WalMart Leads the Way!

We don't need no stinking regulations! Companies will do whats right on their own or ppl wont go there any...oh look, towels on sale!

We have regulations, but obviously laws don't always get followed. Hell, politicians in Washington are having problems following laws and our constitution and they are usually let off the hook.

WalMart was WRONG and paying the fine is just a start. They should be monitored to ensure they are following laws and the fine better cover any clean up costs.

I think WalMart should give every household in the affected areas free bottled drinking water for as long as it takes to remedy this problem.

Once a company is caught breaking the law, it's up to the state and/or federal government to follow through and make sure the company makes amends. If WalMart gets off with a fine ($81 million isn't a lot to them), then we can blame government for being too easy on them.

Were you hoping for jail time ?
Well, corporations are people.

Who cares...

Corperations give tens of millions of Americans jobs. That's what's important.

They also give the American people choices.

Want to take that away from us?
NO, Wal-mart has been taking our choices away. They come into a community and put several businesses out of business. They do this by getting protection from the government, abusive business practices, lowering their prices so low that the local stores can't compete, b/c they have the whole chain behind them, and then once the local stores are gone, they can raise their prices back up.

Those good retail jobs that the local stores provided are now gone, and what are those employees left with?

SNAP, Section eight housing, and Wal-mart jobs.

So the tax-payer is subsidizing Wal-mart's business model, where before, local businesses where paying their employees fair wages. Added to that, all the money that the local business was making, went back into the community. Where do you think the money that Wal-mart is making goes? Do you think it stays in the local community?

You know so little about how the supply chains work and how the local economies work. . . .

I'm thinking you do know, don't you Mr. Wal-mart Manager? That might explain your hatred toward minorities and idiots. . . . . You see them every day. That is after all your clientele. In my state we make fun of people that shop at Wal-Mart. We have a better chain store that is family run, they won't even allow it to be traded on the stock market or be run by corporate stock holders. They want to be responsible to their family. That is how they view their employees and the communities that they set up shop in. Their stores cost more to shop in, but you don't get the crap I have to deal with at Wal-Mart.

I can take a product back to their store, no tag, no receipt, and if they still have the same product on the shelf? They take it back, no questions asked. You know that old saying, "The customer is always right?" Yeah, go into a Wal-mart and try to pull that shit. :tongue:

That's why their low prices aren't worth my time, b/c shit made in China needs that "The customer is always right," guarantee, and you sure as hell don't get that at Wal-mart.

I don't have time to deal with the rot and decay that Wal-mart encourages in our society.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX86viXrV_4]The People Of Walmart - YouTube[/ame]

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

We don't need no stinking regulations! Companies will do whats right on their own or ppl wont go there any...oh look, towels on sale!

We have regulations, but obviously laws don't always get followed. Hell, politicians in Washington are having problems following laws and our constitution and they are usually let off the hook.

WalMart was WRONG and paying the fine is just a start. They should be monitored to ensure they are following laws and the fine better cover any clean up costs.

I think WalMart should give every household in the affected areas free bottled drinking water for as long as it takes to remedy this problem.

Once a company is caught breaking the law, it's up to the state and/or federal government to follow through and make sure the company makes amends. If WalMart gets off with a fine ($81 million isn't a lot to them), then we can blame government for being too easy on them.

There is no evidence anyone was affected by this. The lawsuit is over unsafe practices, such as using a common trash hauler to remove fertilizer from the stores instead of a hazmat hauler, and dumping things down drains into the WASTEwater system, not just dumping the stuff into streams and aquifers.

There is no evidence anyone was affected by this. The lawsuit is over unsafe practices, such as using a common trash hauler to remove fertilizer from the stores instead of a hazmat hauler, and dumping things down drains into the WASTEwater system, not just dumping the stuff into streams and aquifers.

What is a WASTEwater system made to handle? And what is a WASTEwater system NOT made to handle?

What is a WASTEwater system made to handle? And what is a WASTEwater system NOT made to handle?

It all depends on the system in question. Some of this waste, in particular the fertilizers went to landfills, not down the drain, so its more a question of what leachate system was being used, the permeability of the landfills liner, and the location of the landfill versus the local water supply.

Wastewater treatment processes can handle small quantities of complex organics such as pesticides and organic components of paint. They are also able to handle the loads from fertilizer (mostly nitrogen and phosporous, with some carbon), again depending on the loading. One problem with paint would be the impact of the oil based solvent, as oils do tend to increase the issue of grease in the treatment train, but again, it all depends on volume.

To put it simply, if someone dumped 5-6 cans of pesticide in 15 minutes into a drain, all but the smallest WWTP's can handle that. Its when you dump a tanker trucks worth in one shot that the biology may be impacted in secondary treatment.

Disclaimer: I am a Wastewater Engineer (MS ChemE, P.E. NY State), 17 years experience.

What CAN'T I flush down the toilet?

You cannot flush anything down the drain that could clog the sewer collection system or could damage the sewage treatment facility. This includes:

• Fats, oils or greases.

• Big chunks of garbage, sand, metals, wood, straw or grass, wastepaper, plastics, toys, animal parts, goldfish, glass, cat litter (including so called "flushable" cat litter), disposable diapers, sanitary napkins, tampons (including tampon applicators), other bulky so called "disposable" products, or similar substances.

• Corrosive substances, either acidic or caustic.

• Rainwater and storm water; foundation drains, sump pumps, roof drains, etc.
  • Flammable or explosive liquids, solids, or gases.
  • Anti-freeze or coolant, brake fluid, transmission fluid and other automotive chemicals.

• Paint, stains, wood preservatives, solvents, sealants and thinners
  • Any substance that is toxic to the treatment facilities or workers in the facilities.
  • Poisons and hazardous waste
  • Anything radioactive.
  • Fertilizer, herbicides, pesticides, insecticides.

• Medical equipment and medicines (see below)

Why can't I flush these things down the drain?

The above types of materials can cause clogs in the sewer lines or damage to the collection system or treatment facility. They may also pose safety threats to citizens and sewer workers. Some of the prohibited substances are not readily removed in the sewage treatment process, and therefore pose a threat to water quality when discharged with the facilities effluent. ("Effluent" means the treated water from a sewage treatment facility that is discharged into the lake, river, or groundwater.)

Why should I care what happens to the sewage treatment facility?

A sewage treatment facility is publicly owned, which means we all pay for the associated costs. Proper sewage treatment is vital in protecting everyone from water borne diseases and protecting the environment from pollution. This important job is not cheap! We all pay for it! By following the above guidelines we all contribute to protecting our community's investment and keeping costs as low as possible. Clogs in city sewer lines from grease or other materials cost money to be cleared out. This cost is passed on to everyone in the form of higher taxes and/or higher user fees.

You cannot flush anything down the drain that could clog the sewer collection system or could damage the sewage treatment facility. This includes:

• Fats, oils or greases.

• Big chunks of garbage, sand, metals, wood, straw or grass, wastepaper, plastics, toys, animal parts, goldfish, glass, cat litter (including so called "flushable" cat litter), disposable diapers, sanitary napkins, tampons (including tampon applicators), other bulky so called "disposable" products, or similar substances.

• Anti-freeze or coolant, brake fluid, transmission fluid and other automotive chemicals.

• Any substance that is toxic to the treatment facilities or workers in the facilities.
  • Anything radioactive.

The above types of materials can cause clogs in the sewer lines or damage to the collection system or treatment facility. They may also pose safety threats to citizens and sewer workers. Some of the prohibited substances are not readily removed in the sewage treatment process, and therefore pose a threat to water quality when discharged with the facilities effluent. ("Effluent" means the treated water from a sewage treatment facility that is discharged into the lake, river, or groundwater.)

A sewage treatment facility is publicly owned, which means we all pay for the associated costs. Proper sewage treatment is vital in protecting everyone from water borne diseases and protecting the environment from pollution. This important job is not cheap! We all pay for it! By following the above guidelines we all contribute to protecting our community's investment and keeping costs as low as possible. Clogs in city sewer lines from grease or other materials cost money to be cleared out. This cost is passed on to everyone in the form of higher taxes and/or higher user fees.

Treatment plants can handle small (or in some cases even large) quantities of most of the items listed above. its when said materials get into the system in large and sudden amounts (called a shock load) that trouble can occur.

The biggest sources of grease is from residential and commercial enterprises. (resturants).

Also the rainwater/stormwater listing is a simplification. Some systems are desgined to handle both rainwater and sewage at the same time, (combined sewers).

The guidelines are in place so people dont dump crap like that continously. Occasional loads from the items above can be handled and treated.

There has not been one single complaint that WalMart dumped truckloads of toxic material down any drain. They are all based on complaints that a cleaning crew improperly disposed of such material.

This is like the radio station that issued a report that molecules of hydrogen were joined with molecules of oxygen by a terrorist organization and poisoned the water supply. An ignorant and panicked public called every public safety organization including the radio station and police departments wondering if they were going to die from H2O.

There has not been one single complaint that WalMart dumped truckloads of toxic material down any drain. They are all based on complaints that a cleaning crew improperly disposed of such material.

yes because if its not a truckload it doesn't count. You tell 'em:clap2:

81 MILLION dollars of damage. Yes...it was one guy

The fine is not just for damages there are also punitive fines that have nothing to do with any damages.

Yes...from one guy..

As I said punitive fines have nothing to do with actual damages.

And you never answered my question about corrupt cops. Surely there are more corrupt cops abusing people than there are Walmart employees dumping pain down drains so why don't you get all outraged about someth8ing that really matters?

yes because if its not a truckload it doesn't count. You tell 'em:clap2:

Based on dilution factors in the collection system and the inherent size of the bacterial population in most wastewater treatment systems, a truckload is usually what is needed to have an adverse impact.

Still illegal to dump small amounts though, its just the system can usually handle it.

The fine is not just for damages there are also punitive fines that have nothing to do with any damages.

Yes...from one guy..

As I said punitive fines have nothing to do with actual damages.

And you never answered my question about corrupt cops. Surely there are more corrupt cops abusing people than there are Walmart employees dumping pain down drains so why don't you get all outraged about someth8ing that really matters?

Uh because this is about Walmart.

Also, check my record I posted just a few weeks ago about cops abusing their power in the "stop and frisk" law in NYC. Curiously, Mr. Justice, what is your position?

I bet its the same as Walmart. "Who cares!" or some sort of Justification Captain Constitution.

• Fats, oils or greases.

• Anything radioactive.

Treatment plants can handle small (or in some cases even large) quantities of most of the items listed above. its when said materials get into the system in large and sudden amounts (called a shock load) that trouble can occur.

The biggest sources of grease is from residential and commercial enterprises. (resturants).

Also the rainwater/stormwater listing is a simplification. Some systems are desgined to handle both rainwater and sewage at the same time, (combined sewers).

The guidelines are in place so people dont dump crap like that continously. Occasional loads from the items above can be handled and treated.

In some municipalities restaurants are required to have grease traps. I understand that a plant can 'handle' small amounts of 'said materials', but how much of those 'said materials' pass through and are discharged into the lake, river, or groundwater?

• Fats, oils or greases.

• Anything radioactive.

In some municipalities restaurants are required to have grease traps. I understand that a plant can 'handle' small amounts of 'said materials', but how much of those 'said materials' pass through and are discharged into the lake, river, or groundwater?

It depends on the treatment process, the amount added to the head of the plant, and the material in question. Remember treatment plants are not desgined to remove ALL pollutants from the waste stream, but to REDUCE the amount of pollutants to a level that can be handled by the recieving water system.

The key is to reduce the pollutant load to a level that does not impact the reciving water too adversely. I wouldnt swim by a plant outfall, but a mile or so away? No real issue.

Do you use bleach in your laundry? Ever put draino down your pipes?

Do you use bleach in your laundry? Ever put draino down your pipes?

Yea, and I basically use bleach in my swimming pool as a a disinfectant. Pool chlorine is sodium hypochlorite. Bleach is sodium hypochlorite, just a lower concentration.

AND...Sodium hypochlorite has been used for the disinfection of drinking water or water systems.

No, I never use Drano. I use a plunger, snake or high pressure water.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back