Well, I guess she has a point -- Pregnant Texas woman stopped for driving solo in HOV told police ...

How are you proposing to regulate how much every person drinks? This ought to be good. I will grab the popcorn.

Some won't drink. Some will drink some. Some will drink a lot. Nobody's business if they are not driving drunk.

The baby does not qualify as a passenger in the vehicle.
The law simple says "two people".

So, now you are saying the baby does not count as people?
Texas needs to make their laws consistent.

A person commits an offense if the person operates a passenger vehicle, transports a child who is younger than eight years of age, unless the child is taller than four feet, nine inches, and does not keep the child secured during the operation of the vehicle in a child passenger safety seat system.”

Violating this law is punishable by $25.

If a fetus is a child in Texas, they're a child under eight years old, and need a car seat.

A pregnant Texas woman used the reversal of Roe v Wade to argue she should be allowed to drive in a car-pool lane, since the baby she was carrying “is a life.”

By law, in order to use the high-occupancy vehicle lanes, drivers must have at least one passenger. But in Brandy Bottone’s eyes, she did. In her uterus.

Bottone was randomly stopped by a Dallas County Sheriff Department officer and given a ticket, The Dallas Morning News reported. “I pointed to my stomach and said, ‘My baby girl is right here. She is a person.’ He said, ‘Oh, no. It’s got to be two people outside of the body,’” she told the newspaper.

Though Texas penal code recognizes an unborn child as a person, the transportation code doesn’t. Bottone isn’t letting up anytime soon, though—she’s fighting the ticket in court on July 20. “This has my blood boiling,” she said. “How could this be fair? According to the new law, this is a life. I know this may fall on deaf ears, but as a woman, this was shocking.”
That’s awesome.

The problems with most laws is, they are generic, not specific. This is why there's so much hooha and nutters screaming and whining about everything all the time.

A law MUST be specific to a fault. Laws should NEVER leave any doubt or be "open for interpretation".
This is the major problem with laws in this country.

You cannot charge a pregnant woman who drinks with child abuse. Dumb question. Dumb thinking.
No, reasonable thinking, logical question.

If conservatives are going to be consistent in their inane claim that an embryo/fetus is a ‘person’ entitled to Constitutional protections – to the exclusion of the woman’s Constitutional protections – then a pregnant woman who drinks or smokes should be subject to charges of ‘child’ abuse.

And yet again: conservatives can’t have it both ways.

The problems with most laws is, they are generic, not specific. This is why there's so much hooha and nutters screaming and whining about everything all the time.

A law MUST be specific to a fault. Laws should NEVER leave any doubt or be "open for interpretation".
This is the major problem with laws in this country.

It's complete stupidity. We all know why these lanes were created. It was to influence people to carpool. A baby inside of a woman is not carpooling, it's one person carrying a baby.

I will give her credit for orginality in trying to get out of a traffic ticket still going to end up paying the ticket though don't see that arguement holding up in court.

From the article. (Why don't people read the article?)

Bettone ended up receiving a $215 citation and instructions from the issuing officer suggesting that if she fought it, it would most likely get dropped.

The officer believes the citation would get dropped if she fought it. That brings up the separate point of why an officer would write a citation he believes would get dropped (we know why) but it's not clear that the officers even believed her wrong.

Forum List

Back