We Need Government Healthcare Like Canada!

No, it really isn't. When we drivers are waiting to get loaded or unloaded, we have our BS sessions. When Canadian drivers are around, I always bring up healthcare to see what their view is. Younger and middle-aged driers told me how much they love it. The elderly drivers told me that stick with what we have, or we will be sorry in our later years.

Now I understand you're not a truck driver up north where you have this opportunity. But just go to any one of our northern hospitals and see all the Canadian patients we have. My sister works at the Cleveland Clinic, and she can find you plenty of Canadian patients that will tell you they'd love to trade their plan for ours.

You attend a "BS session" and you think all that's said is fact?

The question that comes to mind is; Who pays for the "plenty" of Canadian patients?

That I couldn't tell you. Most likely themselves. But it's not "A" BS session, we have them all the time. Not much else to do unless you want to play with your cell phone. At times it takes well over an hour to get loaded or unloaded.

A bunch of older truck drivers don't like the health care system. Ask older women how they feel about it. Older men are not really the best judges.

My poker buddy. 3 pack a day smoker, drinker, loved him some greasy food. Had a massive heart attack at 53, died in the emergency room, and the cracked his chest on the spot and brought him back, saving his life. He had quadruple by-pass surgery. 6 months later he could do nothing but complain. The doctor made him quit smoking, change his diet, and cut back his drinking. He had nothing good to say about him. He didn't like being told what to do.

Middle aged men are the worst patients ever and hardly the best judges of the system because men only go to the doctor when they have no other choice. I can count on the fingers of one hand how often my husband of 31 years went to the doctor, BEFORE he was diagnosed with high blood pressure at age 51. Thereafter, our family doctor made him go in every 6 months for monitoring and to renew his prescription. He didn't even GO to the doctor in the first 15 years of our marriage, except when he tore his finger off oiling his motorcycle chain. He wrapped it in a clean cloth and took it to the hospital where they reattached it, three months after our wedding. When he passed a kidney stone in year 15, he didn't even have a GP he could call.

Women have babies so that they're accustomed to going to the doctor if there is any kind of problem, because that's what we're told to do.

You'll probably find that in just about any country. But I was speaking of older guys; people in their late 50's or so. It was pretty much a consensus, just like the middle-aged and younger drivers who told me they love it. The older drivers told me about basically being ignored, living in pain, and pretty much being at the end of the line for non-life threatening care.

Doing a lot of reading on the subject, the only conclusion I can come to is that every healthcare system in the world has problems. Yes, we do to, it's just a different kind of problem other countries have. Ours is about access and affordability. Other places I've read where they can't find the personnel, long waiting times, avoidance of serious surgeries and things like that. In fact, I read an article about Canada several years ago and how they are facing a doctor shortage because so many females became doctors. When they started having children, they got out of practice to raise their family.

I read something a while ago that made a lot of logical sense:

Everyone wants healthcare that is good, cheap and fast. But you can't have all three. You can have good and cheap (Canada, UK), but it won't be fast. You can have good and fast (USA) but it won't be cheap.

Just to be clear. Not everyone waits, and God help you if you don't. My friend started feeling poorly Christmas Eve a few years ago. Cold and flu were going around, so she took cold pills and carried on. On December 29th, she went downtown shopping and collapsed on the street. She tolk her husband she thought her cold had turned to pneumonia. Her husband took her to Sunnybrook Hospital Emergency (near their home) where she was diagnosed with an extremely quick and deadly form of blood cancer, and told that had she gone home, she would have died in the night. She started chemo on January 2nd, as soon as her condition was stabilized, and they could get a full lab workup done. She stayed in hospital (very unusual) through 2 rounds of chemo, in the "safe zone", and an outpatient round of chemo when she returned home to solidify her recovery, when she was finally deemed to be in remission, but it was short lived. She was added to a research trial, to start in July, but by then she was done, and declined the offer. The cancer had drained her of all of her fight and she was ready to go. I miss her still.

This past summer my sister called and said she was going for lung cancer testing. She went to her doctor on Thursday, who sent her to the oncologist the following Tuesday, who scheduled bloodwork and an MRI for Thursday and biopsy on Monday. I dropped everything, made arrangements for a cat sitter and took the train to Montreal on Sunday. My sister is saying "I don't know why everybody complains about wait times. They must not have a good doctor, like mine". I nearly burst into tears at the dinner table. The good news is she did not have lung cancer. Instead it's another issue for which she will require a medication costing thousands of dollars every month. They have no private health insurance. My sister and her husband are solid home-owning working class folk. The kind of people who would be wiped out by the co-pays on all of this in the USA. She's hads to go through a extra hoops to get the drug, but she's getting it and all of this is being covered by her Canadian health care.

My husband's grandmother received cancer surgery at the age of 92, when she was so addled by dementia she didn't recognize any of us. I couldn't believe they didn't just make her comfortable and let her go. I can tell you similar stories about everyone in my family, myself included. I have never in my adult life received a bill, paid a co-pay on doctor or hospital, been refused or denied treatment, and this is the first time in my entire life I've had to wait for surgery.

Sign in a Canadian Emergency Waiting Room: Be grateful you have to wait. It means you're in no danger of dying. Thank you for your patience.
Medical care is expensive not because of any trade off as you suggest. What medicine tries to do is often on the bleeding edge of science an technology. Cancer drugs require the expenditure of billions of dollars to research and test an MRI machine costs $10 million dollars.

No, it really isn't. When we drivers are waiting to get loaded or unloaded, we have our BS sessions. When Canadian drivers are around, I always bring up healthcare to see what their view is. Younger and middle-aged driers told me how much they love it. The elderly drivers told me that stick with what we have, or we will be sorry in our later years.

Now I understand you're not a truck driver up north where you have this opportunity. But just go to any one of our northern hospitals and see all the Canadian patients we have. My sister works at the Cleveland Clinic, and she can find you plenty of Canadian patients that will tell you they'd love to trade their plan for ours.

The question that comes to mind is; Who pays for the "plenty" of Canadian patients?

That I couldn't tell you. Most likely themselves. But it's not "A" BS session, we have them all the time. Not much else to do unless you want to play with your cell phone. At times it takes well over an hour to get loaded or unloaded.

A bunch of older truck drivers don't like the health care system. Ask older women how they feel about it. Older men are not really the best judges.

My poker buddy. 3 pack a day smoker, drinker, loved him some greasy food. Had a massive heart attack at 53, died in the emergency room, and the cracked his chest on the spot and brought him back, saving his life. He had quadruple by-pass surgery. 6 months later he could do nothing but complain. The doctor made him quit smoking, change his diet, and cut back his drinking. He had nothing good to say about him. He didn't like being told what to do.

Middle aged men are the worst patients ever and hardly the best judges of the system because men only go to the doctor when they have no other choice. I can count on the fingers of one hand how often my husband of 31 years went to the doctor, BEFORE he was diagnosed with high blood pressure at age 51. Thereafter, our family doctor made him go in every 6 months for monitoring and to renew his prescription. He didn't even GO to the doctor in the first 15 years of our marriage, except when he tore his finger off oiling his motorcycle chain. He wrapped it in a clean cloth and took it to the hospital where they reattached it, three months after our wedding. When he passed a kidney stone in year 15, he didn't even have a GP he could call.

Women have babies so that they're accustomed to going to the doctor if there is any kind of problem, because that's what we're told to do.

You'll probably find that in just about any country. But I was speaking of older guys; people in their late 50's or so. It was pretty much a consensus, just like the middle-aged and younger drivers who told me they love it. The older drivers told me about basically being ignored, living in pain, and pretty much being at the end of the line for non-life threatening care.

Doing a lot of reading on the subject, the only conclusion I can come to is that every healthcare system in the world has problems. Yes, we do to, it's just a different kind of problem other countries have. Ours is about access and affordability. Other places I've read where they can't find the personnel, long waiting times, avoidance of serious surgeries and things like that. In fact, I read an article about Canada several years ago and how they are facing a doctor shortage because so many females became doctors. When they started having children, they got out of practice to raise their family.

Everyone wants healthcare that is good, cheap and fast. But you can't have all three. You can have good and cheap (Canada, UK), but it won't be fast. You can have good and fast (USA) but it won't be cheap.

Just to be clear. Not everyone waits, and God help you if you don't. My friend started feeling poorly Christmas Eve a few years ago. Cold and flu were going around, so she took cold pills and carried on. On December 29th, she went downtown shopping and collapsed on the street. She tolk her husband she thought her cold had turned to pneumonia. Her husband took her to Sunnybrook Hospital Emergency (near their home) where she was diagnosed with an extremely quick and deadly form of blood cancer, and told that had she gone home, she would have died in the night. She started chemo on January 2nd, as soon as her condition was stabilized, and they could get a full lab workup done. She stayed in hospital (very unusual) through 2 rounds of chemo, in the "safe zone", and an outpatient round of chemo when she returned home to solidify her recovery, when she was finally deemed to be in remission, but it was short lived. She was added to a research trial, to start in July, but by then she was done, and declined the offer. The cancer had drained her of all of her fight and she was ready to go. I miss her still.

This past summer my sister called and said she was going for lung cancer testing. She went to her doctor on Thursday, who sent her to the oncologist the following Tuesday, who scheduled bloodwork and an MRI for Thursday and biopsy on Monday. I dropped everything, made arrangements for a cat sitter and took the train to Montreal on Sunday. My sister is saying "I don't know why everybody complains about wait times. They must not have a good doctor, like mine". I nearly burst into tears at the dinner table. The good news is she did not have lung cancer. Instead it's another issue for which she will require a medication costing thousands of dollars every month. They have no private health insurance. My sister and her husband are solid home-owning working class folk. The kind of people who would be wiped out by the co-pays on all of this in the USA. She's hads to go through a extra hoops to get the drug, but she's getting it and all of this is being covered by her Canadian health care.

My husband's grandmother received cancer surgery at the age of 92, when she was so addled by dementia she didn't recognize any of us. I couldn't believe they didn't just make her comfortable and let her go. I can tell you similar stories about everyone in my family, myself included. I have never in my adult life received a bill, paid a co-pay on doctor or hospital, been refused or denied treatment, and this is the first time in my entire life I've had to wait for surgery.

Sign in a Canadian Emergency Waiting Room: Be grateful you have to wait. It means you're in no danger of dying. Thank you for your patience.

As you know, anecdotal evidence is worthless. It may, or may not, contain any threads of the truth or facts, it says whatever the writer wants it to say.

I'm not going to make judgement. I don't personally know you, and I don't personally know the drivers I talked to. But there are plenty of articles about good and bad in any healthcare system. I'm just going by what I read and from people I discussed the subject with.

My neighbor learned she had lung cancer. She was a smoker and loved her pot. She didn't make very much money, so she didn't pay for a healthcare plan through work even though it was offered to her. The Cleveland Clinic took care of her until the day she passed away. They caught it way too late, and the Clinic is one of the best facilities in the world when it comes to cancer.

They used to come out in a van and pick her up for her treatments. They spared no expense in her fight. After she passed away, her son got the house--not the hospital like you hear so many stories about. He didn't want the house because of the memories, so he gave it to her boyfriend that lived there on and off. The only deal was that he had to take over the mortgage.

So how was her care funded? Those evil rich people. The Clinic has a fund for people who don't have much money and not enough for insurance. People donate generously so that others can be cared for. No government needed.

Our care is expensive, but nobody is dying in the street because they didn't have coverage. Nobody is homeless either because of medial costs. One of the biggest contributors to our medical costs are government. And as it is said, only a fool would expect the entity that created a problem to have a solution to it.

So you can wait 3 weeks after your general practitioner refers you to a specialist and 39 weeks for orthopedic surgery.

And Bloomberg says if you’re old, you can just die.

While Americans pine for 'Medicare for all,' Canadians look for US-style private insurance

A Strategic Counsel survey found 91% of Canadians prefer their healthcare system instead of a U.S. style system. A 2009 Harris-Decima poll found 82% of Canadians preferred their healthcare system to the one in the United States.

Healthcare in Canada - Wikipedia

The notion that health care in Canada is free or paid by taxes might also be responsible for lulling us into a deeper state of complacency. But this too is a false comfort. The average Canadian household spends $2000 on health care costs and $4000 on private insurance premiums. 65% of Canadians have some form of private health insurance most often provided through their employers.

How much are you paying into your company’s health care plan? The answer is not always obvious. Just because your employer offers a plan, doesn't mean it's a good one.

Thank you! The OP is just more fake news bullshit about healthcare.
Oh goody! Another fake news poll!

Meanwhile, Canadians continue to flood into America for basic healthcare.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-co...dians-increasingly-come-to-us-for-health-care

American Health Care Treats Canadians Who Cannot Wait

Canadians Come to America for Better Care

So you can wait 3 weeks after your general practitioner refers you to a specialist and 39 weeks for orthopedic surgery.

While Americans pine for 'Medicare for all,' Canadians look for US-style private insurance

No they don't. Not EVER. This is the bullshit lie of Insurance Lobby and the Medical Industrial Complex. And I say this as someone who has been waiting a year for a knee replacement.

Even before I clicked on the link, I knew it was referencing a study from the Fraser Institute. Those who oppose government funded health care love studies from the Fraser:

Fraser Institute - Media Bias/Fact Check

• Overall, we rate Fraser Institute strongly Right-Center biased based on policy positions that favors business and Mixed for factual reporting due to false and misleading claims regarding global warming.

The Fraser Institute opposes all public programs, and is pushing for US style health care, charter schools, and an end to social safety net spending. It is 50 paces to the right of the Heritage Institute, but it's basic goals and funding are the same. What media bias doesn't tell you is that their study methods are highly suspect. The Fraser wants these things. Canadians don't.

This poll shows that 86.2% of Canadians don't want US style health care.

New poll shows Canadians overwhelmingly support public health care – Healthcare-NOW!

In 2004, the CBC polled Canadians asking them who was the greatest Canadian who every lived. The winner? Tommy Douglas. The father of the Canadian Health Care system was the winner. Lester Pearson, the Prime Minister who passed the Canada Health Act finished 6th.

Canadians Come to America for Better Care

And wait...and wait...and wait.

I have to say, anytime I've gone to the emergency room, I've never waited. Either good timing or I waited too long in the first place. :D

Fishing and hunting is a right, everyone should be able to feed themselves.

Proof that neocon whackadoodles still live in the 19th century and wish for days gone by (whitey in charge, women in the kitchen, no EPA regs)

Now if you want healthcare, get a job and pay your own damn bills you lazy fat ass deadbeat moochers.

What a fallacy. Deadbeats wouldn't even make up 2 per cent of those that can't afford healthcare.
As an FYI, for your capitalist Utopia to work there has to be poor...so either look after them, or sow the seeds for communism and socialism...

Oh THAT beat down struck a liberal nerve ladies and gentlemen. ^^^

Yet it is hard to find a Canadian who would trade their healthcare plan for ours
You don't know any Canadians, do you?

I do. And their jaws drop when they hear how much our healthcare premiums, co-pays, and yearly deductibles cost. AND our healthcare is so good we have a reality show called "Botched."

The city of Philadelphia has more MRI machines than all of Canada. If you don't mind waiting 2 days to see a ER doctor, then Canada is for you.

Ate you going to tell us about the great Cuban health care system?

I have to say, anytime I've gone to the emergency room, I've never waited. Either good timing or I waited too long in the first place. :D

As I said, every system has it's flaws. They are different from one another, but I've yet to read about a healthcare system that is perfect.

What I get perturbed by is when people come here and tell us how our system sucks so badly, and everyplace else around the world has such great government healthcare. The left tells us it's all the insurance companies fault, and not the government which is the real problem.

If we want to bring down the cost of our healthcare, get government out of it, not bring more government in.

Fishing and hunting is a right, everyone should be able to feed themselves.

Proof that neocon whackadoodles still live in the 19th century and wish for days gone by (whitey in charge, women in the kitchen, no EPA regs)

Now if you want healthcare, get a job and pay your own damn bills you lazy fat ass deadbeat moochers.

What a fallacy. Deadbeats wouldn't even make up 2 per cent of those that can't afford healthcare.
As an FYI, for your capitalist Utopia to work there has to be poor...so either look after them, or sow the seeds for communism and socialism...

Oh THAT beat down struck a liberal nerve ladies and gentlemen. ^^^

Hey, whatever floats your boat...

As I said, every system has it's flaws. They are different from one another, but I've yet to read about a healthcare system that is perfect.

What I get perturbed by is when people come here and tell us how our system sucks so badly, and everyplace else around the world has such great government healthcare. The left tells us it's all the insurance companies fault, and not the government which is the real problem.

If we want to bring down the cost of our healthcare, get government out of it, not bring more government in.

The insurance companies are the reason you costs are so high, not the government. We pay administration of 7%, and some of the European companies pay even less - 5% of thereabouts. The US is around 35%. A big chunk of that is insurance company profit, "loss prevention", and administration, in other words, denying claims.

The insurance companies are the reason you costs are so high, not the government. We pay administration of 7%, and some of the European companies pay even less - 5% of thereabouts. The US is around 35%. A big chunk of that is insurance company profit, "loss prevention", and administration, in other words, denying claims.

And you don't think insurance is regulated to the gills ?

Please don't admit you are that stupid.

A Strategic Counsel survey found 91% of Canadians prefer their healthcare system instead of a U.S. style system. A 2009 Harris-Decima poll found 82% of Canadians preferred their healthcare system to the one in the United States.

Healthcare in Canada - Wikipedia

The notion that health care in Canada is free or paid by taxes might also be responsible for lulling us into a deeper state of complacency. But this too is a false comfort. The average Canadian household spends $2000 on health care costs and $4000 on private insurance premiums. 65% of Canadians have some form of private health insurance most often provided through their employers.

How much are you paying into your company’s health care plan? The answer is not always obvious. Just because your employer offers a plan, doesn't mean it's a good one.

Why do 65% of canadians need private health insurance ?

You might want to ponder that one a bit.

Why can't we have both? Private insurance for those who want/can afford it?

I think this is a good question. I think if there was a medicare for those who wanted it plan then most employers would probably drop health insurance and then what? You're almost at medicare for all.

And bankrupt.

I've had private insurance for forty years and I've never had a claim denied for me, my wife, and my four children.

You have no clue, do you? All you know are your scripted talking points.

So who do you think makes all those regulations for insurance companies?

I spent ten years in the business. One company I worked for had to have meetings every other Monday. Most of what was discussed were government changes in regards to Medicare, Medicaid and private insurance billing. More red tape or change of red tape. It drove those poor girls insane.

The left won't dare tell us where the expense is. For one, it would mean less government to make things better. Two, it would tell people that government was the problem all along, and certainly make people think twice about supporting government healthcare.

The insurance industry's net margin in 2017 ranged between 3 and 10.5%. Life insurance had the widest range between quarters, from 3% to 9.6%; property and casualty insurance were at 3% to 8%; and health insurance had the narrowest range of 4% to 5.25%. The net margin for insurance brokerages in 2017 was higher than that of the insurance industry overall, at 9.27% to 10.5%.

What are insurance sector companies usual profit margins?

Since you're Canadian, let me tell you the facts here in the US.

Unless you have a PPO which will cost you $1500.00 to $2200.00 per month, you have an HMO which will cost you $600.00 to $800.00 per month. With a PPO you can choose your Doctor and you receive medical care faster. HMO's you go to the clinic which determines if you need to see you primary provider. Then you wait 30-60 days to see your primary provider, then, if you're deemed, you wait another 90 days to see a specialist. If you need surgery and it's not an emergency (pain is NOT an emergency) you wait another 30-60 days unless you're luck enough to be sick at the beginning of a profit quarter in which you save a few weeks.

Welcome to American healthcare!!!!

You are either out of your mind, or the biggest bald-faced liar since Hillary Clinton . . . or both.

WOW!! Another Canadian?

But wait, there's more! If you have an HMO, you also have co-pays for being admitted to the emergency room and hospital. These typically run from $600.00 to $3000.00. Is it any wonder that consumer healthcare costs are the number one reason for bankruptcy?

Wow, you're just spewing random shit relating to not a damned thing.

At least you clarified for us all that you are, in fact, out of your mind.

I don't know if I mentioned it but depending on the product you also have a $3000.00 to $8000.00 yearly deductible. Is it any wonder that consumer healthcare costs are the number one reason for bankruptcy?

What I actually wonder about is why you think I'm going to accept that lie as fact just because you say it.

Forum List

Back