Well regulated militia

Not unless on title 32 activation. Other than that, under state control. That is why it takes the Governor to activate for use in riots inside the state, or in times of other state emergency.
Guardsmen swear an oath joining the US Army when they become Guardsmen.

The possibility of federal service overseas is another reason why the National Guard are not the militia. The Constitution limits the federal role of the militia to enforcing the law, suppressing insurrection, and repelling invasion. None of those involve service outside US borders.

Also, militiamen have the right to take their weapons home with them. Guardsmen leave their weapons locked up on base when they go home.

Fine, then the 2nd states militias are required for what purpose now? For the security of a free State.
Yes.

Does it say all States must be "secure" or "free"? No.
I think it kind of does.

Does is say all adult white, males must arm themselves in case they're needed by their State's militia? No.
Correct. But it does protect their right to arm themselves if they so choose.

So what is the point? Given a well regulated State militia, given such militias are "required" for the purposes already described, then "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
That is incorrect. "Given" is not part of the meaning of the Second Amendment.

The point is:

a) to require the government to always have a militia, and

b) to forbid infringement of the right to keep and bear arms.

Point being "shall be infringed" given those two caveats (and only those two caveats). Otherwise, such as given "there is no militia presently" -- "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms," may "be infringed."
That is incorrect. There are no caveats. The Second Amendment forbids infringing the right to keep and bear arms.

Guardsmen swear an oath joining the US Army when they become Guardsmen.

The possibility of federal service overseas is another reason why the National Guard are not the militia. The Constitution limits the federal role of the militia to enforcing the law, suppressing insurrection, and repelling invasion. None of those involve service outside US borders.

Also, militiamen have the right to take their weapons home with them. Guardsmen leave their weapons locked up on base when they go home.
Not exactly but close. The enlisted take an oath to support and defend against all, to The constitution, to follow the orders of the President and the Officers appointed above them in accordance with UCMJ.
The Officers take an oath to protect and defend the constitution, to bear true faith and allegiance and to properly discharge the duties of their office

They don't swear an oath to the US Army. Both are the same oath as the Army.
Trust me. You don't want guardsmen taking their weapons home, running around the woods and streets on their own practicing with the kind of firepower they have on duty. I have seen local militia wannabes. You don't really want them running around practicing with theirs either. What I saw was certainly not what anybody would call well regulated.

Not exactly but close. The enlisted take an oath to support and defend against all, to The constitution, to follow the orders of the President and the Officers appointed above them in accordance with UCMJ.
The Officers take an oath to protect and defend the constitution, to bear true faith and allegiance and to properly discharge the duties of their office

When they swear the same oath that people swear when they join the Army, they are joining the Army.

Trust me. You don't want guardsmen taking their weapons home, running around the woods and streets on their own practicing with the kind of firepower they have on duty. I have seen local militia wannabes. You don't really want them running around practicing with theirs either. What I saw was certainly not what anybody would call well regulated.
Presumably they would be practicing at a firing range that was equipped to handle whatever they were practicing with.

But the Second Amendment is clear: Militiamen have the right to keep and bear arms.

When they swear the same oath that people swear when they join the Army, they are joining the Army.

Presumably they would be practicing at a firing range that was equipped to handle whatever they were practicing with.

But the Second Amendment is clear: Militiamen have the right to keep and bear arms.
Don't presume. The militia guy weren't when they were recruiting me. They were shooting with mac10s at quarter pound sticks of TNT, while drinking bear between firing orders and swaggering around fully loaded with their hardware hanging out. Needless to say, they did not get the benefit of my training.

Not unless on title 32 activation. Other than that, under state control. That is why it takes the Governor to activate for use in riots inside the state, or in times of other state emergency.

The Dick Act / National Guard authorization is written under clause 12; to raise and support armies, not the militia clauses #15 & 16. The National Guard fits every hated quality of a goddamn standing army; it is not "militia" in any constitutional context.

You should read Perpich v Dept of Defense. It explains the legal extent of what residual authority governors retained, after having their milita powers stolen.

That the governors had their state militia powers extinguished, forced Congress to give the states lovely parting gifts called "State Defensive Forces", a hinky carve-out to allow states to keep troops they are forbidden to have by the Constitution and that no legal structure exists anymore to call up, organize, train or deploy citizens as militia,

National Guard take the oath to the U.S. Constitution and to the state......

National Guard take the oath to the U.S. Constitution and to the state......
And your point?
Maybe radical citizens are better taking an oath to follow the guy that buys the most beer?

In the 1700s the term "well regulated" meant to be well provisioned.

Like; "a well provisioned militia, being necessary for the security of a free state, the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Don't presume. The militia guy weren't when they were recruiting me. They were shooting with mac10s at quarter pound sticks of TNT, while drinking bear between firing orders and swaggering around fully loaded with their hardware hanging out. Needless to say, they did not get the benefit of my training.
Since there are no government-organized militias today, you are probably talking about some private group that calls themselves a militia.

I think an actual government-organized militia would be careful about safety.

In the 1700s the term "well regulated" meant to be well provisioned.
Like; "a well provisioned militia, being necessary for the security of a free state, the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
Being well provisioned is part of it, but the militia will also need to have trained to a sufficient degree that they can fight as a single coherent unit instead of fighting as a bunch of random individuals.

In a way what the term means is that the militia kicks ass. A militia needs to be well equipped and well trained in order to be able to kick ass.

Being well provisioned is part of it, but the militia will also need to have trained to a sufficient degree that they can fight as a single coherent unit instead of fighting as a bunch of random individuals.

In a way what the term means is that the militia kicks ass. A militia needs to be well equipped and well trained in order to be able to kick ass.
There is nothing about a milita being trained in the Second Amendment. In fact the Second has been determined by the Supreme Court to be an individual right. No membership in any kind of organized or unorganized organization required, just be an American.

There is nothing about a milita being trained in the Second Amendment.
Sure there is. It is part of "well regulated".

In fact the Second has been determined by the Supreme Court to be an individual right. No membership in any kind of organized or unorganized organization required, just be an American.
True. And the Supreme Court was correct to rule this way.

We all get the vision of what a militia is from stories of the revolution. Men in bars and churches created a private armed group, and protected their country. They didn’t ask governor Winthrop “hey you mind if I get some friends together to protect our community?”

Sure there is. It is part of "well regulated".
Seeing that back in the day "well regulated" meant well provisioned like in having enough guns and ammo then that is not accurate. The purpose of the right was in order to make sure that the state was free the people needed access to arms and bearing arms and that should not be infringed upon by the government.

Seeing that back in the day "well regulated" meant well provisioned like in having enough guns and ammo then that is not accurate.
Except, that isn't what "well regulated" meant back in the day. That is only one part part of what "well regulated" meant.

"Well regulated" also meant that the militia had trained to a sufficient degree that they could fight as a single coherent unit instead of fighting as a bunch of random individuals.

Overall, "well regulated" meant that the militia was an effective fighting force that could kick ass. And a militia needed both supplies and training to achieve that.

Forum List

Back