Walmart: Retail Giant Falling Into Terminal Decline...

Sorry, but $7-9 an hr. just ain't gonna cut it. Doesn't get you much in today's America. These people will turn to Government for assistance. And they'll get it. We're not a nation that allows its People to starve to death... Well, i think so anyway.
Look stupid! If you are not making enough money, that is YOUR fault. You make minimum wage because you are worth that or less to a company.
Years ago, I started a job in a machine shop at minimum wage. If I remember correctly, MW was $1.35. In 2 weeks, I was making $2/hr and in 6 months, $4/hour. I didn't get a 300% raise because I promised to vote for a Democrat. I was paid more because I was worth more.

Again, we're not a nation that allows its People to starve to death. That may upset you, but it is the reality. If Walmart won't pay, you will. It is what it is.
No one wants anyone to starve to death, but I'll be damned if I will reward your irresponsibility.

They won't be allowed to starve. That's the point. You're just gonna have to accept that.
No they won't but forcing Walmart to pay them more than they are worth is paulitician stupid.
It is not Walmart's duty to make you a quality employee.
Would you be willing to pay more money for gasoline than you can buy it for all over town?
Why should Walmart pay more for labor?

What's a human being worth? What are we talkin about?

As far as Walmart is, and should be concerned, a human being with no skills is worth the minimum wage it can pay to entice it to collect shopping carts out in the lot.
You are hardly concerned with humanity. You want to deny Americans the right to arm themselves against rape, robbery and assault and you bloody well love snatching pre-term infants from their mothers' vaginas.
Walmart is nothing but your political football du jour. If it humanity was your concern, you would be bitching about the Chinese workers assembling IPhones 55 hours a week for $200/month.

I'd be sad if they paid their employees a living wage so the taxpayers were not subsidizing their operations and didn't rape local communities of much needed tax income. Maybe if they made an effort to buy American.

As it is.......nope.
Walmart is paying 10 dollars an hour now and goes to 11 next year. Just how much should a cart pusher make idiot?

Enough to survive on. What do you think a survivable wage is in today's America?
Entry level jobs are NOT life building or family building jobs and never were intended to be.

Well they are now.
WHAT?!!!! Are you nuts?
Since when?....Because you say so?

It's reality.

I'd be sad if they paid their employees a living wage so the taxpayers were not subsidizing their operations and didn't rape local communities of much needed tax income. Maybe if they made an effort to buy American.

As it is.......nope.
Walmart is paying 10 dollars an hour now and goes to 11 next year. Just how much should a cart pusher make idiot?

Enough to survive on. What do you think a survivable wage is in today's America?
No, damn it! A cart pusher should not make enough to survive on. He should make enough so that he can buy a soda and a CD now and then, and maybe buy his own lunch in the high school cafeteria.
He should not be trying to support himself, let alone a family on a minimum wage job.
He should be learning to get to work on time, to follow directions and obey the rules of the business he works for, while enhancing his skill set so he can earn a living and maybe raise a family.

:laugh: Boy are you living in the Dark Ages. Times have changed. Half of America will soon be working low-skilled entry-level jobs. If Businesses won't pay em, Taxpayers will have to.
Just a minute. If as you claim fewer Americans will be working low level jobs, whose fault is that?
Is it not incumbent upon each of us to do what we must to improve our skills and our value to our employer?
How in the hell did a so called living wage ever become an entitlement?
You do realize that artificial and arbitrary increases in pay must be absorbed by the marketplace in a way the marketplace sees fit, don't you?
And you do realize the money has to come from somewhere, do you not?

Businesses won't pay, you will. We're not a nation that allows its People to starve to death.

Entry level jobs are NOT life building or family building jobs and never were intended to be.

Well they are now.
WHAT?!!!! Are you nuts?

It's reality.
It's NOT reality it's liberal bullsh8t and destroying our economy. You want people to ASPIRE to one day be a cart pusher you moron?

Well they are now.
WHAT?!!!! Are you nuts?

It's reality.
You wouldn't know reality if it bit you in the scrotum.

No, damn it! A cart pusher should not make enough to survive on. He should make enough so that he can buy a soda and a CD now and then, and maybe buy his own lunch in the high school cafeteria.
He should not be trying to support himself, let alone a family on a minimum wage job.
He should be learning to get to work on time, to follow directions and obey the rules of the business he works for, while enhancing his skill set so he can earn a living and maybe raise a family.

:laugh: Boy are you living in the Dark Ages. Times have changed. Half of America will soon be working low-skilled entry-level jobs. If Businesses won't pay em, Taxpayers will have to.
Just a minute. If as you claim fewer Americans will be working low level jobs, whose fault is that?
Is it not incumbent upon each of us to do what we must to improve our skills and our value to our employer?
You do realize that artificial and arbitrary increases in pay must be absorbed by the marketplace in a way the marketplace sees fit, don't you?

Businesses won't pay, you will. We're not a nation that allows its People to starve to death.
What we ARE is a nation that says GET YOUR DUMB ASS a skill or education so you DON'T wind up a damn cart pusher!

Well they are now.
WHAT?!!!! Are you nuts?

It's reality.
It's NOT reality it's liberal bullsh8t and destroying our economy. You want people to ASPIRE to one day be a cart pusher you moron?

You want someone pushing your cart, no? They're human beings. They're not slaves. They provide a service you want and need.

Well they are now.
WHAT?!!!! Are you nuts?

It's reality.
You wouldn't know reality if it bit you in the scrotum.

Back at ya. You're gonna pay for Walmart's slaves eventually. That's fact.

As far as Walmart is, and should be concerned, a human being with no skills is worth the minimum wage it can pay to entice it to collect shopping carts out in the lot.
You are hardly concerned with humanity. You want to deny Americans the right to arm themselves against rape, robbery and assault and you bloody well love snatching pre-term infants from their mothers' vaginas.
Walmart is nothing but your political football du jour. If it humanity was your concern, you would be bitching about the Chinese workers assembling IPhones 55 hours a week for $200/month.
The CEO of Costco disagrees. But you obviously know more than he does.

What we ARE is a nation that says GET YOUR DUMB ASS a skill or education so you DON'T wind up a damn cart pusher!

You gonna push your own cart? I doubt it. And sorry, but we are a nation that takes care of its own.

in my sordid past------I did that kind of job for $1.25 per hour-------10 dollars per hour? ya think they would hire
me?

I did too in 1969

yeah----then------It took me thru college ------sorta-----along with a NATIONAL DEFENSE scholarship
and loan-----------(not a military thing) the GOOD ole'days--------

What you could buy for $100.00 in 1969 would cost you $655.56 now
The Cost of Living Calculator | AIER

still not bad------six times 1.25 is 7.25---plus the half-----~ 65 cents ----6.90------times
are better now

America's Minimum Wage is an embarrassment. Most of the world is shocked that such a wealthy nation treats its workers so poorly. It's so bad, even Walmart finally got shamed into paying its workers more.
That is YOUR opinion.....
BTW, those higher wages are eaten up by taxation to pay for social safety nets and those nation's respective welfare programs

I did too in 1969

yeah----then------It took me thru college ------sorta-----along with a NATIONAL DEFENSE scholarship

still not bad------six times 1.25 is 7.25---plus the half-----~ 65 cents ----6.90------times
are better now

America's Minimum Wage is an embarrassment. Most of the world is shocked that such a wealthy nation treats its workers so poorly. It's so bad, even Walmart finally got shamed into paying its workers more.
BTW, those higher wages are eaten up by taxation to pay for social safety nets and those nation's respective welfare programs

The problem is that we have done away with our manufacturing industry and there aren't enough jobs for everyone, especially good paying ones.

What's next? A degree in cart pushing?

Smart business practices:

costco-vs-walmart-2012.jpg
COSTCO does not pay it's floor workers $17 per hour.

I did too in 1969

are better now

We should all be ashamed. Such vast wealth, and we shit on our workers. The rest of the world does look on with shock and shame.

are better now

The problem is that we have done away with our manufacturing industry and there aren't enough jobs for everyone, especially good paying ones.
No we haven't. There are fewer manufacturing jobs because where manpower was once needed has been replaced with technology. And gone are the days when a new HS grad could walk into a factory with no education or training and walk out 35 years later with a pension and a Timex....
IN today's manufacturing, workers are much more skilled. And they are required to have at least some higher education. Whether it be a two or four year degree or a trade school certificate.

are better now

No we haven't. There are fewer manufacturing jobs because where manpower was once needed has been replaced with technology. And gone are the days when a new HS grad could walk into a factory with no education or training and walk out 35 years later with a pension and a Timex....
IN today's manufacturing, workers are much more skilled. And they are required to have at least some higher education. Whether it be a two or four year degree or a trade school certificate.

We hear that, but what are you gonna do with half the country working low-skilled entry-level jobs? You gonna let them starve to death? I'd rather they be working making a living wage, than relying on Government to survive. If they're working making a living wage, they'll put money back into the economy.

are better now

We should all be ashamed. Such vast wealth, and we shit on our workers. The rest of the world does look on with shock and shame.
Again....YOUR opinion.....Of course you are free to move to one these low skill worker utopias

are better now

We hear that, but what are you gonna do with half the country working low-skilled entry-level jobs? You gonna let them starve to death? I'd rather they be working making a living wage, than relying on Government to survive. If they're working making a living wage, they'll put money back into the economy.

Exactly. When their employers cheap out, then we the taxpayers end up picking up the slack. :rolleyes-41:

are better now

Again....YOUR opinion.....Of course you are free to move to one these low skill worker utopias

Our Minimum Wage is a terrible embarrassment. Other nations with far less wealth treat their workers better. Canada for instance, has an $11/12 Minimum Wage. Their Businesses and economy hasn't collapsed. In fact, they have a balanced budget and low Unemployment.

Forum List

Back