Walmart...

When I asked the self-serve "attendant" about it, she told me that they went to an all self-serve model after the minimum wage became the latest perceived panacea for the left. There were about 20 checkout lanes. There's only one person overseeing the self-checkout lanes.

So let me get this straight

Walmart had cashiers when your daughter made $6.25 but now do self serve when minimum wage is $7.25?

Walmart went self serve because the technology is there .....regardless of prevailing wage

The minimum wage in Ohio is $8.80, not 7.25

When I was growing up, there were elevator operators in all the high-rise office buildings in Downtown Pittsburgh. When you drove into a "gas" station, someone came out and cleaned your windshield, checked your oil and tire pressure, and collected the money, all without charge and certainly with no expectation of getting a tip. When you went into a retail store, there was a clerk on duty who helped you find and select your purchase.

Crappy jobs all, and all gone now.

When the cost of any commodity goes up (human effort being a commodity), the users of that commodity look for ways to use less of it, or stop using it altogether.

Human nature.

If a $15/hr minimum wage is good, then why be niggardly about it? Why not $25? $50?

You can't buy a house on $15/hr, or put a kid through college.

I wouldn't feel sorry for jobless cashiers. They probably vote Democrat.
You probably feel sorry for the richest family in the world, the Waltons.

Yea, they should be even more wealthy, if it weren't for those goddamn greedy cashiers!
LOL Remember when the dope AOC caused Amazon, I think, to pull a big business with high paying jobs from her district...............LOLOLOL

You stoopid fucks voted for this shit. A ton of 100k jobs gone.LOLOL
You made pee nop angry. Thanks.

If Walmart is having a hard time it's not because of wages its because they are losing their market supremacy to Amazon. Both are looking to to make human workers a thing of the past. Every job that can be mechanized eventually will be because it's even cheaper than slave labor. Flesh and blood cannot compete with that.

If Walmart is having a hard time it's not because of wages its because they are losing their market supremacy to Amazon. Both are looking to to make human workers a thing of the past. Every job that can be mechanized eventually will be because it's even cheaper than slave labor. Flesh and blood cannot compete with that.

Oh, I don't see Walmart having a hard time at all. The store was packed. The parking lot of my local store in Florida is always packed. Our store in Florida has increased the number of self-serve lanes after Florida voters approved a $15 minimum wage.

Simply put, the skill level of the job is not worthy of $15 an hour. So, in response, Walmart will invest in these self-serve aisles which will pay for themselves in pretty short order...

When I asked the self-serve "attendant" about it, she told me that they went to an all self-serve model after the minimum wage became the latest perceived panacea for the left. There were about 20 checkout lanes. There's only one person overseeing the self-checkout lanes.

Walmart had cashiers when your daughter made $6.25 but now do self serve when minimum wage is $7.25?

Walmart went self serve because the technology is there .....regardless of prevailing wage

Maybe, maybe not.

There weren't too many places which had self-serve lanes when my daughter worked at Walmart. Walmart's had self-service lanes for a while now.

But this was every single fucking lane.

There was not a single cashier ringing up sales...

Oh, I don't see Walmart having a hard time at all. The store was packed. The parking lot of my local store in Florida is always packed. Our store in Florida has increased the number of self-serve lanes after Florida voters approved a $15 minimum wage.

Simply put, the skill level of the job is not worthy of $15 an hour. So, in response, Walmart will invest in these self-serve aisles which will pay for themselves in pretty short order...
Yes we need to make sure all the profits flow up to the Walton family, who enjoy their many mansions, private jets, and exotic vacations.

Whoop de doo!

You think Walmart is going to self serve over an additional $1.55 an hour?

They would do the same at $2.00 an hour

When I was growing up, there were elevator operators in all the high-rise office buildings in Downtown Pittsburgh. When you drove into a "gas" station, someone came out and cleaned your windshield, checked your oil and tire pressure, and collected the money, all without charge and certainly with no expectation of getting a tip. When you went into a retail store, there was a clerk on duty who helped you find and select your purchase.

When the cost of any commodity goes up (human effort being a commodity), the users of that commodity look for ways to use less of it, or stop using it altogether.

Human nature.

If a $15/hr minimum wage is good, then why be niggardly about it? Why not $25? $50?

Tell that to a person working a MW job and see what they say. Paying $15 per hour could make a big difference in their lives, but you don’t care about your fellow Americans. Fuck them. Right?

Whoop de doo!

You think Walmart is going to self serve over an additional $1.55 an hour?

They would do the same at $2.00 an hour
Good grief, Flunky. It's an additional $7.75 an hour. 15 minus your 7.25 is 7.75.

Get a clue.

Yes we need to make sure all the profits flow up to the Walton family, who enjoy their many mansions, private jets, and exotic vacations.
I'm not sure what your point is.

The Walton family makes a shit-ton of money. They figured out a formula for raking in mountains of cash while building a fiercly loyal customer base. Good for them, man. American dream and all that.

But the fact of the matter is that paying someone $15 an hour to run a cash register is stupid. I'm not sure how Target does it; they do have fewer employees than Walmart. Walmart simply decided that it would not be dictated to. As much as I dislike Walmart, I applaud them for that...

Human nature.

Tell that to a person working a MW job and see what they say. Paying $15 per hour could make a big difference in their lives, but you don’t care about your fellow Americans. Fuck them. Right?

When I was a teen working as a Pump Man for Exxon, sure I would have loved to have the corporation pay me $15 / hour instead of the $1.60 they were ponying up. It would have made a big difference in my life as a teen.

But it just wasn't viable for XOM.

Are you so naive that you believe the costs of everything else won't go up a commensurate amount?

A pizza parlor owner who's currently paying someone $10 an hour is most certainly going to raise the cost of his pies when he has to pay his employees $15 an hour. When the kid working the counter at Jiffy Chef starts getting $15 an hour as opposed to $10, do you think the owner's not going to raise his prices to cover it?

Or do you think employers are just going to sit back and absorb it? Because I can assure you, as the owner of two successful businesses, that's just not going to happen...

It's American capitalism you are mad about but you just might burn in Hell if you criticize it.

Correction, they went self serve because the technology is CHEAPER than human workers. That happens when either the cost of technology is low or the cost of humans is high.

Human nature.

When I was a teen working as a Pump Man for Exxon, sure I would have loved to have the corporation pay me $15 / hour instead of the $1.60 they were ponying up. It would have made a big difference in my life as a teen.

But it just wasn't viable for XOM.
Imagine what the MW would be if it kept up with inflation or productivity? Do you have any idea?

Maybe, maybe not.

There weren't too many places which had self-serve lanes when my daughter worked at Walmart. Walmart's had self-service lanes for a while now.

But this was every single fucking lane.

There was not a single cashier ringing up sales...

Where I live in Florida we have had self checkouts long before the voter's voted for $15 minimum wage.

Hell, they have been hiring at $11 an hour for a year or so and an average worker already makes $15 per hour.

Forum List

Back