Walker cuts $300 million from university budget then gives $200 million to the NBA

The republicans will always side with the corporations over the interest of the people. They wouldn't give a damn if that water main breaks or a busy bridge falls into a river. The people don't matter to them.

It's no secret that the liberal media hates Walker. The use of words like "manifesto" are deliberately incendiary. Libs have it rigged so that Walker would be called racist and anti middle class if he denied funding for a NBA stadium and probably accused of pandering to the rich if he increased funding to universities.
I don't hate Walker. I supported his breaking of the unions.

But I am sick and tired of taxpayers being asked to provide handouts to people who don't need them. I'm sorry, but the NBA doesn't strike me as a long suffering demographic, even if they are mostly black. :D

And it is a personal quirk of mine to ask for evidence when someone tosses out a dubious claim.

It's funny, the libs think infrastructure construction grows the economy when it doesn't and they assume that construction of a stadium doesn't grow the economy which it does. I would venture to suggest that lavish funding for universities could be considered to be "handouts to people who don't need them".

USA Today, College Section; snip.

If approved, the cut would represent the deepest in the history of Wisconsin’s higher education.

Michael Falbo, the president of the UW Board of Regents, says the university has been working alongside Walker to make the plan a reality. Along with cutting funding, the plan would transfer more authority over the university from the state government to the board.

This handover would cut down on various inefficiencies that currently drain university funds,Falbo says.

“There’s many more restrictions with government control versus public authority,” Falbo says. “We’re not a small authority, but the state is definitely bigger.”

Falbo said his main concern is timing — while cutting bureaucratic costs should eventually help make up some of the difference, the budget slash will take place before the board’s autonomy saves a significant amount of money.

“We’re certainly looking at ways we can be more efficient,” Falbo says. “The last thing we want to happen is the cuts to affect the quality of the education.”

The plan comes in the middle of a UW tuition freeze, which forbids the university from making up the difference by hiking attendance costs of its 183,000 students until 2017.

The Regents are working with Scott to save money. That's a good thing. The entire article mentions that with further cuts in funding, the universities are losing their ability to compete for the very best in Professors and other educators. Leading to a drop in the perceived quality of the education. But that doesn't really matter to much to Republicans.

They like B Ball better.

Still doesn't make giving 200m to a successful professional sports team any better of an idea.

It's no secret that the liberal media hates Walker. The use of words like "manifesto" are deliberately incendiary. Libs have it rigged so that Walker would be called racist and anti middle class if he denied funding for a NBA stadium and probably accused of pandering to the rich if he increased funding to universities.
I don't hate Walker. I supported his breaking of the unions.

But I am sick and tired of taxpayers being asked to provide handouts to people who don't need them. I'm sorry, but the NBA doesn't strike me as a long suffering demographic, even if they are mostly black. :D

And it is a personal quirk of mine to ask for evidence when someone tosses out a dubious claim.

It's funny, the libs think infrastructure construction grows the economy when it doesn't and they assume that construction of a stadium doesn't grow the economy which it does. I would venture to suggest that lavish funding for universities could be considered to be "handouts to people who don't need them".

LOL,
So another republican comes out and says that education = worthless! Show me where infrastructure doesn't grow a economy. China and India would laugh in your face!

Probably 50% of growth in some countries is purely infrastructure.

The republicans will always side with the corporations over the interest of the people. They wouldn't give a damn if that water main breaks or a busy bridge falls into a river. The people don't matter to them.
Los Angeles is not known for its Republicans....

3 paragraphs from the unread article

"The cuts amount to 13 percent of the system's budget and are the largest in the system's history in a long line of budget cuts. They are responsible for making up close to half of the state's $650 million budget gap over the next two years. It's also tied to a two-year extension of a tuition freeze along with efforts to give the universities more authority over its budget....

For one, in the same budget proposal, Walker nearly cancels out his university cuts with a $220 million grant to build a new NBA stadium for the Milwaukee Bucks, another component receiving initial opposition in the state even though Walker pledges that the state will make its money back....

The reason why Scott Walker is considered a leading presidential candidate is because he's been willing to take some risks and make some bold reforms," Graul said. "People … like that you make decisions and stand by your decisions, even if you don't agree with it."

think infrastructure construction grows the economy when it doesn't and they assume that construction of a stadium doesn't grow the economy which it does. I would venture to suggest that lavish funding for universities could be considered to be "handouts to people who don't need them".

A professional sports team wants to grow their business. Great idea. That's why they have banks. Did you know that? Banks will lend to a successful sports team to grow their business. That's a good thing. That's how the free market works.

Doesn't require the government or the tax payer to fund capital improvements
How come you think it does require tax payer involvement? Can you say?

They build that arena, all those good things that you say would happen with tax payer money will still happen.

Or is it that the NBA is kinda holding the taxpayers up a little bit? You know, either they get 200m some way from the state or maybe they don't build that new arena.
Nah, they wouldn't do that.

And if you can't see the difference between a quality education and a seat at a basketball game. Well, wtf?

Corporations are people, my friend.

Shows where his priorities are

Scott Walker Takes A National Risk With State Education Cuts - NBC News

His proposed $300 million cut to the University of Wisconsin system, however, could be more problematic for Walker. At home, it's highly controversial, receiving aggressive opposition from the students of the 26 two- and four-year universities and their 39,000 employees. Nationally, it is sure to be scrutinized and quite probably turned into an aggressive line of attack against the governor

In the same budget proposal, Walker nearly cancels out his university cuts with a $220 million grant to build a new NBA stadium for the Milwaukee Bucks, another component receiving initial opposition in the state even though Walker pledges that the state will make its money back.
Deace said Walker is handing free red meat over to the Democrats.
"If I'm a Democrat, my first commercial is Walker cuts $300 million to education but gives $200 million to the NBA," Deace said. "I don't understand who tells these guys that's a winning message."

Yeah, you should run with that...

:lol:

Think of the effect shutting down the NBA would have on the unemployment figures for black males!

for anybody to condone giving money to watch a bunch of 7 foot players dunk a ball in a 10 foot basket, shows the stupidity and b.s. republicans keep trying to sell us. Free market we all are paying to subsidies so owners get richer and richer. amazing how stupid americans are. repeating same old mistakes

Shows where his priorities are

Scott Walker Takes A National Risk With State Education Cuts - NBC News

His proposed $300 million cut to the University of Wisconsin system, however, could be more problematic for Walker. At home, it's highly controversial, receiving aggressive opposition from the students of the 26 two- and four-year universities and their 39,000 employees. Nationally, it is sure to be scrutinized and quite probably turned into an aggressive line of attack against the governor

In the same budget proposal, Walker nearly cancels out his university cuts with a $220 million grant to build a new NBA stadium for the Milwaukee Bucks, another component receiving initial opposition in the state even though Walker pledges that the state will make its money back.
Deace said Walker is handing free red meat over to the Democrats.
"If I'm a Democrat, my first commercial is Walker cuts $300 million to education but gives $200 million to the NBA," Deace said. "I don't understand who tells these guys that's a winning message."

Yeah, you should run with that...

:lol:

Seems like they will

Walkers education cred is not that good to start with

That works out to $1650 for every university student to give to a Basketball team

What do you expect from a college dropout?

Again the university asked Walker to make those cuts, don't you feel like an idiot now for starting this thread?
BluesLegend

We're still waiting for a link that shows the universities asked for a $300 million cut.

Ahahaha look when another dumb ass lib started a similar thread on this the other day, I researched it for myself. What I discovered was yet again libs were telling half the story and being dishonest. So you can either get off your lazy fat ass and do your own research as I did, or you can blow it out your ass it makes no difference to me.
All you are proving so far is that you are a liar. You obviously can't prove your claim.

Go ahead. Make a fool out of me. LInk to evidence which says the universities asked for a $300 million cut.

Critical thinking is used as a way of deciding whether a claim is true, partially true, or false. Critical thinking is a process that leads to skills that can be learned, mastered, and used. Critical thinking is a tool by which one can come about reasoned conclusions based on a reasoned process.

Study Guide for Psychology - Cram101 Textbook Reviews - Google Books

OR I could ignore the rotted festering stench of troll you are giving off and ignore you, yeah that's way easier. lol

That works out to $1650 for every university student to give to a Basketball team

What do you expect from a college dropout?

Again the university asked Walker to make those cuts, don't you feel like an idiot now for starting this thread?
Only an idiot would say something they can't prove. If I have to prove everything I say, and I do prove it. You have to do the same.

Its not my responsibility to prove something that was widely reported, go look up Gov. Walker's statements on this or go on pretending to be ignorant if you wish it makes no difference to me.

Forum List

Back