Washing machines/dryers prices up 17% under Trump (thank you, tariffs)

There you go again with your unions bad thing. If it weren't for unions you would be working for minimum wage with a mandatory 60 hr work week. He'll if you were union you would have health benefits, thank your company for the lack there of though.

Yes, unions were valuable until 70 or so years ago.

What industries have benefited from unions in the past 20 or so years? None, zip, nada.

Maybe we examine exactly where we have trade deficits instead of listening to Trump tell us that we are getting screwed by everybody when we are not.

Where are we NOT getting screwed by unfair tariffs or government subsidized products such as steel? Please be specific, not just your talking points from George Soros.

I don't pay attention to Soros.

You simply lap up what those he pays feeds you.

My employer told us repeatedly, if we ever decide to unionize, he's closing the company. That's what unions have done to tens of millions of people.

I'm glad you think your crystal ball is so accurate that you know what would have happened without unions. Have unions done some good in the past? I believe so. I'm willing to admit that. But you refuse to admit the harm they brought us.

In my line of work and personal experience with unions, I could write a book on the subject. If I went to a company I knew nothing about, I could tell you within ten minutes if they were union or not simply by how the employees worked. It's not a special talent, anybody could do it. Union employees were substandard to non-union employees every time it's compared. It's one of the reasons my employer quit accepting deliveries to UAW plants. There were times I was there for half the day trying to get unloaded; something a non-union crew could have done in a half-hour.

Believe your stupidity, I would work you under the table and have health benefits to boot. Your a tool, of course your company would close they want to pay you far less in wages and benies and that's exactly what they are doing. Stay stupid and without health insurance.

Actually in our business, most don't include healthcare benefits since the big-eared creep ruined our country. Prior to that, they had no choice.

But you have to play the cards you are handed in life. The only reason my employer would close down is because he wouldn't be able to compete with non-union companies. Union companies can't compete against non-union companies because non-union operations can produce products or services at a lower price.

The best we can do now is never allow Democrats to have leadership again so they don't screw things up even more for the working people.

Funny Teamsters have health benies and pensions.

And teamsters are getting smaller all the time. Outside of government, unions are pretty much a thing of the past. The only reason they are still in government is because it's a monopoly and no competition.

But they have benies, how are your benies? You know those outdated unions with their benefits, higher wages and pensions. How dare the working man ask for those things and all around better conditions. The horror. Please please stay without health benies it is what you deserve.

How have those unions worked out for Michigan? Where did those jobs go? And they're making quite good wages today too.

Yes, but the real problem is that they don't get an education in fields in demand. They take classes that are easy or less challenging, and then get out and find there are no jobs because a lot of younger people did the same thing.

One of my tenants told me she was going to part-time to attend college for better work. I advised her the first thing she needs to do is look in the want ads and see what's in demand. She took some courses in college previously to learn how to draw blood in hospital labs. She got out and found there were no jobs in that field, and the ones that were out there didn't pay very much.

People flood the fields that they hear have good potential. Then those fields are oversupplied, and people are left out.

Because there are not enough good jobs. Why did phlebotomy fill up? Lord knows it can't be that great.

Which is why people need to get an education in fields of demand. Today few want to get an education in fields that also require physical work. Work like construction, HVAC, plumbing, electrician. They want to go to school, come out and get a job sitting behind a desk.

It's the same thing when I attended electronics school back in the early 80's. It's very difficult and all math, but regardless of the cost and complexity, the jobs didn't pay squat. Why? Because everybody and their mother was interested in electronics.

We are only worth as much as our employer can pay somebody else to do the same job and same quality of work. That's how wages are determined. It works fine and dandy until you throw a monkey wrench into the system like foreigners or unions. But outside of that, the supply and demand system is the best for employment.

If the overall pie is shrinking, then you are competing in a game that is going to have a lot of losers, no matter what.

You are conflating individual strategies for success, with good policies.

Telling an individual to go into a field that is in demand, is good advice.

It does not help the population as a whole, if the job market sucks ass.

How can you claim the job market sucks ass at 3.8% unemployment?

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Quality over quantity.

I want rising WAGES.

Quite simple, increase your value to your employer or train for a higher paying job.

There you go again with your unions bad thing. If it weren't for unions you would be working for minimum wage with a mandatory 60 hr work week. He'll if you were union you would have health benefits, thank your company for the lack there of though.

Gee, the last time I worked a 40 hour a week job was when I was in college. That's never been enough for me.

First%20part%20time%20job-S.jpg

Yes, unions were valuable until 70 or so years ago.

What industries have benefited from unions in the past 20 or so years? None, zip, nada.

You do know that unions are first supposed to benefit the members most don't you? But as an example it benefits the contractors in the construction industry plenty. They have a labor pool that they can pull from all over the country.
Example for innstance, if contractor XYZ has a job in Big Sky Montana for instanc. And by big I mean let's say they need about 2500 steamfitters for the job. The local there let's say has 500 members. The local then reaches out to all locals all over the country to fill those jobs and/or any other jobs they may need. Beneficial to both members and contractor.

Believe your stupidity, I would work you under the table and have health benefits to boot. Your a tool, of course your company would close they want to pay you far less in wages and benies and that's exactly what they are doing. Stay stupid and without health insurance.

Actually in our business, most don't include healthcare benefits since the big-eared creep ruined our country. Prior to that, they had no choice.

But you have to play the cards you are handed in life. The only reason my employer would close down is because he wouldn't be able to compete with non-union companies. Union companies can't compete against non-union companies because non-union operations can produce products or services at a lower price.

The best we can do now is never allow Democrats to have leadership again so they don't screw things up even more for the working people.

And teamsters are getting smaller all the time. Outside of government, unions are pretty much a thing of the past. The only reason they are still in government is because it's a monopoly and no competition.

But they have benies, how are your benies? You know those outdated unions with their benefits, higher wages and pensions. How dare the working man ask for those things and all around better conditions. The horror. Please please stay without health benies it is what you deserve.

How have those unions worked out for Michigan? Where did those jobs go? And they're making quite good wages today too.

Yup companies did not put any money back into the facilities that they had in many industries. And much of that was inflexibility of the unions to allow them to upgrade them because of the loss of jobs to come. However 87% of the manufacturing jobs were lost to automation not do to moving overseas.
An example, Goodyear moved a plant to the south sometime in the 60's, to avoid paying higher union wages and benies of course. Then by the 80's shuttered that non-union plant to move to South America (Brazil maybe) after operating there for maybe 10 or so years they moved to Southeast Asia. You know why? Yup because it was cheaper to do over there. Why did they leave the southeast USA, and South America those plants were not union? Corporate greed my friend that's why. For people like you and Ray Ray corporate greed is great, but do not let the working class make to much money. They might get uppity and want more.

Gee, the last time I worked a 40 hour a week job was when I was in college. That's never been enough for me.

Yup when I go out of town to work it is never for less than 6-10's.
If you worked union maybe you could make enough on 40's, just saying.

Yup companies did not put any money back into the facilities that they had in many industries. And much of that was inflexibility of the unions to allow them to upgrade them because of the loss of jobs to come. However 87% of the manufacturing jobs were lost to automation not do to moving overseas.
An example, Goodyear moved a plant to the south sometime in the 60's, to avoid paying higher union wages and benies of course. Then by the 80's shuttered that non-union plant to move to South America (Brazil maybe) after operating there for maybe 10 or so years they moved to Southeast Asia. You know why? Yup because it was cheaper to do over there. Why did they leave the southeast USA, and South America those plants were not union? Corporate greed my friend that's why. For people like you and Ray Ray corporate greed is great, but do not let the working class make to much money. They might get uppity and want more.

Actually it comes down to producing a product that costs low enough for people to buy. Everybody wants cheap products today and it's difficult to produce those products in the US, and impossible to produce them in the US with a union.

The problem our automotive companies had were the unions. My mechanic explained that the US puts their money into labor, wages and benefits. Japanese cars put their money into quality parts. So Toyota can offer 100,000 mile 7 year warranty that most American made cars can't. So years ago I took my mechanics advice and bought Toyota.

I've had two since then, and until last week, neither ever broke down. Last week a power steering hose went, but what the hell, the car has just a little over 100,000 miles and outside of replacing the battery once, it's the first repair I ever had done on the car.

Actually it comes down to producing a product that costs low enough for people to buy. Everybody wants cheap products today and it's difficult to produce those products in the US, and impossible to produce them in the US with a union.

The problem our automotive companies had were the unions. My mechanic explained that the US puts their money into labor, wages and benefits. Japanese cars put their money into quality parts. So Toyota can offer 100,000 mile 7 year warranty that most American made cars can't. So years ago I took my mechanics advice and bought Toyota.

I've had two since then, and until last week, neither ever broke down. Last week a power steering hose went, but what the hell, the car has just a little over 100,000 miles and outside of replacing the battery once, it's the first repair I ever had done on the car.

But they build very few cars here and the price doesn't go down it goes up and the companies pocket more money. I love how you are all for corporate greed but against better wages, benies and conditions for the worker. I have to leave in an hour or so to have a minor procedure done this morning. 80% of it paid for by my union supplied health and welfare.

I have a Chevy truck with over 200,000 miles on and have had nothing but normal maintenance issues and 1 fuel pump. Looking to get another next fall.

I remember the days when I thought putting in 50 to 70 hours a week was a badge of honor. Thank god those days are long gone.

I choose my degree, my career field and my employer specifically to avoid doing that anymore. My job serves one purpose only, to provide for me and my family. I give them exactly as much time as we agreed upon when I was hired. I am very good at my job and do not need extra hours to get it done.

Only 17% that's not bad, I was figuring at least 20%. Bodes well for there being enough manufacturing in the US to ride a tariff war out \o/

Lets see what it does in other areas.

Plenty of them are not. THey got degrees and training, and the jobs are not there.

Their student debt remains.

Yes, but the real problem is that they don't get an education in fields in demand. They take classes that are easy or less challenging, and then get out and find there are no jobs because a lot of younger people did the same thing.

One of my tenants told me she was going to part-time to attend college for better work. I advised her the first thing she needs to do is look in the want ads and see what's in demand. She took some courses in college previously to learn how to draw blood in hospital labs. She got out and found there were no jobs in that field, and the ones that were out there didn't pay very much.

People flood the fields that they hear have good potential. Then those fields are oversupplied, and people are left out.

Because there are not enough good jobs. Why did phlebotomy fill up? Lord knows it can't be that great.

Which is why people need to get an education in fields of demand. Today few want to get an education in fields that also require physical work. Work like construction, HVAC, plumbing, electrician. They want to go to school, come out and get a job sitting behind a desk.

It's the same thing when I attended electronics school back in the early 80's. It's very difficult and all math, but regardless of the cost and complexity, the jobs didn't pay squat. Why? Because everybody and their mother was interested in electronics.

We are only worth as much as our employer can pay somebody else to do the same job and same quality of work. That's how wages are determined. It works fine and dandy until you throw a monkey wrench into the system like foreigners or unions. But outside of that, the supply and demand system is the best for employment.

If the overall pie is shrinking, then you are competing in a game that is going to have a lot of losers, no matter what.

I think the job market is fine, it's just that as a nation, we've become cheap.

Both my niece and nephew graduated college with massive debts. My nephew earned a Master and is doing fine. He works at a school for troubled children. My niece? Not so well. She graduated with a biology degree hoping to get into medical laboratory work. She's been a waitress for the last seven years. She even moved to Florida because they have better opportunities for the work she's trying to get. No luck yet.

And so much for people just sitting on their asses.

I'm not much of a college guy, so when I decided to make a move from general labor, I chose truck driving. Why? Because even in the worst of times, somebody is always looking for an accomplished driver. I didn't want to be one of those guys on the news being interviewed saying somebody should create a job for something I knew how to do. I always wanted to be in demand.

If not for my medical problems, I would be doing much better today financially, but the point I'm making is that I chose a career that was always in demand. Anybody else can do the same. Currently we need over 30,000 new drivers that industry can't find. If you play your cards right, you can make some pretty good money driving a tractor-trailer.

Anyone can do the same. EVERYONE cannot do the same.

You are confusing advice for INDIVIDUALS, with policy for the workforce and nation as a whole.

Everything was fine until Ears invaded the White House. So what happened when unions made demands in the past? Companies moved out of state or country to get away from them.

Unions had their place and use at one time, just like the ice man and horse shoe maker. But that time is long gone, and people realize the damage unions have done to this country.

As for your minimum wage argument, it's nothing but bull. Most companies today are non-union and they don't pay minimum wage or force people to work 60 hours a week. That's boloney.

However that's the same argument my father kept making to me. He's a retired union bricklayer. One day when I got fed up with him telling me I wouldn't be making what I make today if not for unions, I told him i wouldn't have to make what I make today if I could afford one of the houses that he built.

That was the last time he used that argument with me.

If there were no unions you would be making minimum wage bud. If you were in the union you would have health insurance. Unions are needed for those things, if you were union you would have a pension as well and possibly an annuity. But you go on believing that the unions are bad and I will go on having health insurance.

My employer told us repeatedly, if we ever decide to unionize, he's closing the company. That's what unions have done to tens of millions of people.

I'm glad you think your crystal ball is so accurate that you know what would have happened without unions. Have unions done some good in the past? I believe so. I'm willing to admit that. But you refuse to admit the harm they brought us.

In my line of work and personal experience with unions, I could write a book on the subject. If I went to a company I knew nothing about, I could tell you within ten minutes if they were union or not simply by how the employees worked. It's not a special talent, anybody could do it. Union employees were substandard to non-union employees every time it's compared. It's one of the reasons my employer quit accepting deliveries to UAW plants. There were times I was there for half the day trying to get unloaded; something a non-union crew could have done in a half-hour.

I think conditions are ripe for unions to start coming back.

THe labor market is tightening up, but managers are stuck in the past, where they had unlimited access to cheap Third World labor, and could get away with being petty tyrants.

Workers with degrees, and technical skills are getting tired of being treated like burger flippers.

I remember the days when I thought putting in 50 to 70 hours a week was a badge of honor. Thank god those days are long gone.

I choose my degree, my career field and my employer specifically to avoid doing that anymore. My job serves one purpose only, to provide for me and my family. I give them exactly as much time as we agreed upon when I was hired. I am very good at my job and do not need extra hours to get it done.

When working out of town all expenses are on us. It would not pay to work less than 6-10's. I would prefer home and 40, but doesn't happen much in Akron Ohio. The union is what makes it possible to go anywhere in the USA and Canada for work to earn a living. Working extra OT is not a badge of honor, but a necessity to cover experiences on the road!

Gee, and yet Lowes and Home Depot and Canns are still running sales of 60% off'.

What 'Trade War'? the imaginary ones in the heads of cranks and Forbes staff writers?

Everything was fine until Ears invaded the White House. So what happened when unions made demands in the past? Companies moved out of state or country to get away from them.

Unions had their place and use at one time, just like the ice man and horse shoe maker. But that time is long gone, and people realize the damage unions have done to this country.

As for your minimum wage argument, it's nothing but bull. Most companies today are non-union and they don't pay minimum wage or force people to work 60 hours a week. That's boloney.

However that's the same argument my father kept making to me. He's a retired union bricklayer. One day when I got fed up with him telling me I wouldn't be making what I make today if not for unions, I told him i wouldn't have to make what I make today if I could afford one of the houses that he built.

If there were no unions you would be making minimum wage bud. If you were in the union you would have health insurance. Unions are needed for those things, if you were union you would have a pension as well and possibly an annuity. But you go on believing that the unions are bad and I will go on having health insurance.

THe labor market is tightening up, but managers are stuck in the past, where they had unlimited access to cheap Third World labor, and could get away with being petty tyrants.

Workers with degrees, and technical skills are getting tired of being treated like burger flippers.

I hope you are correct, it is something that would be best for the working class!

Yes. The Silly Con Valley sweatshops are always sniveling about 'labor shortages' that don't exist, and crying for more Green Cards, which is just an indentured servitude scam since the workers who come in on those can't quit after they're here because the companies aren't required to pay their way back home when they find out how crappy the management is, how extremely low the pay is compared to the cost of living there, even though they sound like vast fortunes compared to the local wages in their home countries, and the how grossly the jobs are misrepresented.

How can you claim the job market sucks ass at 3.8% unemployment?

Quality over quantity.

I want rising WAGES.

Quite simple, increase your value to your employer or train for a higher paying job.

That's not an economic policy. That's career advice for an individual.

What happens is manufacturing employment starts to RISE, dropping a significant number of higher paying jobs into the market place?

Forum List

Back