Wanna feel REALLY old, REALLY fast? Watch this...

I generally don't dine in places that serve your food through a window, so yeah, I admit that I don't think about that much.

But yeah, lots of those windows do have tip jars. I just went through one with a friend and she put a dollar tip in the jar when she was served her $10 coffee drink. LOL!!!!!

I've never seen that, but I don't buy $12 cups of hot brown water, so that may be it.

Metro Detroit isnā€™t Detroit. Iā€™ll put the wealth of Oakland county, mi up against your county I bet we win. Itā€™s where all the whites moves during white flight.
Been on business trips to Detroit several times... for sure the bad parts are BAD parts.
But there is an element of awesomeness in Detroit, the people are friendly and the city government is very favorable to small businesses and startups.

Sure. Why wouldn't anyone? Why would I throw away a perfectly fine working alarm clock? Having all your needs centralized on a smartphone just means that:
  1. All you need is for ONE THING to break or malfunction to have all aspects of your life screwed up!
  2. All they need is to CONTROL one thing and they run your life.

My main calendar is on the wall of my kitchen. I also carry a pocket calendar and what we used to call an address book in my purse. There will never be a smart anything in my home. Life is possible without the Holy Glowing Rectangle.

Larry D. Rosen Ph.D. is an expert on that.

Been on business trips to Detroit several times... for sure the bad parts are BAD parts.
But there is an element of awesomeness in Detroit, the people are friendly and the city government is very favorable to small businesses and startups.

For now.

When I was young, I had been a server. I can tell you, servers always prefer cash, always.

Tips in cash, can't be tracked by Uncle Sam, so. . . they don't really have to file taxes on those. Plus they get paid at the end of the night. Some places will give servers their credit card tips at the end of the night, some will wait and add them to the pay check.

Cash is definitely KING.

I always pay cash when I go out to eat, which is rare. . . It is only polite to your server.

Whenever I go someplace to eat, if I have cash on me, I pay the bill in cash along with tip. If I don't have enough cash on me, I pay the bill with my credit card (easy to keep track of my spending), but I will also leave a couple of bucks in cash as a tip. Kinda cool to watch a server think you stiffed them on the tip, and then be surprised when they get the tray back with a couple of bucks on it.

As food prices go up with inflation, the cost of dining does as well and I think they still calculate tips by a percentage of the bill. At least I do. Actual hourly wage is inconsequential, and the ones whining about needing $15/hr are the ones whose service ethic is so shitty that their tips are poor to match.

Hell, I even tip tradesmen who come to my home -- the guy who inspects the furnace or hangs the new blinds or changes the water filters -- because I live in a non-union state.

QUESTION: Do people still give a gratuity to your mail carriers and UPS drivers at Christmas time? Especially since Amazon and "covid" got us all hooked on mail order, they work so much harder. I live in a very small town so I always have the same UPS guy and mail carriers and I always make sure they know how appreciated they are. Remember when we all got the paper delivered and the milkman came every week? The got tipped at Christmas too.

When I was in Amarillo, I had the same mail dude who always delivered to my house. Tex and I would stand on my porch and shoot the breeze on days when he wasn't rushed, and it was a pretty nice part of my day. And, whenever Thanksgiving or Christmas came around, my room mate and I ALWAYS made sure to give him a gift card of some kind (usually a restaurant card or VISA gift card). After awhile, he started bringing me small presents (dude even figured out my birthday, which was neat, never found out his though), and the gift exchange was a nice little tradition between me and him. Was really bummed out when he moved. Especially because then they started rotating mail carriers, so I never really got a chance to know the new ones.

Yes hey do. And itā€™s been bugging me. They hand me a tablet and it asks 20%, 15%,10% or other. I hit other, no tip then I tip them $2. Even if the bill is $100. Iā€™m not giving 15% of pick up. $15? Iā€™m no sucker. Thats my hard earned money. Theyā€™ve already jacked up the prices and portions smaller.

Whenever I go to a place like Subway or Dunkin Donuts and pay with a card, I usually hit the "no tip" button, but leave a couple of bucks in the tip jar. I then tell them I do it that way so that management (the corporation) can't get ahold of their tips, because it's THEM who are making my stuff, not the business.

Whenever I go someplace to eat, if I have cash on me, I pay the bill in cash along with tip. If I don't have enough cash on me, I pay the bill with my credit card (easy to keep track of my spending), but I will also leave a couple of bucks in cash as a tip. Kinda cool to watch a server think you stiffed them on the tip, and then be surprised when they get the tray back with a couple of bucks on it.

When I was in Amarillo, I had the same mail dude who always delivered to my house. Tex and I would stand on my porch and shoot the breeze on days when he wasn't rushed, and it was a pretty nice part of my day. And, whenever Thanksgiving or Christmas came around, my room mate and I ALWAYS made sure to give him a gift card of some kind (usually a restaurant card or VISA gift card). After awhile, he started bringing me small presents (dude even figured out my birthday, which was neat, never found out his though), and the gift exchange was a nice little tradition between me and him. Was really bummed out when he moved. Especially because then they started rotating mail carriers, so I never really got a chance to know the new ones.

I've got two regular carriers who are both great! Small town living! We need to never stop thanking them. Also, my UPS guy is the same guy all the time.

I keep kicking myself because our last winter was so bad and it never occurred to me that my meter readers didn't appreciate the fact that I spaced out clearing a path through the snow so I need to remember them at Christmas as well. Above and beyond.

I still use a regular alarm clock.
Still use a alarm clock.
Why would I throw away a perfectly fine working alarm clock?
7re92o.jpg

Don't worry - I am smart enough to use my I-phone 8, but I don't think that my Apple-phone is smart.
BTW - don't you have landlines in the USA anymore? in the worst case sccccg,.. sccccg,.. sccccg.... :D
Some of us do, some of us don't.

For twenty years, while I raised my kid, I lived in a house and in village which did. That house was destroyed in a flood, so I had to move to an appartment.

My father had worked in the tel-com industry, so I have always used landlines. Those lines and dial tones, have have a separate power source. I have always preferred them, b/c if power goes out, they tend to still be operable. You can still communicate. The only thing that is more reliable is short wave, IMO.

My new place, I have a "land line," but it isn't really. The only "land line," available at my apartment complex, is (VoIP) I looked at the phone jack, it is no longer operable.

:sigh2:

Don't worry - I am smart enough to use my I-phone 8, but I don't think that my Apple-phone is smart.
BTW - don't you have landlines in the USA anymore? in the worst case sccccg,.. sccccg,.. sccccg.... :D

Yes, in some places we have landlines and in some places they actually still work when the power goes out! I have an ancient Trimline corded phone and I have tested it and sure enough, it works when the power is out!

And I even remember the time when Ma Bell was THE nationwide telephone company!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh! A simpler time.

When I was young, I had been a server. I can tell you, servers always prefer cash, always.

Tips in cash, can't be tracked by Uncle Sam, so. . . they don't really have to file taxes on those. Plus they get paid at the end of the night. Some places will give servers their credit card tips at the end of the night, some will wait and add them to the pay check.

Cash is definitely KING.

I always pay cash when I go out to eat, which is rare. . . It is only polite to your server.

Dont I know it!!!
When I was a Bartender I never made over $20 bucks in tips a night........ :auiqs.jpg:
On a good Friday or Saturday night it was common to make $500 to $800 bucks.
That was more than enough for rent in one night. The electric bill was only $50 bucks.
And this was in the 80's!!!!

Yes, in some places we have landlines and in some places they actually still work when the power goes out! I have an ancient Trimline corded phone and I have tested it and sure enough, it works when the power is out!

I have one, and yes, it works even in power outages. I don't have a mobile, but my wife does, as a safety measure.

Yanno...................I kept a land line all the way up until around 2002, but then decided that having both a cell phone and a land line was an extra expense that I didn't need, so I got rid of the land line.

Then...................I used a Nokia up until I had to get a flip phone because AT&T was upgrading their network, so I had to switch the Nokia for a digital flip phone around 2015.

Used the flip phone all the way up until 2021, when a friend of mine sent me their old smart phone to try to encourage me to get with the modern times. Slowly, (and with much trial and error), I eventually got to where I could use most of the functions of it, and ever since I've figured out how to use it, my life has gotten MUCH easier. I never get lost anymore because Google Maps is always there to show me where I need to go. Up until the smart phone, I used paper maps and travel atlases.
I also like being able to use it to check my bank and credit card accounts with the various apps, as well as like the fact that if any of my cards get lost or stolen, I can report it immediately via the app to keep people from getting into my accounts. Also is much more convenient than calling up the touch tone line for checking accounts, because I can see the transactions all at once rather than having to input each one separately via touch tone.

I also like the fact that I can access my YouTube account via my phone, and play it via Bluetooth over my car stereo. I don't think I've listened to FM radio since I got my smartphone and a YouTube account. There's also the fact that I have the ability to send and receive calls via a Bluetooth device in my car which makes getting calls while on the road much easier and convenient, as well as safer since I can do it hands free.

Then............there are the "take up time" apps, like movies via Amazon Prime, games, checking out the 'net or Facebook that I can use while waiting in line for something (bank, take out food, DMV, etc.).

I used to be a Luddite and said I would never own a smart phone, but lemmie tell ya................with all the things I can do with it now, I'm wondering why I waited so long, as well as sometimes finding myself wishing that I would have had something like the smart phone I have now back when I was still in the Navy. Would have made getting around cities, communicating with people and a whole bunch of stuff a hell of a lot easier, but, I still had fun doing things the old fashioned way (phrase book and maps).

The only thing I don't like is that once a week on Sundays, I get a weekly report telling me how much I used it, and what apps I used. Sometimes it shocks me and I put my phone away for a few days. Spending over 4 hours/day using my phone is just too much for me to be comfortable with.

Forum List

Back