🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Utah giving homes to homeless

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
Utah is Ending Homelessness by Giving People Homes

Earlier this month, Hawaii State representative Tom Bower (D) began walking the streets of his Waikiki district with a sledgehammer, and smashing shopping carts used by homeless people. “Disgusted” by the city’s chronic homelessness problem, Bower decided to take matters into his own hands — literally. He also took to rousing homeless people if he saw them sleeping at bus stops during the day.

Bower’s tactics were over the top, and so unpopular that he quickly declared “Mission accomplished,” and retired his sledgehammer. But Bower’s frustration with his city’s homelessness problem is just an extreme example of the frustration that has led cities to pass measures that effective deal with the homeless by criminalizing homelessness.

This trend makes Utah’s accomplishment even more noteworthy. In eight years, Utah has quietly reduced homelessness by 78 percent, and is on track to end homelessness by 2015.

How did Utah accomplish this? Simple. Utah solved homelessness by giving people homes. In 2005, Utah figured out that the annual cost of E.R. visits and jail stays for homeless people was about $16,670 per person, compared to $11,000 to provide each homeless person with an apartment and a social worker. So, the state began giving away apartments, with no strings attached. Each participant in Utah’s Housing First program also gets a caseworker to help them become self-sufficient, but they keep the apartment even if they fail. The program has been so successful that other states are hoping to achieve similar results with programs modeled on Utah’s.

It sounds like Utah borrowed a page from Homes Not Handcuffs, the 2009 report by The National Law Center on Homelessness & Poverty and The National Coalition for the Homeless. Using a 2004 survey and anecdotal evidence from activists, the report concluded that permanent housing for the homeless is cheaper than criminalization. Housing is not only more human, it’s economical.

This happened in a Republican state!

So, it saves money and helps people. Why wouldn't we all want to help our fellow human beings?

It will be interesting to continue to follow this. Thanks for posting it. Funny we hear so little on good things such as this.

Its disturbing that we would rather see people on the street than save money and give them apartments. Sure, some choose to be homeless but most do not. And so many are vets, handicapped, children.

And they are all human beings.

10384525_10152295983071275_7102636666401348208_n_zps979b7839.jpg

I would hope noone does, there has just been a lack of solutions that have worked. Utah, hopefully has found an answer that actually works.
Its disturbing that we would rather see people on the street than save money and give them apartments. Sure, some choose to be homeless but most do not. And so many are vets, handicapped, children.

And they are all human beings.

10384525_10152295983071275_7102636666401348208_n_zps979b7839.jpg

Who would rather see people on the streets?

I would, if the other option is GIVING them someplace to stay for which they do not pay or have to earn anything to be in.
The benefits outweigh the detriments in my opinion. An apartment is leased, compassion is shown, they get help which taxes are paying for anyway, it's cheaper for the state and a strain off the system in more ways than one.

The benefits outweigh the detriments in my opinion. An apartment is leased, compassion is shown, they get help which taxes are paying for anyway, it's cheaper for the state and a strain off the system in more ways than one.

It is my experience, and the experience of my mother-in-law who runs a trio of local programs to put homeless families in housing that the majority of these people will not take appropriate advantage of the program.

The programs my m-i-l runs consist of 72 units of low cost housing for up to 18 months. More than 60% of her cases are simply terminated by the end of the 18 months because the family has failed to take the assistance and advice given them by the program and turn them into marketable education, job skills, or basic citizenship skills.

For those without mental, severe health problems or are handicapped, throw them out if they've done nothing to help themselves, with all the tools they are given.

Forum List

Back