🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Utah police officer fired after handcuffing, dragging nurse from hospital

Isn't any order given by police a lawful order?
First we should understand that the term, "lawful order," originated in the military and is a common component of military jargon. Each and every function of the military involves the issuing of orders by superiors and the dutiful obedience to orders by subordinates.

Too many civil police "officers," for one psychologically warped reason or other, come to think of themselves as the equivalent of commissioned or non-commissioned military officers. In this distorted sense of their authority they eventually come to regard all ordinary citizens as subordinates who are required to dutifully obey their orders -- any orders, any time, just like in the military.

Some of these deluded egotists are inclined to become enraged when some ordinary citizen has the audacity to question their authority or, worse, fails to dutifully obey their orders. This is a situation which frequently leads to the excessive and/or unlawful use of force -- as in the topic example.

While civil police do have the authority to issue some orders when circumstances call for it, their level of authority over the general public is limited to a very narrow range of circumstances.

Except that soldiers are punished for obedience to illegal orders. See Abu Ghraib. The soldiers were following orders from the CIA. The Superiors told them to and then left to insure they were not implicated. Each of those soldiers had a moral and legal duty to refuse the orders. Each of them had a legal duty to say no.

Is that a question or statement? Nevermind, you'll never pick a side especially when it's a abusive cop vs a white woman.
Not just a White woman, per se, but a nurse in a hospital.
A nurse who understood the policy she had to follow.

And ignored a lawful order and just so happen that the cop lost his job and wasnt defended publicly

The order wasn't lawful. Are you ignoring that fact or are you merely trolling? It's hard to tell with you professional trolls sometimes.

Is that a question or statement? Nevermind, you'll never pick a side especially when it's a abusive cop vs a white woman.

And ignored a lawful order and just so happen that the cop lost his job and wasnt defended publicly
Obviously it wasnt a lawful order....ddduuhhhhh

How is that obvious? The cop asked and she refused. What part wasn't lawful?

Every part of it. She read him chapter and verse on why she could not do as he demanded. It's simple but you authoritarians always demand the people bow to you. Guess what. This is the USA and we have the ability to tell you to fuck off.

I think he deserved it. He should be prosecuted and if not that, then at least the woman should sue.

He should be prosecuted for denying her civil liberties under color of authority and false imprisonment.

Exactly how was this a lawful order?

Are you stupid?

Jesus! He told her to do something against policy of the hospital and the department!

Jesus! He told her to do something against policy of the hospital and the department!

Actually, it was against hospital and department policy, as well as being against both Federal and State law. In other words the cop was actively trying to break the law. What is sad is the truck driver at the heart of the case, died a month ago.

In layman's terms please
In spite of what you might believe I don't go out of my way to complicate a written comment or make it difficult to comprehend. About 75% of my job was writing official reports, which is habit-forming.

While I'm not a lawyer I worked directly for lawyers so my embedded writing style is called "lawyer lingo" and I would have to try very hard to express my thoughts and describe things differently. So, as already suggested, please feel free to translate to a more casual style.

Quite simply no, the police can not order you to do some thing unlawful. Example a cop tells you to punch some one on a street corner. He has just ordered you to commit a crime. Same with a superior officer in the military. A superior officer orders me to do some thing unlawfull or against ethical code I am subject to military court marshal wether ordered to or not.

Having seen this story when it happened, I am delighted to see he got the boot.
He was wrong on so many levels. I hope he learned something, and I hope the nurse regains her trust.
Nurses, especially ER nurses, come in frequent contact with lots of different cops. So I'm quite sure this one realizes that one individual was a loose cannon who is not representative of all cops and that she has prevailed in what was an unfortunate and unusual encounter.
I hope she has the sense to skip town, and seriously consider legally changing her name.,

No.

When is it not a lawful order then?

This story is a perfect example. If the nurse had drawn the blood she would have been fired at a minimum. Probably lost her nursing license, and possibly faced civil and criminal action for medical malpractice. I was following orders is never an excuse.

Let’s say you work at a Doctors Office. The cops show up and demand the medical records for John Doe. You give them the records. You have just violated the law under the HIPA act. The officers can subpoena the records, or can show up with a warrant. But not just me Police you obey peasant. You may face arrest if you refuse. You will face severe penalties if you obey.
You may face torture, rape, and murder if you refuse...

Forum List

Back