USMB Coffee Shop IV

Morning
Happy Presidents Day !

I have to take my desktop in today.
I can't get it to turn on.
I'm using my laptop.
Maybe I need to get a new one.

Wonderful desktop computers with mega hard drive space and all the ram and power any normal person could ever need can be had for $300 or so or less. Sometimes that is the route to go instead of trying to keep an older model running once it starts giving you problems.

Morning
Happy Presidents Day !

I'm using my laptop.

Wonderful desktop computers with mega hard drive space and all the ram and power any normal person could ever need can be had for $300 or so or less. Sometimes that is the route to go instead of trying to keep an older model running once it starts giving you problems.

It's been my experience that once you have one problem, you will end up with more and more problems. I agree. Just get a new computer. It's too annoying to have to constantly mess around with it just to get it to work.

Ugh, it looks as though our external hard drive is dying. I've been able to pull some of the stuff off it (it will connect at times, but is inconsistent) but it has more on it than I have free space on my pc's. I tried pulling it from the enclosure and plugging it into my pc, just to test if it might be a problem with the enclosure rather than the drive itself, but my pc wouldn't boot with it plugged in. I wasn't trying to boot to the external drive, just have it plugged in to look at the files while running through my normal drive. I got an error message about 4th master drive or something, so annoying.

I wonder if I should just buy a new internal HD and plug it into this enclosure? Maybe that's a cheaper alternative. I hate when HDs die! :mad:
Download and burn a bootable (ISO) copy of Mac Pup Linux (it runs on RAM), make sure your computer is set to boot from the optical drive first and your external is connected then boot with Mac Pup in the drive. When it's running it should see the external and what's on it, you can then pull as much off that HD as hasn't been corrupted and lost. Have a bunch of thumb drives ready.

Er . . . what? :D

I have a desk top machine in the garage. I have not booted it in 5 years. The laptop I'm on now has more storage, more ram, faster processor (quad core) a 17.5 inch touch screen, it takes up 1/8 the space and uses 1/10 the electricity.

The power requirement alone is a pretty big deal. I'm not one to shut down a computer at night, in fact, I rarely reboot it. It has been running 20 days without reboot, it was 71 days the last time. I ran my other laptop 189 days one time.
A typical desktop costs about a buck to a buck and a half a day in electricity.

Ugh, it looks as though our external hard drive is dying. I've been able to pull some of the stuff off it (it will connect at times, but is inconsistent) but it has more on it than I have free space on my pc's. I tried pulling it from the enclosure and plugging it into my pc, just to test if it might be a problem with the enclosure rather than the drive itself, but my pc wouldn't boot with it plugged in. I wasn't trying to boot to the external drive, just have it plugged in to look at the files while running through my normal drive. I got an error message about 4th master drive or something, so annoying.

I wonder if I should just buy a new internal HD and plug it into this enclosure? Maybe that's a cheaper alternative. I hate when HDs die! :mad:
Download and burn a bootable (ISO) copy of Mac Pup Linux (it runs on RAM), make sure your computer is set to boot from the optical drive first and your external is connected then boot with Mac Pup in the drive. When it's running it should see the external and what's on it, you can then pull as much off that HD as hasn't been corrupted and lost. Have a bunch of thumb drives ready.

Μήπως δεν μιλούν την Ελληνική γλώσσα

• Thanks
Reactions: Ava

:dunno:

That doesn't help.

Morning
Happy Presidents Day !

I'm using my laptop.

Yes I know. I got hubby a 3 in1 last Sept. for his birthday for 400.00
Hubby took his and my Desktop to Sierra Vista this morning- his for routine check up and mine to see if it's dead or not. :)
He has to get a new office chair because he broke the old one last night.
They should have some real nice ones on sale for President's day.
I'm hoping that it's the wire to the power button, because I really like my compact little gateway desktop.
I shall see.

Good morning everybody. Cooler and overcast this morning--low 30's--but the forecast is dry - dry - dry. They probably are getting a dusting on the mountain but nothing significant. Looks like everything in the mid section of the country from Arkansas east to the coast will be getting the worst of it today.

I'm feeling quite a bit better but not 100%. Have a meeting at 11 that won't take long. We got everything tidied up for the housecleaning crew who will arrive in an hour or so. Coffee is good this morning. Hope everybody is having a good Monday and will have a good week.

Thanks Foxy, and may your day go well, also. The last two days have been a whirlwind of fun and excitement for us. The weather was in the 70's and fun was had by all. This week's weather expected to be in the high 60's and sunny, too. Very uncommon for this time of year, but it seems when storms hit in the opposite end of the map, we have to have spring-like weather year-round much to my dismay for I love our marine climate and miss it. This is the second winter out of two, we have had spring-like weather and trees blooming beautiful pink blossoms while others become even more green and filled-in, in February.

I miss the soft rain and beautiful mist that hangs in the forest right outside my windows. Oh well, such a small deal, really and I shall not complain, considering.

Last edited:

Ringel05 eliminated the Chinese writing I was getting for over a month, hanging around my tabs at the top of pages. He is one sharp guy worth listening to. :udaman:

Morning
Happy Presidents Day !

I'm using my laptop.

It's been my experience that once you have one problem, you will end up with more and more problems. I agree. Just get a new computer. It's too annoying to have to constantly mess around with it just to get it to work.

I'm not spending 400.00 or more dollars just for a wire that might be lose on the power button.
If it is a bigger problem though, I will get a new one. :)

Ringel05 eliminated the Chinese writing I was getting for over a month, hanging around my tabs at the top of pages. He is one sharp guy worth listening to. :udaman:
Now I have a swelled head........ Ego, people, ego........ Get your minds out of the gutter. :D

I have a desk top machine in the garage. I have not booted it in 5 years. The laptop I'm on now has more storage, more ram, faster processor (quad core) a 17.5 inch touch screen, it takes up 1/8 the space and uses 1/10 the electricity.

The power requirement alone is a pretty big deal. I'm not one to shut down a computer at night, in fact, I rarely reboot it. It has been running 20 days without reboot, it was 71 days the last time. I ran my other laptop 189 days one time.
A typical desktop costs about a buck to a buck and a half a day in electricity.

REALLY?!?!?!!?!? That much a day?? I'd better stick with my Toshiba Chromebook. They were 229.00 yesterday on Amazon. The 13.3 inch with HD screen and IPS panel. Nice. I think most major computer manufacturers are putting out their version of a Chromebook really cheap lately as ACER is coming to retail stores soon with a 15.6 inch screen Chromebook. Or is it 15.9? Anyway it is referenced as ACER 15. I DO love mine. I also love my W-7 desktop. I hear Windows is out now, or coming out soon with W-10?

Ugh, it looks as though our external hard drive is dying. I've been able to

pull some of the stuff off it (it will connect at times, but is inconsistent) but it has more on it than I have free space on my pc's. I tried pulling it from the enclosure and plugging it into my pc, just to test if it might be a problem with the enclosure rather than the drive itself, but my pc wouldn't boot with it plugged in. I wasn't trying to boot to the external drive, just have it plugged in to look at the files while running through my normal drive. I got an error message about 4th master drive or something, so annoying.

Now I have a swelled head........ Ego, people, ego........ Get your minds out of the gutter. :D

:eusa_eh:

Yea really. Your average desktop has a 500 watt power supply with high performance machines up to 750 watts or higher. They use close to maximum while you are active and maybe half of that when sitting with an animated screen saver running. I would guess they use about 150 watts while hibernating if you enable power saving mode so yeah a buck and a half a day is a conservative guess, depending on how much you actually use the computer.

• Thanks
Later tonight the kitchen will smell like steak........ :eusa_whistle:

You're making me hungry with all your talk about bacon and steak. I'm going to have to log off and make myself something now. :D

I'm thawing out some steaks to make chicken fried steak and fried taters to serve with sweet potatoes and other veggies a bit later.
That's not steak, it course ground hamburger........ :D

I used to buy cube steak for chicken-fried steak. Mashed potatoes and milk gravy and home made coleslaw and biscuits. :thup:

Good morning everybody. Cooler and overcast this morning--low 30's--but the forecast is dry - dry - dry. They probably are getting a dusting on the mountain but nothing significant. Looks like everything in the mid section of the country from Arkansas east to the coast will be getting the worst of it today.

I'm feeling quite a bit better but not 100%. Have a meeting at 11 that won't take long. We got everything tidied up for the housecleaning crew who will arrive in an hour or so. Coffee is good this morning. Hope everybody is having a good Monday and will have a good week.

Thanks Foxy, and may your day go well, also. The last two days have been a whirlwind of fun and excitement for us. The weather was in the 70's and fun was had by all. This week's weather expected to be in the high 60's and sunny, too. Very uncommon for this time of year, but it seems when storms hit in the opposite end of the map, we have to have spring-like weather year-round much to my dismay for I love our marine climate and miss it. This is the second winter out of two, we have had spring-like weather and trees blooming beautiful pink blossoms while others become even more green and filled-in, in February.

I miss the soft rain and beautiful mist that hangs in the forest right outside my windows. Oh well, such a small deal, really and I shall not complain, considering.

Five degrees this morn.

Wanna swap?

• Thanks

:eusa_eh:
:lol:
BTW AA, it wasn't aimed at you. I was just going to post the first sentence and realized there were some here who would have fun with it, so I decided to have fun with it...... :D

Last edited:
We were lucky, we only got 2 1/2 inches of snow, the problem was the first snow to fall turned to slush on the not yet frozen hard surfaces then froze last night. Now it's in the 30s and it's starting to melt. :thup:

I'll give it a shot when I've got a new storage device available, thanks.

Although I must admit to having no idea at all what Macpup does that allows it to boot with the external plugged in. :lol:

Forum List

Back