Virginia 6-year-old who shot teacher won't face charges, prosecutor says

^^^ The big question is what should be done with those who are too young to be charged? In other words, how should they be punished and for how long?

God bless you always!!!

Holly

It's important to teach children that there will never ever, ever be consequences for their actions. /sarcasm

Children should absolutely have consequences for their actions. However, a child that age may or may not be able to understand grave bodily injury and even death. Too young to be prosecuted and charged in our legal system.

Man though--I wish we would start listening to teachers when we raise real issues with discipline in school. An ounce of prevention and all of that.

The obvious answer to the problem is for parents to keep their guns locked in a safe.

That will then require the homeowner to become proficient at getting the guns out of the safe in less time than it takes the bad guy to pull the trigger!

Or just allow the bad guy to have the big screen t.v., stuff, so the homeowner and his family can live to tell the story.
You exemplify the death of Canada

I don't know the full situation and will wait for more information but if the parents left the gun where it was easily accessed by the child, of course they should be charged.

When the prosecutor notes they are not going to file charges on the kid that doesn't mean the kid will not be dealt with in any way.

No, the child shouldn't be formally punished by the law, but the law must contain a mechanism to charge and punish those responsible for the child's behaviour.

But Americans in great numbers will reject punishment of the guilty party and that soon leads to anarchy.

Most people in other coutries would say that the gun situation in America has already resulted in gun related anarchy!

Suffice to say that the next child who shoots his teacher (or other) will be able to claim free license to do so, with no logical consequences.
I definitely think this kid should have regular psychiatric evaluation for years to come in order to avoid being sent to a special school.

A perfect assassination recruit .
I could do with a dozen like him as the basis for an international hit squad .Start them young .Treat them rough -- keep them in a cupboard .
A bicycle for a first successful mission .

If a kid is old enough to understand if they shoot somebody with a gun and they can die then they should receive consequences for their actions. It all depends on that bit of information right there.

I don't know the full situation and will wait for more information but if the parents left the gun where it was easily accessed by the child, of course they should be charged.

When the prosecutor notes they are not going to file charges on the kid that doesn't mean the kid will not be dealt with in any way.

The child needs immediate remedial attention.

Right now.

If a kid is old enough to understand if they shoot somebody with a gun and they can die then they should receive consequences for their actions. It all depends on that bit of information right there.

An intelligent 6 yo can BEGIN to understand what death is.

An average 6 yo? Maybe.

A 6 yo with any kind of academic/cognitive challenge? No. Not even close.

Again, I'm a big believer in kids being held to account. But this child is not 15, or 10, or even 8.

SIX. 6 years old.

An intelligent 6 yo can BEGIN to understand what death is.

An average 6 yo? Maybe.

A 6 yo with any kind of academic/cognitive challenge? No. Not even close.

Again, I'm a big believer in kids being held to account. But this child is not 15, or 10, or even 8.

SIX. 6 years old.

That's right, I forgot that this child was special needs.

Leaving guns in dresser or desk drawers is "easily accessed" for sure.

Forum List

Back