USMB Coffee Shop IV

I'm doing my happy dance this morning and as a result I keep spilling my coffee. The reason I am so happy is because I saw some Robins yesterday when I was driving into town and this morning I have seen Robins in my yard. When I see Robins I consider it the first day of spring. So, the long, cold winter has ended and it's spring!!! Our snow is beginning to melt and I hope to see it all gone before too much longer. Free coffee for everybody today in celebration of seeing Robins.
Yeah, our robins returned yesterday also.
Got about 2 hours of sleep, woke up ultra-sinusy and my mid back was killing me, finally went back to bed at 6am and got up at 9:30. Think I'll make an appointment with the Chiro.........
I feel for ya. My bronchitis is much better, so the chest feels better, but I still have the back pain that I've had for 42 years now. I barely notice it until I aggravate it somehow. Now if I can just get rid of this headache I've had for 4 days....
I figure with all the "walking" I've been doing (antique and junk store shopping) plus working out on the elliptical threw the back out again, low and mid back. Have a Chiro appointment tomorrow morning. Like you I've been dealing with this for over 40 years but it's gotten worse over the last 10 years but mine hurts all the time to some degree or another.
It's been quite warm here the last few days, almost all the snow is gone and things are starting to bloom, been using the sinus rinse and nasal spray quite frequently.

I am killing time, with some things to do on this day off and amongst them is trying to find the time to finish binging with the last 4 episodes and final season of The Fall. [NTFX] I have really enjoyed this two-season chiller. Taking place in Ireland and starring a fave of mine, Gillian Anderson, as the head detective searching for the serial killer. This is my favorite kind of suspense, a mood, character-driven, rather than special effects, type of production.

Amen on the special effects stuff. One of my favorite genres was the battle of the wits between the investigator or reporter or detective and the suspect or the great courtroom scenes. But any more, instead of intelligent and creative writing that makes you really think, they depend on special effects or the 'terrorist' aspect where the bad guy is going after the wife or kids and that becomes the plot instead of the battle of wits.

I don't watch so many of those kinds of programs any more because I just can't tolerate the gratuitous violence, blood, and gore that they seem compelled to write into them.

I used to love the old Columbo series. No blood and gore. Just a really creative murder and then the figuring it all out.

You just have to find the right shows.

I don't watch a lot of police procedural or courtroom drama types, but they are out there. And there's always the Brit shows like The Fall to watch. I really have enjoyed Sherlock, with Benedict Cumberbach, and I was a fan of Luther with Idris Elba (although that may have been too violent for your tastes). With US shows, I enjoy Castle, which is a generally lighthearted police mystery show.

I also think that a show like Columbo didn't necessarily avoid blood or gore because the creators wanted to keep away from it; the rules governing public broadcasting were more stringent when it aired. Given the looser rules today, perhaps the showrunners would have added some of the blood and gore you dislike.

I am killing time, with some things to do on this day off and amongst them is trying to find the time to finish binging with the last 4 episodes and final season of The Fall. [NTFX] I have really enjoyed this two-season chiller. Taking place in Ireland and starring a fave of mine, Gillian Anderson, as the head detective searching for the serial killer. This is my favorite kind of suspense, a mood, character-driven, rather than special effects, type of production.

Amen on the special effects stuff. One of my favorite genres was the battle of the wits between the investigator or reporter or detective and the suspect or the great courtroom scenes. But any more, instead of intelligent and creative writing that makes you really think, they depend on special effects or the 'terrorist' aspect where the bad guy is going after the wife or kids and that becomes the plot instead of the battle of wits.

I don't watch so many of those kinds of programs any more because I just can't tolerate the gratuitous violence, blood, and gore that they seem compelled to write into them.

I used to love the old Columbo series. No blood and gore. Just a really creative murder and then the figuring it all out.

I don't watch a lot of police procedural or courtroom drama types, but they are out there. And there's always the Brit shows like The Fall to watch. I really have enjoyed Sherlock, with Benedict Cumberbach, and I was a fan of Luther with Idris Elba (although that may have been too violent for your tastes). With US shows, I enjoy Castle, which is a generally lighthearted police mystery show.

I also think that a show like Columbo didn't necessarily avoid blood or gore because the creators wanted to keep away from it; the rules governing public broadcasting were more stringent when it aired. Given the looser rules today, perhaps the showrunners would have added some of the blood and gore you dislike.

So I prefer the days when it was not necessary to use all the blood and gore to make the point. I really don't care HOW we came to the point that all the graphic violence became the norm. I don't like it. And I'm not gonna watch it.

So I prefer the days when it was not necessary to use all the blood and gore to make the point. I really don't care HOW we came to the point that all the graphic violence became the norm. I don't like it. And I'm not gonna watch it.

But you can still find shows without all of the graphic violence, or at least less of it than others. Television watching just takes a lot more effort with the billion different options out there. :)

But you can still find shows without all of the graphic violence, or at least less of it than others. Television watching just takes a lot more effort with the billion different options out there. :)

Oh I watch a lot of television. We have five television sets in our house and they are all on cable and they all get used. I don't feel the least bit deprived. But most of the movies I prefer are the older ones with great character development, terrific acting, and strong story lines that don't use or need all the high tech special effects, violence, blood, and gore. Ditto for most television I watch outside of the competition shows and news that makes up the bulk of my TV watching these days.

When television starts using great story lines, great character development, and great acting without all the special effects, gratuitous violence, blood, and gore or people behaving toward each other like some on message boards behave, then they'll get a lot more of my business. For now I just look elsewhere for entertainment.

I think there is a way to portray violence and get the point across without being graphic. One of our favorite movies is "Where Eagles Dare"--Richard Burton - Clint Eastwood. You don't get much more violent than this movie is--lots of hand to hand combat, machine guns, automatic rifles, bombs, explosives, etc. etc. etc.--and you are fully aware of everything that is happening, but there is absolutely no gratuitous shock factor where you have to listen to people screaming in agony for minutes, witness torture, and see the blood spurting. All the violence is necessary to the plot without having to get really graphic. Extremely well done. And an extremely entertaining movie.

Morning

It has been really nice here. I am looking for our humming birds, but they are still a no show. Maybe in a couple of days or so.

funny-animals-233.jpg
LOOK AT THAT LITTLE FART CAKE... :lol:

It has been SOOOOO beautiful here lately, and they say there's MORE COMING! I'm just bustin'... I spend as much time outside as I can. One thing I did today was back the GMC out of the shop for the first time in 3 years and washed the dust off it. I REALLY, REALLY wanted to cruise it around town but, it still needs a front end alignment, and I'm not going to cup the tread on the tires, so, I have to be patient. But here she is... I'm falling in love with it all over again... it's such a FUN truck to drive... can't wait... but also did some much needed picking up, putting away and sweeping in the shop, thank God my back didn't bother me at all today...

It has been SOOOOO beautiful here lately, and they say there's MORE COMING! I'm just bustin'... I spend as much time outside as I can. One thing I did today was back the GMC out of the shop for the first time in 3 years and washed the dust off it. I REALLY, REALLY wanted to cruise it around town but, it still needs a front end alignment, and I'm not going to cup the tread on the tires, so, I have to be patient. But here she is... I'm falling in love with it all over again... it's such a FUN truck to drive... can't wait... but also did some much needed picking up, putting away and sweeping in the shop, thank God my back didn't bother me at all today...

It's beautiful!! And re that back, that is why I really REALLY urge people to get a second and third opinion before opting for surgery. Back when I was working work comp, one back expert I depended on here in Albuquerque was a doctor who ran training sessions for us here in Albuquerque. One thing he emphasized was that most back pain, no matter how severe, will get better with or without surgery. But surgery that doesn't correct the problem will almost invariably create new problems. So for whatever it is worth. . . .

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

Not a TV show fan but I do like good (and some not so good) movies. The blood guts and gore movies I've never really liked though if done properly it can show what has been done without showing the actual mutilation as was done in The Patriot. The scene where Gibson and his two young sons bushwack the Brits taking his oldest son to be hanged. At the end of the fight it shows him bludgeoning a British soldier with a hatchet, you don't see the soldier being killed but you do see Mel getting covered in blood (but not gore).
Given that I grew up on old westerns and shows like Combat. What's funny is one of my favorite westerns is total fantasy, absolutely historically incorrect in so many ways but its reminiscent of the old westerns and that movie is Silverado, peole are killed but no blood, guts and gore.

Not a TV show fan but I do like good (and some not so good) movies. The blood guts and gore movies I've never really liked though if done properly it can show what has been done without showing the actual mutilation as was done in The Patriot. The scene where Gibson and his two young sons bushwack the Brits taking his oldest son to be hanged. At the end of the fight it shows him bludgeoning a British soldier with a hatchet, you don't see the soldier being killed but you do see Mel getting covered in blood (but not gore).
Given that I grew up on old westerns and shows like Combat. What's funny is one of my favorite westerns is total fantasy, absolutely historically incorrect in so many ways but its reminiscent of the old westerns and that movie is Silverado, peole are killed but no blood, guts and gore.

There aren't many Mel Gibson movies that he directs that I like because so many of them I believe are unnecessarily graphically violent. But I enjoy him immensely in the comedies. "Maverick" for instance was a really great movie. And despite his personal problems and personal controversies, I thought he would have made a great Rhett Butler in a remake of "Gone With the Wind."

Just made me a dozen jumbo shrimp and ATE THEM ALL. Used a recipe from online for the batter, and used my little Fry Daddy deep fryer. When I see the 16 to 20 bags of jumbo shrimp in the store, I buy a couple. Holy cow are they good... and am I ever FULL... :lol:

Just made me a dozen jumbo shrimp and ATE THEM ALL. Used a recipe from online for the batter, and used my little Fry Daddy deep fryer. When I see the 16 to 20 bags of jumbo shrimp in the store, I buy a couple. Holy cow are they good... and am I ever FULL... :lol:

I LOVE shrimp, especially well seasoned battered and fried jumbo shrimp. Why do you find bags of shrimp there? We can hardly find it at all here and when we can get them, they want an arm and a leg.

I was reading on Facebook a little while ago. . .who was the genius who decided the time change should happen at 2 a.m. on Sunday morning? Why not at 4 p.m. on Friday afternoon and give us a whole weekend to adjust?

I LOVE shrimp, especially well seasoned battered and fried jumbo shrimp. Why do you find bags of shrimp there? We can hardly find it at all here and when we can get them, they want an arm and a leg.

Weird...I just saw this commercial and started craving shrimp cocktail, then I saw this post.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
I figure with all the "walking" I've been doing (antique and junk store shopping) plus working out on the elliptical threw the back out again, low and mid back. Have a Chiro appointment tomorrow morning. Like you I've been dealing with this for over 40 years but it's gotten worse over the last 10 years but mine hurts all the time to some degree or another.
It's been quite warm here the last few days, almost all the snow is gone and things are starting to bloom, been using the sinus rinse and nasal spray quite frequently.
Must have been the weekend for the return of back problems. Although, these days I'm never sure if it is my back or my leg. A few months ago, I thought it was my hip bothering me but the MRI showed a herniated disc pushing on the spinal chord manifesting the pain in my hip. This weekend my lower leg wasn't exactly in pain, just uncomfortable. Was it the herniated disc/spinal chord, or my actual leg causing the issue? I don't know.

I'm also getting annoyed with the numbness that runs from about mid-thigh all the way down into my toes, it doesn't seem to be getting better. That is caused by the herniated disc and the doctor said it would take a while to improve. I suppose numbness is probably better than pain. My leg and foot just don't seem to act right sometimes when I am walking. I'm not sure how to properly describe it, but my foot feels "floppy", like it doesn't quite land right while walking, like I have a loss of motor control. It's very aggravating.

Unlike you, Ringal, walking seems to improve my overall situation, but I sit at a desk for most of my working hours. I have to keep reminding myself to get up and walk for a few minutes.
I won't go to a chiro, I see them as little more than witch-doctors and so does the AMA (but with softer language than mine).

Forum List

Back