Well, I guess she has a point -- Pregnant Texas woman stopped for driving solo in HOV told police ...

A pregnant Texas woman who was given a traffic ticket for driving solo in an HOV lane intends to fight the citation, arguing her fetus should be considered a separate person given the Lone Star State’s views on abortion.

Mother-to-be Brandy Bottone, 34, told the Dallas Morning News she was given the ticket on June 29 after being pulled over by police while driving on a highway near the city.

“I was driving to pick up my son. I knew I couldn’t be a minute late, so I took the HOV lane,” she told the newspaper. “As I exited the HOV, there was a checkpoint at the end of the exit. I slammed on my brakes, and I was pulled over by police.”

The cop asked her if she had a passenger with her, and she responded that, in fact, she did.

“I pointed to my stomach and said, ‘My baby girl is right here. She is a person,’” Bottone, of Plano, told the newspaper.

“He said, ‘Oh, no. It’s got to be two people outside of the body.’”

Bottone then mentioned the recent Supreme Court ruling that overturned the constitutional right to an abortion – but was dismissed by one of the officers, she said.

Pregnant Texas woman argues fetus a ‘living child’ after HOV-lane ticket

LOL.....How dare her, getting in the way of TX revenue and all. ;)

This sounds more like jailhouse lawyer stuff but she might have a point since the state of TX has declared that a fetus is a person. By TX law there were two people in the car.

R.10ad5e961b34714d1326619defd18af6

In before TX closes the "RvW Loophole". :laughing0301:

I think the whole idea of "HOV lanes" is sort of stupid, but if they are going to have them, the traffic regulators certainly have a right to determine what counts as a "high occupancy vehicle".

Personally, I don't think the nation's founders had the intent of counting pregnant women twice in this calculation and that doesn't have anything to do with their thoughts about the Atrocity of Abortion.

A pregnant Texas woman who was given a traffic ticket for driving solo in an HOV lane intends to fight the citation, arguing her fetus should be considered a separate person given the Lone Star State’s views on abortion.

Mother-to-be Brandy Bottone, 34, told the Dallas Morning News she was given the ticket on June 29 after being pulled over by police while driving on a highway near the city.

“I was driving to pick up my son. I knew I couldn’t be a minute late, so I took the HOV lane,” she told the newspaper. “As I exited the HOV, there was a checkpoint at the end of the exit. I slammed on my brakes, and I was pulled over by police.”

The cop asked her if she had a passenger with her, and she responded that, in fact, she did.

“I pointed to my stomach and said, ‘My baby girl is right here. She is a person,’” Bottone, of Plano, told the newspaper.

Bottone then mentioned the recent Supreme Court ruling that overturned the constitutional right to an abortion – but was dismissed by one of the officers, she said.

This sounds more like jailhouse lawyer stuff but she might have a point since the state of TX has declared that a fetus is a person. By TX law there were two people in the car.

With the law the way it is now, she's right.

Right wing loons cut the law to fit their politics. Nothing new there.
Well in TX if a drunk driver hits and kills both her and the fetus the drunk guy is charged wit two deaths.

Meh, if I would have been the officer I would have warned her to stay in the regular lanes and have been done with it but nooooo, the revenue must flow.

I think the whole idea of "HOV lanes" is sort of stupid, but if they are going to have them, the traffic regulators certainly have a right to determine what counts as a "high occupancy vehicle".

Personally, I don't think the nation's founders had the intent of counting pregnant women twice in this calculation and that doesn't have anything to do with their thoughts about the Atrocity of Abortion.

So is the fetus a person or not?

Inasmuch as I'm pro choice, I support this woman 1000%...

We don't have HOV lanes in Florida. Instead, we have express lanes for which you pay a toll. A Sun Pass or EZ Pass is all you need. It doesn't matter how many people are in the car.

I was driving home from Orlando on I-4 the other day and took full advantage of the express lanes...

The Texas law says "two people". It does not specify anything about passengers.

This broad is probably some leftist loon trying to make a political point, so one more time: The law was written to influence drivers to have passengers with them to reduce traffic, fuel and carbon emissions. Those are the only reasons. There is only one person in the car, and that is the pregnant mother. She is only taking up one seat, and a baby doesn't have a choice to ride in a separate vehicle.

As I said before, in my state, if you kill a pregnant woman, you will be charged with two murders: one for the fetus and the other for the mother. But if she got an abortion within a specified amount of time, she is not charged with murder. Should she be under your standards?

From the article. (Why don't people read the article?)

Bettone ended up receiving a $215 citation and instructions from the issuing officer suggesting that if she fought it, it would most likely get dropped.

The officer believes the citation would get dropped if she fought it. That brings up the separate point of why an officer would write a citation he believes would get dropped (we know why) but it's not clear that the officers even believed her wrong.

The police offices job is to enforce the law, not enforce the law based on his or her prediction of the outcome. A judge may throw it out, he may give her whatever the max is. Like her, maybe the judge has a point he'd like to make as well.

This broad is probably some leftist loon trying to make a political point, so one more time: The law was written to influence drivers to have passengers with them to reduce traffic, fuel and carbon emissions. Those are the only reasons. There is only one person in the car, and that is the pregnant mother. She is only taking up one seat, and a baby doesn't have a choice to ride in a separate vehicle.

Why the laws were written are irrelevant, how they were written is all that matters.

The way they were written there has to be two people in the car, that is all the law stipulates.

According to Texas law the baby is a "people".

Forum List

Back