We are experiencing the biggest scandal in America's political history right now.

The 2012 case arose when the organization Judicial Watch filed a lawsuit seeking Clinton’s documents pursuant to the Freedom of Information Act. Litigation ensued to pressure the National Archives into retrieving the materials. District Judge Amy Berman Jackson ruled that control over presidential records rests squarely in the hands of a former president:

“The National Archives does not have the authority to designate materials as ‘presidential records.’ It lacks any right, duty, or means to seize control of them.”

The judge adopted the very argument made in court by the Justice Department:

“(Seizing the records) is an ‘extraordinary request’ that is ‘unfounded, contrary to the Presidential Records Act’s express terms, and contrary to the traditional principles of administrative law’.”
Tell us about the laws in the last 15 years. Please don't cherry pick.

Trump has no right to them, no right to ignore subpoenas, and every right have a warrant and seizure served on him.

Tell us about the laws in the last 15 years. Please don't cherry pick.

Trump has no right to them, no right to ignore subpoenas, and every right have a warrant and seizure served on him.
Show me precedent in the last 15 years that would change that opinion, John! That's the way it works in our legal system. Rulings are made. Precedents are established. That precedent was established by a liberal judge to protect Bill Clinton. Don't you just love it when the things that you on the left do come back to bite you in the ass? :)

With all due respect, John? FactCheck.org doesn't set legal precedent. An actual JUDGE did that! Would you care to show me where that precedent was changed?

With all due respect, John? FactCheck.org doesn't set legal precedent. An actual JUDGE did that! Would you care to show me where that precedent was changed?
Fact Check does rule, Oldestyle, while you do drool. It is far more worthy than you.

Fact Check is far more accurate than almost any poster on this Board.

We are. We see the budding fascist of the Neo-GOP running cover for their Criminal Presidents' violent attempt to overturn the free and fair election of the 50 States in 2020. The rebel states didn't even resort to sending a mob to attack Congress after Lincoln's victory in 1860, so yeah biggest GOP scandal in history.
My, visions of sugarplums dancin' in yer head while you project Biden's crime on the "Neo-GOP" whatever that is. I've never participated in any party meetings, planning devices, or anything else. I became a Republican when I married so as not to cancel my late husband's vote. I see that you picked up Joe Biden's nasty and vicious claim that all of President Trumps voters were fascists. I think he will have a little trouble with explaining to St. Peter why he blamed millions of innocent people for doing what he gets votes for his lies that are repeated in and again by the sycophant press that is frequently seen interpreting some balderdash he just threw up on the table, when actually, he is not mentally healthy enough to make common sense to the American people. I try my best to vote for those who prefer less government than we are burdened with and who are honest in money matters, with respect for the land, sea, and air environment.

The scandal is in the White House, dear, not even anywhere close to middle America where good folks don't throw mud at each other to win power, but go to work, do their jobs, raise children, and care for their home's tranquillity. Whatever or no never.

Last edited:
My, visions of sugarplums dancin' in yer head while you project Biden's crime on the "Neo-GOP" whatever that is. I've never participated in any party meetings, planning devices, or anything else. I became a Republican when I married so as not to cancel my late husband's vote. I see that you picked up Joe Biden's nasty and vicious claim that all of President Trumps voters were fascists. I think he will have a little trouble with explaining to St. Peter why he blamed millions of innocent people for doing what he gets votes for his lies that are repeated in and again by the sycophant press that is frequently seen interpreting some balderdash he just threw up on the table, when actually, he is not mentally healthy enough to make common sense to the American people.

The scandal is in the White House, dear, not even anywhere close to middle America where good folks don't throw mud at each other to win power, but go to work, do their jobs, raise children, and care for their home's tranquillity. Whatever or no never.
Don't mess with Texas!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

The 2012 case arose when the organization Judicial Watch filed a lawsuit seeking Clinton’s documents pursuant to the Freedom of Information Act. Litigation ensued to pressure the National Archives into retrieving the materials. District Judge Amy Berman Jackson ruled that control over presidential records rests squarely in the hands of a former president:

“The National Archives does not have the authority to designate materials as ‘presidential records.’ It lacks any right, duty, or means to seize control of them.”

“(Seizing the records) is an ‘extraordinary request’ that is ‘unfounded, contrary to the Presidential Records Act’s express terms, and contrary to the traditional principles of administrative law’.”
Are we following THAT precedent, Marener?
Genuinely trying to figure out why you think this is at all relevant.

Your “precedent” has nothing in common. Judicial Watch engaged in civil litigation, asking the courts to force NARA to take back tapes that they didn’t even want.

Trump’s case is the DoJ enforcing a grand jury subpoena to demand documents to enforce criminal law. They have nothing in common.

Genuinely trying to figure out why you think this is at all relevant.

Your “precedent” has nothing in common. Judicial Watch engaged in civil litigation, asking the courts to force NARA to take back tapes that they didn’t even want.

Trump’s case is the DoJ enforcing a grand jury subpoena to demand documents to enforce criminal law. They have nothing in common.
The judge's ruling is what is critical, Marener.

That's about as clear cut a decision as you could ever have! “The National Archives does not have the authority to designate materials as ‘presidential records.’ It lacks any right, duty, or means to seize control of them.”

The judge’s ruling has nothing to do with the case.

NARA may lack the authority to seize anything from anyone, but the DoJ doesn’t.

Trump didn’t receive a subpoena from NARA. He received a grand jury subpoena from the DoJ. Your judicial watch case is civil. Trump’s is criminal. This isn’t administrative law. This is criminal law.

The judge’s ruling has nothing to do with the case.

NARA may lack the authority to seize anything from anyone, but the DoJ doesn’t.

Trump didn’t receive a subpoena from NARA. He received a grand jury subpoena from the DoJ. Your judicial watch case is civil. Trump’s is criminal. This isn’t administrative law. This is criminal law.
What "crime" is it that the DOJ is basing their subpoena on? Do you think that Grand Jury was shown the legal precedent regarding Clinton? Since the defense isn't allowed to present the other side then it's a good bet that they were not! They were told that Trump had no right to those documents because NARA was requesting them. That opinion isn't supported by legal precedent.

What "crime" is it that the DOJ is basing their subpoena on? Do you think that Grand Jury was shown the legal precedent regarding Clinton? Since the defense isn't allowed to present the other side then it's a good bet that they were not! They were told that Trump had no right to those documents because NARA was requesting them. That opinion isn't supported by legal precedent.
The “legal precedent” your citing is irrelevant and it’s not a precedent.

The DoJ is basing their subpoena on the espionage act. You know, the one that says you can’t have highly classified documents at your house.

One more time, NARA wasn’t requesting the documents. The DoJ was.

The “legal precedent” your citing is irrelevant and it’s not a precedent.

The DoJ is basing their subpoena on the espionage act. You know, the one that says you can’t have highly classified documents at your house.

One more time, NARA wasn’t requesting the documents. The DoJ was.
It's irrelevant? Why? It's about as clear cut as you can get. Not a precedent? To be blunt, Marener? Just because it's a precedent you don't like doesn't make it any less of a precedent.

The espionage act? That's what you're basing your subpoena on? And you just claimed the Clinton precedent was irrelevant? Name the last time the espionage act was invoked!

Which brings us right back to the Constitutional question as to what rights a President has. Something that should have been settled in court as it was with Clinton and his tapes. Instead, this DOJ sent a Swat team to the home of a former President who is the sitting President's chief political rival in a coming election!

It's irrelevant? Why? It's about as clear cut as you can get. Not a precedent? To be blunt, Marener? Just because it's a precedent you don't like doesn't make it any less of a precedent.

The espionage act? That's what you're basing your subpoena on? And you just claimed the Clinton precedent was irrelevant? Name the last time the espionage act was invoked!
I’d already explained why your court case is irrelevant.

A district court decision is not a binding precedent for any other district court. Only a higher court can bind a lower court.

The espionage act is used all the time to prosecute anyone who has illegally taken classified documents.

One more time, the Judicial Watch case you cited discussed the authority that NARA has or doesn’t have. Trump’s subpoena didn’t come from NARA. It came from the DoJ investigation a violation of the espionage act. Trump’s case is criminal. It has a grand jury subpoena. The Judicial Watch case has nothing of the sort.

Forum List

Back