We must eliminate hate crime laws

Your answer makes my point.
Intent is the difference. But how do you really know the intent.The post says you cannot tell intent because you do not know what is going on in one's head so you must just look at the crime.
We have many crimes where we use evidence to determine intent. The same goes for hate crimes. Evidence will determine intent just like intent is determined in many other crimes.

I fail to see your point here.

If I intend to kill somebody because they cut me off on the highway, or if I intend to kill somebody because they are gay. What difference does the intent make?

I used anger (hate) either way to satisfy my compulsion. Either way, I took out my anger on somebody for whatever reason, and because of that, such reaction should be treated the same by our criminal justice system. After all, if somebody kills a member of your family because they thought such person was ugly, or if they didn't like their race, what difference does that make when dealing out punishment? Both murders should be treated the same.

I don't know WHY they have such a hard time with this! It makes no difference at all. A victim who was attacked for being gay is not any more of a victim who was attacked because of any other reason.

Sounds like you're full of shit and are in overtly defensive mode to protect yourself. Protect yourself from what though? jesus christ...
From false accusations of nitwits such as yourself!

Intent isn't the issue. "Hate Crimes" have nothing to do with "intent". Intent goes to action (ie your intended actions). "Hate Crime" goes to state of mind. Who could possibly know your state of mind? :dunno:

If I attempt to kill you but fail, I'm brought up on attempted murder charges because my actions intended to kill you. But if I think about killing you, can I be brought up on charges? Can I?

Despite the left's best efforts otherwise, we are still allowed to think freely in this country and you cannot prosecute me for thoughts.
intent is based on your thoughts at the time of the incident.
please!
So you're telling me that if I sit here every day thinking that I want to kill you, I've committed a crime? Oh please say something that stupid. Intent is action nitwit. It is not thought.

How many people have you killed?

A guy burning down a Muslim owned restaurant, after years of posts on social media about how Muslims are a danger to the country.

There let's discuss that.
Ok. And hypothetically speaking - what should the sentence be for that crime for the purposes of this discussion and then what additional sentence should there be for the "hate crime" on top of that? You don't have to have something realistic here. We just need numbers so we have something for the sake of the discussion.
Well let me ask you... the person burned down a Muslim owned restaurant, with the intent of scaring other Muslims away from starting their own restaurants. Do you think that's okay?

LOL.

All that leniency on college campuses because of hatred. Only liberals could come up with that one

We can use that as a perfect example.

Let's say that a person who attacked a Hillary supporter at her rally gets less punishment than one who attacks a Trump supporter at his rally, what would the left be saying then?

Both are actions of violence and should be treated the exact same way.

And btw P@triot you probably shouldn't commit any crimes against minorities for a while since your posts are readily available on here.
Well for starters, I don't commit any crimes at all. I'm a law abiding citizen genius.
Are you brown? If so that doesn't mean anything in Trump's new Amerika.
I'm not. And Trump employs many "brown" people so you can stop playing the victim and stop the tired "racist" screams of anyone who is conservative.

Intent isn't the issue. "Hate Crimes" have nothing to do with "intent". Intent goes to action (ie your intended actions). "Hate Crime" goes to state of mind. Who could possibly know your state of mind? :dunno:

If I attempt to kill you but fail, I'm brought up on attempted murder charges because my actions intended to kill you. But if I think about killing you, can I be brought up on charges? Can I?

Despite the left's best efforts otherwise, we are still allowed to think freely in this country and you cannot prosecute me for thoughts.
please!
So you're telling me that if I sit here every day thinking that I want to kill you, I've committed a crime? Oh please say something that stupid. Intent is action nitwit. It is not thought.

Tsk, tsk. You are breaking the rules with your personal attacks and insinuations that another poster is a criminal.

Murder is not the only type of hate crime. Fuck you're dumb.
Well since I just owned you progressives on that one - give me an example junior. Give me another example other than murder that we can discuss. You pick it.
A guy burning down a Muslim owned restaurant, after years of posts on social media about how Muslims are a danger to the country.

And btw P@triot you probably shouldn't commit any crimes against minorities for a while since your posts are readily available on here.

That's already a crime.
And also a hate crime. Jesus Christ ChrisL. You're dumber and dumber with every post.

The victims of crime are no less effected by it because of motive of the perp. PERIOD.
*affected... nvm your other grammatical errors

In a hate crime, the victim of the crime is not the only victim. Maybe they should be called terrorists, so you republicans will start to care.

please!

Tsk, tsk. You are breaking the rules with your personal attacks and insinuations that another poster is a criminal.

He called me a criminal, flat out. I haven't done the same to him.

Ok. And hypothetically speaking - what should the sentence be for that crime for the purposes of this discussion and then what additional sentence should there be for the "hate crime" on top of that? You don't have to have something realistic here. We just need numbers so we have something for the sake of the discussion.
Well let me ask you... the person burned down a Muslim owned restaurant, with the intent of scaring other Muslims away from starting their own restaurants. Do you think that's okay?
Well burning down the restaurant is not ok. So why the person did it is irrelevant (especially when it can't be proven unless the defendant confesses).

Now, do you want to pick the numbers so we can discuss or should I? I'd prefer you did it so you have nothing to cry about when I prove you wrong but I'm happy to do it if necessary. Let me know.

Could have just been some nut wanting to burn a random building. You can't assume he burned it down because he hated Muslims.

Well for starters, I don't commit any crimes at all. I'm a law abiding citizen genius.
Are you brown? If so that doesn't mean anything in Trump's new Amerika.
I'm not. And Trump employs many "brown" people so you can stop playing the victim and stop the tired "racist" screams of anyone who is conservative.
Oh you're not brown? Then you probably aren't at risk of being put on a registry or having your rights stolen away in Trump's new Amerika. Sorry your job won't be coming back. I hope you can afford the price hikes at Wal-Mart.

please!

Uh....none, stupid. Why?

Well since I just owned you progressives on that one - give me an example junior. Give me another example other than murder that we can discuss. You pick it.

That's already a crime.
And also a hate crime. Jesus Christ ChrisL. You're dumber and dumber with every post.

The victims of crime are no less effected by it because of motive of the perp. PERIOD.
*affected... nvm your other grammatical errors

In a hate crime, the victim of the crime is not the only victim. Maybe they should be called terrorists, so you republicans will start to care.

I would suggest you look up the definition of terrorism.

Could have just been some nut wanting to burn a random building. You can't assume he burned it down because he hated Muslims.
Yeah maybe Bin Laden attacked the towers because he wanted to attack a random building, and not because he wanted to scare Americans :cuckoo:

Oh you're not brown? Then you probably aren't at risk of being put on a registry or having your rights stolen away in Trump's new Amerika. Sorry your job won't be coming back. I hope you can afford the price hikes at Wal-Mart.
Dude...what the hell are you talking about? First of all, the markets are skyrocketing on the news of Trump's election alone so the ecomic future is bright. Second, my job isn't going anywhere. Third, what difference does it make what color I am, you racist wing-nut?

Not really, we have manslaughter and two kinds of murder with numerous enhancements for all involving how the victim was killed and why. If someone walks out in front of your car you might get it ruled an accident but be driving drunk and what happens? Should the penalties be the same?
That's not a "thought" issue. That's the matter between an accident (from reckless actions) and not an accident.
Intent.

All one has to do is see who is pushing to get rid of hate crime laws.
Yeah...me. The law abiding citizen who actually respects and defends the U.S. Constitution. The question is - why don't you? Why do you support violating the law at all costs? :dunno:

Forum List

Back