Washing machines/dryers prices up 17% under Trump (thank you, tariffs)

Wanna buy laundry equipment for your home? Good luck paying more than you used to, thanks to Donald J. Trump and his tariffs.
In this thread, we will come up with ideas as to how to lower said prices again:
Opinion | Trump’s tariffs are already backfiring
And Harley says they plan to move operation to EU and Trump threatens them with more taxes.

The first causalities of Trumps tariff war is 60 workers at Mid-Continent Nail, America's largest nail manufacturer. They lost their jobs on June 15 at a factory in a part of Missouri that voted overwhelmingly for Trump. The whole company could be out of business by Labor Day. There will be more to come, a lot more as the Trump war expands.

lol 60? We lost millions under the Bush-Clinton NAFTA scam. Milloins more under Carter's Favored Nation scam for Red China, hundreds of thousands to Viet Nam alone.

You don't find it odd that 'globalists' loves them some communist countries with police states?

The imbalance of trade has been a terrible burden on the US. It robs us of our wealth when more money is going out of our country than is coming in.

Trumps understands that. No other President in my life time has really understood it.

Trump is a businessman that understands the problem. He is putting pressure on other countries to correct the problem. It will not be easy but thank goodness he is working it. There is a possibility it could all blow up but Trump is usually competent in what he does so we will see.

Beats the hell out of the trade policy of previous Presidents to give away the store.

Yeah!! How dare the American people use their freedom to buy what they want to buy regardless of where it is made!

Thank goodness we have people like you and Trump to take that freedom away from us

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com
Thanks for endorsing Totalitarianism.

Wanna buy laundry equipment for your home? Good luck paying more than you used to, thanks to Donald J. Trump and his tariffs.
In this thread, we will come up with ideas as to how to lower said prices again:
And Harley says they plan to move operation to EU and Trump threatens them with more taxes.

The first causalities of Trumps tariff war is 60 workers at Mid-Continent Nail, America's largest nail manufacturer. They lost their jobs on June 15 at a factory in a part of Missouri that voted overwhelmingly for Trump. The whole company could be out of business by Labor Day. There will be more to come, a lot more as the Trump war expands.

lol 60? We lost millions under the Bush-Clinton NAFTA scam. Milloins more under Carter's Favored Nation scam for Red China, hundreds of thousands to Viet Nam alone.

You don't find it odd that 'globalists' loves them some communist countries with police states?

The imbalance of trade has been a terrible burden on the US. It robs us of our wealth when more money is going out of our country than is coming in.

Trumps understands that. No other President in my life time has really understood it.

Trump is a businessman that understands the problem. He is putting pressure on other countries to correct the problem. It will not be easy but thank goodness he is working it. There is a possibility it could all blow up but Trump is usually competent in what he does so we will see.

Beats the hell out of the trade policy of previous Presidents to give away the store.

Yeah!! How dare the American people use their freedom to buy what they want to buy regardless of where it is made!

Thank goodness we have people like you and Trump to take that freedom away from us

I see you lack the IQ to grasp sarcasm. I will keep that in mind for future conversation.

I see you lack the IQ to grasp sarcasm. I will keep that in mind for future conversation.
You support China because you like easy money.

It's complete idiocy to turn a country into a consumer economy while simultaneously stripping it of nearly all of the high productivity jobs and the disposable incomes necessary for a 'consumer economy' to work. Wall Street doesn't have to care, they have all the tax credits and subsidies that make Red China a grand investment for them.

Trump is trying to reverse that, and hopefully he gets some of it done. The problem is they looted the domestic economy for decades, and it will take some time to correct that, and the attention spans of the 'It's All About Me!!' generations is measured in seconds, not years.

You are correct.

Back in my college days I took a course in International Economics. The thing that I remember the most about that course is the importance of a balance in trade.

When a country has more moeny going out than it has coming in then all that extra money becomes a drain of wealth.

Back in the 1980s we had all our money going to Japan. With the extra dollars they were able to buy a good portion of Hawaii and California. In addition they bought American business and the profits started going to the Japanese. We are poorer because of that trade deficit.

I am just glad Trump understand the problem and is working hard to fix it and yes we are going to have some disruptions until we get it back in line.

Other Presidents didn't have the balls to confront the problem. God bless Trump.

Right now not to worry. The tariffs are a small fraction of our booming economy.

Trump Hates the Trade Deficit. Most Economists Don’t.

Most economists do not see the trade gap as money “lost” to other countries, nor do they worry about trade deficits to a large degree. That’s because trade imbalances are affected by a host of macroeconomic factors, including the relative growth rates of countries, the value of their currencies, and their saving and investment rates. For instance, America’s trade deficit narrowed dramatically during the Great Recession, when national consumption faltered.

I don't know who "most economist" are. That goes against what I was taught in my International Economics course.

When you have a negative trade deficit then that money becomes a demand on your wealth. It is really as simple as that.

A country increases it wealth by getting money from other countries. It loses it wealth when the other countries have its money.

Now to be fair you can have an imbalance in trade and that can be offset by money coming in from other sources like foreign investments. In fact that is what saved the US for many years. We had tremendous worldwide investment and the profits offset what we were losing in trade. That is what those economist are referring to. However, that will evaporate over time as foreign counties use their excess dollars to invest in the US and reverse the flow of money. That is what Trump is concerned about and rightfully so.
Better economists than whoever taught your class. How long ago was this?

Stop being an asshole with statements like that. It just makes you look like a fool.

You support China because you like easy money.

I support freedom of choice because I support liberty. Two things you seem to struggle with.

The thing that idiots like you fail to realize in your ignorance is that free trade should be fair trade and that is what Trump is
fighting for..

Other President have signed unfair trade deal where other countries can subsides their products and impose high tariffs on American goods making American goods and services noncompetitive. Obama was notorious for giving away the store. That is why the sucking sound that you hear is money being sucked out the US and into the pockets of foreigners.

Trump is trying to correct that problem. That is a good thing.

Shitheads like you are simply too dumb to know it.

It's complete idiocy to turn a country into a consumer economy while simultaneously stripping it of nearly all of the high productivity jobs and the disposable incomes necessary for a 'consumer economy' to work. Wall Street doesn't have to care, they have all the tax credits and subsidies that make Red China a grand investment for them.

Trump is trying to reverse that, and hopefully he gets some of it done. The problem is they looted the domestic economy for decades, and it will take some time to correct that, and the attention spans of the 'It's All About Me!!' generations is measured in seconds, not years.

You are correct.

Back in my college days I took a course in International Economics. The thing that I remember the most about that course is the importance of a balance in trade.

When a country has more moeny going out than it has coming in then all that extra money becomes a drain of wealth.

Back in the 1980s we had all our money going to Japan. With the extra dollars they were able to buy a good portion of Hawaii and California. In addition they bought American business and the profits started going to the Japanese. We are poorer because of that trade deficit.

I am just glad Trump understand the problem and is working hard to fix it and yes we are going to have some disruptions until we get it back in line.

Other Presidents didn't have the balls to confront the problem. God bless Trump.

Right now not to worry. The tariffs are a small fraction of our booming economy.

Most economists do not see the trade gap as money “lost” to other countries, nor do they worry about trade deficits to a large degree. That’s because trade imbalances are affected by a host of macroeconomic factors, including the relative growth rates of countries, the value of their currencies, and their saving and investment rates. For instance, America’s trade deficit narrowed dramatically during the Great Recession, when national consumption faltered.

I don't know who "most economist" are. That goes against what I was taught in my International Economics course.

When you have a negative trade deficit then that money becomes a demand on your wealth. It is really as simple as that.

A country increases it wealth by getting money from other countries. It loses it wealth when the other countries have its money.

Now to be fair you can have an imbalance in trade and that can be offset by money coming in from other sources like foreign investments. In fact that is what saved the US for many years. We had tremendous worldwide investment and the profits offset what we were losing in trade. That is what those economist are referring to. However, that will evaporate over time as foreign counties use their excess dollars to invest in the US and reverse the flow of money. That is what Trump is concerned about and rightfully so.

Stop being an asshole with statements like that. It just makes you look like a fool.
What great economist taught your class? How long ago?

You are correct.

The effects of trade imbalance in the US economy are debateable.
The Pros & Cons of a Trade Deficit

But generally, a trade imbalance "should" lower wages and employment. HOWEVER, our trade balance with the EU has not been a bad thing, despite what Trump may sell on TV
America's Trade Deficit Is Largely Paid For By European Investment In American Manufacturing

Jina is probably a different story. Unlike the EU trade barriers are more one way. As the US is now finding out with Harley, and BMW and Mercedes and Toyota will follow.

The thing that idiots like you fail to realize in your ignorance is that free trade should be fair trade and that is what Trump is
fighting for..

Other President have signed unfair trade deal where other countries can subsides their products and impose high tariffs on American goods making American goods and services noncompetitive. Obama was notorious for giving away the store. That is why the sucking sound that you hear is money being sucked out the US and into the pockets of foreigners.

Trump is trying to correct that problem. That is a good thing.

Shitheads like you are simply too dumb to know it.

A few places where you went wrong...

First "fair" is a child's concept and has no place in the adult world. Nothing in life is "fair", because fair is always in the eye of the beholder. Fair is also a political talking point that get the masses all riled up and worshiping whomever is the current resident of the White House.

What trade deals should be are mutually beneficial, not "fair" because I can assure you that the Chinese think their deals are more than fair.

So, how would one decide if the deals are mutually beneficial? One way might to be look at the economies of the nations involved.

Let's take ours into account....we have 3.8% unemployment and literally have more open jobs than people to fill them. That is a good thing.

We are also closing in on 108 straight months of economic expansion, which is the 2nd longest in the history of our great nation.

Putting those two things together I would say that something has gone right with all those "unfair" trade deals.

We had a robust financial market, though it is much less so since someone started their stupid trade war.

Finally, no money is being "sucked" anywhere, we buy things from other countries because we can, because we have the wealth to do so. It is the same reasons I and probably you buy your food from a grocery store vice growing and raising it yourself. You have a trade deficit with your local grocery store, does that make them "unfair"? Of course not.

But generally, a trade imbalance "should" lower wages and employment. HOWEVER, our trade balance with the EU has not been a bad thing, despite what Trump may sell on TV
America's Trade Deficit Is Largely Paid For By European Investment In American Manufacturing

Jina is probably a different story. Unlike the EU trade barriers are more one way. As the US is now finding out with Harley, and BMW and Mercedes and Toyota will follow.

Yes, they take the money we give them and then they create business with them. Then they reap the profits.

If they did not have that cash in the first place then the money would have stayed in the US and used for American investment and the profits would have stayed in the US.

You are richer if you own the business than if you work for the person that owns the business and that is why that rational about foreign investment fails under scrutiny. That is what is wrong with the argument that everything is OK because the foreign entities are buying up America with the money we gave them in unfair trade deals. We may get the crumbs but they get the big bucks.

We should be doing that to other countries not having other countries do that to us. We got a tremendous amount of wealth accumulated in the US because we did that after WWII. Now that wealth is being siphoned off because of unfair trade deals.

That is what Trump is smart enough to understand and what he is trying to fix..

Yes, they take the money we give them and then they create business with them. Then they reap the profits.

If they did not have that cash in the first place then the money would have stayed in the US and used for American investment and the profits would have stayed in the US.

You are richer if you own the business than if you work for the person that owns the business and that is why that rational about foreign investment fails under scrutiny. That is what is wrong with the argument that everything is OK because the foreign entities are buying up America with the money we gave them in unfair trade deals. We may get the crumbs but they get the big bucks.

We should be doing that to other countries not having other countries do that to us. We got a tremendous amount of wealth accumulated in the US because we did that after WWII. Now that wealth is being siphoned off because of unfair trade deals.

Let me summarize the data for you,

Arguably, Asia makes washers that are unfairly priced because of closed markets and worker abuse. However, trump has fucked you bigly if you're buying a car or truck, and for no reason other than you are buying his tv shit.

Arguably, Asia makes washers that are unfairly priced because of closed markets and worker abuse. However, trump has fucked you bigly if you're buying a car or truck, and for no reason other than you are buying his tv shit.

Let me lay it out to you.

China subsidizes their industries giving them an unfair cost advantage. China steals our technology so they don't have development cost in their pricing structure. China puts high barriers on our products so their industries don't have to compete.

Because of those things Chinese goods are cheaper than they should be causing a big one way flow of American dollars into their country. Dollars that are a demand on our wealth.

That is what Trump is trying to fix.

You and all other Americans will be much better off in the long run if Trump is successful in establishing fair trade than you would be for the temporary lower price for the washing machine.

Go take a course in Economics.

China subsidizes their industries giving them an unfair cost advantage. China steals our technology so they don't have development cost in their pricing structure. China puts high barriers on our products so their industries don't have to compete.

Because of those things Chinese goods are cheaper than they should be causing a big one way flow of American dollars into their country. Dollars that are a demand on our wealth.

You and all other Americans will be much better off in the long run if Trump is successful in establishing fair trade than you would be for the temporary lower price for the washing machine.

Again, economists don’t agree with you.

Fair trade is only good for both parties if it is in fact fair.

When it is not fair because of subsides and non reciprocal tariffs then it can be a disaster for one of the parties, like the US.

Good thing we have a President that understands that and is trying to fix the weak policies of giving away the store of past Presidents.

China subsidizes their industries giving them an unfair cost advantage.

Are you aware that we too subsidizes our industries?

Many of the Trump zealots seem unaware of this fact, we subsidize and before the start of the trade war we had a list of tariffs we charged that was more than 3000 pages long.

Everyone acts like we were somehow not doing these things that we whine about others doing.

Fair trade is only good for both parties if it is in fact fair.

When it is not fair because of subsides and non reciprocal tariffs then it can be a disaster for one of the parties, like the US.

Good thing we have a President that understands that and is trying to fix the weak policies of giving away the store of past Presidents.

Fair trade is a myth, a child's tale. Please move past it

A disaster as in 3.8% unemployment and 108 (almost) straight months of economic expansion, the 2nd longest in our history?

That kind of a disaster?

thank god we have Trump to put an end to those things...:290968001256257790-final:

Take reading class. I posted Asia's trade is not free market, but Trump has successively fucked you as a ChumpforTrump on the EU

Washington compost is pathetic. The cost of washing machines increased a little? That's the thing we all should be worried about? LOL
That's not a little. When was the last time it increased that much?
If this had been under Obama, the nutters would be describing it as a fortune.

If this happened under Obama, you'd be in favor of tariffs, like you were the day before Trump was elected and will be again the day he leaves office
Even unions haven’t been pro tariff for quite some time. They always lose jobs.

Most unions have been taken over by 'activist organizers' who target illegal aliens and allow few of the rank and file any voice. Their main interest is La Raza's 'ethnic cleansing' and looting agenda supported by the DNC. They're just Party fronts, not real unions.

Forum List

Back