Well? What did you have for dinner tonight??

I just had Atlantic Salmon, in a wine, lemon, caper sauce, with sauteed fresh spinach, boiled new potatoes in a light butter/parsley sauce, and sliced deep red beefsteak tomatoes....

It was delicious, and I'm stuffed to the hilt....still... ugh....

I love smoked wild Salmon with dill,brown sugar and pepper!!!
yummy yummy yummy! I love it with a dill sauce as well! the brown sugar sounds interesting....I can see how it would enhance the smoke flavor of the salmon...

It's really good Atlantic Salmon up here in Maine...it's expensive...around $10 a pound at the local grocer, this time of the year.... but I love it! So I buy it! :D my hubby loves it too!

We take a full fillet of salmon and heavy smoke it for 30 minutes at 120.
Then we coat it with dill,brown sugar and salt and pepper and smoke at 225 until it flakes.

Absolutely fantastic!!!

I had butter chicken last night. This is my third attempt at making butter chicken and I finally nailed it!!

My recipe came from the internet and then was “edited” by an Indian co-worker. It’s a lot of steps. I started at 9:00 am and ate at 5:30. But man is it worth it.

My first attempt a couple of months ago was close but no cigar. The internet recipe called for a tablespoon of honey. My co-worker took that out and made a point of saying “No honey”. I found the flavour too acidic. It needed a touch of sweetness to cut the acid in the tomatoes.

The second attempt included the honey and it was incredible. My daughter was visiting and said it was very good but . . . She said I needed to use garlic paste and ginger paste to infuse those flavours in the sauce. I couldn’t find the pastes in our white bread town so I used chopped instead.

So this time I did find the pastes, and used the honey. The sauce was so delicious that after I packed the leftovers into single serving freezer containers, I scrapped out the pot and licked the spoons.

So good it ought to be illegal.

You can get spices and pastes and other ingredients online for a really good price, if you're planning on using them very often.

The town I live in is whiter than white. There are a lot of Dutch and Germans here. I can’t even find lamb in the grocery stores.

I usually make a run into Hamilton or Toronto once or twice a month. Both have large ethnic communities and huge farmers markets so it’s easy to get ingredients when I go.

I hadn’t thought of online shopping for ingredients. I use it for lots of other things though. Thanks for the suggestion.

Badass Carne Guisada recipe....
  • 4 pounds chuck or bottom round beef, cut into 1-inch cubes
  • 4 tablespoons peanut oil
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 2 jalapeno chiles, seeded and, diced
  • 2 Serrano chiles, seeded and diced
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon ground cumin
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juices or 3 fresh tomatoes, diced
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 (12-ounce) bottle of dark Mexican beer such as Negro Modelo
Instructions
  1. Instructions:In a large pot or a Dutch oven, brown the beef on medium high heat in 2 tablespoons of the peanut oil, may have to do in batches.

2. Remove beef from pot, add the final 2 tablespoons of peanut oil and cook on medium heat the onions, jalapeños, and Serranos chiles for about 10 minutes or until the onions are translucent. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.

3. Throw in the browned beef, add the cumin, chili powder, oregano, cilantro, bay leaf, tomatoes, water, and beer and mix everything really well. Turn the heat up to high and bring to a boil and then turn the heat down to low and simmer uncovered for 2-4 hours, depending on how tender you want your meat. Serve warm.
Recipe Notes
If you want your meat to be distinct cubes rather than strings, lessen the cooking time. If you cook the stew for less time, you may also need to add some flour to thicken the gravy. Take out a 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid, stir into it a 1 tablespoon of flour and then incorporate this back into the stew. Stir until gravy has thickened. Also, I like my meat in big stringy chunks, but if you prefer smaller pieces, cut the meat into 1/2 inch cubes.

I highly recommend you go the full four hours.
Put this on flour or corn tortillas along with picco and a squeeze of lime.

I had butter chicken last night. This is my third attempt at making butter chicken and I finally nailed it!!

My recipe came from the internet and then was “edited” by an Indian co-worker. It’s a lot of steps. I started at 9:00 am and ate at 5:30. But man is it worth it.

My first attempt a couple of months ago was close but no cigar. The internet recipe called for a tablespoon of honey. My co-worker took that out and made a point of saying “No honey”. I found the flavour too acidic. It needed a touch of sweetness to cut the acid in the tomatoes.

The second attempt included the honey and it was incredible. My daughter was visiting and said it was very good but . . . She said I needed to use garlic paste and ginger paste to infuse those flavours in the sauce. I couldn’t find the pastes in our white bread town so I used chopped instead.

So this time I did find the pastes, and used the honey. The sauce was so delicious that after I packed the leftovers into single serving freezer containers, I scrapped out the pot and licked the spoons.

You can get spices and pastes and other ingredients online for a really good price, if you're planning on using them very often.

The town I live in is whiter than white. There are a lot of Dutch and Germans here. I can’t even find lamb in the grocery stores.

I usually make a run into Hamilton or Toronto once or twice a month. Both have large ethnic communities and huge farmers markets so it’s easy to get ingredients when I go.

I hadn’t thought of online shopping for ingredients. I use it for lots of other things though. Thanks for the suggestion.

That sucks...
I'm Dutch and Texas is full of Germans and we can get all kinds of lamb or any other cuts of meat.

This is a tri tip which is hard to come by if ya just look.
Find a proper butcher and you're golden.

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-22_21-10-7.png
    upload_2018-4-22_21-10-7.png
    243.4 KB · Views: 35

There is no butcher in this town. There are two supermarkets, and a local Farm Market in the summer. I don’t have a car.

I had the BEST butcher in Toronto. Gus. I miss him like crazy. I told my daughter, who now lives in Hamilton and she said “Oh me too”.

There is no butcher in this town. There are two supermarkets, and a local Farm Market in the summer. I don’t have a car.

I had the BEST butcher in Toronto. Gus. I miss him like crazy. I told my daughter, who now lives in Hamilton and she said “Oh me too”.

Is there a butcher in one of your supermarkets?
They know way more than you think they do and are sometimes proud to show their knowledge....play on that.

To be honest I have two butchers that I go to for high end cuts but I go to my local HEB grocery store to get the weird cuts.

Pineapple marinated pork loin smoked for three hours over apple wood and served with pear chutney.

upload_2018-4-22_22-30-26.png

Last edited:

They know way more than you think they do and are sometimes proud to show their knowledge....play on that.

The Sobey’s (high end food and priced the same) has a butcher counter but their staff isn’t very knowledgeable. When I asked about lamb I was told what was in the display cooler (a couple of very fatty chops at an outrageous price), was all they had.

The Food Basics has no butchers and quite frankly, their meat is sketchy. Even my neighbour, who buys a lot of his groceries at Giant Tiger (cheap Chinese imports) goes to Sobey’s for meat.

What I do have is a farmer friend who raises lambs, pigs and chickens - all free range, grass and organically fed. Her chickens are so tender and full of flavour my mouth waters just thinking about them.

Sadly it’s a small farm and she is limited on how many animals she can raise. You just have to catch her at the right time. Some of the better local restaurants have found her farm and will buy out her entire stock. I’m on my own and don’t buy a lot of meat, 2 or three lbs. a week, tops. So I view meat from the farm as a nice treat when I can get it.

The Sobey’s (high end food and priced the same) has a butcher counter but their staff isn’t very knowledgeable. When I asked about lamb I was told what was in the display cooler (a couple of very fatty chops at an outrageous price), was all they had.

The Food Basics has no butchers and quite frankly, their meat is sketchy. Even my neighbour, who buys a lot of his groceries at Giant Tiger (cheap Chinese imports) goes to Sobey’s for meat.

What I do have is a farmer friend who raises lambs, pigs and chickens - all free range, grass and organically fed. Her chickens are so tender and full of flavour my mouth waters just thinking about them.

Sadly it’s a small farm and she is limited on how many animals she can raise. You just have to catch her at the right time. Some of the better local restaurants have found her farm and will buy out her entire stock. I’m on my own and don’t buy a lot of meat, 2 or three lbs. a week, tops. So I view meat from the farm as a nice treat when I can get it.

If ya want a piece of meat real bad you cant go wrong with Snake River farms.
I've made some of the best beef and pork of my life using their cuts.
Wagyu and Kurobuta Ideal for BBQ

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-22_23-4-17.png
    upload_2018-4-22_23-4-17.png
    257.6 KB · Views: 36
  • upload_2018-4-22_23-6-24.png
    upload_2018-4-22_23-6-24.png
    257.6 KB · Views: 67

If ya want a piece of meat real bad you cant go wrong with Snake River farms.
I've made some of the best beef and pork of my life using their cuts.
Wagyu and Kurobuta Ideal for BBQ

Ignore the pork loin. I dont know why it keeps showing up?

I just had Atlantic Salmon, in a wine, lemon, caper sauce, with sauteed fresh spinach, boiled new potatoes in a light butter/parsley sauce, and sliced deep red beefsteak tomatoes....

I really wish I lived somewhere that fish would be an option more often, but in a desert, any sort of fish is ridiculously expensive.

I've never seen a grocery store that carries lamb (although the ones here carry bison, so go figure). Lamb has to be acquired through a butcher shop, and it's insanely expensive.

Problem is that the US has never been much for raising and eating sheep. We're all about the dead cow.

You can actually buy meat online and have it shipped to you. Not something you want to do frequently, unless you have some bucks, but if you want something special, it's an option.

I really wish I lived somewhere that fish would be an option more often, but in a desert, any sort of fish is ridiculously expensive.

All our Salmon is imported as well.

Forum List

Back