual and just not give me access to the external? I wouldn't think having a second HD go bad would prevent you from booting your main HD.....but apparently, I don't know what I'm talking about. :lol:

I'll see about getting a new drive sometime soon and have already downloaded the Macpup ISO in case I need it. :D

Later tonight the kitchen will smell like steak........ :eusa_whistle:

You're making me hungry with all your talk about bacon and steak. I'm going to have to log off and make myself something now. :D

I'm thawing out some steaks to make chicken fried steak and fried taters to serve with sweet potatoes and other veggies a bit later.
That's not steak, it course ground hamburger........ :D

I used to buy cube steak for chicken-fried steak. Mashed potatoes and milk gravy and home made coleslaw and biscuits. :thup:

Hey AA!!! LTNS. Glad you're back.

We do buy cube steaks when they're on sale because they're plentiful and cheap at the grocery store. One package will often provide a generous entre for the two of us for under $2.00. For real chicken fried steak though, I prefer tenderized round steak--more flavorful and it just works better. But I prepare the cube steaks with much the same seasoning and breading but we usually cut them into strips and make steak fingers out of them.

Or I do this with them (sometimes using mushroom soup or other combinations.)

Around 2 lbs of cube steaks (I have used less)
1 pkg brown gravy mix
1 pkg french onion soup mix
1 pkg au jus mix (I have omitted this without the recipe suffering greatly)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can of water

Dump it all in a slow cooker for 6 to 8 hours.

Serve with mashed potatoes and veggies. Yummy.

Maybe what I really don't understand is why my usual HD won't boot when I plug in the wonky external. I get that it's dying, but why not just boot up the pc as usual and just not give me access to the external? I wouldn't think having a second HD go bad would prevent you from booting your main HD.....but apparently, I don't know what I'm talking about. :lol:

I'll see about getting a new drive sometime soon and have already downloaded the Macpup ISO in case I need it. :D
It's looking at your backup HD for the operating system, since it's not there it just stops looking. It's probably a setting in the BIOs (Boot sequencer) where you have to go to make it look in your CD/DVD (optical drive) first. Seems strange that it would look on your backup HD for an operating system first unless the backup HD is telling the computer to look there.

Forum List

Back