USMB Coffee Shop IV

I have found something else to fill up my days of retirement. There is a new film channel in England that started yesterday. It is called 'movies4men' and it is non stop action films. I watched it all day yesterday and saw several war films I had never seen before, and today it is all cowboy films.

I have found something else to fill up my days of retirement. There is a new film channel in England that started yesterday. It is called 'movies4men' and it is non stop action films. I watched it all day yesterday and saw several war films I had never seen before, and today it is all cowboy films.
One of the things I do is volunteer at national, state and city parks, historical sites. I do historical representations and help with things like maintaining their computer systems, minor maintenance, some woodworking (making old toys and other items they sell in their gift shops).
As an older reenactor I no longer do military representations, I do the old retired gentleman hanging out in the tavern relating past exploits in the field and the bed........ :eusa_whistle:

Didn't mention it but a few days ago I hopped in the wifes Prius, started it up and it started chugging...... Knew right away what it was. The Prius suffers from a minor malady, the throttle body/throttle plate will get "gunked up" causing the throttle plate to stick. Simply had to pull the air filter cover, spray the throttle body and plate with cleaner, scrub it with a nylon bristle pipe cleaner and it's almost like new again. I know all of this because I had to look it up (cause and fix) and do it a year and a half ago.

Is your Prius a hybrid Ringel? Are all Priuses hybrids? I'm unfamiliar with that particular beast. And is the malady you describe typical of the hybrid? The reason I ask is sooner or later Hombre and I will need a new vehicle and are still debating what to get. We've been driving Subarus since the 1980's, and they have served us as well as anybody could expect from any car. So is it time to change? And if gasoline goes back up to $4/gallon or thereabouts, do we want to go with a hybrid for our next vehicle?

Sunday-Night-Blues.jpg

It was so nice out today, like 45 degrees at least in the sun. I dragged my grill out of the snow (which took a lot of work - it was frozen after being buried in snow for so long). I cleaned it all up yesterday and reseasoned it, and I made hamburgers on the grill. :)

Been a couple of days since I posted here....
Max is doing well. Lori has managed to leave him at home since the surgery, but I have a feeling I'll see him at Doc's this afternoon. There's only so much stimulus to be had from video games. The rest of us are stepping up with extra hours and duties.
Even me! On Thursday (my day off), I opened at 1 and left about 3PM. I managed a short nap and a rib eye with baked potato before heading back with my "Security" shirt on. I stayed 'til 4 AM.
Now, to look at me, you wouldn't think I would be a good candidate for a bouncer. Hell I weigh in at 135.
But, I am actually quite good at negotiating peaceful solutions and if the defecation were to hit the whirling blades, there is always that barely perceptible bulge at my right hip.
Long night Friday too, but was out of there about 11 last night.
The bronchitis is a lot better. Not gone, but no fever and no 1/2 hour coughing fits waking up the wife at 4 AM. Nasty headache this morning, though.

Wait, are you trying to say that video games are not enough to keep someone occupied at home alone? I think you may have the wrong games! :D
I probably should have qualified that... Max requires reality and intellectual endeavors to be happy. He is not a gamer, but will occasionally play a game his kids, 10,8 and 4, play. Not a whole lot of intellectual stimulus for him in the Legend of Zelda or Super Mario.

Lori did convince him to stay home. When she left, he was fixing dinner for the kids, propped up on a stool with his crutches at the ready.

Is your Prius a hybrid Ringel? Are all Priuses hybrids? I'm unfamiliar with that particular beast. And is the malady you describe typical of the hybrid? The reason I ask is sooner or later Hombre and I will need a new vehicle and are still debating what to get. We've been driving Subarus since the 1980's, and they have served us as well as anybody could expect from any car. So is it time to change? And if gasoline goes back up to $4/gallon or thereabouts, do we want to go with a hybrid for our next vehicle?
The Prius is basically the first successful hybrid and the newer ones are much better with the hybrid technology. Ours is a 2004 and we didn't have this problem until 2013 so basically it's the older models and we've put quite a few miles on it.
So far we've haven't had to change out the original battery pack and I've had it tested every year since 2012, we did have to change out the water pump and we just had a problem that I think was related to the accident when we hit something on the highway but wasn't caught by the adjuster. Over all it's been a great car and with the hatchback and the fact the rear seats will lay flat means there's lots of room. Depending on how you drive will determine whether you get the mileage they claim, we get an average of about 48 miles per gallon but I have a bit of a lead foot with quick starts.

Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Sunshine,
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Sheila’s friend Shirley,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, Hombre, and Sheila's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Sheila and son Andrew,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Boedicca's mom for healing and relief from pain,
Mrs. BBD's knee,
Save and Mrs. L in adversity,
Chris in transition,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie and Colonel,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Ernie's friend and colleague Max,
Ernie for wellness, rest, and extra strength,
Those in the dangerous cold zones,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
Safe travels for those traveling,
All who are dealing with colds and flu,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Oddball, Sunshine, Jughead, Sheila, and Becki and all the others who have been MIA lately. We hope everyone is okay.

mica-lamp-company-sb40-storybook-tavern-outdoor-pendant-rust-powdercoat-.jpg

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

Wow... really early for Foxy to be signing off... :eusa_eh:

Anyway... here's a little something for those that might be a little computer challenged, gleaned from an email from Ma...

SENIORS & COMPUTERS
As we Silver Surfers know, sometimes we have trouble with our computers.
Yesterday, I had a problem, so I called Joe, the 11 year old next door, whose bedroom looks like Mission Control, and asked him to come over.
Joe clicked a couple of buttons and solved the problem.
As he was walking away, I called after him, 'So, what was wrong?
He replied, 'It was an ID ten T error’.
I didn't want to appear stupid, but nonetheless inquired, 'An, ID ten T error? What's that?....In case I need to fix it again.'
Joe grinned...'Haven't you ever heard of an ID ten T error before?
'No,' I replied.
'Write it down,' he said, 'and I think you'll figure it out.'
So I wrote down:

ID10T

I used to like Joe ...
If you're not a Senior yet, then send this to someone who is.
I work in IT and we use that term all the time.
Back in the late 70's when I worked for IBM repairing office products, I had one place that was filled with secretaries at desks hammering away on Selectrics. Once when I was there a gal thought she was cute and said to me, "this machine makes mistakes, can you do anything to fix that?" I replied, "no, that's usually caused by a lose nut on the keyboard." She didn't get it until I walked away... :lol:

It was so nice out today, like 45 degrees at least in the sun. I dragged my grill out of the snow (which took a lot of work - it was frozen after being buried in snow for so long). I cleaned it all up yesterday and reseasoned it, and I made hamburgers on the grill. :)
I gave my grill to my son last year. It wasn't all that nice of a grill, it was a walmart cheapie and was given to me, but it still cooked nice. But just in the last couple weeks I have been thinking it's time for a new grill. I've been wanting to grill something myself, Chris. I miss that flavor. It's been super nice here too, lots of snow melting. Maybe I'll go grill shopping today. I have a rebate certificate from Menards for $46 and change from the portable garage I bought. Maybe I'll use that towards a new grill.

I'm doing my happy dance this morning and as a result I keep spilling my coffee. The reason I am so happy is because I saw some Robins yesterday when I was driving into town and this morning I have seen Robins in my yard. When I see Robins I consider it the first day of spring. So, the long, cold winter has ended and it's spring!!! Our snow is beginning to melt and I hope to see it all gone before too much longer. Free coffee for everybody today in celebration of seeing Robins.

Good morning everybody. Another beautiful day here on the high desert. We didn't get nearly enough snowpack this winter - yet again - but I decided to quit fretting about that and accept something I can't change. It seems silly to not enjoy a beautiful day just because we aren't having needed 'bad weather'. :)

Hombre is sitting here dreading a dental appointment at noon. It's just a routine visit and cleaning. If that was all I was facing at the dentist I would be thrilled. My next visit will involve two root canals and crowns. :(

So far it has been an okay Monday. Hope everybody is looking forward to a good week. And I'm off to the kitchen for more coffee. . .

I am killing time, with some things to do on this day off and amongst them is trying to find the time to finish binging with the last 4 episodes and final season of The Fall. [NTFX] I have really enjoyed this two-season chiller. Taking place in Ireland and starring a fave of mine, Gillian Anderson, as the head detective searching for the serial killer. This is my favorite kind of suspense, a mood, character-driven, rather than special effects, type of production.

I'm doing my happy dance this morning and as a result I keep spilling my coffee. The reason I am so happy is because I saw some Robins yesterday when I was driving into town and this morning I have seen Robins in my yard. When I see Robins I consider it the first day of spring. So, the long, cold winter has ended and it's spring!!! Our snow is beginning to melt and I hope to see it all gone before too much longer. Free coffee for everybody today in celebration of seeing Robins.
Yeah, our robins returned yesterday also.
Got about 2 hours of sleep, woke up ultra-sinusy and my mid back was killing me, finally went back to bed at 6am and got up at 9:30. Think I'll make an appointment with the Chiro.........

I am killing time, with some things to do on this day off and amongst them is trying to find the time to finish binging with the last 4 episodes and final season of The Fall. [NTFX] I have really enjoyed this two-season chiller. Taking place in Ireland and starring a fave of mine, Gillian Anderson, as the head detective searching for the serial killer. This is my favorite kind of suspense, a mood, character-driven, rather than special effects, type of production.

Amen on the special effects stuff. One of my favorite genres was the battle of the wits between the investigator or reporter or detective and the suspect or the great courtroom scenes. But any more, instead of intelligent and creative writing that makes you really think, they depend on special effects or the 'terrorist' aspect where the bad guy is going after the wife or kids and that becomes the plot instead of the battle of wits.

I don't watch so many of those kinds of programs any more because I just can't tolerate the gratuitous violence, blood, and gore that they seem compelled to write into them.

I used to love the old Columbo series. No blood and gore. Just a really creative murder and then the figuring it all out.

Good morning afternoon, Coffee shoppers! 68 here in Foley at 12:15, headed for 72 with a 50/50 shot of rain. Cloudy and rainy all week with highs in the low 70's and lows in the 50's. It should clear up by the week end.
Megan has a damned kidney stone and won't be in so the wife will be behind the bar till about 5 when Jessica can get in. Damn! I need more people I can call and get in on short notice.
The wife and I can draw beers and pour a rum and Coke, but we ain't mixologists.

Poker tonight. I really need to take a pot or 2.

Yeah, our robins returned yesterday also.
Got about 2 hours of sleep, woke up ultra-sinusy and my mid back was killing me, finally went back to bed at 6am and got up at 9:30. Think I'll make an appointment with the Chiro.........
I feel for ya. My bronchitis is much better, so the chest feels better, but I still have the back pain that I've had for 42 years now. I barely notice it until I aggravate it somehow. Now if I can just get rid of this headache I've had for 4 days....

Forum List

Back