Well? What did you have for dinner tonight??

Ate by myself while doing my Christmas shopping yesterday. Treated myself to Fuddruckers. Had the southwest burger (one lb'er) with fries and root beer.

Made my regular Tuesday cupcakes (cherry chip w/ cherry frosting and rainbow sprinkles) not realizing no one was actually here I usually give them out to. One guy who walks around the walking paths I gave one to. But now I've got like 25 more in the fridge. Hoping I'll see some people today out n about. The kdis are good fro offloading a platefull to assuming they're not all off at relatives' homes like. Longer they stay in the fridge, weaker my will becomes knowing theyr'e there. :)

No turkey for Christmas dinner, but instead had baby back pork ribs with BBQ sauce, corn on the cob, mashed sweet potatoes, baked beans and cole slaw salad. Homemade apple pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for dessert.

Lots of leftovers, great for a midnight snack in a couple of hours.

No turkey for Christmas dinner, but instead had baby back pork ribs with BBQ sauce, corn on the cob, mashed sweet potatoes, baked beans and cole slaw salad. Homemade apple pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for dessert.

Lots of leftovers, great for a midnight snack in a couple of hours.

Sounds a lot like what I made for my wife. I made grilled baby back ribs with BBQ sauce, grilled corn on the cob, twice-baked potatoes, homemade pumpkin pudding and coffee with Kahlua.

I decided to go with spiral-sliced ham, scalloped potatoes, and broccoli and cheese casserole for Christmas dinner. Naturally, there were dinner rolls and pumpkin pie, and I made candied yams for my friend, Chase, which he just took home with him. No one else in the house will eat the silly things, but he loves them.

My assigned side dish was a stuffing/dressing, so I made Wild rice with dried cherries and almonds.

Ingridents:

Wild rice
Dried cherries
celery (chopped)
shallots (minced)
celery leaves (chopped)
sage leaves (chopped)
tawny port wine
slivered almonds
butter

Soak the cherries in the port, boil the wild rice in excess water for 50 min, drain and rinse.
sautee the veggies in the butter, add the port and cherries, boil off the port, mix with the wild rice and sage and almonds.

serve then or the next day.

My assigned side dish was a stuffing/dressing, so I made Wild rice with dried cherries and almonds.

Ingridents:

Wild rice
Dried cherries
celery (chopped)
shallots (minced)
celery leaves (chopped)
sage leaves (chopped)
tawny port wine
slivered almonds
butter

Soak the cherries in the port, boil the wild rice in excess water for 50 min, drain and rinse.
sautee the veggies in the butter, add the port and cherries, boil off the port, mix with the wild rice and sage and almonds.

It sounds delicious, but I suspect I'd be the only one in the house eating it. Chase is allergic to all things related to onions and peppers (I know, right?! Makes cooking around him impossible); Joe will not eat celery under any circumstances, and has been known to refuse to even kiss me if I've been eating it; and Nicholas is a teetotaler, and has conniptions if I so much as cook with alcohol.

It's a good thing for these people I love them, because they drive me batshit sometimes.

I didn't get to make Christmas tamales yet, because the last two weeks have been crazed, schedule-wise. I'm thinking of grabbing the ingredients and making them for New Year's, though. Can I get some yeas or nays? ;)

Ingridents:

Wild rice
Dried cherries
celery (chopped)
shallots (minced)
celery leaves (chopped)
sage leaves (chopped)
tawny port wine
slivered almonds
butter

It sounds delicious, but I suspect I'd be the only one in the house eating it. Chase is allergic to all things related to onions and peppers (I know, right?! Makes cooking around him impossible); Joe will not eat celery under any circumstances, and has been known to refuse to even kiss me if I've been eating it; and Nicholas is a teetotaler, and has conniptions if I so much as cook with alcohol.

It's a good thing for these people I love them, because they drive me batshit sometimes.

Onion and pepper allergy?? that makes things difficult.

does that include garlic and shallots?

as for the others, thats being picky. feed them gruel and tell them to figure out how to season it themselves.

I have a relative who is allergic to pork (poor, poor woman) so i have to get creative on some of my dishes. I see it as a worthy challenge.

For people will allergies I have all the sympathy in the world and try to work with them. For those who are picky eaters... well thats what takeout menus are for.

We had a huge crowd, so it was pot luck spaghetti dinner. We did the 'sghetti and bread...and the rest of the horde brought appetizers, side dishes and dessert.

Oh, as wine and wine and wine....

Ingridents:

Wild rice
Dried cherries
celery (chopped)
shallots (minced)
celery leaves (chopped)
sage leaves (chopped)
tawny port wine
slivered almonds
butter

as for the others, thats being picky. feed them gruel and tell them to figure out how to season it themselves.

I have a relative who is allergic to pork (poor, poor woman) so i have to get creative on some of my dishes. I see it as a worthy challenge.

For people will allergies I have all the sympathy in the world and try to work with them. For those who are picky eaters... well thats what takeout menus are for.

He's okay on garlic, but shallots are too closely related to onions. It's the peppers that really kill me, because that includes a lot of spices and requires research into the exact origins of those spices. However, it beats taking him to the ER with his insides liquifying, so . . .

I have no idea where Nicky got the idea that alcohol is bad, such that even using it to flavor food freaks him out. I usually just cook the stuff and don't tell him the ingredients.

He's okay on garlic, but shallots are too closely related to onions. It's the peppers that really kill me, because that includes a lot of spices and requires research into the exact origins of those spices. However, it beats taking him to the ER with his insides liquifying, so . . .

I have no idea where Nicky got the idea that alcohol is bad, such that even using it to flavor food freaks him out. I usually just cook the stuff and don't tell him the ingredients.

yeah, no paprika, no curry powder, no chili powder. yikes thats alot of stuff.

yeah, no paprika, no curry powder, no chili powder. yikes thats alot of stuff.

No cayenne pepper . . . And it makes entire categories of food difficult if not impossible. Cajun food? Not even happening. Mexican food? Miserable. Indian food? Yeah, right.

I decided to go with spiral-sliced ham, scalloped potatoes, and broccoli and cheese casserole for Christmas dinner. Naturally, there were dinner rolls and pumpkin pie, and I made candied yams for my friend, Chase, which he just took home with him. No one else in the house will eat the silly things, but he loves them.

Lol...my dil LOVES candied yams...I bake them, mash them with cream and brown sugar, put them in a casserole and top with marshmallows and bake. I have to make them for every big dinner we have. I used to feel the same about them and made mom make them, until she started making me make them..now I'm not so fond of them, but my dil likes them so there you have it.

We got a huge, actually quite cheap, ham from Safeway, I think. It was was like the whole leg..the bone is probably 10 inches long or more and it's like the whole femur (or whatever that is). Omg, it's the best ham I've cooked in YEARS. Hams are kinda funny...it's kind of a crap shoot even when you're buying the good expensive ones. I've bought expensive hams that were so tough I couldn't figure out what to do with them.

Anyway, this was a really good one.

So we had ham, candied sweet potatoes, a really good green salad, and rolls.

I didn't even make a pie, but it didn't matter, we had munchies, cookies, candy... and everybody grubbed at dinner.

Tonight we'll have ham and probably white potatoes..I didn't make any yesterday but I will make some tonight.

Tomorrow...beans with that magnificent ham bone and as much of the cool ham juice as I can incorporate. I'm going to can some, too.

Lol...my dil LOVES candied yams...I bake them, mash them with cream and brown sugar, put them in a casserole and top with marshmallows and bake. I have to make them for every big dinner we have. I used to feel the same about them and made mom make them, until she started making me make them..now I'm not so fond of them, but my dil likes them so there you have it.

We got a huge, actually quite cheap, ham from Safeway, I think. It was was like the whole leg..the bone is probably 10 inches long or more and it's like the whole femur (or whatever that is). Omg, it's the best ham I've cooked in YEARS. Hams are kinda funny...it's kind of a crap shoot even when you're buying the good expensive ones. I've bought expensive hams that were so tough I couldn't figure out what to do with them.

I didn't even make a pie, but it didn't matter, we had munchies, cookies, candy... and everybody grubbed at dinner.

Tonight we'll have ham and probably white potatoes..I didn't make any yesterday but I will make some tonight.

Tomorrow...beans with that magnificent ham bone and as much of the cool ham juice as I can incorporate. I'm going to can some, too.

Oh, yeah. Got the beans all ready, a couple of hamhocks, that hambone, some bacon grease . . . gonna dice up a little of the leftover ham to go in them, and throw together a nice chunk of cornbread.

Christmas dinner for me tonight. No you're calenders are right, didn't do Christmas Weds this year so my brother's wife could spend Christmas with him at her fam's. Me, Mom, and they are doing a second Christmas today. Got my reg Friday batch of cookies in the oven...Oh crap! Brb ;)

Oh, yeah. Got the beans all ready, a couple of hamhocks, that hambone, some bacon grease . . . gonna dice up a little of the leftover ham to go in them, and throw together a nice chunk of cornbread.

Well I got the potatoes out but the kids decided they wanted mac n cheese instead...and they ate so much ham at lunch that they weren't much into it last night.

Tonight, we're eating ham & potato pie.

This weekend, I'm canning ham & beans..going to start the ham broth tonight, then can the beans in the broth...they will be yummy.

Forum List

Back