Victory: Wisconsin Teachers Just Voted to Disband Their Teachers Union

Having weekends off is a fantastic perk? Outside of people working service jobs, that's pretty standard.

Having weekends off is a fantastic perk? Outside of people working service jobs, that's pretty standard.

These days it is. But Teachers enjoy other great perks too. They themselves rarely mention them, but they're pretty good. Check out how many weeks of paid Holiday time they get off. It's pretty fantastic. Their perks are unique to their profession. Most other professions don't enjoy such perks.

They get a lot of "paid Holiday time" if you count the summer as "paid" time (they're really just getting paid less over the course of the year and receiving it in the summer).

Don't teachers in the US need a union to help them defend themselves against false charges by pupils? Charges of sexual harassment or racial abuse? A constant hazard in the UK and to a lesser extent in Sweden.

No, because those charges tend to be true. The school administartion is supposed to protect it's staff.

In England less than 5% of charges of sexual abuse against teachers are sustained. Far from tending to be true they are overwhelmingly malicious accusations by pupils demonstrating power over teachers. Power exercised with impunity.

I personally know of two teachers whose lives were ruined by false accusations. Both committed suicide.

Union shop unions are for workers too stupid and unskilled to negotiate their individual wages based on their individual skills and experience.
Unions are for the worker who has to have the leverage of mob violence to get paid the median wage of his skill set.

American teachers have a hard job at schools where many parents these days expect the government to baby sit their children.
But they do not work a full year and get months of vacation.

Union shop unions are for workers too stupid and unskilled to negotiate their individual wages based on their individual skills and experience.
Unions are for the worker who has to have the leverage of mob violence to get paid the median wage of his skill set.

I know you guys all think you're special snowflakes, but you're not.

There's nothing special about negotiating a good wage for the job. You should try it sometime.

There's nothing special about negotiating a good wage for the job. You should try it sometime.

Unless you have a highly unique skill set (and really, not even then), your employer has all of the bargaining power in the "negotiation".

My uncle would laugh in your face. He was ans is a damn good mechanic...his boss knew and paid him accordingly! He could basically write his own ticket at any repair shop or fleet in the country, and he knew it.

I do not think I am "special snowflakes" whatever the hell that is.
I negotiate my wages individually like most everyone that has educated and trained themselves to think for themselves.
Union rule is mob rule. How else do they gain any power?

Unless you have a highly unique skill set (and really, not even then), your employer has all of the bargaining power in the "negotiation".

Yes, the one that takes 100% of the risk should have 100% of the power.
But the worker has the power of his skills and education and that is in demand.
NO employer in a business that requires something higher than "do you want fries with that" wants to treat employees unfairly.
He makes less $$$ that way.
No one cares or gives a rat's ass how much you know.
They want to know how much you CARE.
And I care about employees and their families and they make more than union wage of the same worker in a union up north here in Georgia with me.
Half of them are former union workers moved south for the freedom of no union, freedom of not being restricted to a certain union job description and not being robbed to pay for political candidates they do not support yet have to contribute to their campaigns through union dues.

They get a lot of "paid Holiday time" if you count the summer as "paid" time (they're really just getting paid less over the course of the year and receiving it in the summer).

Been down this road before. These discussions always go the same way. Numerous Teachers will show up on the thread to vehemently defend their constant whining. And then i'll grow tired & bored laying reality on em. So i won't be going down that long road this time. Teachers have played the victim and cried wolf for too long. They do enjoy fantastic perks unique to their profession. They don't have it nearly as bad as they claim. They are by far the biggest whiners of all the professions. And the Taxpayers are sick of being held hostage. If they're so unhappy, they should simply find another profession. No one likes a whiner.

Last edited:

That's actually not true. Hire for talent and train for skills is a common concept used in business. Obviously you have to provide some value immediately to get hired, but the bargaining power only rests with the employer when there's a glut of people qualified for a job. The disconnect usually happens when the people working for the paycheck don't understand how their company makes money and/or have no real skills.

Been down this road before. These discussions always go the same way. Numerous Teachers will show up on the thread to vehemently defend their constant whining. And then i'll grow tired & bored laying reality on em. So i won't be going down that long road this time. Teachers have played the victim and cried wolf for too long. They do enjoy fantastic perks unique to their profession. They don't have it nearly as bad as they claim. They are by far the biggest whiners of all the professions. And the Taxpayers are sick of being held hostage. If they're so unhappy, they should simply find another profession. No one likes a whiner.

Name any other job that virtually anyone with a 4-year degree can get with a generous benefit package, a pension, job security, summers and holidays off, and guaranteed pay raises just for sticking around. Teachers don't get rich, but they don't take much risk either. It's a trade off.

I do not think I am "special snowflakes" whatever the hell that is.
I negotiate my wages individually like most everyone that has educated and trained themselves to think for themselves.
Union rule is mob rule. How else do they gain any power?

Indeed. And they want public ballots so that they can intimidate the poor working slobs into toeing the union line.

Yes, the one that takes 100% of the risk should have 100% of the power.
But the worker has the power of his skills and education and that is in demand.
NO employer in a business that requires something higher than "do you want fries with that" wants to treat employees unfairly.
He makes less $$$ that way.
No one cares or gives a rat's ass how much you know.
They want to know how much you CARE.
And I care about employees and their families and they make more than union wage of the same worker in a union up north here in Georgia with me.
Half of them are former union workers moved south for the freedom of no union, freedom of not being restricted to a certain union job description and not being robbed to pay for political candidates they do not support yet have to contribute to their campaigns through union dues.

No business cares about "fairness". It cares about maximizing profits. That comes, in part, of paying employees the lowest wage the market will bear.

The "discussions" go the same way because you claim teachers have "fantastic perks", then when pressed on the point mention a few mundane things most workers have.

None of your far righties are better informed or part of a more mature market.

The statement above by Jarred Jaraxle contradicted the implication of the OP. (No one has proved differently).

This particular union failed to take care of its members, so they will go to a more hard core union, which is the American way and hated by business.

Tis what it tis, far right reactionaries.

The American way is to unionize? It's the American way for laborer's to extort money from their employers? Since when? Seeing as how the bulk of the labor force is NOT in a union, that statement doesn't seem to hold much water.

Last edited:

The "discussions" go the same way because you claim teachers have "fantastic perks", then when pressed on the point mention a few mundane things most workers have.

Most workers, don't have every single 'mundane' holiday off. They don't get spring breaks. They don't get a week or more off at Christmas. Want more money teachers? Here's a novel idea; WORK THE OTHER THIRD OF THE YEAR LIKE EVERYONE ELSE!

Forum List

Back