🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Well? What did you have for dinner tonight??

I would like to try to make teriyaki again. I bought a flank steak and made some before, but I cut it a bit too thick, I think, and it was a little on the tough side. It tasted good though. I'm going to try it again and slice it thinner and maybe marinate it a bit longer too. I even have the wooden skewers to make it more authentic. :D

My recipe for teriyaki calls for sirloin or tenderloin rather than flank steak. Flank is good for fajitas, but not much else, and here, it is about as expensive as a better cut of meat.

To get a thin cut, try freezing the meat for about an hour until it is not quite frozen. It is easier to cut that way if you have a sharp enough knife. Cut it against the grain.

My teriyaki sauce:
2 Tblspn of fresh grated ginger root
1/4 cup dark color soy sauce
1 Tblspn sake
1 clove garlic crushed
(increase as needed to cover the meat)

Marinate for about an hour in the 'frige, turning it several times. Cook to taste.

I would like to try to make teriyaki again. I bought a flank steak and made some before, but I cut it a bit too thick, I think, and it was a little on the tough side. It tasted good though. I'm going to try it again and slice it thinner and maybe marinate it a bit longer too. I even have the wooden skewers to make it more authentic. :D

My recipe for teriyaki calls for sirloin or tenderloin rather than flank steak. Flank is good for fajitas, but not much else, and here, it is about as expensive as a better cut of meat.

To get a thin cut, try freezing the meat for about an hour until it is not quite frozen. It is easier to cut that way if you have a sharp enough knife. Cut it against the grain.

My teriyaki sauce:
1 Tblspn sake
1 clove garlic crushed

Marinate for about an hour in the 'frige, turning it several times. Cook to taste.

I suppose, but I was trying to get away cheap. :D

That sounds good. I've never had sake before. Is it very strong?

My teriyaki sauce:
1 Tblspn sake
1 clove garlic crushed

I got my flank steak recipe from Alton Brown. Requires grilling it by laying it directly on the coals (you have to use chunks, rather than briquettes). I like to serve it with chimichurri sauce on the side.

Sake is about 16% alcohol, so think of it as a weak brandy or strong wine. Honestly, by itself, I do not care much for the taste, however, it mixes very well with Asian condiments and should be used whenever a recipe calls for sherry.
When cooking Japanese dishes it is also a good idea to have mirin on hand. Many recipes, (including ones for teriyaki), call out mirin for a marinate ingredient.

My teriyaki sauce:
1 Tblspn sake
1 clove garlic crushed

I got my flank steak recipe from Alton Brown. Requires grilling it by laying it directly on the coals (you have to use chunks, rather than briquettes). I like to serve it with chimichurri sauce on the side.

I watch this guy who grills on PBS sometimes, and I've seen him do that before. Never tried it myself. I have a gas grill, so that kind of makes that out of the question right now. :)

Sake is about 16% alcohol, so think of it as a weak brandy or strong wine. Honestly, by itself, I do not care much for the taste, however, it mixes very well with Asian condiments and should be used whenever a recipe calls for sherry.
When cooking Japanese dishes it is also a good idea to have mirin on hand. Many recipes, (including ones for teriyaki), call out mirin for a marinate ingredient.

I wonder how expensive it is? I might try using it next time I make the teriyaki if it's reasonable in price.

I wonder how expensive it is? I might try using it next time I make the teriyaki if it's reasonable in price
The sake you can use for cooking starts at about $8USD~$10USD per fifth. Sake for actual drinking goes up from there. Yes, you can drink the cheap stuff, I have and since my pallet is not discerning enough to tell any difference, I enjoyed it to a point.
If your local grocers carries wine, you can usually find a bottle of Gekkeikan sake there. My Japanese friends tell me that it is considered the "Budweiser" of sakes there. If not, you should be able to find it in any liquor, (ABC, package, whatever you call it), store. It should be with the wines.
Mirin is more expensive and harder to find. You may need to go to an Asian grocers to find that. A 300ml bottle is about $6USD or so.

Tonight pan fried salmon with roast potatoes........oh oh ohhhhhhhhhh Yum delicious hmmmm

looks like this

Tonight pan fried salmon with roast potatoes........oh oh ohhhhhhhhhh Yum delicious hmmmm

looks like this

I had salmon with a lemon-rosemary sauce over the weekend that was just amazing. I see that happening in my house the first time I find salmon on sale.

looks like this

I had salmon with a lemon-rosemary sauce over the weekend that was just amazing. I see that happening in my house the first time I find salmon on sale.

Salmon with lemon-rosemary sauce on top sounds absolutely delicious, Cecilie!!! :up:

looks like this

Salmon with lemon-rosemary sauce on top sounds absolutely delicious, Cecilie!!! :up:

I need more money. I have so many good food ideas, and who the heck can afford all the ingredients?!

I wonder how expensive it is? I might try using it next time I make the teriyaki if it's reasonable in price
The sake you can use for cooking starts at about $8USD~$10USD per fifth. Sake for actual drinking goes up from there. Yes, you can drink the cheap stuff, I have and since my pallet is not discerning enough to tell any difference, I enjoyed it to a point.
If your local grocers carries wine, you can usually find a bottle of Gekkeikan sake there. My Japanese friends tell me that it is considered the "Budweiser" of sakes there. If not, you should be able to find it in any liquor, (ABC, package, whatever you call it), store. It should be with the wines.
Mirin is more expensive and harder to find. You may need to go to an Asian grocers to find that. A 300ml bottle is about $6USD or so.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to use Sake this time, but my teriyaki came out great! Maybe next time I'll try it.

Last light for dinner I made orange chicken nuggets served over a bed of fried rice, corn and green beans. It was my first time making this dish and since it went over well, I am adding it to my quickly growing menu.

Roast beef with roasted veggies and mashed taters with gravy.

I found a recipe for pork roast with a Dijon mustard sauce in the crock pot that I'm planning to try over the weekend. Oh, and I've been concerned about my youngest son getting a good breakfast every morning, since my oldest son is not a morning person, so I found a recipe for overnight oatmeal made with yogurt, milk, oats, and whatever stir-ins one wishes, all put in sealed individual-serving containers. It actually sounds really tasty (if one likes oatmeal), and I'm going to make some up this weekend and give them a try.

Roast beef with roasted veggies and mashed taters with gravy.

I found a recipe for pork roast with a Dijon mustard sauce in the crock pot that I'm planning to try over the weekend. Oh, and I've been concerned about my youngest son getting a good breakfast every morning, since my oldest son is not a morning person, so I found a recipe for overnight oatmeal made with yogurt, milk, oats, and whatever stir-ins one wishes, all put in sealed individual-serving containers. It actually sounds really tasty (if one likes oatmeal), and I'm going to make some up this weekend and give them a try.

I love pork roast too. Roasted things are always delicious! :)

looks like this

We make it baked in foil. A little rosemary, thyme,olive oil and either fresh lemon or lime juice. Good stuff.

For dinner we had steak with sautéed fresh zucchini,yellow squash,onion and mushrooms.

Forum List

Back