Walmart...

Automation is going to happen regardless of the minimum wage and it always has. A higher minimum wage may hasten it, but it's not the cause of it.

People forget that businesses don't exist to provide you with a job. A job is a byproduct of their existence.
You may accept a nation full of poor desperate people, but I’d rather not. Have you consider this?
Who said I did? I'm merely pointing out a fact no matter how inconvenient that may be to your world view.
One can’t operate a business without workers. Right?
Hence, as I said, jobs are a byproduct of a business's existence, but the owner's sole purpose of going into business wasn't to give people jobs. It was to provide a product or service. Since in most cases that can't be done alone, you need to employ people as a result. What you agree to receive from your employer in exchange for your labor is between the two of you.

If Walmart is having a hard time it's not because of wages its because they are losing their market supremacy to Amazon. Both are looking to to make human workers a thing of the past. Every job that can be mechanized eventually will be because it's even cheaper than slave labor. Flesh and blood cannot compete with that.

Oh, I don't see Walmart having a hard time at all. The store was packed. The parking lot of my local store in Florida is always packed. Our store in Florida has increased the number of self-serve lanes after Florida voters approved a $15 minimum wage.

Simply put, the skill level of the job is not worthy of $15 an hour. So, in response, Walmart will invest in these self-serve aisles which will pay for themselves in pretty short order...
It's American capitalism you are mad about but you just might burn in Hell if you criticize it.

Oh, no, I'm not mad at all. I was merely making an observation.

In Florida, we're going to be going to $15 an hour eventually. This will have a definite adverse effect on some of my employees. My janitation crew has been told that when minimum wage hits $13 an hour (September, 20, 2024) they will be let go. It just doesn't make sense to pay them that much when I can contract it out for a lot less. Since making that announcement two people have moved to different departments, and I suspect there will be more...
I live in Florida too. It's expensive here. I seriously don't know how you keep people working for you at such low wages. Do you keep them chained in the back room? I have to pay people more than that just to help me, the contractor, pick up trash off our construction sites.

If Walmart is having a hard time it's not because of wages its because they are losing their market supremacy to Amazon. Both are looking to to make human workers a thing of the past. Every job that can be mechanized eventually will be because it's even cheaper than slave labor. Flesh and blood cannot compete with that.

Oh, I don't see Walmart having a hard time at all. The store was packed. The parking lot of my local store in Florida is always packed. Our store in Florida has increased the number of self-serve lanes after Florida voters approved a $15 minimum wage.

Simply put, the skill level of the job is not worthy of $15 an hour. So, in response, Walmart will invest in these self-serve aisles which will pay for themselves in pretty short order...
Yes we need to make sure all the profits flow up to the Walton family, who enjoy their many mansions, private jets, and exotic vacations.
Why do you insist a company has to pay more to get something done than they need to? Would you insist they pay an army of people to mop the floors on hands and knees when they don't need to?
Because workers deserve a good wage. Why do you like living in the richest nation in the world but where millions of workers get paid poorly, while the ultra rich make enormous sums of cash?
I like living here because I can still, with the right combination of factors, rise above where I started from, or choose to trade financial success for other things. IOW, freedom is good. The reality is, technology is rapidly rendering low wage manual laborers superfluous.

Now, forcing businesses to pay artificially high wages for jobs that are not worth that much is simple welfare, and if society believes everyone should be paid more than what they produce, it should be up to society to levy taxes, collect them and write the checks. Don't turn business into welfare distribution centers.

Because workers deserve a good wage.

They "deserve" it? Why?
You might look at Western Europe. Their workers are unionized, have HC, and job security. Oh but we can’t have that in the US. The rich deserve all the profits.

Would you like to respond again, or are you satisfied with failing to answer the question?

Why does someone "deserve" a good paying job?
Because it’s the American Way.

Automation is going to happen regardless of the minimum wage and it always has. A higher minimum wage may hasten it, but it's not the cause of it.

People forget that businesses don't exist to provide you with a job. A job is a byproduct of their existence.
You may accept a nation full of poor desperate people, but I’d rather not. Have you consider this?
Who said I did? I'm merely pointing out a fact no matter how inconvenient that may be to your world view.
One can’t operate a business without workers. Right?
Hence, as I said, jobs are a byproduct of a business's existence, but the owner's sole purpose of going into business wasn't to give people jobs. It was to provide a product or service. Since in most cases that can't be done alone, you need to employ people as a result. What you agree to receive from your employer in exchange for your labor is between the two of you.
Actually that's not true.

When I opened my businesses, it wasn't to make sure people had jobs or so I could provide a product or service. It was to make money.

Now, I enjoy the fact that my business allows me to employ people, and that the services and goods my companies provide are made available to the public but, make no mistake, those are merely the vehicles I choose to make money with. I don't have a responsibility to keep anyone working, nor do I have an obligation to provide goods or services to the public.

But, both of those are an integral part of my business model, so there they are...

They "deserve" it? Why?
You might look at Western Europe. Their workers are unionized, have HC, and job security. Oh but we can’t have that in the US. The rich deserve all the profits.

Would you like to respond again, or are you satisfied with failing to answer the question?

Yeah, not so much...

They "deserve" it? Why?

Entitlement culture. Period.

Yesterday I stopped into a Walmart in Wooster, Ohio to pick up a cheap gym bag. I actually found a pretty nice one, not exactly "cheap", but not outlandish. I figured I'd scored and headed to the front of the store.

When I got there, I was shocked to see that not a single check-out lane had an actual cashier. Every single lane was self-serve. Every. Single. One.

Years ago, my then 16 year old daughter made $6.25 an hour as a cashier for Walmart. As long as her grades were good, we allowed her to work as many hours as she was offered. She wasn't getting rich, obviously, but she had her own money to do with as she pleased.

When I asked the self-serve "attendant" about it, she told me that they went to an all self-serve model after the minimum wage became the latest perceived panacea for the left. There were about 20 checkout lanes. There's only one person overseeing the self-checkout lanes.

That means that 19 people who could've had cashier jobs have been replaced by technology.

That's very good news for Walmart, and very shitty news for the 19 people who could've had those jobs...
Walmarts have been going that way for the last decade. It's nothing new.

Actually that's not true.

When I opened my businesses, it wasn't to make sure people had jobs or so I could provide a product or service. It was to make money.

Semantics

They "deserve" it? Why?

Yeah, not so much...
Very true. It’s the American Way to make sure workers are paid shit and the senior people get fabulously wealthy.

Yes we need to make sure all the profits flow up to the Walton family, who enjoy their many mansions, private jets, and exotic vacations.
Why do you insist a company has to pay more to get something done than they need to? Would you insist they pay an army of people to mop the floors on hands and knees when they don't need to?
Because workers deserve a good wage. Why do you like living in the richest nation in the world but where millions of workers get paid poorly, while the ultra rich make enormous sums of cash?
I like living here because I can still, with the right combination of factors, rise above where I started from, or choose to trade financial success for other things. IOW, freedom is good. The reality is, technology is rapidly rendering low wage manual laborers superfluous.

Now, forcing businesses to pay artificially high wages for jobs that are not worth that much is simple welfare, and if society believes everyone should be paid more than what they produce, it should be up to society to levy taxes, collect them and write the checks. Don't turn business into welfare distribution centers.
Minimum wage is low enough in many places that people can still get food stamps. That is a direct government subsidy for paying people chickenfeed.

You gotta love right wingers and their "Fuck the Worker" attitude.

Especially when most of them are workers themselves.
You gotta love left wingers and their "i deserve this simply for existing" attitude.

When I was growing up, there were elevator operators in all the high-rise office buildings in Downtown Pittsburgh. When you drove into a "gas" station, someone came out and cleaned your windshield, checked your oil and tire pressure, and collected the money, all without charge and certainly with no expectation of getting a tip. When you went into a retail store, there was a clerk on duty who helped you find and select your purchase.

Crappy jobs all, and all gone now.

When the cost of any commodity goes up (human effort being a commodity), the users of that commodity look for ways to use less of it, or stop using it altogether.

Human nature.

If a $15/hr minimum wage is good, then why be niggardly about it? Why not $25? $50?

You can't buy a house on $15/hr, or put a kid through college.
Tell that to a person working a MW job and see what they say. Paying $15 per hour could make a big difference in their lives, but you don’t care about your fellow Americans. Fuck them. Right?

When I was a teen working as a Pump Man for Exxon, sure I would have loved to have the corporation pay me $15 / hour instead of the $1.60 they were ponying up. It would have made a big difference in my life as a teen.

But it just wasn't viable for XOM.

Those same Gas Stations went self serve when min wage was $2.00 an hour

They do it because the technology is there
And because someone in a back office ran the numbers and convinced the executives that the self serve pumps would pay for themselves within a reasonable amount of time. They would not have automated if the self serve pumps were more expensive.

Minimum wage is low enough in many places that people can still get food stamps. That is a direct government subsidy for paying people chickenfeed.
Its a subsidy for having more children than you can afford. Basically, getting free food for being a dumbass.

I wouldn't feel sorry for jobless cashiers. They probably vote Democrat.
It's a bit counterintuitive, innit? They get hosed and still vote Democrat. U.S. Jews are often the same way.
Why? The poor republicans "get hosed" by the party at every turn yet continue to vote for them.

so-which-republican-are-you_o_3377699727001094.jpg

And therein lies the key, "in many places". States and cities are free to set their MW where it works best for them. Like I said, if society thinks everyone should earn a basic income, society should set it up. Tax the crap out of everyone or just print the money until inflation kills everything and print the checks.

Of which Wal-Mart benefits greatly. They don't want to pay people enough to live on, they want taxpayers to subsidize this and have Wal Mart benefit from it.

Its a subsidy for having more children than you can afford. Basically, getting free food for being a dumbass.
Bullshit food stamps are a subsidy to companies that don't pay their employees enough to live.

Forum List

Back